Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Finnegan

FAO Foxes Trust / Leicester Lass / anyone with a brain for business.

It is discussed in the meetings quite often to be honest, and the stock answer that the club use is that our prices are competitive with other teams in the division. It doesn't help that when the BBC do their price of football survey etc. that fans fixtures are taken into account, excluding those fixtures there's not many clubs who'd be charging anywhere near what we do for games.

The fall in attendances last season was brought up a couple of meetings ago and again the club representatives say it was a pattern across the whole division, with most clubs seeing a couple of thousand shaved off their home attendances. They also had the Sky excuse last season too.

Our ST figures are up on last season, yet our attendances have been nothing short of terrible this season. We have a sub-committee meeting on Monday and I'll be bringing up the issue of cheap student tickets, so I imagine ticket prices in general will be discussed too.

Ah so instead of thinking 'Leicester City's crowds are dropping, let's try and change that because it will just be better for everyone'.

They say 'So? So? It's Sky's fault! Don't blame us! Everybody else is doing it. They did it first! If Peterborough's crowds are dropping why is ours dropping a big deal? We're not doing anything until someone else does'. Like children.

Nothing short of what I'd expect from these spineless, out of touch cretins. They really are pathetic.

I think the relevant economic theory is that total revenue is maximised when price elasticity of demand is |1|.

Basically there comes a point where increasing the price of tickets causes enough people to stop attending that even with the increased revenue from sold tickets, the club makes less money. This the point of maximum revenue.

CLAziEV.png

What a legend. LeicesterLass make sure you take that screenshot along to the next meeting with you, would be interesting to hear what they have to say about that! Not only that but more bums on seats means more merchandise, food and drink sold. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to work that out. Not to mention the long term affect this would have on returning fans.

It would be an idea to trial it for one season and then see the results, fair enough if it doesn't work but at least give it a go!

I'm just wondering what people think would be a fair price.

let's face it £15 for the last 16 round of a major cup competition against top flight opposition is really pretty good value.

A season ticket can be purchased for around £29 a month and that is interest free. That is very good value per game.

There is really only one way to get the sort of prices suggested by some on here and that is by dramatically reducing costs. This can only be done by cutting the wages of players. We could probably charge around £10 a ticket if we paid our players say around 2k per week. Would that work? Of course not. Football has been spoilt completely by the premier league. It has raised wages to riduculous amounts and caused an uneven spread of money throughout the game and a mad chase for glory by sides in the lower leagues funded by higher prices and spiralling debt. A £5 ticket in 1982 ought to cost around £15 in today's money. The fact that it doesn't shows the cost of running a football club has risen faster than infaltion. Until the premier league dies and Sky sod off the cost of football for the ordinary fan will just continue to go up along with the crazy salaries of the players.

What a legend. LeicesterLass make sure you take that screenshot along to the next meeting with you, would be interesting to hear what they have to say about that! Not only that but more bums on seats means more merchandise, food and drink sold. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to work that out. Not to mention the long term affect this would have on returning fans.

Just because you could earn the same money selling 31,000 tickets @ £14.73 doesn't mean we would sell 31,000 tickets at that price.

You shouldnt have to skank the club off money in order to make game though. That just confirms the normal prices are too high.

Long term reductions should be made and much more widely publicized

I agree you shouldn't have to rip the club off but you are missing my point

the club must have some sort of target to meet each game to cover costs

All my suggestion was if shortchanging was not possible to occur and people had to pay the correct prices therefore creating more income would the tickets still be so expensive

Don't get me wrong I'm not defending the clubs prices I think myself that they are expensive I'm just merely offering a suggestion

Considering the owners are a marketing giant, they don't seem to do very well with our club. I can think of a few things that would increase revenue.

Increase non-match day revenue, host more events and even stump up to renovate the ground do it can hold pop concerts, it would be worth it in the long run.

More bums on seats = more merchandise, confectionary and programs sold.

Put shirts on sale as soon as the season finishes, more would get sold as people want them to wear on their holidays, but usually they're put on sale just before the start of the season.

Memberships. Just sort it out. They should be on sale pre-season too, with better benefits.

Just my two cents.

Just because you could earn the same money selling 31,000 tickets @ £14.73 doesn't mean we would sell 31,000 tickets at that price.

And I am not suggesting we would, but I reckon we could get around 25k if we sold them at £18 a ticket, and even take a loss for the good of the fans and sell them all at £15 a game.

And I am not suggesting we would, but I reckon we could get around 25k if we sold them at £18 a ticket, and even take a loss for the good of the fans and sell them all at £15 a game.

Isn't taking a loss what the owners are already doing each season?

Without knowing what the age population of the season ticket holders is it's prett difficult to calculate where a new target age might be.

If for example the population of 50 - 60 year olds attending is relatively small, you could drop the senior age to say 60. I'm not saying that's the target but some demographic surveys would help.

I'm sure the marketing bods at Leicester are on to that though.

But not all tickets are the same price. Some parts of the ground are dearer than others, there are concessions and ST holders pay a lower price per game.

All football clubs consider these things, they have experienced businessmen crunching the numbers. They may not get it spot on everytime but they're probably not far off when it comes to maximising profit by the pricing of the seats.

I don't think they can be far off when you compare us with clubs of similar fanbases. Although I personally find football overpriced and rarely actually go, I don't expect the club to make a loss just to get people in, especially now FPP is in place.

Like other posters on this thread I think this comes down to two key things - all football tickets are over priced so as far as the business people at the club are concerned prices are comparative with other clubs. The second thing is the perceived need to make sure season ticket holders get the best deal. Now I was a season ticket holder for years so I appreciate they are the lifeblood of the club and should be given special benefits to reflect this eg away ticket priority etc.

But...I think there will always be a finite number of fans who are able to be season ticket holders and lots of potential for bigger attendances from those who cannot for whatever reason have a season ticket. I can't as I have a young family, I regularly bring my older child to the KP but he's not old enough for night games and sometimes his own football club commitments clash with city and I feel he should put playing football above watching it at his age. My youngest isn't old enough to come yet which presents issues at times too. All this would mean I miss too many games for a season ticket to be viable.

Would I make it to more games if pricing was better? Yes. I make quite a lot of games but would definitely make more. And I don't want to sit in a corner in the cheapest seats away from the atmosphere with a crap view. And I don't want to sit in the family stand even if my child is free. I want to choose where I sit (usually in K block) and pay a fair price. The forest match is a case in point, obviously must be there(!) but is costing so much to sit in K block!

How many of you with season tickets currently would actually give them up in protest if there were more fans fixtures and pricing offers for individual matches aimed at increasing attendance?

A couple of points - we're not competing with other clubs in this division for fans so it's irrelevant and if by their own admission most clubs have lost a 1000 then doesn't that tell them they're all charging too much

Yeah, what are the owners saying, that if Forest were cheaper our fans would go there, or if we were cheaper, we'd nick fans off Forest? That's not how it works.

I don't understand why the club doesn't try more ways to get bums on seats. Why not limited offers of say, 500 adult £10 and 500 under 18 £5? Buy one get one free? Buy ten tickets and get a kit half price? Two adults full price and two under 18 free? Buy your season ticket for five years and get a season ticket for free? Just ideas of course so feel free to shoot me down!

The problem with all of these calculations is season ticket holders, they will bring down the average cost for tickets but aren't a group that would be affected by price changes.

If you want to analyse the impact of a price drop for this season you are looking at the effect on a small group of casual fans that pay £30 a time. 

How would people feel about a rise in season ticket prices but a drop in on the gate prices? I know that Stu said in another thread he would happily pay more for his season ticket if it meant lower prices overall and fuller grounds.

What about free ticket give aways such as Derby have done, target students or communities that don't normally go to football?

Any new pricing strategy will have to be implemented for next season due to the static nature of season tickets and any price changes have to be off set some how, but then we may get promoted this season so it will all be irrelevant.

See, stuff like that I don't understand. Are there really 40000 regular Leicester fans in close proximity that can afford to go?

How long would we have to sell it out for for an expansion to be profitable? What would the loss be in maintenance if we were relegated?

Is the priority just having a bigger, flashier club to sell on?

Surely you wait for five or six years of guaranteed prem football and sellouts first?

don't worry mate, Owners telling fans what they would like to hear... they are business minded and no way would they do that... if they did I would be worried for the sake of our football club, any team whose owners expand a stadium which we already cannot sell out, by another 8,000 seats straight after promotion are reckless... Manderic was wise in that forte, "We will expand once Leicester city is a top 8 club" Thats realistic.... (if we cannot sell out 32,500 at £25-£30 per ticket, How will we sell out 40,000+ at premiership prices! Especially as we will be expected to be down near the relgation battle)

Average ticket prices are now falling, By an average of about 40p which is a step in the right direction

however this is on the back of previously the cheapest ticket prices have risen by 11%, 4x the rate of inflation...

the reason I think the prices will start to come down is the average attendances across the football league have dropped by about 5% since the rises.. 

at the end of the day I think it is down to owners/financial advisors, The price of tickets are determined by them, 

If you have wealthy owners who are loyal to the club and its fans, they will be cheaper. 

For example, the most expensive club in the world, Man city, the owners have spent over £1,000,000,000 since they took over, Yet have the cheapest adult season ticket in the premiership at £299

It's hard to put a finger on why the reason is, Every club has their own "EXCUSES" for putting prices up, 

I think the bottom line is just greed.

for example... 32,500 x £20 (which is VERY unlikely that we would even sell out at those prices) would equate to £650,000

However 23,000 x £30... is £690,000  :thumbup:

the only difference is that we would sell more pies/shirts.. 

If my leicester experiences are anything to go by, They wouldnt sell that many more pies/shirts anyway! 

you spent all of half time in a queue and have to abort mission! Spent over 35 minutes in a queue at the club shop last week... got into the ground 3 minutes before kick off 

The club will have a model which they use to set ticket prices, based on all the information they have, and no doubt modelling a number of scenarios around getting more bums on seats.  The question is whether they have thought of starting again with a blank sheet of paper, assessing the best overall pricing model.  Maybe, maybe not.  

Where is he getting £21 from as well.

An adult ticket in the East Stand is £28. For a gold match.

That's not an average ticket though, is it? That's an adult ticket for the east stand for a gold match. I don't know what our average ticket price is so I guessed at £21 which is probably about right. It doesn't make a lot of difference anyway as the point is to show the difference in attendances required to match current revenue at various reductions in ticket price.

I imagine they have a medium term goal of getting to the Premier League and when that happens they know they'll be able to sell out the ground.

At that point they'll want to charge £40 a ticket and that only seems reasonable if you've been been charging £30 the season before, not £20.

It's a business and they're investing. I'm sure if they thought they'd never get out of this division then they may take another look at prices, attendance, as well as players pay

Archived