Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
maxwelld_

Leicester 2nd fav again to win the league

I said we were second favourites about a week ago. It's bloody ridiculous at this stage, if we can't offload the high earners, we can't bring others in and we're going nowhere unless we sneak a play off place and a Frenchman doesn't take a penalty for us. I don't see QPR as favourites at this point either.

Let's just ignore the bookies and keep our expectations under control this season

I said we were second favourites about a week ago. It's bloody ridiculous at this stage, if we can't offload the high earners, we can't bring others in and we're going nowhere unless we sneak a play off place and a Frenchman doesn't take a penalty for us. I don't see QPR as favourites at this point either.

Let's just ignore the bookies and keep our expectations under control this season

Errm this really

Agreed. I think our season could hinge on how much of the expensive reserves we can shift. I do think we'll be in a very good position if we can move them all on, though.

I can't see QPR doing all that well, either.

Don't make me laugh about 2nd favourites for promotion,the only way that would be a justified prediction is if Pearson is removed.tactically the man is a joke if he stays I predict more play off heartache for us,we should be looking for a leader with a winning promotion mentality like a Tony Pullis,Martin O'Neill,Neil Warnock,and get rid of this joker .

Don't make me laugh about 2nd favourites for promotion,the only way that would be a justified prediction is if Pearson is removed.tactically the man is a joke if he stays I predict more play off heartache for

us,we should be looking for a leader with a winning

promotion mentality like a Tony Pullis,Martin O'Neill,Neil

Warnock,and get rid of this joker .

Your a pure knob head

Really don't understand the bookies soft spot for us

Probably something to do with all the money people chuck into their pockets by backing us?

With regards to the OP - bookies predictions are useless, they could make Yeovil second favourite to win the league, doesn't mean it's any more likely to happen.

take a look at our fan base (huge). believe it or not doing that the bookies get into peoples heads and they believe the hype and bet . if we were 100/1 people would believe that too and make excuses for us being 100/1 .  yep a few would go 100/1 i will have some of that but favourites get more money put on them , its a fact . mind games by the bookies thats all . with ffp this season ,who the fook can tell yet ? 

Watford are favourites in my opinion if, as is expected, they keep hold of all their loans and add a few more, they'll be difficult to stop.

QPR have the players, but do they have the desire? If Redknapp can get them motivated, like Watford they'll take some stopping.

Reading have the perfect manager to bounce back. He knows the league and his positive attitudes is well suited to this situation.

Wigan will depends on whether Martinez stays, hopefully he won't.

Then there's Bolton, Forest, Leeds and Ipswich who all had good form towards the end of the season under new-ish managers.

It's going to be tough, again.

I personally think Watford's defeat yesterday was damaging to them. The rules on loanees are a changing, and this will mean they won't be able to repeat what they've done this season.

It's all very well saying they'll sign the loanees on permanent deals, but the Pozzos are likely to receive cash offers for some of thos who've really impressed. There's also the fact that going to Watford for a year to put yourself in the spotlight and fight for a first team place is a very different proposition to signing for them for three years.

Player power will always out in such situations. If Vydra, Cassetti or Abdi wish to have a stab at Premier League or Serie A football they can dig their heels in and look for other clubs. It's not as easy as moving players around like property these days if they're ambitious.

QPR have car crash written all over them. They'll be shifting players left, right and centre and 'Arry hasn't managed in this division for a decade. Rebuilding a whole team in line with FFP when you haven't managed in one of the most competitive leagues in Europe since 2003? Plenty of scope for Redknapp to get it wrong.

Reading are the big threat. Plenty of money, a good Championship team and a highly rated manager who encourages good football. They'll do well.

Wigan will do very well if they can keep Martinez and the bulk of their squad too.

Leeds will surprise a few with less stingy owners and Brian McDermott at the helm.

Bolton should continue their progress under Freedman.

It'll be a tough league but none of these challenges are insurmountable if Pearson ships out the dead wood and replaces them appropriately.

Bookies odds aren't about what bookies think themselves, they're not seers or oracles. It's about where the money's going. Most bookies in Leicester will have taken a lot of money on Leicester and have to shorten the odds to avoid the risk of a large pay-out. If you go to Nottingham you'll get the same report about Florist, and again in Derby for County. This is true all over the country, people back their team, wisely or not.

I have no idea how you can judge next season's final season position before transfer season has even begun.

We'll probably finish second last now anyhow.

Bookies odds aren't about what bookies think themselves, they're not seers or oracles. It's about where the money's going. Most bookies in Leicester will have taken a lot of money on Leicester and have to shorten the odds to avoid the risk of a large pay-out. If you go to Nottingham you'll get the same report about Florist, and again in Derby for County. This is true all over the country, people back their team, wisely or not.

Ah to be honest with you I didn't know it worked like that. I thought bookies prices were the same wherever you were.

For example if leicester were 5/1 to get promoted in ladbrokes in leicester they would be the same price in a bookies in Liverpool. You live and learn

Guest BlueBrett

It is as you say once the market develops but the initial ante post pricing is based on what the bookies think will happen (and where they anticipate money being spent). You will sometimes find slight variations in price according to location but obviously this can't really apply to online prices.

The championship must be one of the hardest leagues to price up. I suppose from the bookies' perspective it doesn't really matter what prices they offer at this point because they will simply adjust the prices to balance their potential liabilities as the season develops. I can see why we are a fairly short price at the moment. As people have pointed out, most of the other probable contenders seem likely to undergo significant overhauls between now and the season opener. We have a decent squad and only really require about 4 quality additions and the conventional wisdom is that we have enough money to be able to resist bids for our best players from last year.

Personally I think anyone other than an insider with knowledge of likely transfers would be an idiot to bet ante post so far in advance of the season. Having said that, I think there could possibly be a bit of early value to be had in the relegation market for someone who intends to keep a close eye on the prices and lay to their advantage.

Your a pure knob head

need to look at yourself he is completly right about pearson being awful tactical as not got a clue so keeping him would mean we will mid table at best

need to look at yourself he is completly right about pearson being awful tactical as not got a clue so keeping him would mean we will mid table at best

He's had us in the playoffs for two seasons out of three, not bad for someone who is 'awful tactical'.

Guest MattP

No way should be that short.

Bolton would be my pick at the time, got an excellent side and manager, form was starting to really show towards the end of the season.

re Watford surely if they really want these players they could just sign them on one year deals rather than loan them?

I would certainly expect us to have a tricky start as its really unclear who will be with us come August 3rd. 

Always have you in the play-offs at least..won't be popular I accept but think Forest will be up there with Reading and maybe Wigan as well.

You'd have to see who comes in at Brighton and what exactly happens at QPR but they do seem to be a mess.

Its the Championship though - what odds were Palace/Hull and Cardiff to go up!?

Probably something to do with all the money people chuck into their pockets by backing us?

With regards to the OP - bookies predictions are useless, they could make Yeovil second favourite to win the league, doesn't mean it's any more likely to happen.

Indeed, I mean just look at this season just gone, with the teams that came down then you wouldn't have necessarily picked Cardiff to win the league, Hull for runners up and Palace to follow suit in the play offs re promotion! Predictions are about as valuable as the paper they're written on re this particular league nowadays - which amounts to very little value! The only predictable thing in football now is what order the top 5 teams in the Prem are going to finish sadly! :(

re Watford surely if they really want these players they could just sign them on one year deals rather than loan them?

Forestieri signed a 5 year one..

:unsure:

Risky  - as was suggested above whilst we might be keen to keep them will players (they have their own agents) be keen to battle it out in the Championship for a season or two more...

As yesterday proved despite Holloway's claim none are world class and we can be delt with easily despite some great football.

Archived