Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

``We are not going to add to the squad at this moment in time."

Leicester City are unlikely to make too many changes to their squad for the coming season, manager Nigel Pearson has said.

City have yet to bring in any new recruits since the end of last season, and Pearson said no new arrivals were imminent.

​

And so far, there has been only one departure, with Jermaine Beckford set to complete his move to Bolton Wanderers shortly.

Pearson said that the new Financial Fair Play regulations, which restrict City to making no more than an £8million loss this season, at the risk of being hit with penalties such as a transfer ban, had played a big part in his summer transfer dealings.

However, he said he would not rule out making any new signings before the start of the season.

"I don't think there are going to be massive changes," he said.

"We will need to work very hard to come into line with the Financial Fair Play regulations.

"I am not ruling anything out. There is always speculation about what is happening, whether you are active or not overly active.

"We will try and do our business in the way we always do it, but I don't envisage large numbers of players coming in at all. We are not going to add to the squad at this moment in time."

Not many clubs are spending money in the Championship at present and Pearson said FFP was the major factor.

"It is going to freeze the market because the implications for football clubs are pretty big," he said.

"Whether we like it or not, we have to adhere to them. We have to work hard to come into line with those and we will cut our cloth accordingly.

"We have to do our business in the right fashion."

Although he will not be making many signings, Pearson said he had faith in his existing squad that they can do even better than last season, when they narrowly missed out on a place in the play-off final.

"This group of players got us into the play-offs last season," he said.

"Another year together and they have learned a lot. We have some good, exciting young players here.

"The expectation will be there for us to have another good year."

Read more: http://www.thisisleicestershire.co.uk/story-19489804-detail/story.html?#ixzz2YQdrm4qP

Follow us: @thisisleics on Twitter | thisisleicestershire on Facebook

Was it that wise to tell a good few players to bugger off when by our own admission the market is "Frozen" ?

What happens if these players are all still here come September?

That will make for a lovely atmosphere!

Nigel... We made the playoffs by freak luck and other teams messing up.

But i have faith in him so hopefully he knows what he is doing!

So over the course of the season it was luck that meant we finished in the playoffs and nothing to do with us amassing more points than others who played the same number of games. You finish where you deserve to.

Was it that wise to tell a good few players to bugger off when by our own admission the market is "Frozen" ?

The players we don't want already knew they weren't wanted as we shipped them out last year also at one time or another.

They all know the FFP situation as well, what are we supposed to do, tell them they are wanted and then flog them or not play them.

It gives everyone a chance to sort their futures if they want to. Most will be happy earning the biggest pay day they will ever get though sadly.

So over the course of the season it was luck that meant we finished in the playoffs and nothing to do with us amassing more points than others who played the same number of games. You finish where you deserve to.

You're right, luck had nothing to do with it on that final day :)

We did the hard work required at Forest.

Bolton and Forest couldn't do it on their own turf.

Are you trying to downplay our success? Standard Leicester fan behaviour, that.

Playoffs by luck? I think a better argument was that we dropped out of the top six by bad luck (coupled with some terrible performances) - we were 2nd for quite a while on merit

Didn't think there'd be large changes and don't think we really need it - we have a good squad and can use loans where needed. The Beckford deal seems to be taking ages though, just sign the damn papers!

You know, I'm in the "Pearson Bummer" brigade and have been from the start.  I like him as a manager, he seems a decent guy with integrity and I actually like his style in interviews.  I think he's probably a really funny guy who just likes to keep his cards close to his chest.  For this reason I stuck with him last season and think overall he has done a good job with our football club.

I actually think we would still be fairly well placed even without any signings and feel this shrewd, frugal climate is probably something Pearson will thrive on.  In the current market of prudence and balancing the books I can't think of many other managers I would rather have in charge.  I know we had a blip last season but we were the 6th best team in the league overall, that cannot be argued.  People say "Yeah but we woz lucky cos uvver teams messed up".  I never understood this?  So when we mess up and have a blip we are the worst team in the world and the teams that over take us deserve too cos we're shit and Pearson needs shooting but when we play OK again and other teams mess up we are lucky?  Anyway, I think if Pearson develops a small squad with an "us against the world" mentality similar to the MON days we could be alright.  We have a young squad and as long as we don't lose anyone I think we will be top six again.  Hopefully one or two of our youngsters may break into the team and we may be able to sign one or two players cheaply as long as we move people on.

Anyway, I'm rambling now like the dullard that I am so, to summerise, C'mon you fvcking Foxes!!!!!

X

The players we don't want already knew they weren't wanted as we shipped them out last year also at one time or another.

Not true. For example St Ledger was loaned to Millwall to "Get Fit". And now he's been told he can go when we are obviously short of quality centre backs.

They all know the FFP situation as well, what are we supposed to do, tell them they are wanted and then flog them or not play them.

Well if it was me I'd play it cute and have moving them on if interest is show in mind whilse publicly keeping them on side and using them as and when needed.

It gives everyone a chance to sort their futures if they want to. Most will be happy earning the biggest pay day they will ever get though sadly.

By our own club's admission the market is "Frozen" so unless you are at the very top of a club's wanted list you are going to find a move that suits difficult, so why alienate players we may end up needing? We did that last season with some who for me might have helped halt the choke.

This happens all the time - players are told that they are free to find another club. Especially with the FFP rules coming into play, most players would simply ask their agents to have a look around. No hard feelings. 

And while footballers will never come up with cure for cancer, most of them have a genuine desire to play football and enough brains to realise where the money to pay the bills comes from. So even if five out of the six are here for the next season, I'm sure everyone of them will be training hard to try and get a game - and play well if selected. Even if it's purely to put themselves in the shop window. 

I know the circumstances and the personalities involved are entirely different - but look at Beckham at Real when Capello came in. Fabio benched him and pretty much said there was no room for Becks in his team (due to the LA Galaxy announcement). He then had to chance his mind (and even later selected him for England) when he saw how hard Beckham trained and how dedicated he was in his performances for the team when he did give him 20 minutes at the end of a game.

Players can turn it around. Somebody like Danns could well get a run in the team if he shows Nige that he wants it enough. Whether he fits in with the system is another matter. 

There is no such thing as 'luck'. And a team playing a season over 40+ games don't make the top 6 with luck. Working hard creates the luck, wasn't it Bill Shankly who said that? The Championship (or any league) isn't a one of Cup game. In a cup game, Leeds might beat Manchester United, Barnsley might beat Liverpool but it doesn't mean they are the better team. A league, on the other hand, is played over more than 40 games and shows where teams deserve to be at the end of the season, and we were rightly in the top 6.

We worked hard and played well away at Nottingham Forest, and got the reward. It's just a shame that throughout our miserable run players didn't seem to want it then, otherwise we might have finished second.

____

In terms of the article though, Nige is basically confirming what we already know. So please no more new players threads?! But I bet people will still moan 'where are our new players'. Meh.

Anything to downplay the team effort that got us to 2nd spot in February, then 6th place at the end of the regular season, eh?

We still had to win at F"*çst to get there, and so we did. It's not like we didn't try at all...  :rolleyes:

Lowest points total ever in this league that got in to the play-offs and the league looks to be stronger this year, it doesn't fill me with confidence.

Lowest points total ever in this league that got in to the play-offs and the league looks to be stronger this year, it doesn't fill me with confidence.

Meaning there were still 18 teams below us who got less points. Who knows how strong the league will be, people say that every year. I think there will be two or three teams better than the top two were last year, but the rest will probably be much of a muchness again.

Cue the usual "When are we finally signing somebody?" question wave on Facebook, Tw*tter and on here...

The posts on facebook annoy me, most of them anyway. They put the training pictures up and someone said 'can't see any new players'. I was going to reply but didn't bother wasting time.

Sensible, really. We can't keep spending the way we have done recently, and lets face it - we still have a decent squad, which depending on how you choose to analyse last season, will likely see us challenging for promotion once again. And there aren't many more managers that I'd trust to work on a shoestring budget than Nigel Pearson. It seems to be his forte.

Not sure why lowest points total should mean it was easier to get in to the playoffs?  If anything the fact that there was such a small points different between playoffs and relegation was becuase it was a really tough league with a lot of good sides.  A couple of clubs running away with a stack of points doesn't mean it is harder to get into the playoffs.

Meaning there were still 18 teams below us who got less points. Who knows how strong the league will be, people say that every year. I think there will be two or three teams better than the top two were last year, but the rest will probably be much of a muchness again.

I know people say that every year but look at the facts, our points total would have had us finish about 8-10th in most seasons and that would have been an abject failure amongst our fans, the owners and the media. Pearson would have been sacked and we'd be looking for yet another manager. I can't take any confidence from the fact we finished 6th that we'll definitely be up there again this year, apart from a couple of winning streaks we had we were appalling from February onwards, APPALLING. It still points towards a much harder season ahead of us. I don't see us seriously challenging for promotion this season. We'll be competitive but I think it'll be a scrap for top ten with a sniff at the play-offs but ultimately we'll fall short. I won't be that gutted either, I hope the problems we're facing with the FFP make us look to build from within as i'm excited what the likes of Cain, Panayoitou and Laraurri can do if given the chance.

Babs I love your devil advocates approach but there's bugger all confidence can be taken from this situation, it's more hope than belief for the coming season. Not that that changes much as we've had belief the last 3 seasons and it's ultimately led to the square root of fook all. We'll still plod along though, it's what we do.

Looking at what Bolton, Wigan, QPR, Reading and Forest are doing on the transfer front I think a top six finish will be the best we can hope for, are we good enough after the latter part of last season. I fear that we will fall short this year. I hope not, but need to face facts. If Morgan and Kasper goes then what.

Archived