Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Tempwan Yierban

TPH's Ale Thread

Went in the Red Hot World buffet restaurant today as a birthday treat to my self. Had a bottle of DNA brewed by Charles Wells, Not bad. The food was also good. I had birthday money and was paid back money owed me so I had enough topay for it.

You don't have to justify every meal you eat that's not from Aldi, Ken.

I know but the last time I mentioned I ate in a restaurant there was criticism (admittedly from only one or two) saying I was living a life of luxury paid for by them. I always wanted to try that place anyway but  i doubt I will visit on a regular basis.

Definitely doesn't fall into the ale category, but I genuinely can't wait till Saturday when I get my once a year treat of Carling Premiere on tap. I don't know what they do different to it, but it's leagues above regular Carling. So smooth. If it was a person it'd be Duke Silver.

I really dont know, the only beer I drink currently is Peroni, and i often see these 'real ales' and find amusement in the names of them. What would you recommend I try?

In terms of ales the first one I really liked was everards tiger which is local and available in a lot of pubs. I love German and Belgian beers erdinger and la chouffe are 2 good examples which are available at some places in the city.

In terms of ales the first one I really liked was everards tiger which is local and available in a lot of pubs. I love German and Belgian beers erdinger and la chouffe are 2 good examples which are available at some places in the city.

Answem my above questions about Germany.

I've still got much to learn, as a beer novice, however. My next trip is to Bavaria next month, Rothenburg. Any tips on what I should expect, sample and look out for?

If you see schneider weisse have it, their hefe is amazing and their star beer is called aventinus.  I love the wheat beers and that is what i'd go for, the aventinus is stronger. Weihenstephan is also a great German brewery and their hefe is available in some places in England, their stronger beer called Vitus is also world class. Some helles lagers are meant to be great but I haven't tried too many of those so if you see one it would be worth trying, but generally I prefer the fuller bodied wheat beers with all their clove banana flavours.

All this talk made me beer thirsty so I've cracked open a Rochefort 10.  Beautiful dark caramel colour and flavour, the experience is only slightly marred by drinking it straight out of the bottle.  Note to self: Wash your glassware more often you filthy animal.

All this talk made me beer thirsty so I've cracked open a Rochefort 10.  Beautiful dark caramel colour and flavour, the experience is only slightly marred by drinking it straight out of the bottle.  Note to self: Wash your glassware more often you filthy animal.

Absolutely fantastic beer, genuinely one of the best in the world. You had St Bernardus abt 12?

Having read the last couple of pages I decided to see if I could buy La Chouffle over here, it's $12.99 a bottle, plus shipping. That's about 50 cents/cl which is about the same price as champagne.

Is it that good?

Archived