Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
purpleronnie

Safe Standing - Support the Early Day motion

5 hours ago, IrememberBobHazell said:

Honestly and genuinely no. I am absolutely 100% anti standing at football. No windups.

You are absolutely 100% anti-improving the safety of fans who are determined to stand irrespective of regulation and facility?

Very irresponsible.

21 minutes ago, ajthefox said:

lol

Saying you're anti-cheese sandwich by referencing an article in the Sun in a thread about safe standing. 

Please tell me the irony is accidental...

Unsurprisingly The Sun was the first thing that pops up on Google when you type in 'Killed by a cheese sandwich' lol 

I don't appreciate the mantle of irresponsible. I don't see their being anything responsible about reverting to a system with few benefits apart from allowing paying spectators to go back in time for dubious reasons. 

If you want to get sentimental buy some Hovis, ride a rickety bicycle and wear short trousers. Also there is not one good other reason (apart from civil liberties) in its favour. It won't reduce admission price, it won't provide better atmosphere and won't give you a better view of the game.

Edited by IrememberBobHazell

7 minutes ago, IrememberBobHazell said:

It won't reduce admission price

That's not the point of the campaign.

7 minutes ago, IrememberBobHazell said:

it won't provide better atmosphere

That's subjective, please provide evidence.

8 minutes ago, IrememberBobHazell said:

(it) won't give you a better view of the game.

It won't give you a worse 'view of the game' than you get already.  

One of the old reasons for standing was a cheaper admission price, like the old Spion Kop at Filbert Street.

It's for those who wish to bring forward change to make the case, I have merely stated elsewhere I have been to grounds (including Filbert Street) where standing added nothing to  the atmosphere. Sure it was rocking that night we beat Cambridge 5-0 in the play off semi final but it was also rocking when the seats were on the Kop when Matty Elliott scored the winner against the Villa to get us to Wembley in the league cup. Events cause atmosphere not the surroundings. 

I'm lucky, I'm above average size so my view will always be good. However for those for who nature wasn't so fortunate will lose out, especially if the proverbial 'Big Dave' from the Dog and Duck arrives in front.

2 hours ago, IrememberBobHazell said:

I don't appreciate the mantle of irresponsible. I don't see their being anything responsible about reverting to a system with few benefits apart from allowing paying spectators to go back in time for dubious reasons. 

If you want to get sentimental buy some Hovis, ride a rickety bicycle and wear short trousers. Also there is not one good other reason (apart from civil liberties) in its favour. It won't reduce admission price, it won't provide better atmosphere and won't give you a better view of the game.

Again, this is not "reverting" to anything as I made clear in an earlier post. This technology has never been available in England before.

Other benefits other than civil liberties:

- Spectator safety: Literally tens of thousands of people stand up at football grounds every week. This is not going to change. Rail seating, with crush barriers on every single row, will allow them to do so safely.

- Comfort: Standing can be more comfortable for supporters with conditions such as back problems (like me), and taller people (also me). Should we not be allowed to choose to do so rather than being forced to sit on what can often be extremely uncomfortable plastic seats for extended periods of time?

Care to refute either of those points?

Edited by Voll Blau
  • Like 3

17 minutes ago, IrememberBobHazell said:

One of the old reasons for standing was a cheaper admission price, like the old Spion Kop at Filbert Street.

Yes, becasue with an open terrace and no regulation you can cram more people in, meaning you could charge less. Modern systems that implement a 1 to 1 ratio of seats to standing spaces, don't have the same economies of scale thus can't charge less. 

I'm not trying to pick your opinion apart to the nth degree, but it's been clear to me for a number of years that there are no viable arguments against rail seating that can't be picked apart extremely quickly. 

2 hours ago, IrememberBobHazell said:

It's for those who wish to bring forward change to make the case, I have merely stated elsewhere I have been to grounds (including Filbert Street) where standing added nothing to  the atmosphere. Sure it was rocking that night we beat Cambridge 5-0 in the play off semi final but it was also rocking when the seats were on the Kop when Matty Elliott scored the winner against the Villa to get us to Wembley in the league cup. Events cause atmosphere not the surroundings. 

I'm lucky, I'm above average size so my view will always be good. However for those for who nature wasn't so fortunate will lose out, especially if the proverbial 'Big Dave' from the Dog and Duck arrives in front.

I don't disagree with this albeit it's not always the case. But ask yourself what do people do when these events occur? They stand up. This is the time most people suffer injuries in all seater stadiums falling over the seat in front of them in the excitement of the moment. With rail seating/standing this cannot happen. 

In fact it's an argument to make all seats rail seating/standing to ensure no one suffers when they rise up in durng those events

It's not as though we've been given fantastic seating areas in every ground either, the away ends at Loftus Road and Selhurst Park were very cramped in terms of leg room. Standing would be preferable (and more comfortable) in those places in particular.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...