Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
tickler28

Hoof it into Row Z

Late equaliser has cost us again and I beg this question...why don't we hoof the ball clear...way up field and have everyone back!!

I'm not sure how many people on this forum play football but conceding late goals is unforgivable.

If you're Chelsea or Barcelona you can keep the ball in the corner and run down the clock but we are clearly not good enough for that.

Against Middlesbrough at home we almost cost ourselves a late equaliser by not making the right choices and allowing the other team to mount another attack.

Today we gave the ball away twice on the half way line late on....once from Kane which we got away with and then just before their goal (anyone remember who?).....it's that lack of noise to just punt it up field and OUT that has cost us....

Next time we are 1 up with 5 to go every player needs to not f***about on the ball but kick it high and wide....if we had have adopted that tactic today...we would have won!!

Naieve...just so basic but naieve

There was a situation where we had the ball deep in their half & we won a foul.

Rather than stay down & take some heat out the game, whoever it was jumped up & we took it quickly.

We were too honest there. I hate time wasting tactics but it's naive not to use simple things like that to your advantage in what could have been a 0-1 win.

I don't think hoofing away from home is a good thing. The ball boys will be throwing spare balls for the throw in to be taken quickly & it just invites wave after wave of attacks, when a pass to a fresh pair of legs (Wood & Kane) should have worked, but we were let down.

But time wasting for your own throws, corners & free kicks is doable as is saving a substitution so the manager can use it to take the heat out & wind down the clock.

Kicking the ball up the field only works at pub level, a decent pro team can recycle the ball very quickly. What we should be doing is playing the ball into the corners for someone to run onto, and retaining possession by giving players more than one option to pass too. Keeping 11 men behind the ball late on is important too.

I disagree.

I don't see the point in giving it straight back to the other team.

If you have the ball the other team can't (shouldn't!) score. I'm not saying you should dilly dally in you own box. Just play possession football, we should be able to do that.

Hoof it up the pitch with everyone back? That would just give them possession with plenty of time on the ball. You get into a negative mindset and it usually goes against you.

If you've done enough to get in front, stay the same. Keep the ball, don't panic, don't try anything fancy. Run the clock down by being sensible on the ball.

I have just watched the end of the Watford Cardiff game and yet again Cardiff are so outrageously average it beggars belief that they're top of this league.

Being "consistently average", emphasis on consistent, is the key to being successful in this league. Cardiff are the best at it.

It's no good us being a decent footballing side and then being crap for a quarter of it. We need a ruthless streak in us as well. We lack any killer instinct and cannot manage games well enough to see them through. Part of the reason for this is Pearson and his nonsense substitutions.

I have just watched the end of the Watford Cardiff game and yet again Cardiff are so outrageously average it beggars belief that they're top of this league.

Being "consistently average", emphasis on consistent, is the key to being successful in this league. Cardiff are the best at it.

It's no good us being a decent footballing side and then being crap for a quarter of it. We need a ruthless streak in us as well. We lack any killer instinct and cannot manage games well enough to see them through. Part of the reason for this is Pearson and his nonsense substitutions.

I love your anti-Pearson propaganda. It's always nicely supplement by your avatar which in itself is a symbolism of support for the guy.

Football is so ****ing fickle it hurts.

I love your anti-Pearson propaganda. It's always nicely supplement by your avatar which in itself is a symbolism of support for the guy.

Football is so ****ing fickle it hurts.

Indeed. I want the guy to do well but he constantly shoots himself in the foot and just does not learn. It's all so self inflicted. Why? Why? Why?

It's so frustrating.

Indeed. I want the guy to do well but he constantly shoots himself in the foot and just does not learn. It's all so self inflicted. Why? Why? Why?

It's so frustrating.

Every manager at this level will have faults, though. Just gotta take the rough with the smooth and not over exaggerate the negatives.

Late equaliser has cost us again and I beg this question...why don't we hoof the ball clear...way up field and have everyone back!!

I'm not sure how many people on this forum play football but conceding late goals is unforgivable.

If you're Chelsea or Barcelona you can keep the ball in the corner and run down the clock but we are clearly not good enough for that.

Against Middlesbrough at home we almost cost ourselves a late equaliser by not making the right choices and allowing the other team to mount another attack.

Today we gave the ball away twice on the half way line late on....once from Kane which we got away with and then just before their goal (anyone remember who?).....it's that lack of noise to just punt it up field and OUT that has cost us....

Next time we are 1 up with 5 to go every player needs to not f***about on the ball but kick it high and wide....if we had have adopted that tactic today...we would have won!!

Sorry but how would that help?! Just keep gifting possession back to them so they can pump it back in to our box and put our defenders and other players under more unnecessary pressure? It leads to panicking and miskicks and gifted opportunities for the other team.

If anything you are being naive in assuming that that would work.

Sorry but how would that help?! Just keep gifting possession back to them so they can pump it back in to our box and put our defenders and other players under more unnecessary pressure? It leads to panicking and miskicks and gifted opportunities for the other team.

If anything you are being naive in assuming that that would work.

Until we learn how to retain possession in that situation what's your suggestion?

My post taken from another thread

People can talk all they want about us taking our chances, but what's equally worrying is our complete inability to close a game out with 10 minutes or less left to go. We must be the most honest team in the league, everyone else knows how to run the clock down, waste time, wind up the opposition and play the ref. Not only do we not know how to do any of it, but the players clearly don't even try to do any of it. I don't want us to cheat or become a 'Warnock' team, but it's a case of if you can't beat them, join them - and is it really worth missing out on a place in the PL?

In the last 10 minutes, we took a throw in long, Kane smashed a kick into the wall, we took corners long and the freekick after Wood got chopped quickly. WTF? Why? Why weren't all of those just tapped to an adjacent player? Retain possesion. Play it in the corners. It's quite simple.

My post taken from another thread

You are spot on my friend!! My suggestion of hoofing may well be fundamentally flawed but the message is to not give the other team a sniff late on....keep the ball as far away from their goal as possible and don't continue to attack giving

Then a chance to take back possession....it's bloody simple stuff!!

I disagree.

I don't see the point in giving it straight back to the other team.

If you have the ball the other team can't (shouldn't!) score. I'm not saying you should dilly dally in you own box. Just play possession football, we should be able to do that.

thats exactly what we cant do and its the OPs point.

When do I start?....I mean for fox sake we were pretty much begging for them to equalise at the end......next time were 1 goal ahead with 5 minutes to go we might as well kick the ball in our own net.....I am trully lost for words

Archived