Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Bevan

Staying in the premier league?

Why not have a think about our chances? It's fine to dream ahead a little.

Firstly, I think we'd have a good chance of staying up with Pearson in charge. I can't imagine we'd do what Swansea or Norwich are doing because I feel that Nigel's perhaps a bit too conservative for us to expand that quickly, having said that, I do believe we could start to climb up the league over time.

Obviously it depends on what players we bring in, Pearson has shown himself to be a very sensible buyer in the past but clearly a different calibre of player is required in the division above so he'll have to adapt a little. One thing that we really don't need to do if we get promoted is do what QPR have done - buy a bucket load of big names who ultimately turned out to be awful. Thankfully, I don't think that's at all likely with Pearson and I'd expect us to have a very level-headed, balanced team going into our first game.

Why not have a think about our chances? It's fine to dream ahead a little.

Firstly, I think we'd have a good chance of staying up with Pearson in charge. I can't imagine we'd do what Swansea or Norwich are doing because I feel that Nigel's perhaps a bit too conservative for us to expand that quickly, having said that, I do believe we could start to climb up the league over time.

Obviously it depends on what players we bring in, Pearson has shown himself to be a very sensible buyer in the past but clearly a different calibre of player is required in the division above so he'll have to adapt a little. One thing that we really don't need to do if we get promoted is do what QPR have done - buy a bucket load of big names who ultimately turned out to be awful. Thankfully, I don't think that's at all likely with Pearson and I'd expect us to have a very level-headed, balanced team going into our first game.

I agree - I very much doubt NP would abandon his philosophy simply because we reached the PL. I hope he is still with us when we do finally get there again, because I dread us going down that "big names=success" route again. I don't want to compare anyone to MON, but I am happy to see us signing good, relatively unknown young players again, and building a team that should improve year after year.

If we do get to the PL soon, I would be far more confident about staying up than last time under Adams. I think he did a great job getting us straight back up under the circumstances, but I don't really think he had any real plan in that transfer window. It seemed a bit like we were signing up any old players left, right and centre, with old being the operative word.

I trust Nigel so first thought is I think we'd have a good chance of doing ok.

On the other hand, how likely is it that we start slowly or go through a bad run of form halfway through the season that sees us in a bit of trouble, and he's sacked? I'd say very.

Things can change alot from the moment you get promoted to the moment you start the new season. Signings will be crucial, and we'll no doubt have weaknesses which will be highlighted quickly in the top flight. We'll have to adapt and deal with these because the Premiership is a far more unforgiving league than the Championship.

I would rather go down with 20 points than torch a silly amount of cash which could lead us to where we were in 2002 - and nobody wants those dark days of administration again.

Of course, I hope we go up and win the Premier League before going on to dominate Europe for decades.

Did anyone think we'd get to three League Cup finals, winning two, get to play in Europe twice and have four top ten Prem finishes when we sneaked up through the play offs in 1996?

We have to dream but we also have to be cautious too, IMHO.

IF we were to go up i'd like to see us give the current squad a try with a few additions. We all know there is a huge gulf in class between our league and the top six, so we'd have to look at picking up draws at Chelsea and the rest. But i'd hate us to just lob money about on foreign mercenaries in the first season. I'd like to see us do it like Swansea and build.

Thats IF we were to go up.

Looking at the bottom 6/8 in the premiership I think we would have a great chance of surviving, the league is nowhere near the standard that it was 4/5 years ago.

Should we get to 'the promised land' the thing that would fascinate me is which of the current squad we'd keep?

Knowing Pearson and his conservative approach I doubt we'd see an awful lot of changes actually.

I suspect we'd see the departure of Gally, Wellens, Danns and Beckford.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if we kept Lloyd Dyer.

I reckon Nige would try to sign Keane on a permanent.

please close this jesus. one step at a bloody time. We have 19 massive games to go first.

Oh bore off it's a forum for people to express their opinions & thoughts on LCFC! Things are going well, lets dream a litte!

I have every confidence in NP & that he would go about his player recruitment exactly the same as he has done in the time(s) that he has been here. Getting in the players with the right mentality to join our group rather than getting in a "big name" player who has a big ego, thats not NP's style at all.

Pearson has demostrated that he & his staff can pick players to do jobs which are needed to get the desired results. I know it sounds simple but getting in a goalscorer is what was needed & NP has gone out there & got in a young hungry player who has demonstrated previously that he is capable of doing the job & paid what was wanted by WBA & offered a package to beat Millwall to the signature of Wood. I know he has good financial backing which helps, but Sven had the same & did not get the same value for money & good purchases like NP does.

Also the players NP brings in are usually experienced, young hungry players who are likely to improve even more as time goes on & they gain more experience, if we went up I'm sure they would be better off for their championship playing experience, before going straight into a Prem season.

Our currrent squad would certainly need additions, but not en masse, look at QPR, their best players are Hill Derry & Mackie, not Fabio, Diakite or Boswinga. Improving a side should not be about chucking money at it & getting in "big players" on big wages, & I'm sure NP knows this & has show his opinions with the exits of Mills & Beckford. I love no noncense Nige :pearson:

In the first season of promotion to the prem, you would ideally want 11-12 wins & 6-10 draws. I think Nigel would certainly deserves his chance "if" he gets LCFC there this season. The improvements that he has made in the last 12 months are tremendous, & the job he did hiere in the previous 2 seasons were great seasons for us too, so I do not see that we would have anything but confidence in NP if he took us up.

I see no reason why we wouldn't stay up - I think we'd be great contenders against your QPRs, Wigans, Villas etc., and probably capable of enough shock results to see us finish a season mid-table. Obviously no way of telling until we were there (however long it takes) but I really don't think - with Pearson and our current squad - we'd be one of those teams who are lucky to get a point every other match. I'd expect a slow-ish start to get acclimatised though

We would have a decent chance of survival, I think Nigel has already made excellent progress in reshaping the squad, in terms of its balance, quality and it overall sprit and attitude.

Of course he would have to strengthen in a few key areas, bring 2-3 players and move on the last of the deadwood i.e. Wellens, Danns, and Beckford.

We have the most important piece of the jigsaw in place i.e. Nigel Pearson, like O’Neill he is excellent at fostering a team ethic and sprit. He also seems to have an excellent scouting network in place.

Also the club infrastructure is in place to support him, ground, training facilities and seemingly the financial backing

Oh bore off it's a forum for people to express their opinions & thoughts on LCFC! Things are going well, lets dream a litte!

I have every confidence in NP & that he would go about his player recruitment exactly the same as he has done in the time(s) that he has been here. Getting in the players with the right mentality to join our group rather than getting in a "big name" player who has a big ego, thats not NP's style at all.

Pearson has demostrated that he & his staff can pick players to do jobs which are needed to get the desired results. I know it sounds simple but getting in a goalscorer is what was needed & NP has gone out there & got in a young hungry player who has demonstrated previously that he is capable of doing the job & paid what was wanted by WBA & offered a package to beat Millwall to the signature of Wood. I know he has good financial backing which helps, but Sven had the same & did not get the same value for money & good purchases like NP does.

Also the players NP brings in are usually experienced, young hungry players who are likely to improve even more as time goes on & they gain more experience, if we went up I'm sure they would be better off for their championship playing experience, before going straight into a Prem season.

Our currrent squad would certainly need additions, but not en masse, look at QPR, their best players are Hill Derry & Mackie, not Fabio, Diakite or Boswinga. Improving a side should not be about chucking money at it & getting in "big players" on big wages, & I'm sure NP knows this & has show his opinions with the exits of Mills & Beckford. I love no noncense Nige :pearson:

In the first season of promotion to the prem, you would ideally want 11-12 wins & 6-10 draws. I think Nigel would certainly deserves his chance "if" he gets LCFC there this season. The improvements that he has made in the last 12 months are tremendous, & the job he did hiere in the previous 2 seasons were great seasons for us too, so I do not see that we would have anything but confidence in NP if he took us up.

Alright hero.

Just saying that topic is pointless just because we've had 2 fantastic wins on the trot we r by no means near being promoted, theres no need for this at this stage. Come the summer if we do go up (and i think we will) then lets talk about it.

Its the same thing when we lose 2 or 3 on the trot people will go and post that pearson should be sacked, utter nonsense threads.

Looking at the bottom 6/8 in the premiership I think we would have a great chance of surviving, the league is nowhere near the standard that it was 4/5 years ago.

I think people's perception of why the promoted teams do a bit better is slighty off. I think the premier league is better than it has been for a long time; almost every team has a few top players and when you compare the teams getting relegated to the team we last had in the top flight, they're streets ahead of us. Its actually because the standard of the championship is so much stronger now and the gap between the 2 leagues is getting smaller that people think the PL is getting worse. The standard of the championship is better than the majority of top flight european leagues so the PL teams are not going to look as strong as they once did when in reality, they are generally better than ever.

I think people's perception of why the promoted teams do a bit better is slighty off. I think the premier league is better than it has been for a long time; almost every team has a few top players and when you compare the teams getting relegated to the team we last had in the top flight, they're streets ahead of us. Its actually because the standard of the championship is so much stronger now and the gap between the 2 leagues is getting smaller that people think the PL is getting worse. The standard of the championship is better than the majority of top flight european leagues so the PL teams are not going to look as strong as they once did when in reality, they are generally better than ever.

Results in European comps over the last few years would suggest the PL is weaker them it use to be.

Alright hero.

Just saying that topic is pointless just because we've had 2 fantastic wins on the trot we r by no means near being promoted, theres no need for this at this stage. Come the summer if we do go up (and i think we will) then lets talk about it.

Its the same thing when we lose 2 or 3 on the trot people will go and post that pearson should be sacked, utter nonsense threads.

Even if it were pointless we can still have a thread for it. It's just hypothetical pondering more than expectation (although expectation is increasing). We could still run a thread like this if we were at the foot of the table although if that were the case it might be called "How many thrashings would this squad take in the PL".

The standard of the Championship is poor. Look at us in recent seasons, barely been able to win 2 in a row yet were always in touch of the play-offs. In fact we were even in there for a week last season.

I've watched Premiership and Championship football this season and the quality isn't very good. There are some really average teams at the top of this league and some shocking ones in the top division, for that level.

Even look at the top of the Premiership. No where near a vintage Man Utd side, yet they're 7 points clear. Arsenal were very average last season and finished 3rd. Man City were very average without a couple of key players and ended up winning the title.

Archived