Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

HELP is at hand for General PC queries, not Foxestalk ones

10 minutes ago, FilbertFrog said:

8 minutes ago, FilbertFrog said:

Both laptops have the exact same CPU and RAM which is good and should run Sims no problem.

The BIG difference between the 2 is the type and size of Hard drive (storage) The HP from Argus has much more storage and can hold alot more data. However the Dell laptop which will only hold about 25% as much data has the newer Solid state drive (SSD) which will read and write data much much faster. 

Basically you sacrifice speed for space, so its your preference. I personally would go for the Dell one as the difference in speed the SSD will offer is aLOT. Also if she does download loads of songs, photos and games etc and fills up the drive you can pick up an additional external drive for about £40 now days. 

Hope this has helped :D 

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Suzie the Fox said:

Both laptops have the exact same CPU and RAM which is good and should run Sims no problem.

The BIG difference between the 2 is the type and size of Hard drive (storage) The HP from Argus has much more storage and can hold alot more data. However the Dell laptop which will only hold about 25% as much data has the newer Solid state drive (SSD) which will read and write data much much faster. 

Basically you sacrifice speed for space, so its your preference. I personally would go for the Dell one as the difference in speed the SSD will offer is aLOT. Also if she does download loads of songs, photos and games etc and fills up the drive you can pick up an additional external drive for about £40 now days. 

Hope this has helped :D 

Wow , that’s amazing thank you so much 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hi guys,

got a problem with my macbook. 

Restared it last week because it didn’t seem to click properly, yet had no problems before.

Now it seems to be stuck in caps lock, so when I turn it on and try to log in I can’t enter the password since it’s in lowercase.

it also seems to load in safe mode, nothing on Google seems to give me an answer.

i’ve also tried cleaning under the shift and caps lock keys but hasn’t changed anything.

2 hours ago, Wymeswold fox said:

For some reason, I'm unable to play videos on my tablet device for a few days.

Not sure why as haven't changed any settings.

Any advice would be appreciated.

what happens when you try to play something.. any errors or messages etc? (Have you tried turning it off and on again?)

57 minutes ago, ozleicester said:

what happens when you try to play something.. any errors or messages etc? (Have you tried turning it off and on again?)

I press the middle arrow button (that you click on to enable the video to play, but the video doesn't start.

On 17/12/2018 at 12:11, DanNDH88 said:

Hi guys,

Restared it last week because it didn’t seem to click properly, yet had no problems before.

Now it seems to be stuck in caps lock, so when I turn it on and try to log in I can’t enter the password since it’s in lowercase.

it also seems to load in safe mode, nothing on Google seems to give me an answer.

i’ve also tried cleaning under the shift and caps lock keys but hasn’t changed anything.

If you have a USB keyboard lying around anywhere, it would be worth trying to log in with that so you can see if the issue is the software or the macbook keyboard.

On 17/12/2018 at 12:11, DanNDH88 said:

Hi guys,

hold down shift and enter your password, it will be in lower case.

thats all i can help with because i know **** all about mac OS

Edited by Beliall

• 3 weeks later...

Never worked in the end, took it to a mac repair place and they wanted about €400 to repair everything. Apparently the keyboard and disc needed replacing.

Just bought a new Lenovo Yoga 330 which is great for only €280. Made sense to buy a new one rather than spend more money repairing a laptop that's worth less than the repair costs. 

What's the best free antivirus software to use? I never had one with my mac....

1 hour ago, DanNDH88 said:

Never worked in the end, took it to a mac repair place and they wanted about €400 to repair everything. Apparently the keyboard and disc needed replacing.

Just bought a new Lenovo Yoga 330 which is great for only €280. Made sense to buy a new one rather than spend more money repairing a laptop that's worth less than the repair costs. 

What's the best free antivirus software to use? I never had one with my mac....

I like bit defender but they're all the same really. just try to get one with the least pop ups

• 2 months later...

My daughter wants to live stream her gaming over the internet. We have Virgin media and a full package with top range internet speeds that they provide, which is pretty good TBF. However, the home Wi-Fi seems to be too slow to accommodate the TV, PS4 and her streaming, which means she struggles to get any live streaming on-line. Our hub is in the living room and her gaming PC is in an upstairs bedroom. We've bought 2 range extenders that seem to do something, but she still struggles to maintain a stable connection with speeds that will allow her to live stream.

Any suggestions welcome.

11 hours ago, Parafox said:

My daughter wants to live stream her gaming over the internet. We have Virgin media and a full package with top range internet speeds that they provide, which is pretty good TBF. However, the home Wi-Fi seems to be too slow to accommodate the TV, PS4 and her streaming, which means she struggles to get any live streaming on-line. Our hub is in the living room and her gaming PC is in an upstairs bedroom. We've bought 2 range extenders that seem to do something, but she still struggles to maintain a stable connection with speeds that will allow her to live stream.

Any suggestions welcome.

Ethernet cable will eliminate any issues caused by wireless network, but Virgin upload bandwidth is pretty garbage compared to their download bandwidth which could also be contributing. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone know the best way to put a VPN on a Google Wifi mesh network?

Don’t want to put on all devices separately, but would like something that can sit in front of the router or between the router and the main google unit? 

Any ideas?

• 2 months later...

About a year ago I bought to my regret an Acer all in one PC C22.

I use Chrome as my browser and since day one it's been really slow to boot up and even when up and running Chrome keeps freezing even telling me my internet is down when I know it isn't as I'm getting 48 to 56 mbs.

I've removed some of the bloatware that Acer had installed and I'd now like to get rid of some of MS stuff.

Can anyone advise on what it's safe to remove without buggering up my PC. I'm hope this will speed up my PC  if it doesn't I'm sorely tempted to dump it.

Just to add I have very little in my startup list, Avast, realtek file and an MS SecurityHealth. I've tried reinstalling Chrome but nothing helps. MrsG is still running Vista on an old PC and hers is so much better than mine.

Help!

• 2 weeks later...
On 14/06/2019 at 19:32, davieG said:

About a year ago I bought to my regret an Acer all in one PC C22.

I use Chrome as my browser and since day one it's been really slow to boot up and even when up and running Chrome keeps freezing even telling me my internet is down when I know it isn't as I'm getting 48 to 56 mbs.

I've removed some of the bloatware that Acer had installed and I'd now like to get rid of some of MS stuff.

Can anyone advise on what it's safe to remove without buggering up my PC. I'm hope this will speed up my PC  if it doesn't I'm sorely tempted to dump it.

Just to add I have very little in my startup list, Avast, realtek file and an MS SecurityHealth. I've tried reinstalling Chrome but nothing helps. MrsG is still running Vista on an old PC and hers is so much better than mine.

Help!

Have you fixed this issue yet? 

If not i'm presuming you have windows 10 installed? If so type in the search feature, add and remove programs, click on the option which will give a list of all the software installed on the PC. Remove where applicable - perhaps the same as you did to get rid of the installed crap when you bought it?

If you want to keep certain software, but don't want it loading when you boot the PC, you just need to remove it from the start menu.  

With regards to Chrome this is a great little browser BUT its very RAM intense so depending how much RAM you have installed in your PC it can tend to be slow. An option to Chrome would be to use Firefox which will probably be much faster. (However Chrome doesnt load at boot start up so that should not be the reason for the PC being slow.)

9 minutes ago, Suzie the Fox said:

Have you fixed this issue yet? 

If not i'm presuming you have windows 10 installed? If so type in the search feature, add and remove programs, click on the option which will give a list of all the software installed on the PC. Remove where applicable - perhaps the same as you did to get rid of the installed crap when you bought it?

If you want to keep certain software, but don't want it loading when you boot the PC, you just need to remove it from the start menu.  

With regards to Chrome this is a great little browser BUT its very RAM intense so depending how much RAM you have installed in your PC it can tend to be slow. An option to Chrome would be to use Firefox which will probably be much faster. (However Chrome doesnt load at boot start up so that should not be the reason for the PC being slow.)

Hi thanks for the reply.

Yes Windows 10

Spec

PC.jpg.619c191ad781407ec2c0e3d05f05b698.jpg

Re add /remove my problem there is I don't know what can be removed without affecting the PC, I've looked online but all I can find is a general remove what you don't need. 

I have very little in my start up.

It's not just Chrome being slow and freezing even opening my files or viewing picture it takes a good deal of time in my view to open the respective programmes.

The PC is just slow.

1 hour ago, davieG said:

Hi thanks for the reply.

Yes Windows 10

Spec

PC.jpg.619c191ad781407ec2c0e3d05f05b698.jpg

Re add /remove my problem there is I don't know what can be removed without affecting the PC, I've looked online but all I can find is a general remove what you don't need. 

I have very little in my start up.

It's not just Chrome being slow and freezing even opening my files or viewing picture it takes a good deal of time in my view to open the respective programmes.

The PC is just slow.

Looking at the spec of your PC the installed memory RAM is quite small, especially running Windows 10 and this is where you are losing speed - Win10 is way more memory intense than previous versions. However on the plus side RAM for that PC will prob be DDI3 or 4 and will be relatively cheap to upgrade - you can probably double it too 8GB for around £30/£50 (if the motherboard will accept it) and will see a massive increase in speed, I can look into that if you are interested and talk you thru how to do it, its a very easy job - there are also videos on youtube on how to install RAM - its a 10mins max job.

With regards to the add/remove programmes, without knowing what is installed its very hard to say what is ok and whats not to remove. The safest but most tiresome option would be to google every programme name and see what it is, but general rule of thumb is if its to do with the OS then dont remove it. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Suzie the Fox said:

Looking at the spec of your PC the installed memory RAM is quite small, especially running Windows 10 and this is where you are losing speed - Win10 is way more memory intense than previous versions. However on the plus side RAM for that PC will prob be DDI3 or 4 and will be relatively cheap to upgrade - you can probably double it too 8GB for around £30/£50 (if the motherboard will accept it) and will see a massive increase in speed, I can look into that if you are interested and talk you thru how to do it, its a very easy job - there are also videos on youtube on how to install RAM - its a 10mins max job.

With regards to the add/remove programmes, without knowing what is installed its very hard to say what is ok and whats not to remove. The safest but most tiresome option would be to google every programme name and see what it is, but general rule of thumb is if its to do with the OS then dont remove it. 

I've upgrade pcs before but this is an all in one jobby so I'm not sure if it's possible..

I've done that to an extent but it's still difficult to decide.

Would this PC be any good for a someone, like my grandson to use for gaming?

On 24/06/2019 at 14:11, davieG said:

I've upgrade pcs before but this is an all in one jobby so I'm not sure if it's possible..

I've done that to an extent but it's still difficult to decide.

Would this PC be any good for a someone, like my grandson to use for gaming?

Couple of Google searches and I believe it's DDR4 RAM. 

Depends what games, it will have an on-board Graphics chip so it may play some games at low settings but it wouldn't play more of the high demanding games... things like Minecraft should be fine.

• Thanks 1

I've managed to improve it  by replacing Avast with Bitdefender as I'd read that Avast does slow pcs down and so it proves.

It's just about acceptable now but I wish I'd bought something better although in my defence I only use it for browsing and office type stuff and thought it would be good enough for that.

Hi folks,

Ive got a roku tv device and im trying to stream my phone to it.

Ive been able to connect and put my pics etc up... but i was wondering how to make it play something like Modbro through it... any suggestions gratefully accepted :)

My tablet device, when it's charging, has felt quite hot at the back of it recently.

Is that a sign that the life of the device is towards its end (as it hasn't happened before in the past)?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...