Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
desertfox86

Waghorn

Still, lovely lad, tries dead hard and the past two games have been in best in ages bless him.

This "tries hard" stuff now gets used against the lad. There was a damn sight more to his game than just trying hard. In fact for me he looked the best forward on the pitch against Forest, for either team. No question he needs to starting taking those chances, but people had written him off as incapable of even putting in a decent performance two games ago.

This "tries hard" stuff now gets used against the lad. There was a damn sight more to his game than just trying hard. In fact for me he looked the best forward on the pitch against Forest, for either team. No question he needs to starting taking those chances, but people had written him off as incapable of even putting in a decent performance two games ago.

Absolutely!

It wasn't a 'header' though, it was a 'shoulder'.

If we had 11 Waghorns we'd have no goals in the for column.

Still, lovely lad, tries dead hard and the past two games have been in best in ages bless him.

If we had 11 gordon banks we would maybe keep a clean sheet......

What a stupid comment. No one is asking waghorn to play lb or cm.

He's had 11 shots in league and cup. Missed the target with 7 of them.

He's made 10 appearances.

And how much football has he had prior to these games? Fack all! His quality is shining through now he's had some game time and and support from the manager, one goal will change everything for him.

And how much football has he had prior to these games? Fack all! His quality is shining through now he's had some game time and and support from the manager, one goal will change everything for him.

By quality I assume we're ignoring his shooting accuracy (which by the way has always seen him miss the target more than he hits it, THOUGH when he does hit the target his goals to shots OT ratio was the best)

I have always rated Waghorn and if everyone in the team gave the effort Waggie gives, we wont be too far off promotion. His goals will come and really think he needs more starting opportunities with Nugent- here's hoping Nugent's injury isn't too serious.

Let's just get right behind all the players as I am sure decent support goes a long way to giving players more confidence.

I mean ahem

He's had 11 shots in league and cup. Missed the target with 7 of them.

He's made 10 appearances.

Nuge went 10+ without scoring, Beckford similarly, it happens to all strikers. I'm not saying he's definitely going to come good, but my point 3 games ago when he was being slated was that he had hardly kicked a ball for a year. So he wouldn't be match fit or have a great deal of confidence. So it was rather unfair to judge so quickly.

The lad has been loaned out, shoved onto the wing, given 10 minutes here or there or been injured for a large chunk of the time he's been here post Pearson first spell. In fact I wouldn't be shocked if this is the longest run of games up front since he did sign. With that in mind I'm happy to give him a fresh start and start judging him not he is getting some sharpness back.

You can see a huge improvement in his game over the last two, something three games ago we were told he wasn't good enough to do. As I said for me his all round play was excellent on Saturday and stood out above Nugent, Cox and Sharp.

Time will tell, if he doesnt start scoring he doesn't and we will probably move to sign someone in Jan if we can sell Beckford.

Nuge went 10+ without scoring, Beckford similarly, it happens to all strikers. I'm not saying he's definitely going to come good, but my point 3 games ago when he was being slated was that he had hardly kicked a ball for a year. So he wouldn't be match fit or have a great deal of confidence. So it was rather unfair to judge so quickly.

The lad has been loaned out, shoved onto the wing, given 10 minutes here or there or been injured for a large chunk of the time he's been here post Pearson first spell. In fact I wouldn't be shocked if this is the longest run of games up front since he did sign. With that in mind I'm happy to give him a fresh start and start judging him not he is getting some sharpness back.

You can see a huge improvement in his game over the last two, something three games ago we were told he wasn't good enough to do. As I said for me his all round play was excellent on Saturday and stood out above Nugent, Cox and Sharp.

Time will tell, if he doesnt start scoring he doesn't and we will probably move to sign someone in Jan if we can sell Beckford.

I don't argue with any of this.

However 3 points NOW is as important as 3 points in March/April.

If he's gonna start scoring it needs to be soon!

I don't argue with any of this.

However 3 points NOW is as important as 3 points in March/April.

If he's gonna start scoring it needs to be soon!

It is but at the moment he and futacs are our only options. The latter I fear will alter how we play and will remain plan c.

Pearson might not be in a position to bring in who we need until Jan, until we've got rid of players, or maybe even the summer... Who knows.

I'm encouraged by Waghorns performances and I think he unlucky on sat with the one cleared off the line. We'll see how it goes.

There are a few posters who seem to be this way almost incessantly, or from what I've read anyway.

Yourself, IndieRich and others make some good posts but don't seem to debate ie. to try to critique players, issues and formations. Instead simply opting for the 'everything is fine' sort of mentality, when actually it's good, but could maybe be better?

I think that's a bit harsh, I've had some great debates with some of the posters on here - yourself included. I just take exception to posters like seenitall and others on occasion, who just seem to be critical of the players and management for no reason and people who just talk absolute bollocks - this is my club at the end of the day, and if I think people are slagging off the players or the management for no reason, or that they're using a load of bollocks to try and back up their argument, I'm not going to let that slide.

On the whole though, I really enjoy hearing the opinions of people who know what they're talking about on here, and it's abundantly clear to me who those people are. If people don't think Waghorn is the answer, that's fine by me, I like to put forward my argument and I like to hear what other people have to say on the subject too - I've changed my opinions on several players because of arguments put forward by other people - I thought Waghorn was useless and would never be able to do anything for us a few weeks back, but my opinion's changed due to his recent performances and because of some of the stuff I've read on here.

So, to summarise - I love a debate and I'm more than capable of seeing the shortcomings of our players and management. I just don't suffer fools gladly!

Keep up the good posts Col - maybe stay away from the keyboard next time you have ten pints though! Hahaha.

As an example... I think we'd all agree that 'assists' are a crucial part of the game and a key attribute to an attacking player. Yet, none of our players appears in the top 27 (that's 27) players in the division for assists. Now mentioning this, for me, is important. It shows that we have lots of possession but simply don't make or take enough chances... Exactly like last season.

But stuff like this seems to just be overlooked. For me it tells a story which shouldn't be ignored because to discuss it would make us 'disloyal'.

Oh I agree, but I don't think not creating enough chances is the problem - it's that we're not sticking them away IMO. As you can tell from my recent posting, I'm backing Waghorn to step up with the goals soon, but you're right - we do need to start sticking away the masses of chances we're creating. It's been the story all season.

I disagreed with you when you said we should splash the cash on Austin in January, but now... well I think he'd be out of our league and our price range, but I'd love to have him in the side. I don't even think he's streets ahead of the strikers we've got at the minute, he's just in that vein of form where everything he touches turns to gold and he's bursting with confidence - he knows that every time he walks on the pitch, he's probably going to put the ball in the net. I believe we've got players who are capable of that too, but we need to get that rub of the green and get someone on a run of scoring. It's not just confidence we need, it's that bit of swagger too.

You take exception to me because I can't stand the 'party line' stance you take and I call you for saying 'bore off' every time I say something. We have a few more points on the board than this stage last season but the same frailties are there - first it was because the team that Nige inherited was Svens and therefore rubbish so 'bore off' then it was because there were disruptive influences that Nige couldn't cope with 'bore off' you say, then its because Nige needs a summer to build his team, which he got, and now its because we are 'playing better than in 10 years but the officials are against us 'bore off' and on and on you go...........

But its 6 points from 6 games W1 D3 L2 and now we don't have any strikers and our makeshift defence was all at sea against Forest and we are starting to lag behind the leaders and are as close to 15th as second points wise but seemingly moving south rather than north - all we want is a good Leicester side and maybe we have to wait a few years to get one but , and this is for Niges sake as well, the time to act is now not in January when it might be too late again.

You are amazing with your 'I thought Waghorn was useless but now I've changed my mind and because I'm me I expect everyone to agree with me and when I thought he was useless I was right and now I think he's good I'm right'.........and that makes me a fool?????

It is but at the moment he and futacs are our only options. The latter I fear will alter how we play and will remain plan c.

Pearson might not be in a position to bring in who we need until Jan, until we've got rid of players, or maybe even the summer... Who knows.

I'm encouraged by Waghorns performances and I think he unlucky on sat with the one cleared off the line. We'll see how it goes.

So now he needs another summer to get it right????

So now he needs another summer to get it right????

Seriously, what is the fvcking rush? Have some patience you impetuous moron. Rome wasn't built in a day etc. Pearson has earned the right to have all the time he needs to build slowly and take this club up in a sustainable manner.

Seriously, what is the fvcking rush? Have some patience you impetuous moron. Rome wasn't built in a day etc. Pearson has earned the right to have all the time he needs to build slowly and take this club up in a sustainable manner.

The rush is that the Thai's want promotion this season, they've already missed out twice and time is running out. I personally think Pearson won't see the season. This squad has promise but we're far from the finished article and I can see the Thai's being tempted for one last push this January with a bigger name. I hope not, but it's a feeling I have. As I said, we have potential but I think we'll finish between 5-8th and i'm not sure that'll be good enough. The squad is lacking reliable finishers.

Impetuous (10 years we've been trying to get it right so maybe) moron = doesn't agree with you. Why has Pearson earned the right? When he gets us up he will have earned it but 18th in the form table (last 6 games) suggests he has lost his way a bit that's all and I think he needs to either swallow his pride, man up and get Beckford scoring winners for us instead of a rival or bring someone in on loan who can do a job for us - loaning out he's good at but loaning in????

You take exception to me because I can't stand the 'party line' stance you take and I call you for saying 'bore off' every time I say something. We have a few more points on the board than this stage last season but the same frailties are there - first it was because the team that Nige inherited was Svens and therefore rubbish so 'bore off' then it was because there were disruptive influences that Nige couldn't cope with 'bore off' you say, then its because Nige needs a summer to build his team, which he got, and now its because we are 'playing better than in 10 years but the officials are against us 'bore off' and on and on you go...........

But its 6 points from 6 games W1 D3 L2 and now we don't have any strikers and our makeshift defence was all at sea against Forest and we are starting to lag behind the leaders and are as close to 15th as second points wise but seemingly moving south rather than north - all we want is a good Leicester side and maybe we have to wait a few years to get one but , and this is for Niges sake as well, the time to act is now not in January when it might be too late again.

You are amazing with your 'I thought Waghorn was useless but now I've changed my mind and because I'm me I expect everyone to agree with me and when I thought he was useless I was right and now I think he's good I'm right'.........and that makes me a fool?????

You slag me off for 'toeing the party line' but you rubbish anyone who doesn't agree with you - how are you any different to me? You've never respected mine, or anyone else's opinions, why should I respect yours? You've never shown me a shred of courtesy, why should I treat your bullshit opinions with anything other than contempt? Some of the absolute rubbish you come out with just beggars belief... 'Waghorn scored all his goals for Leicester in League One'.

The difference between the two of us is that you seem to relish in pointing out the negative, whereas I prefer to look at the positive, which is why we will never see eye to eye. Funny how there weren't many posts from you while we were on a seven match unbeaten run that saw us top the league, what's up, was there nothing to moan about...? I'm not being funny, but how many games do you see or even listen to over there anyway? I have a lot more respect for the opinions of people who watch our players week in, week out.

You slag me off for 'toeing the party line' but you rubbish anyone who doesn't agree with you - how are you any different to me? You've never respected mine, or anyone else's opinions, why should I respect yours? You've never shown me a shred of courtesy, why should I treat your bullshit opinions with anything other than contempt? Some of the absolute rubbish you come out with just beggars belief... 'Waghorn scored all his goals for Leicester in League One'.

The difference between the two of us is that you seem to relish in pointing out the negative, whereas I prefer to look at the positive, which is why we will never see eye to eye. Funny how there weren't many posts from you while we were on a seven match unbeaten run that saw us top the league, what's up, was there nothing to moan about...? I'm not being funny, but how many games do you see or even listen to over there anyway? I have a lot more respect for the opinions of people who watch our players week in, week out.

Here we go - you're a better supporter because you go to the games lalalalalalala bore off kid - there's dozens on here who can't/won't go to games and their opinions are as valid as the 'real' fans. How many games do you need to see to know whether we are doing well or not - the TV games? The few live games you can get to? If we can get promoted then I can see all the games right? But when will this happen?

As for the not posting on the 7 match unbeaten run - that's right, I was enjoying it and mildly amused by the smugness of the self righteous..........but not driven to keep saying how great things were as for me it takes more than one swallow etc......

Never seeing eye to eye is fine with me - you keep looking for the positives in 'useless Waghorn' (were you having a bad day when you thought that?) and I'll keep an eye on the reality......could do better is all I'm saying.

The time is now for Waghorn to step up to the plate and score the goals no excuses he has to take those chances presented to him, if he cannot we just need to bring in a loan striker to offset some of the pressure, if Nugent is out on Saturday most likely as we won't want to risk him.

Here we go - you're a better supporter because you go to the games lalalalalalala bore off kid - there's dozens on here who can't/won't go to games and their opinions are as valid as the 'real' fans. How many games do you need to see to know whether we are doing well or not - the TV games? The few live games you can get to? If we can get promoted then I can see all the games right? But when will this happen?

As for the not posting on the 7 match unbeaten run - that's right, I was enjoying it and mildly amused by the smugness of the self righteous..........but not driven to keep saying how great things were as for me it takes more than one swallow etc......

Never seeing eye to eye is fine with me - you keep looking for the positives in 'useless Waghorn' (were you having a bad day when you thought that?) and I'll keep an eye on the reality......could do better is all I'm saying.

I'm not saying anyone's a better or worse fan for going to games, I'm saying people who go to games and watch the players have a more valid opinion on how we're doing than someone who doesn't because they've witnessed what's happening on the pitch. I can see Man United are top of the league, I can probably tell you who's scoring for them and what their results are like. Can I tell you anything about how they're playing? No I can't, because I haven't watched or listened to any of their games.

My view on Waghorn was that he couldn't do a job for us because I was going on his past performances. What I've seen from him with my own eyes over the past few matches has changed my mind.

Your replies are as valid as the next mans. Always well thought out and put forward in a mature way.

The issue I have with your point of view (which again, you are entitled too) is why you use certain statistics to re-inforce your arguments rather than the bigger picture.

The form guide over the last 6 games? A better reflection of out progress is surely the league table taking into account all of the games? Unless you're the Arsenal Invincibles side, every football team has bad, good and indifferent patches over the season so taking one snapshot of it (6 game form guide) isnt going to be at all representative of, well anything really just as the 7 match unbeaten run wouldnt be. The season as a whole shows obvious progress as our league position is better than this time last year.

Also getting Beckford back and scoring winners? When Beckford is on the pitch, Pearson doesnt have strings to control him like a puppet. He gets his instructions before the game and during his time here, hasnt delivered to the standard required. I like Beckford and think he's a good player, but sometimes that just isn't enough. Which is why throughout history, managers have shipped players out of clubs against the wishes of fans when they see fit for the good of the team. Which for all of your points cannot deny that the league position we find ourselves in now is better than previously with a strikeforce of Beckford and Nugent.

Should he get another chance here? I regret my answer is no. He just doesnt fit the style and for as much as I like him as a player, he isnt good enough to try and build a team around.

Your replies are as valid as the next mans. Always well thought out and put forward in a mature way.

The issue I have with your point of view (which again, you are entitled too) is why you use certain statistics to re-inforce your arguments rather than the bigger picture.

The form guide over the last 6 games? A better reflection of out progress is surely the league table taking into account all of the games? Unless you're the Arsenal Invincibles side, every football team has bad, good and indifferent patches over the season so taking one snapshot of it (6 game form guide) isnt going to be at all representative of, well anything really just as the 7 match unbeaten run wouldnt be. The season as a whole shows obvious progress as our league position is better than this time last year.

Also getting Beckford back and scoring winners? When Beckford is on the pitch, Pearson doesnt have strings to control him like a puppet. He gets his instructions before the game and during his time here, hasnt delivered to the standard required. I like Beckford and think he's a good player, but sometimes that just isn't enough. Which is why throughout history, managers have shipped players out of clubs against the wishes of fans when they see fit for the good of the team. Which for all of your points cannot deny that the league position we find ourselves in now is better than previously with a strikeforce of Beckford and Nugent.

Should he get another chance here? I regret my answer is no. He just doesnt fit the style and for as much as I like him as a player, he isnt good enough to try and build a team around.

At last someone to 'debate' with - I hear you that the Nuge Becks strike force was off colour last season but so was the defence and don't even mention the midfield. Watching Knocky on Saturday and the other bits I've seen of him (and this seasons lack of Thai coverage is playing havoc with my 'games watched' stats, managed over 20 last season) and the way Dyer is running into space better than before suggests the service we could get to him now would be way better than last season - even Nugent found it difficult to do anything for long spells of last season.

Strikers come and go in form but two winners and a spectacular strike for Hdd in 6 games suggests that there is form there and if those three goals had been for us in the past 6 games then we could have been looking at 12 rather than 6 points.

I am always rubbish with stats anyway (as my Waggy gaffe proves) but the 'last 6 games' form is regularly used in football to show what is happening to a team and ours is poor - Huddersfields is better and 6 points of that has come from someone we are no doubt still subbing the wages for.

Archived