Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Lineker's Left Foot

Matty James - what do people think?

Sometimes players are quietly effective - you don't really notice them, but they do a lot of mopping up, release simple balls to creative players and keep the game moving I thought James did ok at Wolves and we certainly moved the ball around better in the second half, whether this is a direct result of James' influence, I don't know.

Not a patch on Danns mind it was Sven who bought Danns so we can expect to give Danns away to one of our competitors

Because Pearson has given Sven signings Nugent, Beckford, Schmeichel, Konchesky and St Ledger away to our competitors hasn't he?

Not a patch on Danns mind it was Sven who bought Danns so we can expect to give Danns away to one of our competitors

Danns is ****ing shit. Can't tackle, gives away free kicks, gives away possession, couldn't find a blue shirt in the City Megastore, can't read the game, rubbish off the ball... I could go on about how absolutely rubbish Danns is all day.

When watching him live it's quite evident he's a decent player, think he needs to be closer to the other midfielder. Danns made him look poor against Burton by standing 30 metres away next to the strikers, James and Drinkwater will work well.

• 1 month later...

Sorry to repost but I don't see why people see him as so 'average'. I like him, he's a good passer 'tidy' as they say, and helps us keep possession - we really need someone to do that. It's his style of play, he's like carrick, he won't burst past people but his contribution is essential to how the team performs. Someone said a long term replacement for Wellens, I agree, and James is less ponderous.

Reminds me a little of Michael Johnson. Very good technically, not mobile or sharp enough to make use of it. Hopefully with time this will change and he will improve, unlike Johnson who clearly never had the application or attitude to do so. Saying that, he's the one that I've been most underwhelmed by out of the summer signings, I had high hopes that he'd be a really key figure.

I think he's a good passer of the ball but I'm still unsure as to what his proper position/role in the side is?

He's quite quick, physically not very strong ( or doesn't look it) but composed on the ball.

Whereas you can kinda say what most of the players attributes and weaknesses are, I don't really know yet with James other than what I've just written.

Can't work out what he's meant to be. I thought he did quite well after coming on against the Palace but, other than that he seems painfully average. Doesn't do much wrong but doesn't seem to do much, well, at all. Sort of a middleman. Andy King without the goal threat or the creativity.

Perhaps he's playing it cautious because he's a new boy and there's more to come? But, so far, he seems solid and no more.

Archived