Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
purpleronnie

Safe Standing - Support the Early Day motion

5 minutes ago, Harry - LCFC said:

I understand and agree with the complaints above about how unresponsive the government has been. But for me it's worth remembering that the issue keeps rolling on.

More good news there with United. Clubs weren't interested five years ago, now several are. I don't agree with promisedland when he says that this will never happen, I think it's just a matter of time when the 'in favour' side has such a better argument.

I think this sums it up. The against argument is getting weaker, particularly now the Hillsborough inquest results have sunk in.

Safe standing is gaining momentum, and because the against argument these days is pretty much just "but, but the 80s..." from people who don't go to the football, it will continue to do so. Celtic have been great. The Premier League have realised that a good atmosphere adds to their brand. It will happen. Within 5 years, in my opinion.

• Like 2

Just now, Ted Maul said:

I think this sums it up. The against argument is getting weaker, particularly now the Hillsborough inquest results have sunk in.

Safe standing is gaining momentum, and because the against argument these days is pretty much just "but, but the 80s..." from people who don't go to the football, it will continue to do so. Celtic have been great. The Premier League have realised that a good atmosphere adds to their brand. It will happen. Within 5 years, in my opinion.

You really the think the government will change their mind?  No reason why they would. 

5 minutes ago, purpleronnie said:

Not really true Harry, these discussions between clubs and fans have been going on for years.  In fact i remember Man utd talking to their fans 4 years ago about this.

To get the government to change legislation is a massive task and I can't see any reason why they would.  The sports minister has said they'll be no recommendation to any change.

I think there's been a noticeable increase in interest from clubs over time.

The Lib Dems dabbled with the issue a while back. Why? Votes and political popularity. Okay it wasn't much but there's your reason. I don't think it's a good argument to say that the current unfavourable status quo means things won't ever change. There are many examples of politics responding to growing demands from the public.

5 minutes ago, Voll Blau said:

Wouldn't be a bad vote winner for the Tories...

You reckon?

How many people who were undecided would be swayed just by the Tories allowing safe standing? I don't imagine it would be many at all.

Edited by ajthefox

13 minutes ago, ajthefox said:

You reckon?

How many people who were undecided would be swayed just by the Tories allowing safe standing? I don't imagine it would be many at all.

Might encourage a few football-going lads not really arsed about politics to do so. Could make all the difference in certain constituencies.

On ‎23‎/‎12‎/‎2016 at 11:21, Voll Blau said:

Wouldn't be a bad vote winner for the Tories...

This would not be a vote catcher.

All peados to get life or hang would catch votes.

Life for thieving scum bag MP's would get votes.

Standing at football I would doubt do anything.

Also should anyone casting a vote on a standing at football issue even get a vote.

Teresa May "Get the football standing voters on side then we can invade Europe. Teach them fockers a lesson for saying no to me over Brexit" lollol

8 hours ago, sylofox said:

This would not be a vote catcher.

All peados to get life or hang would catch votes.

Life for thieving scum bag MP's would get votes.

Standing at football I would doubt do anything.

Also should anyone casting a vote on a standing at football issue even get a vote.

Teresa May "Get the football standing voters on side then we can invade Europe. Teach them fockers a lesson for saying no to me over Brexit" lollol

It's probably likely to do the opposite as some of the general public will see the headline of government supports standing at football and be brought back to judgements about Hillsborough despite the findings.

It would be quite an easy one to get the opposition votes I recon.

The sooner they do this the better, My shins are like a patchwork quilt of 'scenes'

• 1 month later...

Because of problems with my hips and legs I can no longer go to games because of great discomfort, safe standing happening would make it possible for me again (I can neither sit nor stand for long periods - I need to alternate) so deffo I'm all for it.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, TK95 said:

100% for this. Which area do you think would get the nod though?

Maybe block K (I think or L) next to the away fans. That seems to be a noisy area. Used to have my season ticket there back in the championship. 

Or alternatively the Kop 

It would have to be the corner (like Celtic) at the KOP end. It's the only place it can be at the KP without blocking sitters views. It's not a bad thing though as hopefully in years to come the demand will get higher and the standing area will slowly increase along the KOP (probably wishful thinking)

23 hours ago, David Hankey said:

I bought my season ticket on the basis I would have a SEAT!!

Like others have said you'll be fine. Unless you happen to have your seat in the area the club choose for safe standing. I'm guessing then you'll have to stand or relocate .

• 1 month later...