Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Bayfox

The Napoli Project

I personally think there should be regulations in place to stop owners owning multiple teams. It should be a conflict of interests regardless of what countries they're in.

Seems like too many ways to get round FFP by using one club as the bank and another as a benefactor. 

Wouldn't want it here, don't want it anywhere. 

You're not wrong.

As naive as it is in 2013 to talk about the 'spirit of the game' at times, what Watford did was so unethical it should never be repeated. 

It's ok stopping these loans.

But who's to say that they won't get told "we need you to play here next season, but you can't be loaned so you'll go there as a transfer on a one year contract and we'll see what happens after that".

Because they're owned by the same group, the transfer fee will be minimal too.

Not saying this will happen, just a possible scenario.

The problem is growing it would seem.

Big foreign clubs are coming over and literally picking up training grounds for their players. Send a few youngsters over here to kick a ball about for a bit and then ship 'em back to Italy. Seriously harmful to the competition and the spirit of the game.

Never has it been more necessary for the people at the top to have a serious look at the rules. I accept they've made mistakes in the past but now is the time to act, I'll not forgive them if they fail to prevent this from happening again.

But who's to say that they won't get told "we need you to play here next season, but you can't be loaned so you'll go there as a transfer on a one year contract and we'll see what happens after that".

This is my worry too, but the easy way of stopping it would be to block all transfers between co-owned clubs.

The whole loan system is a farce and enables PL teams to scoop up all the promising young players knowing there's a queue of 'smaller' eager to borrow them when if without such a scheme more young players would stay with and progress with the club that found them

I can't see that Watford are doing anything less ethical than us at Leicester who, in trying to buy our way out of this division, have racked up mountains of debt. To the best of my knowledge, Watford aren't in anywhere near the financial shit we are in. And by the way, ADL is a massive supporter of FFP!

The whole loan system is a farce and enables PL teams to scoop up all the promising young players knowing there's a queue of 'smaller' eager to borrow them when if without such a scheme more young players would stay with and progress with the club that found them

I'd be delighted if they dramatacly reduced the number of loans that could be had, one or two loans maximum per team.

I can't see that Watford are doing anything less ethical than us at Leicester who, in trying to buy our way out of this division, have racked up mountains of debt. To the best of my knowledge, Watford aren't in anywhere near the financial shit we are in. And by the way, ADL is a massive supporter of FFP!

Shhhh, stop talking sense.

I'd be delighted if they dramatacly reduced the number of loans that could be had, one or two loans maximum per team.

Emergency loans should be actual emergencies and in reality would be rarely used if clubs were forced into using their academy players.

I'm not hugely in favour of what the likes of ourselves are doing either, spending beyond our means. But there are regulations being brought in (FFP) to control that.

Circumnavigating FFP by using a club in a country where the legislation is more lenient to provide you cash injections or "free" players is just defeating the point. 

The idiot Watford fans claiming that they're a more financially sound club as a result of their loans are just being ludicrously obtuse. If the Pozzos have X number of players, those players need to be paid for out of the Pozzo's pot of gold just the same as if they'd bought them using Watford's own cash flow. 

There are no "free" players, the owners are just taking the financial hit through the books of Udinese Calcio instead of Watford FC. 

I'm not hugely in favour of what the likes of ourselves are doing either, spending beyond our means. But there are regulations being brought in (FFP) to control that.

Circumnavigating FFP by using a club in a country where the legislation is more lenient to provide you cash injections or "free" players is just defeating the point. 

The idiot Watford fans claiming that they're a more financially sound club as a result of their loans are just being ludicrously obtuse. If the Pozzos have X number of players, those players need to be paid for out of the Pozzo's pot of gold just the same as if they'd bought them using Watford's own cash flow. 

There are no "free" players, the owners are just taking the financial hit through the books of Udinese Calcio instead of Watford FC. 

Correct on all counts.

Not a lot to add.

I do wonder what the Udinese fans make of it.

I've thought about this what's to say they couldn't sell the likes of vydra for £1 it's not fair play, not sure if competition rules count in football but in theory Watford would have players beyond their means, they could sell him back for £1 at the end of the season.

And it could work the other way IF Watford get to the premier league, with more income coming in than the Italian league would they be signing players with the increased TV money loaning them to Udinese etc, with no intention of them ever appearing for Watford using the PL income to bankroll the serie a team.

I guess the next step would be to buy a team in Luxembourg and loan your players to sides from that club so you don't pay tax on wages.

It stinks by all accounts

That's a good point. I've never looked at it in that way.

I've thought about this what's to say they couldn't sell the likes of vydra for £1 it's not fair play, not sure if competition rules count in football but in theory Watford would have players beyond their means, they could sell him back for £1 at the end of the season.

And it could work the other way IF Watford get to the premier league, with more income coming in than the Italian league would they be signing players with the increased TV money loaning them to Udinese etc, with no intention of them ever appearing for Watford using the PL income to bankroll the serie a team.

I guess the next step would be to buy a team in Luxembourg and loan your players to sides from that club so you don't pay tax on wages.

Wich ever way you look at it, it stinks

Whatever happens it all stinks IMO

This is a good point.

Open collusion between firms is illegal, corporations who sign contracts between themselves to agree prices for a given year can be reprimanded by the competition commission and face heavy penalties.

Watford are clearly colluding with Udinese. Everyone knows it. As much as it isn't a pleasant way to think of it, football is a business. Therefore any anti-competitive behaviour should be clamped down upon.

Thank god somebody speaking sense and not trying to make us the victims.

Am i the only one not bothered by what they did and just think fairplay they found the loophole 

No, you really are not.

Like you say fair play to them, the option is there for everyone to use, it's just unfortunate the owners of other foreign clubs havn't seen our club/and others as attractive as Watford to buy for whatever reasons.

It's not against the rules, the option is there for everyone so it's not as if it's unfair.

Like I said i'm calling on people to be honest and am asking if they'd have the same views and arguements had Leicester fell lucky and been bought by people who owned a foreign club and the same situation happened here.

And like I said before the playoffs if Watford had finished mid-table would there even be a discussion? If we didn't play them in the playoffs would there even be a discussion? If we had got automatic would there even be a discussion? Again, I very much doubt it.

I just have to question would people have these same views/arguments if Leicester had done it?

I doubt it very much, be honest.

True. I think I'd have said less about it then but still would've had my doubts.

If you're the one misbehaving you're less likely to speak out against it because you're benefiting. It's only when you're on the outside that you can see the full damage being caused.

Looking back, what we did last season was wrong, I can see that now. It was good for the competition that we failed.

In all honesty, I'd have enjoyed the ride and football this season but would have misgivings if it was us.

I'd be very aware of the fact the players aren't ours and would be worried about the transience of the players.

I just have to question would people have these same views/arguments if Leicester had done it?

I'd be glad to have had the likes of Vydra in the side and I'd be excited if we had a chance of signing him.

But I'd not really be that happy, no. I'd always feel like our best players could be taken away for Udinese at any time and I'd find it hard to grow attached to any player that was just being temporarily drafted here from one of three teams.

Yes I as I've already posted I don't like the loan system at all there's so much wrong with it, I hated it when we had 5 loanees + Vitor.

I'd be glad to have had the likes of Vydra in the side and I'd be excited if we had a chance of signing him.

But I'd not really be that happy, no. I'd always feel like our best players could be taken away for Udinese at any time and I'd find it hard to grow attached to any player that was just being temporarily drafted here from one of three teams.

But isn't that risk there anyway?

If we ever had a real talent at Leicester they'd get taken away from us, yes we'd benefit from the money I suppose and can you really get attached to any players nowadays? Players tend to move on within a space of 3 years or less nowadays anyway.

Yes I agree if someone got taken away from us we'd benefit from money and if we sign a player permenent we're likely to have them longer than 1 year but at the same time loaning players you don't lose money as you would buying them, you don't necceserilly play as much on there contracts, and if they turn out to be rubbish (Like a few players we've signed over the years) they are easier to get rid off.

There are positives and negatives towards both.

But if you believe signing players on permenent mean they won't be taken away from us or you can have more attachment to them, I think you are very much mistaken, especially if they are really that good.

No, you really are not.

Like you say fair play to them, the option is there for everyone to use, it's just unfortunate the owners of other foreign clubs havn't seen our club/and others as attractive as Watford to buy for whatever reasons.

It's not against the rules, the option is there for everyone so it's not as if it's unfair.

Like I said i'm calling on people to be honest and am asking if they'd have the same views and arguements had Leicester fell lucky and been bought by people who owned a foreign club and the same situation happened here.

And like I said before the playoffs if Watford had finished mid-table would there even be a discussion? If we didn't play them in the playoffs would there even be a discussion? If we had got automatic would there even be a discussion? Again, I very much doubt it.

If they'd have been lower down the league the teams at the bottom would be moaning. I've not moaned about it because they worked within the current that doesn't mean the rules were fair though.

Archived