Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
trotterfox87

Players for next season, Who do want, Who's free?

A lot saying wolves strikers. Continuing with this what about Jake Cassidy. He's strong and deceptively quick. For a target man 13 goals last year really isn't that bad. Tranmere have given up all hope of getting him back, I think he'd be quality for us.

3 at the back is the in thing at the moment because it offers much more opportunities to score.

E.g. Playing 3 central defenders compared to playing against a team with 2 central defenders is likely to give you an edge during set pieces.

I'd say one other reason is that it allows you to control the game from further up the field as well. It would be easier to keep possession in midfield in a 3-5-2 than it would in a 4-4-2 and you're less inclined to pass it around the back.

It takes excellent wing-backs though. It takes competency both going forward and defending and a shit load of energy - De Laet's an excellent attacker IMO but his defending hasn't ever really convinced me although I wouldn't say he's a terrible defender by any means, Konchesky wouldn't have the legs to do it anymore so I'd look at a left wing back.

I maintain the main reason I'd do this is because I think it allows you to play De Laet & Knockaert in their most effective positions whilst keeping the likes of Nugent, Wood, King & James in their current ones.

Don't see Pearson ever doing it though, sadly.

Would love to see us sign an absolute shithouse midfielder like Tongo Doumbia. Technically he probably isn't the best, but it would be nice to see us have a player who could bully opponents and press on using strength, like Yaya Toure, Diame and Tiote do for their clubs..

Interesting. I'd be tempted by something like this:

Schmeichel

Morgan       New CB

De Laet                                         New LB

New CDM

King                     James

Knockaert                             Marshall

Nugent/Wood

Effectively a 4-3-3 to start with, with option to switch to 4-5-1/3-4-3 if our wingers dropped back or our full back switch with the CDM. Not sure if either Nugent or Wood are capable of being the lone man up front though, so perhaps switch the front 3 around to have the pair of them with Knockaert/Marshall just behind? Though then we lose some width on the attack...

Should be a formation that's strong enough in defence without leaving our midfield undermanned, and *hopefully* flexible enough to be quick on the counter-attack.

I don't mind that as a formation but it becomes far too defensive for us. For it to work you need players who will play pretty much as wide forwards and Marshall simply won't.

I stand by what I said all of the season just gone - Knockaert is our best attacker by a distance and it's criminal that we use him out wide.

For anyone calling for Judge...

@SkyFootball: Blackburn have agreed deals for Millwall winger Chris Taylor and Notts County's Alan Judge, Sky Sports understands.

Was just going to say this. Not too much of an issue, I'd rather Adomah, but I'm sure he'd cost more than we'd want to pay.

@SkyFootball: Blackburn have agreed deals for Millwall winger Chris Taylor and Notts County's Alan Judge, Sky Sports understands.

No way I'd sign for a club that didn't have a manager. If true then they're ok signings but nothing to make me think they'll improve Blackburn.

Didn't judge begin there as well?

AH FOOK

Gone back to his old roots then.

Nevermind :(

Archived