Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Sharpe's Fox

Derby (A) Pre-Match Shenanigans

Be careful what you wish for.

Our away form last season was much worse than when under Pearson's first tenure. That season, the win at home, draw away did us well. I anticipate that's what Nige is looking at this time too.

There are many teams in the Championship this season that, if we go to their place with a focus on attacking, will dick us. The prudent man will look to be defensively tight and to hit on the break. 5-3-2, I think, enables this more.

Before Sunday I would have agreed with you. Yes, it's only one game but we were depressingly inept going forward and if we have any lofty ambitions, this needs to be addressed. Staying tight away from home and eeking out points is all very well providing we win our home matches but unless we take more risks we are gonna see a lot of points dropped at home too.

Our away form last season was much worse than when under Pearson's first tenure. That season, the win at home, draw away did us well. I anticipate that's what Nige is looking at this time too.

There are many teams in the Championship this season that, if we go to their place with a focus on attacking, will dick us. The prudent man will look to be defensively tight and to hit on the break. 5-3-2, I think, enables this more.

Makes sense to go 442 at home and 532 / 352 away from home?

We won 22 out of 46 away games in Pearson's first two seasons. It enabled us to win a divsion and claim a play-off place a year later.

We don't have to go gung-ho, similarly we don't have to sit back and grind out a draw. Go in between and try and win the game.

Exactly what I'd like to see mate.

We know that 4-4-2 at home usually reaps the rewards. We also know that 4-4-2 away from home, doesn't....

I'm glad we've looked to tighten up the midfield with the 5-3-2. But at home, we need to be more adventurous.

Last year we were a shambles in this match, and it was freezing.

Hopefully our performance, result and the weather will be improved this Saturday.

Spot on. Despite the play-off defeat, which was horrific, Derby away was the nadir of the season for me. If NP was to go, that was the day.

Exactly what I'd like to see mate.

We know that 4-4-2 at home usually reaps the rewards. We also know that 4-4-2 away from home, doesn't....

I'm glad we've looked to tighten up the midfield with the 5-3-2. But at home, we need to be more adventurous.

I was really surprised big Nige went 532 at home for the Leeds game. So negative to play that formation at home

Stick with the same side (except Schlupp for Konch), stick with 5-3-2 and grind out a bore draw.

I'm more than happy to do that away from home.

At home, I want to see us playing more attractive football.

Winning at home, drawing away will see us into the play-offs I would suspect.

I disagree a lot Col. Just a personal thought of mine really but I can't stand setting up to draw. There are games, this one being an example, where a draw wouldn't be a disaster - but if we want top two then we've got to set up to win this kind of game.

I would go with that dan, right formation against Leeds, not the right players, the side you suggest is alot more positive and would create alot more.

For some mad reason I have brought tickets for the derby game, I just hope it's more entertaining.

I'd going attacking every game. Why hand the home side the initiative before we've kicked off?

Defo see where your coming from, 4-4-2 work at home last season, well for the best part, I would be happy with the home points return from last season this season, if we did better away last season we probably have been up now, go 5-3-2 away and try and pinch a win and be solid, 4-4-2 at home and go more attacking.

There were only two teams that achieved the win at home draw away (equivalent points) in the top two divisions

Manchester United

Manchester City

No one else in the top two divisions managed it

Kasper

Richie          Wes          Liam          Geoff

Andy            Danny       Matty         Anthony

Jamie         Chis                      

I think Derby could do quite well this season, although when I watched them play Blackburn on Sky they didn't seem too impressive.

Think both teams will be a little cautious to begin with, however; I'm still not convinced we can be a proper attacking threat playing 3-5-2 just yet.

I'd happily take a point, but would love a repeat of my last visit there when Trevor Benjamin scored a second half winner for us!

I'd go with this:

Schmeichel

Moore - Morgan - Whitbread

De Laet - James - King - Schlupp

Knockeart

Wood - Vardy

This but I don't think it will be that.  Probably Drinkwater for Tony and Konch for Schlupp I would have thought.  That Nigel brought on Dyer ahead of Jeff and put Konch LCB says a lot I think. I also fancy Marshall in the middle. He did well there for preseason.

Schmeichel

Moore - Morgan - Miquel

De Laet - James - King - Schlupp

Knockaert

Nugent - Vardy

These are shit, get it on the deck and go at the cvnts.

schlupps wasted in that position imo, he wont be able to get into the box enough, id put dyer out there instead.

Schmeichel

Moore

Morgan

Konchesky

De Laet

King

Drinkwater

Schlupp

Knockaert

Marshall

Wood

3-4-2-1

Plenty of width, plenty of creativity in Tony and Marshall. Pace in abundance from Schlupp and De Laet. Konchesky and Moore are both more than capable at covering the full back position and are good enough centrally. Get the ball down and play some bastard football Leicester.

3-4-2-1

Kasper

Moore

Morgan

Miquel

RDL

King

James

Schlupp

Knockaert

Marshall

Wood

Schmeichel

Moore

Morgan

Konchesky

De Laet

King

Drinkwater

Schlupp

Knockaert

Marshall

Wood

3-4-2-1

Plenty of width, plenty of creativity in Tony and Marshall. Pace in abundance from Schlupp and De Laet. Konchesky and Moore are both more than capable at covering the full back position and are good enough centrally. Get the ball down and play some bastard football Leicester.

I didn't even see that before I posted...

-------------------------Schmeichel

---------- --- Moore - Morgan - Spanish kid

-- RDL. - --Konch

------- ------ -- James - Drinkwater -

------ -Tony-

- Nugent - Vardy-

Derby centre backs are big and slow, so nuge and vardy pace and movement will work better than wood

I choose the Spanish kid because whitbread is just to slow, mistake ridden and has shocking hoof ball attitude.

Schmeichel

Moore

Morgan

Miquel

De Laet

Schlupp

King

Drinkwater

Knockaert

Nugent

Wood

Subs: Logan, Konchesky, Whitbread, Dyer, James, Marshall, Vardy.

Chose Drinkwater over James, purely because I think he is looking well off the pace atm.

Fancy I sneaky 1-0 win here, IF we get the ball down and play as we all know we can, with the ball on the deck and Knockaert with the ball at his feet causing mayhem.

COYB!

Archived