Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
sdb

RDL

If we dont start Simpson then why have we signed him? De Laet was our worst player vs Palace, only fair to give Simpson a go

De Laet has been our best RB for the past few years and you want to drop him on the back of one shakey game?

Simpson was brought in as backup or if RDLs form dips.

Chopping the back line because of one result sets us on a very inconsistent road.

Im a big advocate of 'you just play your best team'. If RDL is favoured by Nige, over Simmo, then I'll go with that.

You don't just play players 'because you've signed them'.

You pick the best side to beat an opposition, to win a football match.

If that means Simpson or Powell don't start all season..fine

But its a long season and we need strength in depth. We now have it.

RDL very good going forward, but struggling a bit on the defensive side at the moment. Perhaps an option for some away games (where opponents are strong down the left), is to play him wide midfield in front of Simpson?

It seems to me in the last two games, a lot has been happening down the RDL's side of the pitch. Although he was not at fault the shambolic defending on Saturday.

every game we have played so far this season it is down our right side we get attacked. It is not rocket science to realise that all teams we have played the opposition single out Rdl as defensively weak. Yes. At times he is great going forward, but let's be honest he is a defender for gawds sake. He was poor on Saturday but like Cambiasso he took a knock and maybe injured for Saturday.

Simpson looked a more accomplished defender but a totally different type of player.

Will be a hard one to call who will start against Burnley.

I don't understand how my criticism of Nugent is met with such hatred...yet people couldn't give a toss when our of our better performers is being slagged off.

He was excellent at Chelsea and Stoke....Very good against Everton considering he had to mark pienaar and baines on his own for 60 minutes.

Bolasie is a very fast and tricky winger, who was their best player at Everton. NP should of known this and adjusted his tactics accordingly....Albrighton should have been stuck in front of Ritchie.

I like De Laet

But seriously, you've shown yourself up for the footballing non entity that you are this weekend. What a statement that is,  excellent against Chelsea?? Are you off your tits, have you seen the game? Hazard had his pants down and if you look back in this thread someone posted up his pass completion rate was around 35%

He was fcking dire against Chelsea.

Simpson was going to look better because the damage was done and Palace were happy to sit on their lead. Not sure we can judge if a player is a better option based on 25 minutes at 2-0 down.

Simpson may well be the right choice away from home for solidity, or is there a case for having De Laet as a winger with Simpson behind him?

The loyalty to RDL is understandable - he's a wholehearted player who makes some amazing tackles and who goes on some breathtaking runs. BUT - he is vulnerable defensively. He tends to throw himself in - which when it comes off, wins him standing ovations, when it doesn't we're in trouble and/or he gets booked. Too often he lets his winger get his cross in, instead of closing down tight, and occasionally he's less than solid - getting isolated, frittering good possession etc and even on those exhilirating overlaps his crossing does little justice to the original run. It's almost impossible not to like him and to want him to succeed but I'd be surprised if he can hold his place through a full Premiership season. And if he does, I for one will be worried about our ability to keep clean sheets.

The loyalty to RDL is understandable - he's a wholehearted player who makes some amazing tackles and who goes on some breathtaking runs. BUT - he is vulnerable defensively. He tends to throw himself in - which when it comes off, wins him standing ovations, when it doesn't we're in trouble and/or he gets booked. Too often he lets his winger get his cross in, instead of closing down tight, and occasionally he's less than solid - getting isolated, frittering good possession etc and even on those exhilirating overlaps his crossing does little justice to the original run. It's almost impossible not to like him and to want him to succeed but I'd be surprised if he can hold his place through a full Premiership season. And if he does, I for one will be worried about our ability to keep clean sheets.

Good post. I'm torn on RDL, as you say he can be brilliant or really poor

De Laet has been our best RB for the past few years and you want to drop him on the back of one shakey game?

Simpson was brought in as backup or if RDLs form dips.

Chopping the back line because of one result sets us on a very inconsistent road.

It hasn't been one game though. People keep saying this and it's just not correct.

He's had several games this season where he's not looked great. I'm one of those considering dropping him but that isn't a knee-jerk reaction on my part. I've come to my view by looking at all six games not just the last one.

I reckon RDL is still the best we have for his position. Certainly hope we keep him in for Burnley where his attacking prowess will provide dividends. I expect an assist from him this week.

I don't understand how my criticism of Nugent is met with such hatred...yet people couldn't give a toss when our of our better performers is being slagged off.

He was excellent at Chelsea and Stoke....Very good against Everton considering he had to mark pienaar and baines on his own for 60 minutes.

Bolasie is a very fast and tricky winger, who was their best player at Everton. NP should of known this and adjusted his tactics accordingly....Albrighton should have been stuck in front of Ritchie.

:blink: 

Wtf

His crossing isn't very good, his passing is very hit and miss and his first touch is a little inconsistent.

I say that as a fan of De Laet and I've defended him on here in the past but he can probably be replaced far easier than most of our team.

His crossing isn't very good, his passing is very hit and miss and his first touch is a little inconsistent.

I say that as a fan of De Laet and I've defended him on here in the past but he can probably be replaced far easier than most of our team.

His assist for Vardy's goal against Man Utd was brilliant. We don't have another defender who could do that

His assist for Vardy's goal against Man Utd was brilliant. We don't have another defender who could do that

It was a good pass but I'd be disappointed if none of our other defenders could play that pass.

I did like the look of Simpson when he came on. Just gave me a bit more confidence in his defending than De Laet usually does.

If there was a change for Saturday I wouldn't be surprised if Danny got a go. He's also played a lot of Premier League games so that should also help.

Archived