Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
johnny the fox

Kris Commons..

im sorry but a club that plays champs league by default being a one a horse race in that league every season the only competition they had in that league was rangers and they made sure they had them relegated to lowest division possible , its a nothing league full of league 1 league 2 players at best , if they put the scottish leagues and english leagues together champtionship clubs at best no better than what we have

You're partly right. The current celtic side would struggle to perform in the english top flight and maybe even championship.

The fact they only have to raise their game every few weeks may have something to do with doing ok in champions leauge.

But if your telling me a side that gets 60k week after week added to the epl tv deal wouldn't do ok after 2 or 3 years. Wrong.

Look at the side rangers put together with some creative accounting.

Guest MattP

The "Scotland is equal to League One standard" debate is rubbish and boring. There's many examples of players who look good in the SPL coming over here and performing well.

Most of them are from a whule ago now. No doubt the standard of the league has rapidly declined from even 3-4 years ago and it's only going to get worse.

I've no doubt Nige has no interest in Commons either. Doesn't tick any of the boxes for him.

The "Scotland is equal to League One standard" debate is rubbish and boring. There's many examples of players who look good in the SPL coming over here and performing well.

Take Celtic out and what have you got? Stevie May could probably play in the Championship, a couple of Motherwell + Dundee United players?

Most of them are from a whule ago now. No doubt the standard of the league has rapidly declined from even 3-4 years ago and it's only going to get worse.

I've no doubt Nige has no interest in Commons either. Doesn't tick any of the boxes for him.

Take Celtic out and what have you got? Stevie May could probably play in the Championship, a couple of Motherwell + Dundee United players?

I dunno. Who knows til they get here? I'm on about players that have come across... The likes of Steven Fletcher, Charlie Adam, Jelavic etc have performed at this level well.

Not that I want Commons, I don't think Nige does either.

I am sorry. Celtic might not be an Man U, PSG or even a Napoli but they would be a team that could compete with most teams in the PL. Champion League football and the near guarantee European football is a great pull for good quality players. It is completely naive to suggest that Cetic are not a good team or their players of a poor quality.

Championship or League 1 maybe.

As has been said above, after the Craig Levein era, I don't think many of our fans would ever take to the Scottish leagues. Yeah they're might be the odd player here or there but on the main, its on par with our League 1/2.

I'd be astonished if we were genuinely interested in him. He's too old and not good enough. He knows he'll never get a better club than Celtic and no wonder he's desperate to stay there.

They must keep getting lucky in the champs league & Europe:

Beat Ajax last season, Barcelona and Spartak Moscow season before, plus numerous other clubs from smaller nations. Drawing against Benfica, Rennes, Udinese.

The standard might not be great, but it's not in many European nations outside the top half a dozen teams in each league. You shouldn't automatically rule people out because of the league they are currently in.

I thought the signing of Vardy might have stopped all that shit.

finally someone talking sense. I'm glad I've finally found someone who's posts are worth reading cos lets be honest, 95% of people on here talk utter shit!

finally someone talking sense. I'm glad I've finally found someone who's posts are worth reading cos lets be honest, 95% of people on here talk utter shit!

100% this! Celtic have a bloody good team! Yeah maybe Commons isn't good enough, but they have some quality players there! Quite a few teams in the champions league that get to the group stages play in awful leagues yet have really good teams. Don't judge teams on the league they play in judge them by how they play.

Who are they then? Off the top of my head i cant think of one.

Jelavic, Cuellar, Fletcher, Adam, Ledley (granted he was at Cardiff first anyway but never played in the top flight prior to moving to Celtic)...

You talk about Scottish football as if Celtic never beat the likes of Ajax and Barcelona. They aren't exactly push overs, regardless of what division Rangers are in.

Who are they then? Off the top of my head i cant think of one.

Jelavic, Cuellar, Fletcher, Adam, Ledley (granted he was at Cardiff first anyway but never played in the top flight prior to moving to Celtic)...

You talk about Scottish football as if Celtic never beat the likes of Ajax and Barcelona. They aren't exactly push overs, regardless of what division Rangers are in.

Wanyama and Boruc too. Craig Gordon looked good for Sunderland before he got horrendously injured as well. 

You must have a short memory we've bought some quality players from Scotland over the years.

Alan Maybury, Stephen Hughes, Robbie Nielson, Mark De Vries, Rab Douglas, Joe Hamill.

Don't forget Charlie Miller and Peter Canero!

Archived