Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
theessexfox

Boro Away Pre Match - Predictions, Line Ups, etc

3-5-2 leaves so many question marks in team selection right now that i'm not sure what the best out come is? Having beaten Boro home and away last season with 4-4-2 should that be taken in to consideration? The extra central midfielder away from home could be important though.

Schmeichel

St Ledger

Morgan

Konchesky

De Laet

King

James

Knockaert

Schlupp or Dyer

Wood

Nugent

Subs: Whitbread, Waghorn, Marshall, Danns, Drinkwater, Schlupp/Dyer, Bakayogo

Schmeichel

De Laet  Morgan  Whitbread  Bakayogo 

James  King

Knockaert           Schlupp

Wood  Nugent

I'll go with 4-2-2-2 or 4-3-1-2 with Drinkwater in with James-king and Knockaert just behind the strikers. 

I think we just need 4 at the back for the time being, until our defence is a bit more confident. 

Forgot about subs: St Ledger, Waghorn, Marshall, Moore, Drinkwater, Dyer, Konch

Incidently Middlesborough had an absolutely diabolical final 4 months to the season, even worse than ourselves. They've not sacked Mowbray nor made too many changes. Will be interesting to see how they do along with us. In this day and age it points to both of us struggling and a change in personnel sooner rather than later but who knows?

PS Boro have ballsed up in dramatic fashion for 2 seasons on the spin, imagine if Pearson had done that?

In 4-4-2, can't see beyond

Kasper

RDL      Wes      Zak      Konch

Knocky  James  King  Dyer

Nuge   Wood

If we try 3-5-2 (which I just can't see)

Kasper

Wes    Zak     Konch

RDL   James  Knocky   King   Dyer      

Wood  Nuge

Good test for us this. Most of the preseason friendlies have been against teams we can't learn much from in terms of our own ability. I reckon we'll take a point, and I'll be happy with that.

Kasper

Whitbread

Morgan

Moore

Dyer

King

James

Rdl

Knockaert

Wood

Nuge

Middlesboro are similar to us - not much transfer activity, started off very well last year, had a terrible post Christmas.

It's difficult to predict. Has Mowbray been able to lift the squad after such a poor run, have City fully got over the play off trauma? I'm going for a less than convincing 1 - 1  draw. Emnes for them in the first half, with a reply from James in the second.

3-5-2

Kasper

SSL

Morgan

Whitbread

RDL

Konch

King

James

Drinkwater

Wood

Nugent

I think he'll start Knockeart and Dyer on the bench in a 3-5-2 and we'll probably switch to 4-4-2 at some point. This is not the team I want but what I think he'll pick.

I would pick.

Kasper

Moore

Morgan

SSL

RDL

Bakayogo

King

James

Marshall

Knockeart

Wood

Jeff Schlupp - people's honest opinion of him?

He's got potential as a striker, he's certainly capable of making it at this level. His pace and power will always cause problems for defences at this level, and his finishing isn't too bad either.

He's incredibly raw at the moment, which given his age isn't surprising. He needs to improve his composure in front of goal and the general know how needed to make a Premier League front man, hopefully that will come with age and with first team football. We would be daft to let him go.

He's got potential as a striker, he's certainly capable of making it at this level. His pace and power will always cause problems for defences at this level, and his finishing isn't too bad either.

He's incredibly raw at the moment, which given his age isn't surprising. He needs to improve his composure in front of goal and the general know how needed to make a Premier League front man, hopefully that will come with age and with first team football. We would be daft to let him go.

100% summed it up.

I suppose it's inevitable that King is in everyone's line up ......not a lot of choice really unfortunately .

So nothing will change I fear, & we will struggle against the more physical ,uncompromising,lower table sides,with King ineffectual & missing as he was for most of last season ! Quite simply ,our midfield was not strong enough then & nothing convinces me this season will be any different !!! I'm just amazed & gutted that we haven't strengthend in this area .....it's the one huge piece missing of the essential spine that all successful teams have !!

Jeff Schlupp - people's honest opinion of him?

Rate him very highly as most people would probably know on this forum. Has all the attributes to be a top footballer, pace, power, strong, good movement, solid in the air and a pretty clever player.

A rough diamond.

Kasper

De Laet

Moore

Wes

Whitbread

Schlupp

James

King

Knockaert

Nugent

Wood

We need some creativity and some definite link between the midfielders and strikers in a 3-5-2, and I can't see this happening if we play Drinkwater instead of knockaert. It's too flat across the midfield, what Watford did brilliantly was that they worked between the lines and that's what we have to do. With King and James sitting, Knockaert will be able to get forward more and will have less responsibility.

Schlupp's energy and pace will be important in providing width down that left flank. Konchesky just doesn't have the energy for it. Bakayogo could play there too I'd guess, I just put schlupp there because I don't know if Baka is fit.

Torn between Moore and SSL at CB, Moore was more impressive against Monaco so I plumped for him.

1-1 draw.

Archived