Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Is the City of Leicester a dump?

3 minutes ago, MattP said:

Yeah I lapped it up. 

Some great ciders, proper drinkers and we whipped out the trivial pursuit board - cracking way to spend a couple of hours.

Only bad thing is when its quiet the all wood interior can bounce sound around so it feel cavernous, but the beer choice is second to none.

20 hours ago, Miquel The Work Geordie said:

Surprised at this. I'm a Nottingham native now and have been for a while because of work - and I think "shops wise" there's little in it. Admittedly, Nottingham does have a few big brands with a presence in the city (Fred Perry and Paul Smith off the top of my head) and some lovely independents around Hockley and Bridlesmith Gate – but the Broadmarsh and Victoria Centre make the Haymarket seem idyllic, let alone the Highcross which absolutely kills the pair of them (shopping centres aren't my bag to be honest but pitched against each other we cruise it). I sometimes use the Broadmarsh as a shortcut and it's especially cursed now it's being tarted up. Lots of empty units too.

Whilst there are objectively more boozers, and loads of really, really good ones, I'd still rate TTL above anywhere in Nottingham, despite Nottingham being better for a bev. The couple that run it are great and the crowd in there is always the right pitch.

I think Leicester's biggest issue is it has loads of great little pockets but to get from A to B you invariably have to go through an area / stretch that feels a bit unloved, to say the least. Every street that runs off the clock tower (bar the High Street) is grubby. I also don't think the student population of Leicester brings any value to the city centre itself and that's the polar of opposite of the likes of Leeds, Nottingham, Sheffield, etc - where they really get into where they've gone and put money into their respective cities.

I've brought my other half a couple of times and she's enjoyed each visit. It could be better but it definitely could be alot, lot worse.

Agreed with a lot of this. Work in Nottingham (Lace market) and the general area is probably better in Nottingham but for actual shopping I much prefer Leicester. For the shopping centres I'd probably rank it as Highcross > Victoria Centre > Haymarket. Broadmarsh is just a shell nowadays and genuinely depressing to even set foot in, so I'm not even going to bother comparing against the others. 

Nottingham really need to hurry up with all the development work, though. The entire area between the train station and Lace market/the centre has been nothing but building sites for what feels like forever.

4 hours ago, Darkon84 said:

Might have to finally give it a go. i walk past it almost every day but have never stepped foot in. 

If you like beer it's great mate, I can see why it might not be some people's bag but I think it's superb.

3 hours ago, Xen said:

Agreed with a lot of this. Work in Nottingham (Lace market) and the general area is probably better in Nottingham but for actual shopping I much prefer Leicester. For the shopping centres I'd probably rank it as Highcross > Victoria Centre > Haymarket. Broadmarsh is just a shell nowadays and genuinely depressing to even set foot in, so I'm not even going to bother comparing against the others. 

Nottingham really need to hurry up with all the development work, though. The entire area between the train station and Lace market/the centre has been nothing but building sites for what feels like forever.

I work in the Lace Market in all and find it mad how's there's no discernable walking route at the moment from the station to the city, you're either through the Broadmarsh or up the Contemporary stairs, at least Leicester has New Walk if you don't fancy Granby Street. 

Can never remember the name of the street here, but the one that links the Market Square with the Victoria centre is far, far worse than *anything* Leicester has to offer. Harrowing.

It’s a really interesting question, as I’ve previously said if you lift your head upwards and look at the buildings a lot of Leicester is wonderful with some beautiful old buildings, but cast your eyes down and it can often give you the opposite feeling. There are no real music venues in the centre large enough to bring a crowd in which would give life to the city centre in the evenings, we have some decent pubs and restaurants in the centre but there is no real vibe to the centre in the evenings. I love the surrounding countryside but that’s the county not the city.

On 26/11/2019 at 22:07, Miquel The Work Geordie said:

The Blue Boar is sensational.

Great pub. Good selection of beers and I must say they really do know how to look after the beer in there. Also for it's location the prices are kept really low. Not the type of pub you could spend a night in due to the nature of a micro pub being well, micro, but considering how many traditional pubs are now shutting it's great to see these little pubs making a fist of it. 

I usually drink in the Western up the narbs but if i'm ever in town i'll always pop in to the Blue Boar :beer:

I wish the council would stipulate that shop signing has to fit with the building. The buildings around the market are lovely but they're ruined by cheap shit shop frontages. 

Around the lanes and centre its actually pretty good area to drink in, its just that there isn't a drinking culture in the city to match.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, RoboFox said:

Does anyone go to Brauny Gate anymore? 

Last time I went was to watch City vs. Man Utd before we won the title at Sumo.

I only ever go to go to the sushi restaurant, Little Tokyo (which is amazing, if that's your thing). Went last week and everything was so dead. The area towards tesco feels really seedy too, so badly lit and random people hanging around seemingly just staring at people. Haven't been there to drink for about 6 years, if I'm in that area I'll go to nine bar on narborough road or just go into the centre.

28 minutes ago, RoboFox said:

Last time I went to Sumo was as a 17 year old (which is now almost 11 years ago) for a music gig and me and a couple of friends got caught letting off a fire extinguisher in a back room. We were then physically dragged into the owners' office and had to pay £200 in cash for the damage. Probably won't be heading back.

In my defence, I was an impressionable teen and it has lead me to a career in Law :ph34r:

• Haha 1

41 minutes ago, Kopic said:

I only ever go to go to the sushi restaurant, Little Tokyo (which is amazing, if that's your thing). Went last week and everything was so dead. The area towards tesco feels really seedy too, so badly lit and random people hanging around seemingly just staring at people. Haven't been there to drink for about 6 years, if I'm in that area I'll go to nine bar on narborough road or just go into the centre.

It always has been pretty bleak around there, TBH. When there was a Carpetright (maybe it was a Focus?) where the Tesco now is, it was probably even more dingy. The DMU buildings that have popped up where the old Braunstone Bridge was have made that end of the road significantly more modern. There was always some manky, lonely-looking pub there surrounded by derelict buildings. The Pump and Tap, I think it was called.

Nine and Pi were always good local little bars. A quick Google showed that Pi has now closed... Sad. It was always my local, and attracted a significantly less terrifying clientele than Lost Bar.

29 minutes ago, David Guiza said:

Last time I went to Sumo was as a 17 year old (which is now almost 11 years ago) for a music gig and me and a couple of friends got caught letting off a fire extinguisher in a back room. We were then physically dragged into the owners' office and had to pay £200 in cash for the damage. Probably won't be heading back.

In my defence, I was an impressionable teen and it has lead me to a career in Law :ph34r:

lol

Think I played a gig there once around 2005. I have to say, it's one of the few times I've been in there despite living around the corner for a few years... It was always a bit minging. Glad it's still there though. It'll always attract the student crowd.

There's a steampunk-themed rock bar opening where OBar was, apparently. I'll have to pop back to the Brauny next time I'm in Leicester. Good times, man.

15 minutes ago, RoboFox said:

lol

Think I played a gig there once around 2005. I have to say, it's one of the few times I've been in there despite living around the corner for a few years... It was always a bit minging. Glad it's still there though. It'll always attract the student crowd.

There's a steampunk-themed rock bar opening where OBar was, apparently. I'll have to pop back to the Brauny next time I'm in Leicester. Good times, man.

Yours was probably the sort of band we went to see then!

It was that awkward time of being too old to be a kid and too young to be an adult, so drinking cheap cider and heading to gigs that would allow 16/17 year olds in was the thing to do. It was always a laugh in fairness, minus the criminal debt.

I'll check that out, sounds up my street and a welcome change from the Love Island type bars littered around every city.  

1 hour ago, RoboFox said:

It always has been pretty bleak around there, TBH. When there was a Carpetright (maybe it was a Focus?) where the Tesco now is, it was probably even more dingy. The DMU buildings that have popped up where the old Braunstone Bridge was have made that end of the road significantly more modern. There was always some manky, lonely-looking pub there surrounded by derelict buildings. The Pump and Tap, I think it was called.

Nine and Pi were always good local little bars. A quick Google showed that Pi has now closed... Sad. It was always my local, and attracted a significantly less terrifying clientele than Lost Bar.

lol

The Pump & Tap closed just as I started going out, meant to be a decent gaff by all accounts. Didn't it have a back yard in one of the railway arches?

Didn't know Pi had closed, always thought it'd take enough trade and because it wasn't huge, would be safe enough.

OBar going down the drain seemed to finish the area off – I always loved Loaf too. West End Brewery wasn't bad on the one time I've been in but I'm not going to drag myself down that end of town for the sake of a 'not bad' gaff. 

Used to love Braunstone gate back in its heyday. Left Bank, Loaf, The Looking Glass and O Bar were all really good bars.

Also used to like going to the Mexican Restaurant Que Pasa, before it turned into a buffet. I remember you'd have to ring the bell to get in. 

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Paninistickers said:

Random thought to type, but I think it every time I drive past it....but the old corah building would make a fantastic arena.

And it'd regenerate / spruce up a delapidated corner of town

I see what yo mean but it's location is "out of town". there's nothing else around it. Take the arena in Birmingham, It's got the canals. the restaurants and bars all nearby and there's a great atmosphere there. 

with Corah's you've got the bus station and the flyover.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, RoboFox said:

Used to be a great area to drink in. As soon as Natter Jacks opened things turned for worse imo. It seemed to bring more of your lager lout types in. Loaf shut down as trouble started happening for them because of it. Factor in the the giant Tesco's over shadowing everything it's just not the same anymore. 

That being said the west end brewery is nice little micro pub well worth the visit and the Black Horse and the Western are decent old english pubs, the latter of which has a nice open fire and bbq on match days.  :thumbup:

12 hours ago, Parafox said:

I see what yo mean but it's location is "out of town". there's nothing else around it. Take the arena in Birmingham, It's got the canals. the restaurants and bars all nearby and there's a great atmosphere there. 

with Corah's you've got the bus station and the flyover.

Yes it's a real shame that once the old industries in that block died they didn't see the possibilities of linking in up with the canal and Abbey Park which is just a stones throw away from the rear of the old Cotah's building would have brought Abbey park 'closer to the town centre.

Now the whole area is just a business park.

Work finally starts on Travelodge hotel above Leicester shopping centre
The previous contractors went into administration

1COMMENT
ByDan MartinPolitics Reporter
13:37, 5 DEC 2019
NEWS

The proposed Travelodge at Leicester's Haymarket Shopping Centre

A delayed project to create a new hotel city centre has finally started.

Travelodge intends to open a 67-bedroom in in disused office space above the Haymarket Shopping Centre and is working with Leicester City Council on the scheme.

The council has agreed a £10 million package to assist the project which includes improvements to the offices, which have been empty for 30 years, and the adjacent Haymarket car park.

Sir Peter Soulsby and the contractors
The contractors originally appointed went into administration last year but now a new firm - NMCN - has been appointed to take on the job and they have now started work.

Work has also begun on the construction of two new lifts, which will provide access from Belgrave Gate to the new hotel and the refurbished Haymarket car park, as well as to the Haymarket Theatre – allowing people with disabilities to have full access to the whole building.

Both the hotel scheme and the new lifts are due for completion in August 2020.

NMCN Operations director Nick Banks said: “We are delighted to start on this project in the centre of Leicester and to be part of the regeneration and economy of the area.”

City mayor Sir Peter Soulsby visited the site this week to meet the contractors and see how works are progressing.

“I’m very pleased that NMCN are now on site as the principal contractor and we’ll soon see some real progress on this scheme,” he said.

“Haymarket House has been vacant for years, so it’s really important that this high-profile site in the heart of the city centre is brought back into use.

“Leicester’s increasing appeal as a visitor destination means there’s growing demand for hotel accommodation in the city centre, so I’m pleased that this scheme is now back on track and will deliver 67 additional rooms in the very heart of the city.

“Our investment in this building will further invigorate the city centre, while providing a welcome boost to the council’s own finances.”

While Sir Peter has insisted the scheme is a sound use of council cash, critics have questioned the investment.

The mayor say the project will support  the regeneration of the key city centre site and the city council has secured a 125-year-lease on Haymarket House, sub-letting the refurbished building to Travelodge.

DMR-TEM_05062018travelodge.jpg
The proposed Travelodge at Leicester's Haymarket shopping Centre
As part of the scheme the city council has carried out a major £1.8million refurbishment of the Haymarket car park, with new surfacing, wider parking spaces, new lighting and improved pedestrian walkways.

A new automatic number plate recognition system and improved CCTV security will also be installed as part of the refurbishment.

The city council has extended its lease on the car park – which is owned by Haymarket Property Ltd – until 2049.

Scheme Name - Dump on a dump :P