Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
ADK

Championship 2013/2014 Stuff it in here.

Bolton Blackburn Forest Brighton Watford Wigan QPR Reading Ipswich Leicester would be my picks for challengers.

Can't see the other teams challenging. Actually think it will be slightly easier than last season.

Can see QPR struggling, Leeds may take a few seasons to get it right. Reckon Wigan will go up automatically if they hold onto Martinez (also depends on their european schedule), unsure on Reading. Absolutely no idea how we'll fare.

I think Wigan are nailed on for repromotion if they keep their team relatively intact, which is possible because they don't overspend too much.

QPR i'm not sure really, could be a disaster they could walk the league.

Reading i think are the weakest of the 3 sides, would be surprised if they got automatic, although play offs is a probability.

Of the teams already here i think us, Bolton, Forest and Brighton or Watford are likely to be the strongest.

Blackburn could come good, they still have a strong squad just need to right manager.

It is probably said every year but the leagues looking quite strong next season, particularly those coming down.

QPR will probably risk everything in the hope they go straight back up.

Reading have the spine of a strong side at this level and a decent manager, but I do think they'll struggle eventually.

If Wigan Keep Martinez then I'd expect them to win the league, can be a very good side. (assuming they come down of course.

I would also expect Forest, Bolton, Leeds, Ipswich, Sheff wed and Blackburn (depending on who they get as manager) to be stronger and Brighton/Watford will probably be there again. I have no faith that us or palace will be up there again to be honest.

At the other end I can't see any of the promoted sides surviving, but I suppose anything can happen.

If this season is anything to go by not even a crystal ball would help.

As for Redknapp being a "top class" manager, I'd have to refute that after getting QPR relegated and the amount of money they've had to spend.

If you think we're going to have a tough time with FFP, QPR will blow your mind. A tough season for them and mid-rable is likely to follow, expect a Blackburn style season.

Wigan could do anything or nothing with European football and a new manager. They will shed a lot of their key players and probably struggle to recruit others; they struggled to bring in and keep new blood as a Premier League club so that'll be doubly difficult a division lower.

Reading will go well as always, and should be more stylish than before with Adkins at the helm. 

Nottingham Forest could go either way. I still foresee Davies falling out with the owners and their managerial merry-go-round starting again. If Brighton don't go up, they strike me as a bit of a one-hit wonder. Even more so if Poyet goes.

Watford may look very different if they fail to go up, the extent to which the new loan rules will affect them is difficult to say and depends entirely on where the Pozzo family want their young talent to play. I suspect they'll want them in Serie A rather than the Championship. Successive play-off finishes for them though if they don't go up, a massive achievement for a club of Watford's stature.

Palace won't go nearly so well again. Zaha has already been sold, Murray will surely follow and there are numerous clubs circling their midfield. Mid-table.

Bolton should continue to improve under Freedman but probably not by enough of a margin.

Ipswich should improve under McCarthy, but I doubt they can achieve such a turnaround.

Leeds could be a dark horse under McDermott, but Reading were always late bloomers under him and it's questionable whether their fans would have the patience.

The three promoted clubs will consider survival the priority.

I can therefore see Reading, Leicester, Forest, Watford (if they don't get promoted :fc:), Leeds and Wigan being the teams to beat next season.

Blackpool to go down is my big shout.

Would fully expect Wigan to go back up if they hold on to Martinez, McManaman, Scharner, McCarthy, Kone, etc.

Don't see Reading doing too much or QPR. Can see Bournemouth being a surprise package, a hell of a lot of confidence oozing mainly through Eddie Howe.

I don't think any of the relegated sides will finish top 2. Wigan and QPR will have disappointing seasons but I think Reading will be in the top 6 in May.

If Palace don't go up I see them having a less impressive season, maybe just missing out on the play-offs. I'm not sure the situation with Watford if they stay down, if Brighton hold on to Poyet and don't go up they'll be ones to watch.

As for the promoted sides, they'll both be happy if they stay up, I think Bournemouth will surprise a few and finish above the drop zone.

Sadly I can't see us making the top 2, I'm hopeful of another top 6 finish though.

Looking at that list, I can see Forest and Blackburn being among the favourites. Charlton I'm not sure, anything could happen with them. Ipswich will do a lot better with McCarthy, maybe promotion is too much to ask though.

I don't see the likes of Leeds, Derby, Boro, Wednesday and Birmingham being ready yet, then again the league is wide open as always.

Blackpool to go down is my big shout.

Would fully expect Wigan to go back up if they hold on to Martinez, McManaman, Scharner, McCarthy, Kone, etc.

Don't see Reading doing too much or QPR. Can see Bournemouth being a surprise package, a hell of a lot of confidence oozing mainly through Eddie Howe.

Big shout.

Expect Tom Ince and Matt Phillips to leave with no adequate replacements. 

I can see Millwall struggling without Kenny Jackett as well.

It's highly questionable that Wigan will hang onto half of those names once relegated, but if they do manage it they're serious contenders.

Reading will do better than QPR, I agree with that, but Howe struggled badly with Burnley at times so I have to question his Championship credentials.

Big shout.

Expect Tom Ince and Matt Phillips to leave with no adequate replacements. 

I can see Millwall struggling without Kenny Jackett as well.

It's highly questionable that Wigan will hang onto half of those names once relegated, but if they do manage it they're serious contenders.

Reading will do better than QPR, I agree with that, but Howe struggled badly with Burnley at times so I have to question his Championship credentials.

With Blackpool, I think it's just more the fact that they will make very few improvements on their already poor squad for the forthcoming season. I expect Tom Ince to stay with his dad in charge - but that's exactly the problem! Paul Ince is a poor poor manager imo, this showed when we played them back in February, 4-5-1, negative hoofball tactics that made Pearson look like Pep Guardiola. I think they will struggle for sure.

With Eddie Howe, his tenure at Burnley was certainly unsuccessful but he didn't really disgrace himself there but he was made for Bournemouth, just look at their charge up the table since he returned. Could have a similar effect to sides we have seen in the past, e.g. us, Norwich, Southampton..

Howe had a difficult job with Burnley to be fair, they may have been in the Premiership fairly recently but they are a small club without loads of cash to spend. I expect them to be lower midtable most seasons and I do next season as well.

I may be sticking my neck out here but I think Bournemouth will have a bit of mental momentum and finish around 17th-21st.

Archived