Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Kasper: I Want To Be At Leicester

Kasper Schmeichel insists he is as committed to Leicester City as he has ever been, as he prepares to return for his third season with the Foxes.

The Denmark international goalkeeper, so impressive during his first two years at King Power Stadium, has been the subject of considerable media speculation this summer, including wholly inaccurate reports that he had submitted a transfer request.

But the 26-year-old custodian, enjoying an extended summer break due to his post-season international commitments, has his sights firmly fixed on another promotion charge with City next term.

Speaking exclusively to LCFC.com, Kasper said: "It's been a strange summer, coming to terms with what happened to the team at the end of last season and not getting much of a break due to internationals, but there has never been a thought in my mind that I wouldn't be coming back to Leicester.

"I've said many times before that I enjoy playing for this Football Club, I enjoy coming to work every day and I want to be successful here.

"You hear speculation of things you're supposed to have said or done like handing in transfer requests and it's just ridiculous. I've never said I wanted to leave Leicester.

"Like every professional, I want to play at the highest level, but I want to do that with Leicester and, with the players, management, staff and fans we have here, I know we can achieve that.

"It's a big season coming up for us now. We need to make sure we're focused on what we want to achieve and work harder than anyone else to make sure we achieve it."

While the majority of his team-mates reported for testing this week ahead of pre-season officially getting underway on Monday, Schmeichel is among those benefitting from an extended break.

After playing his 53rd domestic game of the campaign in the play-off defeat to Watford on 12 May, City's vice captain joined up with Morten Olsen's Denmark squad for internationals against Georgia and Armenia, meaning his season only finished on 11 June.

He'll link up with Nigel Pearson's City squad at their training camp in Austria in mid-July and expects to join a squad galvanised by the nature of last season's dramatic climax.

"The way last season ended was painful for all of us, but that kind of experience will make us stronger as a group and I'm sure we can come back better for it this season," he said.

"There are some big characters in our dressing room - it's a squad full of players that want to do well for this Club and mount a big challenge next year. The Championship is always a tough league to do well in, but we know as a group what we're capable of.

"We've seen the fixtures come out, which normally acts as a little jolt that the season is just around the corner, and when Middlesbrough comes around on 3 August, we'll be ready."

A Club spokesman added: "Kasper has been the subject of considerable speculation this summer and the Club wishes to re-iterate that he has not requested a transfer, is not for sale and remains a committed and key member of Nigel Pearson’s squad as we prepare for another push for promotion to the Premier League in the 2013/14 season."

Read more at http://www.lcfc.com/news/article/270613-kasper-i-want-to-be-at-leicester-v2-883583.aspx?#YIf6bIlmVrKe2L1d.99

Doesn't mean anything really, it's football, if we accept an offer from a club who offer him double wages then any footballer would consider it.

He needs to put words into action and sign a contract.

Fantastic news.Seemed to me to be like us fans last year.Kicking/ slicing every ball,getting mardy and giving it his all( unlike our vocals at times)pleasure to have him if he stays.

Just needs to sign a contract and hope the club don't get a silly offer.

Why do we have to offer him a new contract?

There is no rush I imagine we could only offer him a new contract if we are in a position to get promoted so hopefully next May!

Because we don't want to lose him for nothing next summer when we could get £2 million + right now.

Why do we have to offer him a new contract?

There is no rush I imagine we could only offer him a new contract if we are in a position to get promoted so hopefully next May!

Is it not possible to offer him a contract now,with a clause to review it at the end of next season.

Because we don't want to lose him for nothing next summer when we could get £2 million + right now.

The club are willing to take that risk in the hope of gaining promotion, so what is £2m in use when we could get £120m for getting promotion?

I understand where your coming from but we don't need the money, offload the deadwood (yes I know that isn't happening very quickly) and we should be fine.

The club are willing to take that risk in the hope of gaining promotion, so what is £2m in use when we could get £120m for getting promotion?

I understand where your coming from but we don't need the money, offload the deadwood (yes I know that isn't happening very quickly) and we should be fine.

Are we in that much of a mess that we can't even offer players new contracts? I imagine Kasper is one a lot of money as well (guessing around 20k/25k a week).

There is a risk that we could lose him at the end of the season for free, or even in for free in January if interest is from a foreign club. That would be horrible, especially considering we've gone through all this process of rejecting bids for him.

Can Kasper's stance be interpreted as follows?

- For now, I'd only be interested in leaving for a prospect of 1st team football with an established Premier League club

- I'll give it 1 more season to try to get promotion (and 1st team football in Premier) at Leicester

- I probably won't sign any new, almost certainly reduced-rate contract extension that LCFC offer me for Championship football

- In Summer 2014, either LCFC will be promoted, in which case they'll offer me an improved contract, or they won't be promoted, in which case someone else will cough up big wages to take me on a free transfer

If so, what should the club's stance be? Try to cash in and use the transfer fee to improve the squad? Gamble on not offering a big bucks contract and see where we are in the summer - or in January? Offer a contract extension at a reduced rate, but with significant increases / incentive payments tied to promotion?

Can Kasper's stance be interpreted as follows?

- For now, I'd only be interested in leaving for a prospect of 1st team football with an established Premier League club

- I'll give it 1 more season to try to get promotion (and 1st team football in Premier) at Leicester

- I probably won't sign any new, almost certainly reduced-rate contract extension that LCFC offer me for Championship football

- In Summer 2014, either LCFC will be promoted, in which case they'll offer me an improved contract, or they won't be promoted, in which case someone else will cough up big wages to take me on a free transfer

If so, what should the club's stance be? Try to cash in and use the transfer fee to improve the squad? Gamble on not offering a big bucks contract and see where we are in the summer - or in January? Offer a contract extension at a reduced rate, but with significant increases / incentive payments tied to promotion?

I think this is a really good post. For me, the club should offer him a new improved contract. Surely we can't lose. If we get promoted, the wages wont be a problem. If we fail to win promotion, we'll be able to sell him for decent money.

In a summer which has thus far been pretty negative I'd say the news Kasper isn't going to force a move is fantastic. It's good to hear some positive news. A lot of players in his shoes would demand a move to the prem now.

I think this is a really good post. For me, the club should offer him a new improved contract. Surely we can't lose. If we get promoted, the wages wont be a problem. If we fail to win promotion, we'll be able to sell him for decent money.

In a summer which has thus far been pretty negative I'd say the news Kasper isn't going to force a move is fantastic. It's good to hear some positive news. A lot of players in his shoes would demand a move to the prem now.

Spot on mate!

The only way we can lose out is by letting him run down his contract and letting him go on a free next season. I really want him to stay but without a new contract it's poor business

I agree offer him a contract now, Most probably on less that he is. Give him lets say 2 weeks to decide and if he rejects say we will take 3million for him. We can't afford to walk away with nothing next season. When we could of had 2million and Jack Hobbs

Saying that next pre season I am not looking forward too... Kasper, Nugent, Morgan, Koncheskey and more? will be leaving on frees :/ I can also see that will be the time our younger players like RDL, James, King, Schlupp, Knockaert get offers from premier league clubs as well... Lets hope we get promoted :D 

I agree offer him a contract now, Most probably on less that he is. Give him lets say 2 weeks to decide and if he rejects say we will take 3million for him. We can't afford to walk away with nothing next season. When we could of had 2million and Jack Hobbs

Saying that next pre season I am not looking forward too... Kasper, Nugent, Morgan, Koncheskey and more? will be leaving on frees :/ I can also see that will be the time our younger players like RDL, James, King, Schlupp, Knockaert get offers from premier league clubs as well... Lets hope we get promoted :D

Or they could all be banging on the doors of the kp, begging for new contracts and not wanting to join the ever increasing scrapheap of players without contracts that no one can either afford or want.

Personally I would sell him now bring someone else in cheaper rather than lose him for nothing next summer

I know he isn't dispensable but why risk bringing in a crap goalkeeper to replace one of the best keepers in this league f**k the money we don't need it.

We kind of do need the money though, otherwise we could face fines and a transfer embargo next season with Schmeichel leaving for nothing and then we are unable to bring anyone else in to replace him

We kind of do need the money though, otherwise we could face fines and a transfer embargo next season with Schmeichel leaving for nothing and then we are unable to bring anyone else in to replace him

Money for what though? i.e to reduce the wage bill or increase the transfer kitty?, we have rejected Hull City bids we could of accepted them but didn't.

I wouldn't worry about a transfer embargo or fines for that matter yes we need to offload the deadwood some of which are high earners, but if we cannot then it isn't the end of the world gaining promotion would sort out our monetary problems.

Money for what though? i.e to reduce the wage bill or increase the transfer kitty?, we have rejected Hull City bids we could of accepted them but didn't.

I wouldn't worry about a transfer embargo or fines for that matter yes we need to offload the deadwood some of which are high earners, but if we cannot then it isn't the end of the world gaining promotion would sort out our monetary problems.

Of course gaining promotion would help sort our monetary "problems" but you can't simply rely on that. We don't ever seem to get good business through transfers in or outs and letting Kasper go for free would be ridiculous

(In response to Happy Fox, reply button does not work on the web browser I am using)

Just need money so the accounts for 13-14 balance more even, I for 1 have to admit I agree with you regarding the fines as I'm surprised why the owners would be overly concerned about them when we had an open cheque book before to build a team for promotion anyway. Possibly the concern to meet FFP regulations is to avoid an embargo or even point deduction possibily is why it is being dealt with so seriously? Who knows

Guest ttfn

Why would be accept less than what he's on now? That would be madness at the best of times, let alone with a lucrative free transfer coming his way in a year's time if he doesn't sign.

These statements are a little old hat now. Football used to be controlled by agents but now it is in the hands of accountants. Managers, owners and players will just have to do as they're told. "You going to be over the FFP, sell your best player or else".

Archived