Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
RyanLCFC18

Paul Gallagher

Paul Gallagher  

215 members have voted

1. 1. Should Paul Gallagher stay or leave?

This thread shows that people with negative opinions are more forceful at getting their points across. Almost two thirds want him to stay and less than a quarter want him to go. This is not the impression I get on match days or on this forum.

If Paul Gallagher was excellent in the air and a great tackler then I don't think he would be an attacking midfielder/ winger/ striker. The fact he can play those three roles well and is probably our best technical player demonstrates why I voted he should stay.

Two footed too.

I don't want him to leave, I really like him. He's not our best player but nobody could say with any conviction he's worse than other players in our squad.

Also, the abuse him and his missus get on Twitter is f**king disgusting. Posting things about his little girl, hoping he breaks his legs and the like. I really hope they aren't actually City fans...

Our best technical player but hasn't been able to produce it regularly enough or when really needed in the past 3 seasons, what will make next season any different?

What would you class as regularly enough?

2009/10 - 33 starts - 7 goals (4th highest of squad) - 5 assists (3rd highest of squad)

2010/11 - 38 starts - 11 goals (3rd highest of squad) - 9 assists (highest in squad)

2011/12 - 24 starts - 10 goals (3rd highest of squad) - 8 assists (2nd highest of squad)

If that's not scoring/assisting regularly enough then literally nobody in the squad is doing so, surely?

I know the end of the season alot of people slated a few of our players basically saying they're past it and no longer good enough for us and with Gallagher being one of them i just wanted to see how many fans actually wanted him to stay or leave. Personally i really rate him, he may not score each game but none of our players do... but he does always give his all and is skillful and a overall great player for this league and club. Id be dissapointed if Leicester did let him leave.

Cool Sig Bro lol

Think we could utilise his position al little better with a better all around player, but Im not too fussed

I dont hate him either

2009/10 - 33 starts - 7 goals (4th highest of squad) - 5 assists (3rd highest of squad)

2010/11 - 38 starts - 11 goals (3rd highest of squad) - 9 assists (highest in squad)

2011/12 - 24 starts - 10 goals (3rd highest of squad) - 8 assists (2nd highest of squad)

If that's not scoring/assisting regularly enough then literally nobody in the squad is doing so, surely?

sorry didn't you know, if you get played in midfield and are neither lightning quick or put in potential leg breakers then you're not good enough for Leicester fans

Well said, and just look at the number of starts as well, 10 goals and 8 assits in 24 starts, for a midfielder in this division is fantastic surely?

Well said, snd just look at the number of starts as well, 10 goals and 8 assits in 24 starts, for a midfielder in this division is fantastic surely?

You'd have thought so, but look at the quote in my sig, that was in a debate about Gallagher. Apparently if you don't throw yourself into every header and waste energy chasing things down then "scoring goals means nothing".

Bit unfair to the other players to be bringing up how many goals he's scored as he's been taking the penalties for the last 2 seasons. Take them away and how many has he scored? Much fairer stats in comparison to the others

Why take them away?

He is our penalty-taker because he's the best at it.

Bit unfair to the other players to be bringing up how many goals he's scored as he's been taking the penalties for the last 2 seasons. Take them away and how many has he scored? Much fairer stats in comparison to the others

I can't remember exact figures but I'd say I'm 90% sure that even without penalties he'd still be top 3 for goals at the club in the past two seasons. Bare in mind, as well, Howard missed a penalty when Gally was injured two seasons ago and (I think) the only penalty we had that Gally didn't take this season was also missed by Danns. Penalty does not necessarily mean free goal. It's still got to be scored. So it still counts.

For the type of player he is and the fact he's our set-piece taker, I expect him to at least be 2nd highest in the assist table.

My point is that in certain games when we really need a creative player to be at his best, he doesn't produce his best often enough.

He's not a bad player and I couldn't give a rats-arse if he shirks tackles. We've frustratingly underperformed for the last couple of seasons and players like Gallagher have played a big part in that. It's time to make a change, he's had his chance for the last 3 years and not come up with the goods.

For the type of player he is and the fact he's our set-piece taker, I expect him to at least be 2nd highest in the assist table.

My point is that in certain games when we really need a creative player to be at his best, he doesn't produce his best often enough.

He's not a bad player and I couldn't give a rats-arse if he shirks tackles. We've frustratingly underperformed for the last couple of seasons and players like Gallagher have played a big part in that. It's time to make a change, he's had his chance for the last 3 years and not come up with the goods.

I see what you're saying, I really do. But it's a question I keep saying to everyone on here, who in our squad has actually performed "well enough" according to any of our fans? Literally nobody. If we're kicking them out because they've "done alright but not got us promoted" we're going to need 30 new players every transfer window. Gallagher still offers things others don't, isn't a major cúnt in the dressing room and is perfectly capable of performing when he's played and won't pick a fight if he's on the bench.

I'd definitely keep him.

I anticipate a barrage of abuse for my opinion on this having read through the thread and a faaaaaaar more negative response than for the article I posted the other day (which I greatly appreciate btw) but here goes!

An article I wrote on Gallagher a while back.

'Paul Gallagher is a luxury Leicester City cannot afford.'

http://www.thesharpeend.com/2012/02/paul-gallagher-is-luxury-leicester-city.html

*dons tin hat*

Decent squad player at best, other than that he doesn't offer anything really. If it was up to me, I'd sell him.

Why sell good squad players? We need good squad players.

Seriously, the "good squad player, but we don't really need him" cliché is so annoying! Do people think we're only going to use 11 players all season? And if we had to call on other players, crap ones would be fine?

He is very hit and miss, when he is on form he scores, when he is off form he plays like a fairy and is poor in and around the field.

Think we can do better than Gallagher on the wing, I wouldn't mind if he stayed but if he went I wouldn't bother me either.

I can't remember exact figures but I'd say I'm 90% sure that even without penalties he'd still be top 3 for goals at the club in the past two seasons. Bare in mind, as well, Howard missed a penalty when Gally was injured two seasons ago and (I think) the only penalty we had that Gally didn't take this season was also missed by Danns. Penalty does not necessarily mean free goal. It's still got to be scored. So it still counts.

Yes, it still counts, but that's how the big scorers score so many each season. To be honest, any keeper doing their homework would know Gallagher bangs it straight down the middle 90% of the time. He hasn't missed yet but it's only a matter of time. I'm only saying it's a bit unfair to bring up goalscoring stats as there's only one man taking them if he's on the pitch. Pretty much the same with in range free kicks as well. If he scored 10+ from open play, i'd be impressed with that from the wing and it would be a much better comparison

If the right offer comes in for him let him go, and I would say that about most of the squad tbh.

I would also say there is a fair chance he will be here at the start of this season and if he is then forget about last season's inconsistency and just support him, judge him and criticise him on what he does next. Last few seasons have been pretty tough, hard to get any sort of consistency with the change of managers, styles, players and everything else. The same for the rest of the squad too, and manager.

Gallagher, Dyer, Wellens and King can all leave for me. They have all become stale in midfield and are just not strong enough for a team aspiring for promotion.

But they'll probably stay as they get along with Nigel.

Archived