Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
IOWFOX

No Man's Sky

14 minutes ago, Beliall said:

Just ditch trinkets and stuff if you get full. Focus on valuable resources for reloading , and cash in selling rare minerals that you find. I sold a stack of 250 for 100,000cr. worth way more than GEKNIP at 11,000cr 

I know that's what I probably should do but I just know I'll sell some rare minerals and then next thing I'll need them to craft something haha

1 minute ago, stripeyfox said:

Yeah I've had that problem. I assume you can carry more as you progress through the game...

I know there are pod type things which give you upgrades to your exosuit and getting a bigger starship can help but the ships are so expensive 

Not that I'm raining on anyone's parade out there, but this game is being panned left, right and centre.

Metacritic user scores are never overly reliable but when the consensus tends to be the same and it averages 4.9 after one day it can't be too great.  One or two critic reviews beginning to appear also and say the same things.

It's all about Deus Ex at the end of the month...!  That'll be decent I am sure.

4 minutes ago, Legend_in_blue said:

Not that I'm raining on anyone's parade out there, but this game is being panned left, right and centre.

Metacritic user scores are never overly reliable but when the consensus tends to be the same and it averages 4.9 after one day it can't be too great.  One or two critic reviews beginning to appear also and say the same things.

It's all about Deus Ex at the end of the month...!  That'll be decent I am sure.

There not not overly reliable, they aren't worth the memory space they take up on the Internet, it's an indication of how many trolls were logged in on release day. Non of them have played enough to even have an opinion 

critic wise I think it will get a few knocks but still get a respectable score,  games are subjective. It ticks all the boxes for me. 

7 minutes ago, Legend_in_blue said:

Yeah not sure what to make of it. At the moment, I'm enjoying it. Sometimes reading reviews is the worst thing to do if you are enjoying it so I'll probably keep away.

The biggest single criticisms seem to be the lack of multiplayer and the repetition. Multiplayer doesn't bother me in the slightest, in fact the lack of it is a bonus for me. As for whether it will quickly become boring - we will have to see. Games (for me) usually live or die by the "internal narrative" which I imagine in my head when playing. By today's standards Elite on the BBC Micro was a tiny game with the most basic graphics imaginable but it didn't matter because it created a believable world and your brain filled in the story of being a trader, pirate etc. If NMS can at least partly recreate those days then it's worth my £50. 

I am a little concerned that it could become a "grind" very quickly - only time will tell I guess. I am at peace with myself over it. I knew I would buy it, and even with the Day 1 negative reviews, I reckon I still would.

I appreciate however, that not everyone will share my view!

As an aside, just heard that Civilization VI is out in October!

13 hours ago, Legend_in_blue said:

Someone described it as Truck Simulator in space. Which is fine, people like that. It just sounds like people were expecting this to be so much more than it is.

Tbh I've not even glanced at a video post-launch so I've no idea what the issues are but lots of people seem to say they are enjoying it. Sounds like it's just fairly niche.

13 hours ago, stripeyfox said:

Yeah not sure what to make of it. At the moment, I'm enjoying it. Sometimes reading reviews is the worst thing to do if you are enjoying it so I'll probably keep away.

The biggest single criticisms seem to be the lack of multiplayer and the repetition. Multiplayer doesn't bother me in the slightest, in fact the lack of it is a bonus for me. As for whether it will quickly become boring - we will have to see. Games (for me) usually live or die by the "internal narrative" which I imagine in my head when playing. By today's standards Elite on the BBC Micro was a tiny game with the most basic graphics imaginable but it didn't matter because it created a believable world and your brain filled in the story of being a trader, pirate etc. If NMS can at least partly recreate those days then it's worth my £50. 

I am a little concerned that it could become a "grind" very quickly - only time will tell I guess. I am at peace with myself over it. I knew I would buy it, and even with the Day 1 negative reviews, I reckon I still would.

I appreciate however, that not everyone will share my view!

As an aside, just heard that Civilization VI is out in October!

I like it thus far but I think after the initial 2 weeks or so it's gonna be a I game infrequently for a very long time. Didn't play long as watching Villa get humped/Olympics but nearly got enough Shyze for the expensive component needed for the Hyper drive. It really is just supped up Elite for the current gen and really doesn't try and offer much more than that. 

My worry is the planet variety. There were subtle differences between the three I've landed on but it felt a bit like they could of been the same planet painted a different colour. It's all good having 18 quintillon planets but if there isn't a lot of difference between them whats the point.

7 minutes ago, Manwell Pablo said:

I like it thus far but I think after the initial 2 weeks or so it's gonna be a I game infrequently for a very long time. Didn't play long as watching Villa get humped/Olympics but nearly got enough Shyze for the expensive component needed for the Hyper drive. It really is just supped up Elite for the current gen and really doesn't try and offer much more than that. 

My worry is the planet variety. There were subtle differences between the three I've landed on but it felt a bit like they could of been the same planet painted a different colour. It's all good having 18 quintillon planets but if there isn't a lot of difference between them whats the point.

Yes, agree. I've only visited three planets so far. First one (starting planet) was a rocky world but was massive with lots to discover. Second one was lifeless, dead and unatmospheric (named it Planet Arsenal) and third one was a tropical jungle planet with huge oceans. But I guess there are only so many biomes before you've seen them all.

1 minute ago, stripeyfox said:

Yes, agree. I've only visited three planets so far. First one (starting planet) was a rocky world but was massive with lots to discover. Second one was lifeless, dead and unatmospheric (named it Planet Arsenal) and third one was a tropical jungle planet with huge oceans. But I guess there are only so many biomes before you've seen them all.

To be fair vastly more variety than me lol 

19 minutes ago, Haydos said:

Someone described it as Truck Simulator in space. Which is fine, people like that. It just sounds like people were expecting this to be so much more than it is.

Tbh I've not even glanced at a video post-launch so I've no idea what the issues are but lots of people seem to say they are enjoying it. Sounds like it's just fairly niche.

It's definately not going to be everybody's cup of tea. There is a broad narrative which shows a "path" to the centre of the galaxy which you are encouraged to follow for reasons yet to discover but you don't have to. 

You have to put some time into it, accept its not elite dangerous, or call of duty, its primarily an exploration game. If you like finding things and uncovering a mystery, you will love this. Saying that though, i have answered distress beacons and engagewd hostile ships, broken into abandoned buildings and shot stuff, but that is all secondary to the relaxed nature of the game. and i like that.

Started playing this when I got home from work last night and before I knew it it was 2 in the morning! lol

I think it's a great game so far. I'm a little disappointed at the apparent complete lack of player interaction of any type but I'm enjoying the game for what it is. I've just managed to unlock the atlas pass blueprint so I can finally start opening some of these locked doors I keep finding.

Think I'm about 6 systems from my starter one now. I've pretty much given up naming stuff because you literally have no reason to return to a system once you've left. Going to start shopping for a new ship soon with more inventory. I've managed to farm about 2 million units just doing gold runs from planets to space stations.

Edited by MrSpaM

Just now, MrSpaM said:

Started playing this when I got home from work last night and before I knew it it was 2 in the morning! lol

I think it's a great game so far. I'm a little disappointed at the apparent complete lack of player interaction of any type but I'm enjoying the game for what it is. I've just managed to unlock the atlas pass blueprint so I can finally start opening some of these locked doors I keep finding.

This I'm about 6 systems from my starter one now. I've pretty much given up naming stuff because you literally have no reason to return to a system once you've left. Going to start shopping for a new ship soon with more inventory. I've managed to farm about 2 million units just doing gold runs from planets to space stations.

Dude, where did you find the atlas pass? The absolute bain of my playthrough right now

6 minutes ago, Beliall said:

Dude, where did you find the atlas pass? The absolute bain of my playthrough right now

You need to follow the atlas story line you get at the start of the game. Eventually it takes you to an atlas base, and then sends you to a 'space anomaly', which looks like a small death star, a guy inside there gives you the blueprint.

I'm not sure there is any other way to get it other than following the quest line. It's worth doing though because it provides you with some great gear, and eventually they start sending you to black holes which transport you a lot further than warping can.

Edited by MrSpaM

Just now, MrSpaM said:

You need to follow the atlas story line you get at the start of the game. Eventually it takes you to an atlas base, and then sends you to a 'space anomaly', which looks like a small death star, a guy inside there gives you the blueprint.

I'm not sure there is any other way to get it other than following the quest line. It's worth doing though because it provides you with some great gear, and eventually they start sending you to black holes which transport you a lot further than warping can.

Awesome, logged off last night at the base, so not long to wait I guess

36 minutes ago, MrSpaM said:

Thanks. 

Missus is working tonight so hoping to put a decent shift in on this later.

Is it worth, or even possible, to travel back to some of the previous locked doors you encountered? For example there was one very close to my ship on the starting planet. But by the time I get the atlas pass it seems like it might be a big ballache to go all the way back?

EDIT: Thinking about it, the lack of a meaningful map or waypointing is a problem. Because even if I can navigate back to a particular planet in a system, how the hell am I going to find the base or outpost or whatever on the planet's surface?

Edited by stripeyfox

11 minutes ago, stripeyfox said:

Thanks. 

Missus is working tonight so hoping to put a decent shift in on this later.

Is it worth, or even possible, to travel back to some of the previous locked doors you encountered? For example there was one very close to my ship on the starting planet. But by the time I get the atlas pass it seems like it might be a big ballache to go all the way back?

EDIT: Thinking about it, the lack of a meaningful map or waypointing is a problem. Because even if I can navigate back to a particular planet in a system, how the hell am I going to find the base or outpost or whatever on the planet's surface?

19 hours ago, Beliall said:

There is a discovery list, I am sure if you wanted to you could trace your steps back easy enough

Also, found locations show up on planets surface. To be honest, I think its unlikely you will find anything going back, that you wont find going forward.

and word of warning to those using the pre order ship, if you havent learned to make warp drives (like me) because the ship comes with one, be careful getting a new ship , because it may not have one and you will be stuck in whatever system you are in

Enjoying the game so far.

When comparing to other games it's a great 'blank canvas' for which can, and will be, added.

The devs have already mentioned the addition of pets, the ability to own giant space freight ships and base building.

What should be most admired about this game, is the sheer size and volume. For an Indie team, it gives larger companies no excuses anymore.

People complaining about the lack of multiplayer in this game need to either go back to playing GTA V or the latest incarnation of CoD or (better) actually get out of their mum's spare room and out into the world for a bit.

The whole gaming industry has been whoring itself out to the God of online multiplayer as a cash cow for years now and then you slate the one reasonably widespread anticipated game that doesn't have it for exactly that reason? You ungrateful tosspots.

*ahem*

Seriously considering getting a PS4 once I get back to the UK to play this.