Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Is the City of Leicester a dump?

East gates coffee house (formerly Cruise) is becoming a Tim Hortons, the Canadian coffee chain. 24 hour tapas gaff opening on King st and Cyrus Todiwala is opening a restaurant where Mem Saab was.

0_JS188979503.jpg

https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/news/leicester-news/major-development-planned-site-former-3150801

I don't know if anyone remembers the old ABC Cinema on Belgrave Gate but this is a proposed replacement.

Quote:-

Planning documents submitted to the city council state: “The architectural concept is derived from the site’s physical and historic context and references its previous use in both a literal and figurative manner.

This is why so many attractive buildings are replaced by bland grey rectangular blocks. 

10 minutes ago, davieG said:

https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/news/leicester-news/major-development-planned-site-former-3150801

I don't know if anyone remembers the old ABC Cinema on Belgrave Gate but this is a proposed replacement.

Quote:-

Planning documents submitted to the city council state: “The architectural concept is derived from the site’s physical and historic context and references its previous use in both a literal and figurative manner.

This is why so many attractive buildings are replaced by bland grey rectangular blocks. 

I love old cinemas, something about the architecture is really special. I of course get why it doesn't make sense in the modern era, but there's something quite idyllic about the idea of when there was a cinema every few miles that were frequented all the time.

I'd always much prefer Leicester Odeon cinema building. over Image result for showcase cinema leicester

3 hours ago, davieG said:

0_JS188979503.jpg

The reasoning is double; price and that the previous alternative materials are largely banned by Grenfell (or the insurers don't want them). 

6 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

The reasoning is double; price and that the previous alternative materials are largely banned by Grenfell (or the insurers don't want them). 

Price obviously although Profit would be a better one as for materials there's plenty of better, more interesting buildings being built elsewhere with acceptable materials and not just in London.

I jbelieve that just like a lot of 60s/70s buildings are now being regretted, assuming they've actually lasted so the current trend for bland, grey rectangular blocks will be regretted in the future and people will be asking how did these things get approved and built?

2 minutes ago, davieG said:

Price obviously although Profit would be a better one as for materials there's plenty of better, more interesting buildings being built elsewhere with acceptable materials and not just in London.

On these type of apartment blocks, the most economic route for them is the modular brick-slip panels as demonstrated in the picture. You'll note the Lumis Student Village and the Wullcomb development opposite the Highcross. 

These developments are literally knock-em, sweat on the rent yields and sell off to investors/pension funds/wealth management funds. They want the build as cheap as possible (cladding used to give that opportunity). No architectural merit. Largely targeting the foreign student market and post-graduates capable of renting also. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

On these type of apartment blocks, the most economic route for them is the modular brick-slip panels as demonstrated in the picture. You'll note the Lumis Student Village and the Wullcomb development opposite the Highcross. 

These developments are literally knock-em, sweat on the rent yields and sell off to investors/pension funds/wealth management funds. They want the build as cheap as possible (cladding used to give that opportunity). No architectural merit. Largely targeting the foreign student market and post-graduates capable of renting also. 

I understand but is it what Leicester want when we have a Mayor (voted in by significant majority) who seems intent on spending tax payers money to try to make the City more inviting to tourists seemingly, considering a lot of stuff I read at the expense of it's inhabitants.

The equation doesn't seem to add up.

Just now, davieG said:

I understand but is it what Leicester want when we have a Mayor (voted in by significant majority) who seems intent on spending tax payers money to try to make the City more inviting to tourists seemingly, considering a lot of stuff I read at the expense of it's inhabitants.

The equation doesn't seem to add up.

Oh without a shadow - planners have to get wise as well. 

It's peculiar how Soulsby and the council went all out attack on Jamie Lewis, the gentlemen behind Code. 

That being located in an area suffering from being ran-down and Mr Lewis (as far as I'm aware) being self-made. Yeah his development went too close to the Western pub but Narborough Road needed a development like that. 

However, they've no issue to stick up apartment blocks opposite the former Leicester Grammar site and adjacent the King Richard Museum. Also allowing a construction which overlooks the city and it's retail showpiece the Highcross. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Interesting idea..

https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/news/leicester-news/leicester-prison-could-converted-hotel-3268587

Hope the prison does close eventually, as the rest of Welford Road is fine.

But wouldn't be surprised if potential student flats at the location could be suggesting, considering they're popping up in most areas of the city centre now.

Edited by Wymeswold fox

17 minutes ago, fuchsntf said:

Nooooooooo!!!

Thats my life und memories knickerbocker-gloried..!!!!

I've been using Brucciani's since I was a teenager, some 50 years ago. Loved their coffee, pastries and particularly their fresh cream iced lemon split buns. mmmm.

Costa et al has a lot to answer for :protest:

• Sad 1

49 minutes ago, Parafox said:

I've been using Brucciani's since I was a teenager, some 50 years ago. Loved their coffee, pastries and particularly their fresh cream iced lemon split buns. mmmm.

49 minutes ago, Parafox said:

Same generation..!! First as a kid , Loved having their Ice Cream sodas,und various Sweet buns.Mam loved an eclair....Easter was hotcross bun day..

Rolls,or cobs with Cheese ( I MEAN CHEESE) und Branstone.Before my Pub age ,even during !!!  it was either,breakfast,miday cafe with Lemon Split buns,or grown-ups rewinding their  past memoirs.  Only 2 places I knew and remember that did knickerblocker glory.......Brucciani's  or Wimpeys ,   took my First Girlfriend to both, Romantic Afternoon or evening with high-tea....

later in life,ob Visits from Europe,my girlfiend(wife), then kids..!!!

Edited by fuchsntf

On 01/09/2019 at 19:51, Wymeswold fox said:

Interesting idea..

https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/news/leicester-news/leicester-prison-could-converted-hotel-3268587

Hope the prison does close eventually, as the rest of Welford Road is fine.

But wouldn't be surprised if potential student flats at the location could be suggesting, considering they're popping up in most areas of the city centre now.

"Cramped and ageing"

So fecking what, it's a prison not the Hilton. Not that many manage to break out of there and why would they?

Sky TV,  Mobile phones, narcotics aplenty & 3 meals a day.

I despair.

12 hours ago, Bert said:

It’s not the city that’s a dump. It’s the spice heads and alcoholics that are making the place look a dump. Especially the city centre. 

You go to the town hall and it is an absolute disgrace. Crackheads, spiceheads...alcoholics. Just infesting there on the grass every single day. 

I feel sorry for someone who has to have a wedding at the town hall only to come out to a bunch of crackheads on the grass...! 

17 minutes ago, Christoph said:

You go to the town hall and it is an absolute disgrace. Crackheads, spiceheads...alcoholics. Just infesting there on the grass every single day. 

I feel sorry for someone who has to have a wedding at the town hall only to come out to a bunch of crackheads on the grass...! 

You’re also constantly being asked for money by them all as well. Two separate occasions (amongst many) I’ve been asked for money both times I’ve said no and the responses went like this 

“oi you got 20p” “no sorry” I always say. Returned by “tramp” lol 

Then another time I got asked for £1 “sorry I’ve got no money on me” to the response of “well is there any chance you could go to a cashpoint to get some money out and get some change?” lol 

Nothing surprises me anymore. 

7 minutes ago, Bert said:

You’re also constantly being asked for money by them all as well. Two separate occasions (amongst many) I’ve been asked for money both times I’ve said no and the responses went like this 

“oi you got 20p” “no sorry” I always say. Returned by “tramp” lol 

Then another time I got asked for £1 “sorry I’ve got no money on me” to the response of “well is there any chance you could go to a cashpoint to get some money out and get some change?” lol 

Nothing surprises me anymore. 

I don't even respond. Completely blank those people.