Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
RyanLCFC18

Paul Gallagher

Paul Gallagher  

215 members have voted

1. 1. Should Paul Gallagher stay or leave?

Gallagher, Dyer, Wellens and King can all leave for me. They have all become stale in midfield and are just not strong enough for a team aspiring for promotion.

But they'll probably stay as they get along with Nigel.

Presume they got along with Sven and Sousa as well considering they handed out the big, long contracts they are now sat on.

Gallagher, Dyer, Wellens and King can all leave for me. They have all become stale in midfield and are just not strong enough for a team aspiring for promotion.

a) They've already proved they are strong enough for a team aspiring for promotion.

b) You seriously want us to get rid of King?... :frusty:

I anticipate a barrage of abuse for my opinion on this having read through the thread and a faaaaaaar more negative response than for the article I posted the other day (which I greatly appreciate btw) but here goes!

An article I wrote on Gallagher a while back.

'Paul Gallagher is a luxury Leicester City cannot afford.'

http://www.thesharpe...ester-city.html

*dons tin hat*

He is far too lightweight for the Championship, especially when playing away from home. He is not strong enough to hold off tackles from opposition players. While he may get away with it during home games when he is given space, when he plays away from home against teams who will press and get stuck into him, his effect is completely negated

Nail on the head. :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

The people who think he's Leicester's answer to Iniesta clearly have never been to an away game.

For the type of player he is and the fact he's our set-piece taker, I expect him to at least be 2nd highest in the assist table.

My point is that in certain games when we really need a creative player to be at his best, he doesn't produce his best often enough.

He's not a bad player and I couldn't give a rats-arse if he shirks tackles. We've frustratingly underperformed for the last couple of seasons and players like Gallagher have played a big part in that. It's time to make a change, he's had his chance for the last 3 years and not come up with the goods.

This is just my point. What are these so called 'goods.' He's a midfielder who can create and assist goals and is generally one of our best players in terms of keeping the ball. Without a doubt our best passer of a ball and best set piece taker.

What he is not is a defensive, combative midfielder, nor a lightning quick winger who will beat his man and get to the byline. As i have said above he plays narrowly from either side and comes infield linking play. He cost £1million. We're not going to get anyone near that price who has scored 30 odd goals and got 30 odd assists in the last three seasons.

Gallagher has done this yet still apparently hasn't come up with 'the goods.' It's as if you're saying a defender hasn't produced the goods if he hasn't scored 25 goals a season, or a striker hasn't produced the goods if he can't get back and defend one on one against an opposition player.

He may at times be a bit of a pussy and not put his foot in but that is not his job in this team! I understand some get pissed off at that, but Jesus people need to realise the difference between criticising him for that and saying he 'hasn't come up with the goods,' because once people calm down and look at the amount he brings to this team with reference to his positive attributes surely you have to realise he is important and a luxury we most definitely do need at times.

This is just my point. What are these so called 'goods.' He's a midfielder who can create and assist goals and is generally one of our best players in terms of keeping the ball. Without a doubt our best passer of a ball and best set piece taker.

What he is not is a defensive, combative midfielder, nor a lightning quick winger who will beat his man and get to the byline. As i have said above he plays narrowly from either side and comes infield linking play. He cost £1million. We're not going to get anyone near that price who has scored 30 odd goals and got 30 odd assists in the last three seasons.

Gallagher has done this yet still apparently hasn't come up with 'the goods.' It's as if you're saying a defender hasn't produced the goods if he hasn't scored 25 goals a season, or a striker hasn't produced the goods if he can't get back and defend one on one against an opposition player.

He may at times be a bit of a pussy and not put his foot in but that is not his job in this team! I understand some get pissed off at that, but Jesus people need to realise the difference between criticising him for that and saying he 'hasn't come up with the goods,' because once people calm down and look at the amount he brings to this team with reference to his positive attributes surely you have to realise he is important and a luxury we most definitely do need at times.

Completely agree with that, but he is played in a position and formation that exposes his flaws and often left Peltier exposed, maybe with a better right back or more of a ball winning midfield he will play better as he can focus on what he does best. Whilst is not his job to win the ball back he is often needed to or required to because as a team we didn't do that very well last season, and if we want to play overlapping full backs we need a right "winger" that will drop back and cover. To be successful and have Gally in the team, he needs to be played in a position where he has no defensive duties.

Completely agree with that, but he is played in a position and formation that exposes his flaws and often left Peltier exposed, maybe with a better right back or more of a ball winning midfield he will play better as he can focus on what he does best. Whilst is not his job to win the ball back he is often needed to or required to because as a team we didn't do that very well last season, and if we want to play overlapping full backs we need a right "winger" that will drop back and cover. To be successful and have Gally in the team, he needs to be played in a position where he has no defensive duties.

Exactly. NP knows this as well and if he is going to fit in the team i agree it has to be with other slightly more naturally defensive minded players around. Just makes me laugh people saying well Gallagher's this and that because he was poor on a tuesday night in Watford, or Millwall or wherever because he didn't put in x number of crunching tackles or track his man 90 yards back to his own goal in the 94th minute.

Anyway, the poll seems to suggest people do realise he is a valuable player for us and i hope people really get behind him and drown out the pointless booing from small sections so he can regain his desire to at least want to celebrate when he scores in front of us, because at times last year it became embarrassing the criticism of him even if he did score.

a) They've already proved they are strong enough for a team aspiring for promotion.

b) You seriously want us to get rid of King?... :frusty:

a) when was this? The midfield has been our downfall for the past 3 seasons and these 4 have been virtual ever presents.

b) We should have sold in January, weve missed the chance to get in decent money now. I really liked King up until midway through the 2010/11 season, but it has been a huge downward spiral since. I've been hoping he'd be able to add more to his game and it's sad but he looks finished at this level, you cant have a someone who hides, doesnt tackle or provide any energy or pace playing centre midfield. Even his forward runs we're nullified last season, so without that what else has he got to offer?

a) when was this? The midfield has been our downfall for the past 3 seasons and these 4 have been virtual ever presents.

b) We should have sold in January, weve missed the chance to get in decent money now. I really liked King up until midway through the 2010/11 season, but it has been a huge downward spiral since. I've been hoping he'd be able to add more to his game and it's sad but he looks finished at this level, you cant have a someone who hides, doesnt tackle or provide any energy or pace playing centre midfield. Even his forward runs we're nullified last season, so without that what else has he got to offer?

a) When we finished 5th with them all in the side regularly...

b) Oh right I see, one relativley dissapointing (Like practically every other Leicester player) season and he's finished at this level. He's still in his early 20's FFS, we can't go round selling young players who have a good track record, and have performed well in the past just because of one bad season, that's ludicrous.

Outstanding player for us,

Positionally very good, watch whenever we move the ball out of defence, he is almost always in a good place to receive and distribute.

His dead ball work is probably the best in the club currently.

Vision, he is one of the few players we have at the moment who is capable of seeing the opportuntiy for a defence breaking pass.

Passing, he is one of the few players at the club who is capable of delivering a defence splitting pass.

He is a goal scoring midfielder.

I will admit he doesnt run round puffing and panting and throwing himself into every challenge, but seriously, if we are going to mount a challenge for promotion, we need footballers, not just 70s style workhorses.

the anti Gally crowd remind me of the yak "he only scores goals" haters.

Yes, it still counts, but that's how the big scorers score so many each season. To be honest, any keeper doing their homework would know Gallagher bangs it straight down the middle 90% of the time. He hasn't missed yet but it's only a matter of time. I'm only saying it's a bit unfair to bring up goalscoring stats as there's only one man taking them if he's on the pitch. Pretty much the same with in range free kicks as well. If he scored 10+ from open play, i'd be impressed with that from the wing and it would be a much better comparison

Only many, many years of hanging around other LCFC supporters can induce such a mind-set !!!!

He divides opinion so much, does Gallagher. But I've never really liked him. It isn't a myth that he doesn't try, because at times there is a lack of effort with him. And he backs out of challenges constantly.

Why sell good squad players? We need good squad players.

Seriously, the "good squad player, but we don't really need him" cliché is so annoying! Do people think we're only going to use 11 players all season? And if we had to call on other players, crap ones would be fine?

I said he is a decent squad player, and if the right offer came in, I'd sell him. And I never said "we don't really need him".. I know that more than 11 players will play this season, but Gallagher is far too lightweight.

He is far too lightweight for the Championship, especially when playing away from home. He is not strong enough to hold off tackles from opposition players. While he may get away with it during home games when he is given space, when he plays away from home against teams who will press and get stuck into him, his effect is completely negated.

I know accessory posted this, but I'll do it again, because this is a great quote. I agree with all of this, totally.

For me, the article sharpefox refers to, sum Gallagher up completely, luxury and lightweight, and that is even before you take into account 90% of his dead balls are rubbish. I'm def no Gallagher fan and would not miss him one bit, as stated above somewhere, if the right offer comes, let him go, but failing that, im hoping if i have to watch him this season, it will only be as a bit part player, coming off the bench at best, as in my view, if he starts, its like playing with 10 men, and 9 when Wellens is on with him :whistle::thumbup:

Nail on the head. :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

The people who think he's Leicester's answer to Iniesta clearly have never been to an away game.

Yes, loads of us think he's our answer to Iniesta, when plenty of us are saying he'd be good as a squad player.

There's a big overlap in Foxestalk visitors who dislike Gally but adore Beckford, when even in a rather poor season hit by injury Gally's league stats compare favourably with Beckford's, especially when you consider his job is to press on the wing as well as make an impact up front... as opposed to /just/ making an impact up front.

In summary people are hypocrites.

Despite spending £20m Sven didn't strengthen Gally's position & gave him a new bigger contract, Pearson spying the form/injuries of Gally strengthened it straight away with Marshall. Now we have 2 good technical players.

I hope he stays, but I'd sooner him leave for his own & his family's sake if our fans are going to give personal abuse like they did... Nothing wrong with letting your feelings be known about performance after the match, but I've never seen the ridiculous & personal behaviour aimed at Gally before.

Good player, one of the best technically in our squad just lacks phyical presence I wouldn't really want him playing on a tuesday night away a millwall if you know what I mean

lol

I get what you're saying, just hilarious how many cliches you've used in that comment :P

a) In the season that we finished 5th the midfield coped pretty well. Obviously, time is catching up with Wellens since then.

b) The time-frame you pick is interesting. If accurate, King's decline coincides exactly with Sven's tenure (except the 2nd half of last season, when it appears he was struggling with a nagging injury).

He is pointless, woeful, selfish, slow, can't head, can't tackle and a one trick pony. Get rid!

The one trick is scoring and creating goals, I wouldn't say that's a massive problem.

I don't think Gally has particularly done any worse than any other player. I suppose when you get fans pinning all of their hope and expectation on 3 players ( Beckford, Gallagher and Wellens ) when they start to not achieve the levels that people are expecting we get this trend of people jumping on the "let's blame ..." bandwagon. I think he should stay, he has much to offer. His final ball last year was overall pretty good, excluding corners.

Archived