Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
MattGamble92

Waggy and Vardy

Waghorn a few weeks ago. The Waghorn we knew back in the play off season. Waghorn now. Back to the headless chicken. The difference? He is devoid of confidence knowing full well he wont be in the team not matter how he plays as soon as Mr.Wood comes back. Where as a few weeks ago he genuinely believed he could be Nugent's partner for the rest of the season.

It was the same problem with all the fringe players under sven. The difference between NP and Sven is Sven was playing players he'd signed just for the sake of it. Like dropping Andy King at the start of last season despite him being our best midfielder the season before.

Nigel isn't clueless like Sven, and i hate people claiming he is after what seems like every defeat.

But it's not rocket science. You can't expect a player to suddenly gain confidence. Waggy and Vardy will continue to come on with 20 minutes to go with us losing. Do nothing. And get slated.

I've only ever slagged off my own players when i can see a complete lack of effort. And there has been plenty of those in the past. But with Vardy and Waggy that simply isn't the case. But the sort of language being used as soon as the pair touched the ball at Peterborough away and in the FA Cup game was unbelievable.

Really do sometimes question whether people genuinely enjoy moaning at football games. Like it's the only way to vent frustration because of your shit lives. You sound like spoilt children at home. You don't perform off the pitch and have a team that have lost a handful of games on it, yet still get on the backs after EVERY defeat this season.

did you ever stop to think maybe this is the real Waghorn and the player of a few months back was just a good run of form? I'ts been 2 1/2 years playing at this standard since his loan season, and he's been poor for the majority of it

I don't think a player can really influence a game coming on for 20 minutes a time, but Waghorn, in my opinion, should have converted the chance at Peterborough. He didn't even get it on target. We can't keep going back to this 'Waghorn during the play off season' attitude. It's been two and a bit years since that great season, and during that time Waghorn hasn't been good enough (ok he did pick up an injury)... I thought Vardy was decent against Posh, certainly was only as good as other players. He just seems to snatch at chances, but I believe he just needs the confidence because he can finish, ala Blackburn away.

But Wood and Nugent shouldn't be worried about their places. I don't have confidence in our other 'backup' strikers really. We do need a bit of loan quality in that department, in my opinion.

did you ever stop to think maybe this is the real Waghorn and the player of a few months back was just a good run of form? I'ts been 2 1/2 years playing at this standard since his loan season, and he's been poor for the majority of it

Two and half years of being injured, played on the wing or coming off the bench late in games?

Yeah we can't read too much into his good performances whenever he's had a sustained run of games playing as a striker. Sporadic appearances during the years we had Sousa & Sven are what he should be judged on.

If anybody striker wise is coming in, they'll probably one/s we've never heard of. That's why I love our Walshie as he is probably tapping up a nugget none of us have ever heard of - just like Knockaert!! This is why journalists very rarely seem to get leads on who we're getting and they just happen out of the blue!!

It is the attitudes in this thread that piss me off, the idea that waghorn will never be good enough and should leave the club because he's had a couple of poor games after an injury, coming off the bench. The chance at Peterborough was not an easy chance, it was coming fast and a bit behind him.

I've seen Nugent and much better strikers miss those types of chances when in red hot form not coming back from an injury just because you slot them in everyday on FIFA doesn't mean it is as easy in real life. Watch match of the day any week and you will see better strikers miss easier chances, the simple truth is football is not easy.

Whatever your views on either waghorn or vardy they are our players that actually seem to want to play for our club and, especially in waghorn's case, really care about the club, arguably too much in waghorn's case as he puts himself under too much pressure to perform and every miss you can see hurts him. That pressure is not helped by the fans, not a criticism of the fans by the way, just that maybe he lacks the mental strength to cope with the pressure.

Nobody can deny he has had a poor season in front of goal, but he has put in some good performances, as has vardy, and are certainly capable at this level and contributing members of the squad, without injuries this season could have been very different for both of them, but what's happened has happened and it is a real shame that neither of them, vardy, futacs or waghorn have stepped up in the light of Wood's injury, although waghorn has had the least opportunity of the 3 to impress, so if wood is still out on Tuesday I would start waghorn with Nugent.

:yesyes:

Can't believe I'm going to have an argument about Vardy and Waghorn in a thread created to discuss Vardy and Waghorn. So excited.

One glimpse of Waghorn's name in a thread title, I bet a buzz goes right through your body.

I will let you get on with it, sit back and admire your argument.

Two and half years of being injured, played on the wing or coming off the bench late in games?

Yeah we can't read too much into his good performances whenever he's had a sustained run of games playing as a striker. Sporadic appearances during the years we had Sousa & Sven are what he should be judged on.

what exactly has he ever shown from the bench to deserve to start in that time? he has had a run of about 5 games playing well in that time, that includes his loan stint at Hull where he was hardly outstanding

what exactly has he ever shown from the bench to deserve to start in that time? he has had a run of about 5 games playing well in that time, that includes his loan stint at Hull where he was hardly outstanding

Waghorn started more games during his loan spell than he has since taking into account his time at both Leicester and Hull. During that time the only real decent spell he has had starting games regularly as a striker as opposed to a winger was the short run he got before having his appendix out, during which time he was one of our better players. I wouldn't be using him as an impact sub to be honest because he clearly isn't going to do a great job in that role, but when Nugent or Wood are out he should be starting games, unfortunately Nigel hasn't given him that oppertunity while Wood has been out.

Waghorn has made 108 appearances for us and scored 20 goals is that good enough? I am asking a honest question here

For a £3m investment which we made I don't think he justifies that fee imo.

First of all: minutes per goals, a large number of those appearances were as a sub, his minutes per goal ratio was better at this level than Beckford last time this argument was had and only a little of Nugent at this level. (on phone so can't post them again)

His goal scoring record is pretty poor since we actually signed him, minutes per goal or otherwise, so it all depends if you view his worth solely on goals scored or what else hecontributes to the team, first line of defence, pressuring the opposition defenders, best delivery from set pieces at the club, 100% effort and commitment.

This is a fundamental difference between Waghorn and say Beckford who if he isn't scoring is contributing little else.

Waghorn started more games during his loan spell than he has since taking into account his time at both Leicester and Hull. During that time the only real decent spell he has had starting games regularly as a striker as opposed to a winger was the short run he got before having his appendix out, during which time he was one of our better players. I wouldn't be using him as an impact sub to be honest because he clearly isn't going to do a great job in that role, but when Nugent or Wood are out he should be starting games, unfortunately Nigel hasn't given him that oppertunity while Wood has been out.

You always bring the played as a winger excuse up but to my recollection Waghorn has never been played as a winger by us. He was played wide up top as part of a 4 3 3, a tottally different kettle of fish to a traditional winger and one you'd think he could adapt to.

Waghorn has made 108 appearances for us and scored 20 goals is that good enough? I am asking a honest question here

For a £3m investment which we made I don't think he justifies that fee imo.

Of course he doesn't justify the fee. But it's not like we're getting it back any time soon, it's not something I held against Mills or Beckford or any other player.

I'm not going to argue that he should be coming off the bench to make an impact regularly because I don't think he should. But given his performances when he's started games and the fact that he's scored 15 goals in his 48 league starts for Leicester (1 goal every 3.2 games). Taking into account just how young he is and that he isn't going to be earning too much I'd suggest that he's a more than adequate choice to be starting games when Nugent or Wood are out.

Archived