Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
MattGamble92

Saturday has made me so confident

Can't believe the murmurings of discontent amongst some supporters leaving the ground and on the radio.

I must admit i was more confident before the start of last season's opening game but after that, although we won 1-0, it left me with more worries than expectations. Before yesterday's game i fully expected a win. But the way in which we won pleased me the most. Even at 0-0 in the first half, they may have "bossed possession" but their attempts to play it out from the back where superbly stopped by the two wingers, the work horse Matty James and the ever reliable Drinkwater. Vardy's work rate was superb, as was even Beckford's. Last season we really did lack that closing down up top. It's so important to have players that can get stuck in like that at this level.

Talking of getting stuck in, Matty James was immense. I don't think he's necessarily a great footballer but i think his work rate and style is perfect for the championship and he's exactly the sort of player you want in the middle of the park at this level. There is a smiliar theme with all of the new signings, Jamie Vardy looks to have the all round package for a Championship striker. He is a defender's nightmare, quick in between the lines, great first touch and another one with that work rate.

Liam Moore also deserves a big amount of credit. I would much rather have him as back up this season to St Ledger than an overpriced, over paid egotistical twat who thinks he has a god given right to be in the starting eleven. To link up with your centre half is such a hard thing to do but he looks like he's been playing with Big Wes for years. Great prospect at the age of 19.

I suppose it was the organisation and work rate of everyone on the pitch (especially the new signings) that impressed me most. It may seem like a small improvement but i think it's a fundamental reason we missed out on the top 6 last year. This side looks ideal to cope with Championship football.

Yes, it's one game. They'll be times when you throw your pie to the ground or radio at the wall, but something tells me we have a side with a real ability to cope with the physical and mental demands of the Championship, along with that bit of quality, we have a real chance. UP THE FOXES!

Totally agree with this. We have such a better squad than last time around. You can say that not one person is certain to start for us, week in, week out. We have so much competition all over the park, the only issue is CB, but Liam Moore did a fantastic job, and once SSL and Whitbread are fit, this will only strenghten the squad, and make Pearson's selection more difficult.

To think that a top class player like Neil Danns was only on the bench yesterday, shows that we have strength in depth, which is something we didn't have under Sven. We have so many options, we have 5 top strikers fighting for 2 places and the same is reflected all over the pitch.

I really believe that this is our year, and yesterday's performance has only made me more confident of a top 6 (if not top 2) finish come what May.

Come on you Blues.

Can't believe the murmurings of discontent amongst some supporters leaving the ground and on the radio.

I must admit i was more confident before the start of last season's opening game but after that, although we won 1-0, it left me with more worries than expectations. Before yesterday's game i fully expected a win. But the way in which we won pleased me the most. Even at 0-0 in the first half, they may have "bossed possession" but their attempts to play it out from the back where superbly stopped by the two wingers, the work horse Matty James and the ever reliable Drinkwater. Vardy's work rate was superb, as was even Beckford's. Last season we really did lack that closing down up top. It's so important to have players that can get stuck in like that at this level.

Talking of getting stuck in, Matty James was immense. I don't think he's necessarily a great footballer but i think his work rate and style is perfect for the championship and he's exactly the sort of player you want in the middle of the park at this level. There is a smiliar theme with all of the new signings, Jamie Vardy looks to have the all round package for a Championship striker. He is a defender's nightmare, quick in between the lines, great first touch and another one with that work rate.

Liam Moore also deserves a big amount of credit. I would much rather have him as back up this season to St Ledger than an overpriced, over paid egotistical twat who thinks he has a god given right to be in the starting eleven. To link up with your centre half is such a hard thing to do but he looks like he's been playing with Big Wes for years. Great prospect at the age of 19.

I suppose it was the organisation and work rate of everyone on the pitch (especially the new signings) that impressed me most. It may seem like a small improvement but i think it's a fundamental reason we missed out on the top 6 last year. This side looks ideal to cope with Championship football.

Yes, it's one game. They'll be times when you throw your pie to the ground or radio at the wall, but something tells me we have a side with a real ability to cope with the physical and mental demands of the Championship, along with that bit of quality, we have a real chance. UP THE FOXES!

Well said but i'll wait and see how we perform away on Tuesday before getting my hopes up too much. It is a lot more encouraging than last season though

The real proof in the pudding will be these next two away not taking anything away from yesterdays performance, but if we are to challenge for promotion we need to win away from home and put a winning run down as a marker.

Crikey!!

It seems to be happening again..

I'm all for being positive about this Pearson squad, it looks young and energetic and I think can only get better.

BUT... Tis but one game in, and for me, Peterborough were pants.

We have a big week coming up against two teams who I reckon will be strong at home. If we can get to 4.45 next Saturday afternoon and still be as positive I'll be well happy.

Well said but i'll wait and see how we perform away on Tuesday before getting my hopes up too much. It is a lot more encouraging than last season though

Totally agree with this. If we can get another 3 or 4 points from the next 2 games, then I'll be really excited. Yesterday was job done and right now I'm optimistic, but not getting too carried away yet.

The real proof in the pudding will be these next two away not taking anything away from yesterdays performance, but if we are to challenge for promotion we need to win away from home and put a winning run down as a marker.

Win your home games, a point away from home is a good result, especially if it's against teams expected to be thereabouts...

If we get a couple of wins though, I'm going to stick my house on a Champions League win in 2014/15

Win your home games, a point away from home is a good result, especially if it's against teams expected to be thereabouts...

If we get a couple of wins though, I'm going to stick my house on a Champions League win in 2014/15

I know what you are saying no guarantee that we will win all our home games that is why winning away from homes alleviates some of the pressure I think, but as you say an average of 2 points a game will get you promotion.

Many previous seasons including last season we've seen games where it looked like we'd finally got everyone putting in the maximum effort and playing as a cohesive team and hopes were raised only to be dashed quite quickly, fine be confident but I've seen so many false dawns that i'll wait until we've played in a similar vein for a few games yet before I get lulled into that kind of feeling.

I know what you are saying no guarantee that we will win all our home games that is why winning away from homes alleviates some of the pressure I think, but as you say an average of 2 points a game will get you promotion.

Yeah but Charlton and Blackburn away could be two of the toughest away games of the season for all we know. The next four look tough to be honest.

If we want top 2, then the target has to be 2 points per game (average). If we win on Tuesday we will effectively have a bonus game at Blackburn. That's when things can get interesting. Being in that position IMO releases the players psychologically. That's when you start to see amazing runs occur, because the players can play with a lot more freedom. So winning your first 2 in a row is massive for me. Gives you a great chance of carrying that momentum into 5 games, 10 games, or maybe even longer.

Was having this conversation with my mates in the pub last night. Actually, drawing away from home, thus gaining one point ISN'T that good is it?

Of course, we'd like to win every game, but it would be better for points if we, for example, beat Charlton then lost to Blackburn. We'd get three points rather than two (for two draws).

Three points ( one win) from the next two games and I'd be more than happy.

The closing down second half was exactly what we missed last year so often. Times we had teams snapping at our heals as soon as we had the ball and we were the same yesterday.

First half we weren't doing it as much and seemed content to let them muck about with it in positions that weren't going to hurt us, but if they did stray out of their first third we were at them still.

The best teams all start from that kind of effort.

Positive start.

The three teams who went up last season won double figures of away games (Reading and West Ham with 13 each, Southampton managed 10), and those figures are what we should aim for.

I didn't listen to the radio and don't listen to most of the idiots that chunter at football matches ..... So I'm shocked that you heard lots of negativity!

What on earth was there to be negative about??? I've not been that optimistic about our chances this season and don't share the blind faith that some do in NP's ability or style of play ...... HOWEVER I couldn't have enjoyed yesterday more!!!!!

We played quick, pacey attacking football, without giving the ball away needlessly too often. When not in possession we were sublime!!! We closed down immediately, got tackles in thick and fast, never let them have a second in comfortable possession anywhere on the pitch (the one reason they were criticised about passing along their back line in the first half was that was the only place they had a tiny bit of time to do so as 2 against 4 gave them an extra few seconds - but even then we closed quickly!).

I was thoroughly impressed with our performance, our style of play, our new signings, and the strength in depth to bring replacement high energy onto the pitch after just 55 minutes ..... I've become really excited about our season after that one performance .... it was THAT good for me.

"Peterborough were poor", for me is a cheap shot, and doesn't give us credit for a great team performance.

Crikey!!

I'm all for being positive about this Pearson squad, it looks young and energetic and I think can only get better.

We have a big week coming up against two teams who I reckon will be strong at home. If we can get to 4.45 next Saturday afternoon and still be as positive I'll be well happy.

This :thumbup:

Crikey!!

Spot on mate. Tuesday is a game we should win, but as we've seen before, it's a dangerous game to underestimate promoted teams. I was really pleased with yesterdays performance, I'll start getting ridiculously excited after Blackpool at home. By that point we'll have played two teams who could well struggle, and two who should be at the top end of the table.

All positive signs though!

Have absolutely nothing to complain about from the 2nd half performance - and the fact that we won with a clean sheet against a squad we could quite easily have become unstuck against last season was a big plus. Definitely a promising start, however we have a challenging pair of matches coming up this week - away at Charlton who stormed League One last season, and away at Blackburn. If we can get 3 or 4 points from these two matches, I'll be very happy. 6 points... that'd be absolutely fantastic, but not expecting it.

It's only one match so far, and on paper we were at home to a far inferior team, so we should have won. But we did win, and as I said we've been prone to losing this kind of match in recent times so all is good so far!

Very good post but Col City's made a very fair point. I was far more encouraged with yesterdays win than I was with any of our wins under Sven last year (although that Derby game was pretty special) and it seemed like almost an ideal display, because we turned the game around in terms of performance.

But it's very true what Col says, lets not forget Peterborough were extremely poor.

I love the enthusiasm I've got at the minute and I do feel like I'm getting a bit carried away, because after all this is Leicester and we face two tough games this week, everyone knows full-well what we're like.

Having said that, I actually see no reason we can't win at both. Honestly mean that.

Good start against a team that took 4 points from us last season. These are the games that we only drew or lost last year. 3 games in a week, 3 wins, no goals conceded and seven goals scored (2 from corners) gives me a reason to feel optimistic. However, I reserve judgement until the league settles down after 10 games to assess our credentials as promotion candidates.

I didn't listen to the radio and don't listen to most of the idiots that chunter at football matches ..... So I'm shocked that you heard lots of negativity!

What on earth was there to be negative about??? I've not been that optimistic about our chances this season and don't share the blind faith that some do in NP's ability or style of play ...... HOWEVER I couldn't have enjoyed yesterday more!!!!!

We played quick, pacey attacking football, without giving the ball away needlessly too often. When not in possession we were sublime!!! We closed down immediately, got tackles in thick and fast, never let them have a second in comfortable possession anywhere on the pitch (the one reason they were criticised about passing along their back line in the first half was that was the only place they had a tiny bit of time to do so as 2 against 4 gave them an extra few seconds - but even then we closed quickly!).

I was thoroughly impressed with our performance, our style of play, our new signings, and the strength in depth to bring replacement high energy onto the pitch after just 55 minutes ..... I've become really excited about our season after that one performance .... it was THAT good for me.

"Peterborough were poor", for me is a cheap shot, and doesn't give us credit for a great team performance.

TEN QUID. HE'S GOTTA PAY TEN QUID.

Good start against a team that took 4 points from us last season. These are the games that we only drew or lost last year. 3 games in a week, 3 wins, no goals conceded and seven goals scored (2 from corners) gives me a reason to feel optimistic. However, I reserve judgement until the league settles down after 10 games to assess our credentials as promotion candidates.

This.

Last year we would have hit the self destruct button and drawn or lost a game like that. Massive improvement in that respect

Archived