Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

HELP is at hand for General PC queries, not Foxestalk ones

Nothing complicated.

Knackered my laptop. Use it for nothing more than browsing, watching iplayer occasionally, skyping family in New York.

Chromebook/SSD a good idea? Really have no clue myself and cba even trying to understand.

Don't need to be blinded by science, a short answer would be fine.

4 hours ago, Max Wall said:

Nothing complicated.

Knackered my laptop. Use it for nothing more than browsing, watching iplayer occasionally, skyping family in New York.

Chromebook/SSD a good idea? Really have no clue myself and cba even trying to understand.

Don't need to be blinded by science, a short answer would be fine.

So you dont save anything onto your computer..no pictures, movies, songs or anything? You dont make any word documents etc?

If you dont save anything and dont really create anything, then a chromebook is fine in my experience

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, ozleicester said:

So you dont save anything onto your computer..no pictures, movies, songs or anything? You dont make any word documents etc?

If you dont save anything and dont really create anything, then a chromebook is fine in my experience

Thanks, I appreciate the reply.

I do save some pictures and very occasionally a document. Is this still possible with a chromebook? If not, it's not particularly important to me, so I guess your answer would still apply.

12 minutes ago, Max Wall said:

Thanks, I appreciate the reply.

I do save some pictures and very occasionally a document. Is this still possible with a chromebook? If not, it's not particularly important to me, so I guess your answer would still apply.

I bought my son a chrome book for his last year of school and for college. its slow as shit but fine for what he needed.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, ozleicester said:

Sorta kinda true...

Chromebooks are designed with internet connectivity and cloud storage in mind, so whilst you can create documents etc, the design intention is for them not to be stored on the Chromebook itself. 

That said,  Chromebooks have a small amount of local storage available and (some?) can use USB drives/sticks and SD cards.

IMHO, Chromebooks have their place and their uses but you have to be very sure they suit your intended purposes. I thought for a while about buying one as it would have worked for me for maybe 90% of my uses but that 10% would have required me to have had another laptop - so it didn't make sense for me. I ended up buying a refurbished Thinkpad.

• Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, Beliall said:

I bought my son a chrome book for his last year of school and for college. its slow as shit but fine for what he needed.

Ah, that's where my concern lay slightly. Not overly keen on 'slow as shit'. Thanks for the reply.

32 minutes ago, CarbonVirtine said:

Sorta kinda true...

Chromebooks are designed with internet connectivity and cloud storage in mind, so whilst you can create documents etc, the design intention is for them not to be stored on the Chromebook itself. 

That said,  Chromebooks have a small amount of local storage available and (some?) can use USB drives/sticks and SD cards.

IMHO, Chromebooks have their place and their uses but you have to be very sure they suit your intended purposes. I thought for a while about buying one as it would have worked for me for maybe 90% of my uses but that 10% would have required me to have had another laptop - so it didn't make sense for me. I ended up buying a refurbished Thinkpad.

Thanks for the reply.

I reckon it will be fine for me. It's unlikely I would need to save a lot of documents and, if I can save photos on a USB, that would work fine. Just need to ensure I buy one with USB/SD facility.

Question answered for me. Thanks

• 1 month later...

My PC won't power up (after a thunderstorm) and I suspect the PSU got fried. I connected the PSU's 24 pin motherboard connector to a tester and it shows no voltage  (LL)  on 12V2. It's good on 12V1, with an in-tolerance PG.  The PSU has no auxiliary power connector. When I connect the SATA CD or HD connector, the tester is still showing LL on the 12V2. Can someone confirm that's a borked PSU?

• 4 weeks later...

OK to cut a long story short, I am now the proud "owner" of an iMac computer. It looks very nice of course but I have this feeling I don't really know what I'm doing with it having never used an Apple computer before.

Any tips, help or other useful knowledge much appreciated....

Ok, let's try this one....

I repaired my PC (new PSU and motherboard) and now I have to activate windows 10 with Microsoft. This is where I have become thoroughly confused by the (mis)information that abounds.

Some history: the PC was purchased from Dell, running Windows 7, on an OEM licence. I did the free upgrade to Win10 in 2016 and all was fine. I understand that by replacing the motherboard, the Win 7 OEM product licence is no longer usable.... BUT what licence to buy to replace it?

I'm not going to pay the amount that's wanted for a full licence as I'd don't need a Windows machine, so am quite prepared to wipe it and put a linux flavour on it.  But if I can keep a Win10 machine then I'd kinda like to.

I can see Win 10 OEM licences online for sod all... but are they going to work? And are they legit?

Edited by FoxNotFox

16 minutes ago, FoxNotFox said:

I repaired my PC (new PSU and motherboard) and now I have to activate windows 10 with Microsoft. This is where I have become thoroughly confused by the (mis)information that abounds.

Some history: the PC was purchased from Dell, running Windows 7, on an OEM licence. I did the free upgrade to Win10 in 2016 and all was fine. I understand that by replacing the motherboard, the Win 7 OEM product licence is no longer usable.... BUT what licence to buy to replace it?

I'm not going to pay the amount that's wanted for a full licence as I'd don't need a Windows machine, so am quite prepared to wipe it and put a linux flavour on it.  But if I can keep a Win10 machine then I'd kinda like to.

I can see Win 10 OEM licences online for sod all... but are they going to work? And are they legit?

The oem licence died with the mobo as you state, there are ways around it as you seem to know but if you want "legit" then you have to pay.

On 12/09/2018 at 09:13, stripeyfox said:

OK to cut a long story short, I am now the proud "owner" of an iMac computer. It looks very nice of course but I have this feeling I don't really know what I'm doing with it having never used an Apple computer before.

Any tips, help or other useful knowledge much appreciated....

First thing I did on both of my Mac computers was to install Windows via Boot Camp... lol

11 hours ago, FoxNotFox said:

Not sure what an OEM licence is but When I changed the hard drive when it died on my laptop I downloaded windows 10 installation programme from the official windows site using my windows 7 key that had been upgraded to windows 10 that was on a label underneath the laptop and then installed it on the new hard drive 

32 minutes ago, stripeyfox said:

Yeah I've heard people do this, but what is the advantage? 

Personally I love the Apple hardware design and durability, but really didn't get on with the Mac operating system, lots of crashes and file/program incompatibility.

Best of both worlds - Windows software on Apple hardware, with the option to boot into Mac OS should the (rare) need to use Apple-exclusive software arise.

49 minutes ago, jammie82uk said:

Not sure what an OEM licence is but When I changed the hard drive when it died on my laptop I downloaded windows 10 installation programme from the official windows site using my windows 7 key that had been upgraded to windows 10 that was on a label underneath the laptop and then installed it on the new hard drive 

A hard drive is not a motherboard though.

58 minutes ago, stripeyfox said:

Yeah I've heard people do this, but what is the advantage? 

I have an iMac and it's 9 years old, never had a major crash or virus and with 'Time Machine and an external drive I am safe from serious issues.

It took me a while to get used to the file system but I persevered and would never go back to Windows. Mac is so intuitive once you are used to it.

I do have a VMWare virtual machine for running Windows apps but between it and Windows it would often hang up. I stopped using it and for the odd Windows app,s I use an old laptop.

Stick with it, you'll find after a while, it's the best. 

2 hours ago, red5 said:

A hard drive is not a motherboard though.

Oh Of course how stupid of me Thanks for clearing that up

i won’t try to be helpful next time 

i just thought that when it says it need activation if there was a code on the label like on every pc and laptop I’ve seen that they could enter it like I did to register it again 

Edited by jammie82uk

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

More of a music/sound related issue really

Got an old 80s/90s hi-fi I use as an amp for my PC, it's a Sony LBT-D607 and have had it around for about 10 years. Out of nowhere though the wheel which controls the volume is flashing red when usually it's solid and there's no sound coming out. Digging into it the closest info I could find online is that Yamaha stereos do the same when they're set onto mute but I can't find a mute function in the manual, nor on the remote or on the amp deck. It shows sound going through it on the little visualiser screen and all the settings and stuff seem to be behaving themselves it's just a flashing volume wheel & no sound

• 1 month later...
19 hours ago, FilbertFrog said:

i3 / i5

4gb RAM / 8gb RAM 

what does these variations mean 

i5 and 8gb RAM Your looking at 450+

i3 and 4gb RAM your looking at 300+ 

I want somthing fast and good for gaming , any advice please ? 

i3 & i5 are the types of Intel CPU's - i5 being the faster of the 2. (i7 faster than both)

RAM is memory and the more RAM you have the speedier your PC or Laptop will be. 

If you are looking to use the PC/Laptop for gaming you really need to be looking into the highest spec you can afford. i5 & 8gb RAM would be, by far the better option.

If you see any you are interested in, feel free to post on here or PM and i can tell you if they are any good and value for money.

Also, depends on what game you want to play as some will run faster with a better CPU and others with favour a better GFX card.  

5 hours ago, Suzie the Fox said:

i3 & i5 are the types of Intel CPU's - i5 being the faster of the 2. (i7 faster than both)

RAM is memory and the more RAM you have the speedier your PC or Laptop will be. 

If you are looking to use the PC/Laptop for gaming you really need to be looking into the highest spec you can afford. i5 & 8gb RAM would be, by far the better option.

If you see any you are interested in, feel free to post on here or PM and i can tell you if they are any good and value for money.

Also, depends on what game you want to play as some will run faster with a better CPU and others with favour a better GFX card.  

Thank you so much , I’ll post a link and maybe you can look it’s a gift for my daughter she plays sims and homework etc ....