Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Jump to content
foxfanazer

Most Likeable People In Sport

Recommended Posts

Posted

I do also like Pearson, Lineker, Scholes and Gary Neville

Pearson is a geezer! His dry sense of humour cracks me up

Some will disagree but you've gotta love Nuge too, always smiling

Posted

Mark Webber always comes across as decent bloke, and incidentally so does Daniel Ricciardo, his replacement.

Posted

I'm guessing most of this is based on what people garner off the box?

For actually meeting people and spending a little time with them in the flesh, the funniest most decent Sportsman I have been in the company of is David Gower.

Posted

I like Ronnie O'sullivan also even if he ia a bit mad!

That smile!

 

If you ever watch the Ronnie O'Sullivan show on Eurosport, he comes across very well, he has had difficult times, but that show really shows the best side to him.

 

And yes that smile :D

 

It certainly had, I tried to get the thread back on track lol otherwise we could argue over Murray forever

 

I didn't want to get involved this time, so I'll just move it towards Sabine, as she has an awesome personality  :thumbup:

Posted

I'm guessing most of this is based on what people garner off the box?

For actually meeting people and spending a little time with them in the flesh, the funniest most decent Sportsman I have been in the company of is David Gower.

Yeah I guess most of it will be based on tv
Posted

Flesh wise, I met Stuart Broad when he was playing for Leicestershire, he was very decent. 

 

Met Jerome Taylor the West Indies Cricketer on the same day, and he was a complete bellend. 

Posted

I'm guessing most of this is based on what people garner off the box?

For actually meeting people and spending a little time with them in the flesh, the funniest most decent Sportsman I have been in the company of is David Gower.

Well most people won't have met too many top sportsmen, so it's going to be off the box I guess.

In person, Stuart Broad made me a kebab in a chip shop in Nottingham once, I was pretty pissed, but he seemed a nice bloke. Met Robbie Savage on my 18th birthday, and he was a top bloke too.

Guest Sharpe's Fox
Posted

Billy Davies is always humble in victory and gracious in defeat, quick to smile and welcome to anybody approaching him be it public or press.

Posted

Billy Davies is always humble in victory and gracious in defeat, quick to smile and welcome to anybody approaching him be it public or press.

lol
Posted

Don't understand the Henry shouts unless its sarcasm that I haven't copped on to (blame the hangover...).

Loved him in his pomp at Arsenal as a player but as a person and a pundit he comes across as a right arrogant bastard. Plus he's a cheat.

Back to the OP, Adam Scott and Darren Clarke in golf, Tsonga in tennis in addition to some of the others mentioned already.

Posted

Also one of the most overrated.

 

In a playing sense? Not really, he was a fantastic talent but had his limitations and plenty knew about them; but he was still an integral part of the best British club side in the modern era. The man is a global brand and adored by millions off the pitch but that doesn't correlate to him being over rated in a playing capacity whatsoever. If anything I'd argue that him becoming such a marketable face and having the word "celebrity" follow him about has skewered people's opinions into forgetting just how bloody good he was, ergo I'd argue he's actually been under-rated in hindsight, thanks to throwaway remarks like the one you chose to make.

 

I await you countering with a response like "but all he could do is take free kicks."

Posted

In a playing sense? Not really, he was a fantastic talent but had his limitations and plenty knew about them; but he was still an integral part of the best British club side in the modern era. The man is a global brand and adored by millions off the pitch but that doesn't correlate to him being over rated in a playing capacity whatsoever. If anything I'd argue that him becoming such a marketable face and having the word "celebrity" follow him about has skewered people's opinions into forgetting just how bloody good he was, ergo I'd argue he's actually been under-rated in hindsight, thanks to throwaway remarks like the one you chose to make.

I await you countering with a response like "but all he could do is take free kicks."

All he could do was take free kicks.

Seriously though, his right foot and ability to put a ball in were second to none, but he's far from the complete player his reputation suggest. There are plenty of players I'd have in my team ahead of him.

I honestly liked him when he was at United, it's just a shame he's become seen as this celebrity, because he could have easily stayed at United and become not only a legend there but a totally decorated player like Giggs.

Posted

All he could do was take free kicks.

Seriously though, his right foot and ability to put a ball in were second to none, but he's far from the complete player his reputation suggest. There are plenty of players I'd have in my team ahead of him.

I honestly liked him when he was at United, it's just a shame he's become seen as this celebrity, because he could have easily stayed at United and become not only a legend there but a totally decorated player like Giggs.

 

What reputation though?! We're talking in playing circles, where he had no reputation as a "complete player" whatsoever, I don't think anyone would bracket him with the likes of Zidane, Ronaldinho or Rivaldo in their pomp.

 

I don't know how you define "totally decorated" but he's won vast amounts, likewise I don't see how anyone could begrudge him a move to Madrid with the players they had at the time - if you had the opportunity to work with Zidane, Raul, Figo, Ronaldo et al, in a great city with a new challenge, would you turn it down without a thought? I doubt it. Your last sentence essentially proves my earlier point that your own opinion on Beckham is skewed by his appeal as a marketable brand and adjoining adoration by masses off the pitch. Just because he was so popular as a commercial tool it doesn't mean all and sundry thought he was the most gifted footballer of a generation, although my opinion stands that he was an excellent footballer who seems to have gone unappreciated in hindsight by a few.

 

Having your dislike of someone stem from him moving abroad for a new challenge really is quite bizarre.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...