Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
cityfanlee23

Pearson out?

You will struggle to find many examples of sides who back their manager with ample finances for two-and-a-half years in the second tier, waiting for promotion, then sit back and let him get them relegated, then give him yet another year or so to get it right second time around.

I'd be surprised and disappointed to hear anyone seriously suggesting that Pearson should go now. But if this run continues - and it will unless we start covering a lot more ground in the centre of the park, and being tighter in the full back positions - he will find himself in a position which, 9 times out of 10, leads to a manager being fired. That's how modern football works.

So it's stupid to argue that he should be fired this week or next week or the week after. But it's entirely realistic to acknowledge that, right or wrong, he could be on his way within a month or two if things don't improve. They will, though, I suspect.

Good post. But with Moyse sat at home twiddling his thumbs, it's a dangerous time for any struggling manager.

Be interesting to see what everyone is saying next week when we lose next week at HOME to West Brom.

If it's a given that we're gonna lose, why are we going to play?

You're a fvcking tool. Never knew we were guaranteed a loss in any game. 

Have som fvcking faith FFS.

Even if we went down with a record low points total, Pearson deserves to stay and to have the chance to take us back up. Would love us to set a real precedent for sticking with a manager who has got us where we are, regardless of what happens.

I said this in the summer. Stick with him come what may.

Many said today, sod it, attack them.. Pearson put out an attacking formation. We went for it.

And now people criticise him...

Many said today, sod it, attack them.. Pearson put out an attacking formation. We went for it.

This is true. Virtually everyone wanted Vardy and Mahrez back in the squad. They came back in. Pearson still gets stick.

(This obviously isn't to say Vardy/Mahrez were to blame for today's loss before anyone jumps that gun). 

Sometimes a manager just cannot win but has to take the flak and stick for his team. Sometimes it is genuinely the players not pulling their fingers out. The manager can only do so much to do what he thinks is right and then it's up to the players to deliver. For the past few games, some players haven't. 

If it's a given that we're gonna lose, why are we going to play?

You're a fvcking tool. Never knew we were guaranteed a loss in any game.

Have som fvcking faith FFS.

Haha don't worry mate there was a little bit of sarcasm in there. A lot of people suggesting if we keep our home form up we will be fine.

At the end if the day we are going to lose games at home, we drew our last home game and there was reported booing so I'm sure with our current run and a loss at home you may see some changed opinions on Pearson?

Regards to keeping the faith, I do keep the faith don't worry mate lol personally I feel with how performances have been at late the best we can hope for is a draw. WBA are a very hit and miss side, hopefully we catch them on an off day.

Come on Col you being serious? He may have put out on paper an attacking minded formation/players but we didn't play like it especially first half.

Worrying, Swansea didn't get out of second gear in order to beat us that is the worry and concern.

Disagree with you I am afraid. As I said earlier it was a change in personnel however after having gone to Newcastle, and watching the first half on tv they may have been forward thinking players but they didn't play that way? Many times I saw Ulloa motioning with his hands for us to get forward as there was too big a cap between him isolated up front on his own and the midfield and the defence. You must have seen it different and I respect that.

Please be honest re Hammond he was not deemed good enougth last season in the championship to even start games. yet, this season he seems to be starting most. He is too slow and he should not start in the team in front of King. i would lovento know what he has done wrong to be warranted to be dropped we were playing better earlier in the season when he started.

Re Cambiasso you are again wrong yes, a great player in his day but not anymore. He is a damn site better than Hammond though and on current form Drinkwater. Another train of thought re Cambiasso sometimes he plays great balls but our other players do not anticipate them early enougth hence they appear to be wasted.

I do not believe Pearson should be sacked yet either however, away from home we do need to change our tactics Ulloa up top on his own is not working. It may not have been like that today but on the first half showing it certainly seemed like it.

FInally, it's all very well looking at anything with blue tinted glasses but the worry for me was that Swansea didn't appear to get out of second gear in order to beat us and that is very worrying.

Are you really happy with that?

I agree with some of your points, but I don't think we necessarily set up negatively today. I just think they were better and faster in possession than us, where as we looked laborious and untidy in possession.

Hammond when played with creative midfielders infront of him can be a very effective screen for the back 4, but it is really difficult as to picking the midfield 2/3 at the minute because none of them are playing that well, only King can be said to be hard done by.

Not really having your point on Cambiasso, seems to be looking to play the Hollywood pass when it is not on and gives possession away and can't get around the pitch as much as in his prime.

Ofcourse I'm not happy with losing a game, as nobody will be. Swansea will be a team who finish between 8-12 this season, and realistically we are not expected to get much there. The big test will be next Saturday and what formation and side Pearson puts out. I can only really think of 3 or 4 players who are guaranteed and deserve a start next week, everyone else Pearson has a proper headache on his hands. 

And who in? David Moyes? You can bet the owners will have thought it already.

Fans in The Prem are generally more tolerant than owners, unless you're Newcastle. 3 or 4 more bad results and Pearson will be in trouble.

Moyes would never come and there are few others worth considering.

I would stick with Nigel. It's not just the squad's lack of experience at this level. Nigel showed last season that he can learn lessons. It would be nice to see our owners trust him whether we stay up or go down.

Too early. I think we'll stay up with him.

There's a lot of hero worship for Pearson on here isn't there? I understand it. Proper blokey man, fights dogs in Romania, headbutts his daughter... or something. I reckon some posters would be more upset if we sacked Pearson than if we went down. If we're doing shite and there's someone else available who could do better I wouldn't really care.

Funniest quote I've read in a while on FT although I'll think you'll find he head butted the wild dogs and fought his daughter in Romania.

Pearson should stay! 

Only manager out there is Tony Pulis who might keep us up. But if we go down Pearson will stay with us and has a great record in that league. Players seem to like him, he has done great for our club and will continue to do so. 

Even if we went down with a record low points total, Pearson deserves to stay and to have the chance to take us back up. Would love us to set a real precedent for sticking with a manager who has got us where we are, regardless of what happens.

I said stick with him even if we went down in the summer also, I did say also unless he does something dramatically stupid though - which he hasn't and I hope he doesn't, I only said that as a disclaimer! lol

However some of his selections and tactics have been abit questionable and I have struggled to understand them.

But I like Pearson, alot and will stick to my guns, support him.

My buck lies with (As it usually does when things aren't going well) the players, a manager can only do so much, yes he is selecting players I don't agree should be playing and setting them up but it's the players that are pissing me off atm - We know how good they can be, well, what's changed?

Reading this forum for the past few weeks, This is not me calling for his head, but I've seen a few posts recently that look as if a portion of fans are ready to get rid of him already????

Personally Think if Big Nige sorts his system out and sticks to it we may be okay, Obviously if we carry on like this we will be down very quickly..

But what are peoples general thoughts on Nigel so far this season?

Is he the man for us? or would someone like Pulis be a better prospect?

Is Nigel really as inadequate as some of these match day threads amongst others are making him out to be??

This thread is purely based on the negativity on the forum towards pearson at present. I think we should stick with him.

Discuss.

Well if that's your view, don't call your thread "Pearson out?" Plonker.

You're showing a fundamental misunderstanding of football tactics here. A formation is not attacking or defensive in of itself. The style of play is what defines how attacking or defensive a side is. You could stick a 4-2-4 out but sit deep and keep the tempo low. What we saw yesterday cannot be described as us going for it by any stretch of the imagination.

I agree on the main point, mind. Pearson should stay whatever the outcome this season.

You're showing a fundamental misunderstanding of football tactics here. A formation is not attacking or defensive in of itself. The style of play is what defines how attacking or defensive a side is. You could stick a 4-2-4 out but sit deep and keep the tempo low. What we saw yesterday cannot be described as us going for it by any stretch of the imagination.

I agree on the main point, mind. Pearson should stay whatever the outcome this season.

We could have played any formation under the sun, with any player combination and as much attacking intent as you can muster... But if those 11 players can't keep the ball and pass to each other, it will ultimately look negative as you are doing nothing but defending. We couldn't even pass the ball into their half at times so we are going to look deep.

I don't believe Pearson set out for us to be negative, so I'm not going to criticise him for that. That was a symptom of simple failures of the players mentioned above.

But we need to ask why 11 players to a man couldn't string more than a few passes together.

The chopping and changing of formations and players has to be a problem, last season every man knew his job, where he should be on the pitch, I don't think we can say that's the case now.

Pearson should stay, obviously. Its far too early to even consider his position. I think long term he will get it right.

BUT he is not so infallible that we can't criticise him and I believe he has made and shown a little nativity since promotion. The summer transfer dealing we're not great, but I would imagine we missed out on several targets.

Some of the tactics so far have been poor so far, for example putting Ulloa on the left? The continued faith in Nugent (who I like but really isn't offering much but work rate). It was clear at h/t we were struggling and needed to switch it. I would have thought a 3-5-2 would have made a difference given their wide men caused us problems but also left space in behind. We were never going to get any joy through the middle yet we bring 3 cm on.

It's time to freshen the team up a little, Simpson is a must away from home, offers more defensively than RDL, who is useful at home. We were promoted with a consistant team and formation, let's get over this picking a team for specific games and get back to what we do best.

Archived