Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Anthony Knockaert - the lone striker?

Anthony Knockaert has been tried out in a lone striker role - although no-one is sure whether Leicester City managericon1.png Nigel Pearson will be happy with the decision.

Development coach Steve Beaglehole swopped his side around during the 1-1 draw with Liverpool in the Barclays Under-21 Premier League fixturelb_icon1.png earlier this week.

1. ​5259495.jpg

Leicester City's Anthony Knockaert - the lone striker

The Frenchman was pushed into the forward line and Knockaert responded to produce an excellent display.

Beaglehole believes Knockaert has plenty of strings to his bow other than just being a creative wide midfielder, although he was light-heartedly uncertain Pearson would thank him for the experiment.

“We were asking the wide playerslb_icon1.png to do an awful lot of work and track back and double up with the full-backs, which takes an awful lot of doing,” said Beaglehole.

“We said to them if they fancy a rest to rotate it. Anthony took that on board in the first half and he looked good. He was holding the ball up and bringing people into the gamelb_icon1.png, so we said to him to keep doing that, but not to be always out there.

“I don’t know if Nigel will have a go at us for doing that, and he may well do, but it is something that I thought worked well.

“Their two centre backs, who have playedlb_icon1.png in the first team, were both strong, and good in the air, but when we have Tom Hopper up there we think everything has to go up in the air. We went a bit long.

“When you get a smaller person down the middle that stops and we played into feet. That was probably the way round, into feet, although the goal came from a cross and a good header from Tom.

“It is a case of players moving out of position and others filling in, while keeping that solid base.”

Read more: http://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/Leicester-City-s-Anthony-Knockaert-lone-striker/story-19757410-detail/story.html#ixzz2e20tzuEh 

Follow us: @thisisleics on Twitter | thisisleicestershire on Facebook

Can't say i noticed he was alone but he was certainly down the middle a lot.

I think he may have been a lone one behind a lone one of Tom Hopper during that game. Not sure if we went 4-4-1-1 or 4-2-3-1 or 4-3-1-2 though. I sometimes think people get a bit hung up on formations. Was he a false 9 or a number 10? Dunno.

He played the classic number 10 in France. Think Oscar for Chelsea.

His actual position.

Dickov22 is spot on. Knockaert can be frustrating but if we make him our playmaker, we will be a very strong side. He's one of the most naturally gifted players I've seen at Leicester in a long time.

Technically gifted, one of the who can make something out of nothing, and I feel he needs to play behind the striker. He needs a consistent run in the side as well, but not automatically over other players.

I cannot see him fitting into a 352 system. I do feel he gives the ball away a lot, and tries to beat too many players at times, but on the other hand, I feel we've got to accept that as he is that type of player.

Technically gifted, one of the who can make something out of nothing, and I feel he needs to play behind the striker. He needs a consistent run in the side as well, but not automatically over other players.

I cannot see him fitting into a 352 system. I do feel he gives the ball away a lot, and tries to beat too many players at times, but on the other hand, I feel we've got to accept that as he is that type of player.

Would it be completely mental to have a 3-5-2 with him as one of the 2? 

He can drop off as and when he wants and doesn't need to have any responsibility defensively at all with 3 central midfielders behind him.

Not reading anything into that. Jus where Beaglehole wanted to try him out. No way would Nigel try it. I wanna see Nuge Vards and Wood starting against Wigan. Still baffled why he changed it for Charlton. And still baffled at refs decisions.

this is a typical international break story, nothing actually in it.

at home I'd go for a midfield of

Hammond

King James/Drinkwater

Knockaert

away I'd play Knockaert behind a lone striker in a 4-2-3-1

I swear he couldn't be arsed to do anything so he swapped with hopper twice! Cant say he put in an *excellent display* as they write it there. He just kept giving up when he didn't get the ball and when he did he either fell over or gave it away! He didn't like it when jak mcourt told him to get up either.

I swear he couldn't be arsed to do anything so he swapped with hopper twice! Cant say he put in an *excellent display* as they write it there. He just kept giving up when he didn't get the ball and when he did he either fell over or gave it away! He didn't like it when jak mcourt told him to get up either.

I agree, although I cant work out why he is even playing for the kids in the first place.

As others have said, play him as CAM behind the two strikers. Preferably Vardy and Nugent for me - then we've lost our natural height at the top of the pitch, but hopefully won't resort to hoofball as much. Vardy and Nugent to keep defenders busy while Knockaert has room just behind to work his magic, and either link up with one of the strikers, or take a shot himself.

Archived