Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
MattGamble92

What will it take to see 32,000 fans at our ground again?

The last league games i remember us selling out for were Nottingham Forest and Middlesbrough in 2010

32,000 fans in our stadium was the norm back in 2002. The move to the new stadium and then, the following year, premier league football obviously helped. Such a dip can't just be placed on ticket prices can it?

Seen as it's Cardiff at home this weekend, i'll take you back to a moment in 2009 when we were confirmed to have them at home for the first play off game. I remember laughing at a suggestion the game might not sell out. Not least because we'd just sold out for a meaningless home game against Middlesbrough. Then unbelievably we got something like 29,000. For what was our biggest game for years we sold about 26,000 home tickets!

To put that into perspective with 2002 we got 31,000 against the likes of Rotherham that year.

Now on average we still have superb support. The season we got relegated we got an average of something like 23,000. The 3rd best in the league. This season, although attendances are down across the league we'll still be there or thereabouts on the attendance table.

But to actually sell over 30,000 tickets seems to be well beyond us now. With Forest and Derby games on TV we sell no more than we would for any other game now. Which is really really sad.

It's hard to blame just ticket prices alone when 32,500 people find £30+ a ticket to go down and watch a meaningless "high-profile" friendly.

So does it take a game against Forest to be 3pm kick off without a sky camera in sight, or have we really just been left with a hardcore following of just over 20,000 fans?

The last league games i remember us selling out for were Nottingham Forest and Middlesbrough in 2010

32,000 fans in our stadium was the norm back in 2002. The move to the new stadium and then, the following year, premier league football obviously helped. Such a dip can't just be placed on ticket prices can it?

Seen as it's Cardiff at home this weekend, i'll take you back to a moment in 2009 when we were confirmed to have them at home for the first play off game. I remember laughing at a suggestion the game might not sell out. Not least because we'd just sold out for a meaningless home game against Middlesbrough. Then unbelievably we got something like 29,000. For what was our biggest game for years we sold about 26,000 home tickets!

To put that into perspective with 2002 we got 31,000 against the likes of Rotherham that year.

Now on average we still have superb support. The season we got relegated we got an average of something like 23,000. The 3rd best in the league. This season, although attendances are down across the league we'll still be there or thereabouts on the attendance table.

But to actually sell over 30,000 tickets seems to be well beyond us now. With Forest and Derby games on TV we sell no more than we would for any other game now. Which is really really sad.

It's hard to blame just ticket prices alone when 32,500 people find £30+ a ticket to go down and watch a meaningless "high-profile" friendly.

So does it take a game against Forest to be 3pm kick off without a sky camera in sight, or have we really just been left with a hardcore following of just over 20,000 fans?

people are falling out of love with football mate. completely understand why too

I remember the days of gates between 8000 and 14000 so a hardcore support of 20000 isn't too bad in comparison. Cheaper ticket prices would be a start but not the whole answer as we couldn't sell out the fans fixture with cheap prices.

the rotherham games etc there was never 30.000 in the ground, i remember gillingham 31,000 attendance around 800 gills and a half empty west stand

I think we've possibly reached saturation point with live football on tv almost every day. And this may have contributed to both the lack of atmosphere at the ground through lack of excitement and anticipation. 'Back in the day' we would be in the ground early making some noise, now we turn up at the appointed time. Also, with the current economic situation it's cheaper to keep live TV football packages than go to the real thing. Especially if you've got someway to travel.

There is no on reason for this but several:

The amount of Football on TV

Ticket Prices

Competition from other Sports and entertainment events

The difficult financial position of some

Fuel prices

The length of time we've been out of the Premier League

The perception of Footballers by some: Overpaid, arrogant, badly behaved

Costs of merchandise and Food / Drink making the overall day out so expensive

Bad language and behavior of some fans putting parents of taking kids to Football

Footballers being poor role models to kids

The lack of sportsmanship in the game... diving etc

If it was cheaper I'd definitely try and get to more games. Only game I've been to this season was the Barnsley one when it was £15. If I could afford to go every week I would cos I love my club. But unfortunately bills, food, rent etc have to take priority.

It wouldn't take much, they'll all come crawling back for Premier League football.

Was just gonna say the same thing.

Many Leicester folk don't wanna watch Leicester City. But they'd love to come and watch Man U, the Arsenal etc..

A warm, late summer evening fixture at home to Man City? The place would be full, or very nearly.

I haven't fallen out of love with football or Leicester City. Quite simply, I will only go to a handful of matches this season due to the insane ticket prices. All tickets should be no more than £15 behind the goals and £20 elsewhere. SORT IT OUT CITY !!!

High ticket prices, not consistent enough team, all you ever see or hear about is players earning a fortune most fans could ever dream about and players have put themselves on a different planet to the loyal fans not like the old days when you could have a beer and a chat with a City star if you ever saw them, ie Walshy, Muzzy even as far back as Lenny Glover......

Getting and staying in the top two would generate excitement and a big crowd.

I think peeps were taken by surprise when we went top two but we quickly dropped out of that and i think peeps do not have the confidence in this club to actually get promoted after the last two seasons.

play off semi final ?

Something like this, or the last home game with us needing a result to secure something, or a big cup tie. Basically a game with some real consequence. I can't see us selling out in any run of the mill championship game unless we almost give tickets away. These games have become increasingly unattractive thanks to cost as pointed out but also because over the last decade it's pretty much the only type of game we've ever played and as such fans are getting bored with them.

I think people have just lost interest and like stu said people are falling out of love with the game. I remember when I was younger, me and my best mate used to go Filbert Street every week with our parents, and when we moved to the Walkers, our group grew to about 20 people for a few seasons. Me and my old man are the last 2 standing out of that group now.

In a way I can't blame them, especially with the dross we were served up with in the mid noughties under Levein, Kelly etc. I reckon we'd sell out at home for something like a LC semi-final or a prem match against one of the top 6.

Archived