Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
purpleronnie

Safe Standing - Support the Early Day motion

10 minutes ago, baker11 said:

When it comes, to have the quality atmosphere we wan't it involves actively singing. We have to have fans that want to sing.

It sounds like your suggesting we don't, we create a great atmosphere at times, some games not so good, and towards Christmas the performance's sucked the life out of it.

On the whole, I have traveled up and down the country, and our home atmosphere is as good as some of the best, and a lot better than most.

We have more than enough fans to create a good atmosphere, but it's depends on where city put the safe standing, if they even do.

It's happening en masse in europe, it's happening in Scotland and it's happening in the football league. Standing is not inherently unsafe, what is inherently unsafe is standing in a seated area. The arguments against it are riddled with holes.

It may still be years away, but it is only a matter of time until the powers that be wake the fvck up and realise that this has to happen. Can't wait.

36 minutes ago, StanSP said:

I know it's one of the biggest game of their seasons but the standing section at Celtic looks incredible. Always bouncing, jumping about and the sound from it is superb.

It's Like that a lot, the GB are the best group in the UK by miles.

Not sure if this can even be classed as a baby step given those lower leagues can have standing anyway. 

Edited by purpleronnie
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, DB11 said:

And probably won't be in another 5, 10 years. A lot of pointless talk about something that won't change

You're right. Let's just give up.

In spite, of course, of the fact it's literally in place and being used at a ground on the same island, in place but sadly unavailable for use at a ground in the division below us, plenty of clubs expressing interest in adopting it, the Football League coming out the other day as being keen on it, constant and growing pressure from supporters across the country etc...

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, DB11 said:

And probably won't be in another 5, 10 years. A lot of pointless talk about something that won't change

You've given nothing to back up that assertion. Indeed I think the evidence favours the optimistic individual here.

This issue is now taken seriously by clubs and major footballing bodies - that did not happen five years ago. Before, they mostly dismissed it as a "return to the dark days". I don't hear that naive view expressed as much now.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.fsf.org.uk/latest-news/view/rail-seating-licensed-in-league-one-and-two#sthash.xvViqLL6.dpuf

The prospect of safe standing being introduced to top-flight English football has moved a step closer after the government body responsible for ground safety granted a request from the Football League to permit rail seating in 21 grounds that are not subject to all-seater requirements.

This means League One and League Two clubs can install rail seats if they wish - the English Football League says "the symbolic value of this decision should not be overlooked."

Writing to EFL clubs at the end of last week, chief executive of the EFL Shaun Harvey said: "The symbolic value of this decision should not be overlooked as I believe it demonstrates an encouraging direction of travel that will hopefully lead to further progress on our other aims in the period ahead.

"It is also recognition that the representations we are making about EFL Clubs wanting to offer fans a modern and safe supporter experience in seats and on terraces is increasingly being heard and understood.

"Our objective remains to secure the opportunity for any of our Clubs to have standing accommodation at their stadium and we will continue to lobby on this basis."

FSF safe standing campaign co-ordinator Peter Daykin welcomed the announcement.

"This represents more progress in the campaign to reintroduce standing at top-flight football and as such is extremely welcome," Peter said. "Along with standing at Scottish Premier League matches through the Celtic rail seating trial, this is another thing supporters can do this year that we couldn't last. 

"However it still means rail seating is only available to clubs in Leagues One and Two where standing is already allowed and whilst the SGSA describe it as "dual purpose", at present they are not licensing it as seated accommodation.

"In practical terms this news won't herald any meaningful change. It is highly unlikely clubs at this level will install new rail seating areas just for standing or upgrade existing safe terraces to a technology that is more expensive but offers no clear benefit.

"Overall we’re pleased the SGSA have opened the door for new, dual purpose technologies in this way and we look forward to the debate continuing now that English Premier League clubs have mandated the league to look into the issue of standing.

"We hope the outcome, after proper consultation, will be that they join their EFL colleagues in pushing the British Government for a change in the law so clubs and supporters can begin to experience more choice in how we all watch football - whether that's from seats, dual purpose technologies like rail seating or existing safe terraces."

- See more at: http://www.fsf.org.uk/latest-news/view/rail-seating-licensed-in-league-one-and-two#sthash.xvViqLL6.zjSnKUo0.dpuf

On 31/01/2017 at 10:33, norwichfox said:

Because of problems with my hips and legs I can no longer go to games because of great discomfort, safe standing happening would make it possible for me again (I can neither sit nor stand for long periods - I need to alternate) so deffo I'm all for it.

I know you'd want something a bit more concrete mate but there is a real sweet spot in the rows a few from the back (JJ/KK/LL i think) across the Kop that's perfect for what you describe, where everyone in front of you is sat and everyone behind is stood. I'm the same as you - though I am able to stand throughout and prefer to, I do like to sit down for short spells here and there, at half time and when there's a lull in play etc.

Been in that area in SK2 for all the CL home games and it's been great for that. You can switch between the two freely and nobody moans, plus it's a great view if you like being behind the goal.

• Like 1

I realise I might be swimming against the tide on this one but I raised my only voice (in solitary maybe) to say my piece.

i can see no benefit in going back to standing whatsoever. I've stood on the Kop at filbert street when it was like a morgue, atmosphere comes from success and anticipation hence its great at the KP at the moment, especially on European nights.

You won't pay less and you will probably end up with a worse view etc etc. To me is a nostalgic nonsense.