Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
hackneyfox

Dyer wants another contract

Give it to Dyer.

As for the speed and age discussion, why not give him the benefit of the doubt and acknowledge the fact that even he can still improve other aspects of his game, as well.

Because he hasn't improved the other aspects of his game in the previous 13 years or so of his professional career?

At times I think he is the most under valued player we have offers us that strength and pace in midfield we lack on so many occasions glad he didn't leave when Sven let him rot away at the bottom of the pecking order

It is a tricky one this.

Don't get me wrong, I love the bloke to bits. He always puts in 100% effort, absolutely loves the club, has a great relationship with the fans and his pace terrifies defenders. On his day, the bloke is utterly unplayable and an asset to any team. Dyer must be an absolute nuisance to mark on these days, very few full-backs have the legs to catch him on full flight.

The only problem I personally have is his inconsistency. As unplayable as he is on his day, he can be very poor on his off days owing to his decision making and limited technical ability. This is what makes him frustrating, because he looks good enough to tear some EPL teams apart on form and scarcely good enough for League One on bad days. The difference is night and day.

We would definitely need some of his traits if promoted; namely workrate, battling, a refusal to let heads drop and pace. The problem is that some of his less attractive traits such as inconsistency, a disappointing first touch and lack of footballing nous could damage us in the top tier. On sentimental reasons and indeed some pragmatic reasons, I'd offer him a contract extension regardless of divisional status. On some other pragmatic reasons, if a little harsh, I'd be forced to say goodbye to him if we were promoted.

He's certainly worth another year in the Championship though, he will earn us far more points than he costs us in this division.

He's certainly worth another year in the Championship though, he will earn us far more points than he costs us in this division.

I think this is the salient point with Lloyd, for all his lack of ability, he gets goals and assists, often in games where no-one else can find a way through, and even when he's not playing well or is negated he still does his dirty work.

Anybody who's worrying about his "pace going" in his twilight years is clinically insane. The man is getting faster and faster. If he's still playing for us when he's 40, all we'll be able to see is a blue blur at this rate.

That's all I can see now!

Sign. Him. Up.

All wingers are inconsistent, it's the nature if their game. Beating men and putting in a cross. The defender is bound will get the better of you sometimes. He was the most composed I've ever seen him today.

I tthink it was MattP who said he could see him in front of the back four. He showed that quality today.

I'm sorry mate but that last line just isn't true. His technique is not very good at all. How many times have you seen him stand on the wing and just whip the ball into the box? Very rarely because he's just not capable of it. He beats his man with pace, and once that is no longer possible then I don't see him being much use. Also, his right foot is just for standing really. As for his goals, well he's averaging 3 in the championship per season, and it should be more given how often he finds himself in decent positions.

I love Lloyd to bits and I don't like to criticise him because he can absolutely terrorise defences "on his day", but his game is built on his pace and he will struggle when (not if, it's human nature to be weaker physically as we age) it goes.

3 a season for a winger is decent, yet not spectacular. He scored good goals and at vital times if you look over the years. Never does he get the 4th or 5th in a rout.. big moments and game winning points. Hes definetly worth a contract and is good enough for the Premier League. He would score a goal or 2 im sure of it and to the 'only got pace' opinion, he has the highest pass rate of all our players and saturdays game changing assist for Nugents first was class.

So under rated and un appreciated. Top player, top guy and quite possibly our best signing since 2000.

3 a season for a winger is decent, yet not spectacular. He scored good goals and at vital times if you look over the years. Never does he get the 4th or 5th in a rout.. big moments and game winning points. Hes definetly worth a contract and is good enough for the Premier League. He would score a goal or 2 im sure of it and to the 'only got pace' opinion, he has the highest pass rate of all our players and saturdays game changing assist for Nugents first was class.

So under rated and un appreciated. Top player, top guy and quite possibly our best signing since 2000.

:blink: You see it's comments like this that make it hard for me to bite my tongue. I'd love to just let the praise for him slide as he is a really likeable player.

But come on, let's get real here. 75% of the time he's just awful.

I really don't want to give him a load of stick but people have got to realise what he is. A hard-working, occasionally effective winger who lacks the quality to be a top Championship player.

If we can offer him a contract on the cheap in the Championship fair enough, but if we went up there's no way he should be playing at that level.

Big Dyer fan, love everything about him! Doesn't moan just gets on with it, plays when needed and loves LCFC! I think he certainly deserves another contract, i'm not saying he's always going to be a regular starter but he is very good to have around and can change games especially with his pace

:blink: You see it's comments like this that make it hard for me to bite my tongue. I'd love to just let the praise for him slide as he is a really likeable player.

I really don't want to give him a load of stick but people have got to realise what he is. A hard-working, occasionally effective winger who lacks the quality to be a top Championship player.

If we can offer him a contract on the cheap in the Championship fair enough, but if we went up there's no way he should be playing at that level.

Spot on

This is what I dont understand..A comment that suggests its a FACT. Its your opinion and fair enough, but IMO he is a class player and could do a job in the prem. Too many people just stick with the same rubbish that everyone else says and dont watch things carefully..he has got quality and although his end product is poor at times, name 1 winger who is consistent? and no the steriotype 'tom ince' is not consistent, hes looked average a few times Ive watched him.

Wing is the hardest position to be consistent in...centre mid if you have an off game just stick a few passes together and you were 'average'..centre back the same 'just typical Morgan' I.E solid but nothing spectacular..unless he makes a massive error its all fine.

With wingers(not just Dyer) its incredibly hard position to play consistently well in...you will have quiet games. Just plainly because if your team isnt doing as well you will be nullified and theres not much you can do to influence the game.

Ive played wing and 'the number 10 role' at county level and I got 6 in 16 on the wing but 11 in 10 in the 'number 10 role'. I could influence the game and never had a quiet game, on the wing though if the team isnt playing well theres very little you can do. Its a horrible 'graveyard' position and an easy skapegoat.

Cut a long story short, Dyer is a good player and under rated. He has scored 2 already this season and got 3 or 4 assists..top stats at Championship level for a winger.

This is what I dont understand..A comment that suggests its a FACT. Its your opinion and fair enough, but IMO he is a class player and could do a job in the prem. Too many people just stick with the same rubbish that everyone else says and dont watch things carefully..he has got quality and although his end product is poor at times, name 1 winger who is consistent? and no the steriotype 'tom ince' is not consistent, hes looked average a few times Ive watched him.

Wing is the hardest position to be consistent in...centre mid if you have an off game just stick a few passes together and you were 'average'..centre back the same 'just typical Morgan' I.E solid but nothing spectacular..unless he makes a massive error its all fine.

With wingers(not just Dyer) its incredibly hard position to play consistently well in...you will have quiet games. Just plainly because if your team isnt doing as well you will be nullified and theres not much you can do to influence the game.

Ive played wing and 'the number 10 role' at county level and I got 6 in 16 on the wing but 11 in 10 in the 'number 10 role'. I could influence the game and never had a quiet game, on the wing though if the team isnt playing well theres very little you can do. Its a horrible 'graveyard' position and an easy skapegoat.

Cut a long story short, Dyer is a good player and under rated. He has scored 2 already this season and got 3 or 4 assists..top stats at Championship level for a winger.

Amen.

He set up Nugent's goal on Saturday also, but no one seems to mention that.

I'd have to agree. Having been forced to play on the wing most of the time as I'm left footed it's certainly a position where a game can pass you by so easily. If your team is off the pace or out of form it's very hard to have a major influence on the game. To be honest, Dyer ended up drifting everywhere on Saturday and did it very well. It seems, according to the stats, that he has the best ball retention so far in our team this year. That's something I was not expecting whatsoever but having seen him play that role on Saturday I can see how it could be done.

While I do rate him I don't really think he is good enough for the prem. Maybe if he was a bit younger and had a bit more improvement in him then he could make the cut. However, for me he is the championship personified - works hard but is inconsistent with flashes of brilliance and game changing moments.

It is valuable these days to have people who genuinely want to play for the club and in Dyer we have someone who feels that way and is willing to sit on the bench even if it means he can stay here.

Top professional, good player and a game changer on his day.

I'd have to agree. Having been forced to play on the wing most of the time as I'm left footed it's certainly a position where a game can pass you by so easily. If your team is off the pace or out of form it's very hard to have a major influence on the game. To be honest, Dyer ended up drifting everywhere on Saturday and did it very well. It seems, according to the stats, that he has the best ball retention so far in our team this year. That's something I was not expecting whatsoever but having seen him play that role on Saturday I can see how it could be done.

While I do rate him I don't really think he is good enough for the prem. Maybe if he was a bit younger and had a bit more improvement in him then he could make the cut. However, for me he is the championship personified - works hard but is inconsistent with flashes of brilliance and game changing moments.

It is valuable these days to have people who genuinely want to play for the club and in Dyer we have someone who feels that way and is willing to sit on the bench even if it means he can stay here.

Top professional, good player and a game changer on his day.

Good post I agree. Id say he isnt 'steriotypically' good enough for the prem, but if we got there Id definetly keep him because I think he could score a couple here and there and be useful for us. Much worse players have played in the Premier League IMO.

Its good to hear from someone whoes played the position to understand what its really like. This is why wingers are usually slated most, when in reality when you have a poor performance its usually because you have a weaker middle of the park.

Im suprised Knocky doesnt get more stick but then again when you score absolute wonder goals like the one vs Derby who can say anything?

Good post I agree. Id say he isnt 'steriotypically' good enough for the prem, but if we got there Id definetly keep him because I think he could score a couple here and there and be useful for us. Much worse players have played in the Premier League IMO.

Its good to hear from someone whoes played the position to understand what its really like. This is why wingers are usually slated most, when in reality when you have a poor performance its usually because you have a weaker middle of the park.

Im suprised Knocky doesnt get more stick but then again when you score absolute wonder goals like the one vs Derby who can say anything?

Thing is with Knocky is he is by far the most talented player we have and the one capable of changing a game the most. Because he floats around so much we lose some defending on his side of the pitch. Although, his work rate has much improved. Yet, when thinking about it it needed to because it means he can get back from wherever he is on the pitch to defend the right side. 

Dyer is nowhere near as talented or technically gifted but Dyer can be a direct and potent influence on the game, while also finding it difficult when we have a bad game as he rarely then gets the ball. Knocky, on the other hand, then looks to get himself in the game. He goes to find the ball and get it off people, whereas I'd argue that, bar the Barnsley game, Lloyd has rarely done this. Maybe he is learning from Knocky? I just don't know why he decided to float around on Saturday but it seemed to work and adds a string to his bow.

Archived