Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
corbyfox1884

Football has a habit of evening things up ......

It's a myth that poor ref decisions even themselves out over the course of a season. The year we were relegated

to Div 1 we lost at least 10pts due to bad refs. This season we are already 8-10pts down and I doubt we'll ever get

them back.

The year we were promoted from League One as Champions we got an unreal amount of 'iffy' decisions in our favour. No one looks to them though, no, it was because the players were amazing and playing with confidence. That's ok, but when we lose you can't then say it was the ref's fault not the players.

I read an article near the end of last season where they worked out what the prem table would look like if all of the iffy decisions were corrected. Was pretty interesting and must have taken a while to compile - I doubt anyone would bother for the Championship but it would be great if they did. I seem to remember that liverpool were the team worst off by decisions and United were top (even though everyone thinks they get away with murder home and away).

Of course the decisions that have gone against us this year will be remembered and the ones that have gone with us are quickly forgotten so almost every football fan thinks that referee's are w*****s. We have however been especially unfortunate in recent weeks.

The year we were promoted from League One as Champions we got an unreal amount of 'iffy' decisions in our favour. No one looks to them though, no, it was because the players were amazing and playing with confidence. That's ok, but when we lose you can't then say it was the ref's fault not the players.

Yes we did, that's why I didn't go back as far as the relegation season when we did lose points. Getting relegated did us a favour so i'm not concerned with it now. The league one season, as you say, we did get decisions in our favour and against but I think we gained a few points. The play off season was the last time we could actually say it evened itself out. Since then, we've lost a lot of points and gained virtually nothing

I read an article near the end of last season where they worked out what the prem table would look like if all of the iffy decisions were corrected. Was pretty interesting and must have taken a while to compile - I doubt anyone would bother for the Championship but it would be great if they did. I seem to remember that liverpool were the team worst off by decisions and United were top (even though everyone thinks they get away with murder home and away).

Of course the decisions that have gone against us this year will be remembered and the ones that have gone with us are quickly forgotten so almost every football fan thinks that referee's are w*****s. We have however been especially unfortunate in recent weeks.

The last bit is the problem, you get so many people who do conveniently forget the decisions that go for their team so if you criticise the ref you're instantly tarred with this lot, I can see why, but if these neutrals had seen these decisions going against us I think they'd be kidding themselves if they didn't agree with us.

I'm not saying Leicester as a team are immune from criticism because we're nowhere near a flawless side, but we are so unlucky it's beyond me.

Why would people complain if it's going in our favour? You're not gonna complain if a bank error gifts you £100, but you certainly would if it takes £100 out.

And yes, referees can be at fault when the players aren't. We did enough to win the game on Saturday, but Forest were gifted a penalty on the basis of a good piece of defending by Whitbread. If the players are getting punished for something that they haven't done wrong, then how is it not the ref's fault?

The last bit is the problem, you get so many people who do conveniently forget the decisions that go for their team so if you criticise the ref you're instantly tarred with this lot, I can see why, but if these neutrals had seen these decisions going against us I think they'd be kidding themselves if they didn't agree with us.

I'm not saying Leicester as a team are immune from criticism because we're nowhere near a flawless side, but we are so unlucky it's beyond me.

Yep I agree and although not completely neutral, one of my good mates who is a spurs fan said he couldn't believe what a shambles the ref was against florest. I suppose the neutral is the only way it can really be monitored successfully.

When people state 'they even themselves out' they dont mean exactly you pillock.

Time of the month?

Well what possible evidence could you want then? If they don't mean exactly, that surely means things don't even themselves out then... just a few points makes a hell of a lot of a difference in a season.

It's obvious some teams are going to be luckier than others throughout a season. 46 games isn't a lot for all those decisions to even themselves out, maybe over a decade or so. Somebody has already mentioned how there was a table for the Prem done.

The evidence that shows all the good and bad decisions that lead to the result of a game, where do you begin?...do you question every wrong decision? Every decision changes the course of a match whether it creates a goal within seconds or minutes later. Its absurd to suggest that some teams are punished with more bad than good decisions....law of averages will mean that the good and bad decisions will be close.

Guest BlueBrett

Decisions do not even up in any meaningful sense. Perhaps they do over the course of 25 years but unless they do so over the course of a single season it means nothing.

I'm sceptical as to whether they balance out over longer periods anyway. Slogans like 'Fergie Time' didn't just spring up from nowhere. I don't have any evidence but it seems fairly clear to me that big teams in front of big crowds get more decisions simply because of the additional pressure on the ref to bend a particular way. Take Adebayor at the Etihad on Sunday - had he been bundled by Kompany and tripped by Hart at White Hart Lane the crowd would have been on their feet making loads of noise and I think he may have had a reasonable shout at a penalty. As it was, the ref didn't even seem to notice.

The term 'even' used in that sense is pretty much defined as 'exactly equal' though :(

Well if you take every phrase or saying literally then your a pendantic pillock.

No-one in their right mind would suggest out of 1000's of decisions then it will be exactly half in favour and half against.

it means it will be pretty much the same over a season.

Problem is no-on remembers all the good ones and concentrate just on the bad.

Why would people complain if it's going in our favour? You're not gonna complain if a bank error gifts you £100, but you certainly would if it takes £100 out.

And yes, referees can be at fault when the players aren't. We did enough to win the game on Saturday, but Forest were gifted a penalty on the basis of a good piece of defending by Whitbread. If the players are getting punished for something that they haven't done wrong, then how is it not the ref's fault?

I never said complain if it's going in our favour, I said fail to mention it. And it was a penalty.

i think we should ask Peter "expert" Beagrie if these things even themselves out, i would respect his thoughts . . . . . . . . . . . NOT

Now I know he is about at anti Leicester as they get, but Beagrie was talking sense when he said " you can't dive in like that" and he is right Whitbred should of just stood up, like he should of done with those two free kicks given against us. No need to dive in like that whatsover, you go to ground you're always running the risk of giving a pen away especially from that angle. I don't think it was a pen but if he stays on his feet it aint even a debate!

The evidence that shows all the good and bad decisions that lead to the result of a game, where do you begin?...do you question every wrong decision? Every decision changes the course of a match whether it creates a goal within seconds or minutes later. Its absurd to suggest that some teams are punished with more bad than good decisions....law of averages will mean that the good and bad decisions will be close.

Every major decision can be questioned..a handball on the line where Palace should have been a man down facing a peno, a penalty been given that shouldn't have been. Well I can't think of one game this season that we have been very lucky to get a decision that has changed a game, unlike Blackburn, Palace, Forest, and have heard there was a stong penalty shout at Bolton too. I don't think you can apply the law of averages to something as subjective as refereeing decisions. Over 46 games you can easily be 5-10 points up or down through refereeing decisions. Maybe over a decade as I said earlier.

I don't know how many football games you get to in general, but the referee has decided a fair few games that i've seen over the last few years.

Now I know he is about at anti Leicester as they get, but Beagrie was talking sense when he said " you can't dive in like that" and he is right Whitbred should of just stood up, like he should of done with those two free kicks given against us. No need to dive in like that whatsover, you go to ground you're always running the risk of giving a pen away especially from that angle. I don't think it was a pen but if he stays on his feet it aint even a debate!

It shouldn't be an issue. A legitimate tackle is a legitimate tackle, whether you go to ground or not. It's the officials responsibility to get the decision right, so a player shouldn't have to shy out of a challenge just in case the ref gets it wrong. It's no different to saying that a player should always try to block a shot with his hands, because the officials might not spot it.

What if Sharp had got a shot in and scored?

People would be slating Whitbread for not diving to get a block in.

You can say "don't dive in" but he won the ball cleanly first.

Archived