Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
cityfanlee23

Pearson out?

I've responded to your responses.

inckley fox, on 28 Oct 2014 - 2:15 PM, said:snapback.png

I think we should keep Pearson. Until we are in the relegation zone, and on an inexorable slide without much of a chance of getting out of it (which, could, if we're truthful, be just 3 or 4 games away if things don't improve) then there's no meaningful argument for him to go. But the main reason for this is that he was a good second and third tier manager for us who deserves his chance.

But there are some reasons for keeping him which just don't add up:

a. That there are no alternatives (Moyes? Pulis?) MEGALOLZ.

Why?

b. That all of our other managers have been rubbish since O'Neill (which makes the crazy assumption that, because Taylor, Bassett, Kelly, Allen, Megson and Holloway aren't much good, therefore hundreds of other managers, many of which have been relatively successful, must also be rubbish) Don't understand the point being made here, not ever sure he does.

A number of people in the past have argued for Nigel Pearson on the grounds that all of our other managers since O'Neill have been awful. I don't think this argument makes sense because there are still plenty of managers out there who do achieve success, it's just that we've not managed to employ many of them.

c. That we should give Pearson the whole season no matter what (boards simply don't sit back these days while managers get them relegated, regardless of how good they were last season or how limited the alternatives are - if they did Crystal Palace, Swansea, Southampton would probably be in the second tier now)  Silly argument, I could give you a list far bigger of clubs that have sacked their manager and have been relegated (QPR/Warnock, Reading/McDermott, Norwich/Hughton, Fulham/Jol & Muelensteen, Cardiff/Mackay, and that is just in the last couple of years. Also to suggest Southampton would have gone down without sacking Adkins is clutching at straws to say the least. I genuinely believe a lot of people here think that because Southampton sacked him and are now second, that is the blueprint to success and we should do the same. 

Oh dear. QPR didn't go down after sacking Warnock. Reading and Norwich changed managers in the spring, had they changed earlier in the season and given a new manager time to turn things around (like, say, Pulis) then who knows what would have happened. So that leaves Fulham and Cardiff. And I'd argue that it was not the sacking, but rather the subsequent appointment, which sealed their fate.

d. All will be fine (based on what aspect of NP's record in this league? Even in the Championship, we went on a run which - if replicated now - would see us relegated by Christmas) This is what bothers me the most, why do people have absolutely no respect for the bloke? Are people just bored of him? People wanted him sacked after the Watford game, people wanted him sacked last December after losing a few. We've seen it all before, just give the guy a ****ing break. He is the reason we are in the Prem, he is the reason our team spirit is the best it's been for years, he is the reason we started the season so well.

Of course it has nothing to do with the tens of millions invested in the club since 2011. And, if he's the reason for our decent first five games then he also has to take full responsibility for the four miserable affairs that followed. And, to be frank, any self-respecting businessman would look at your argument and say 'so, he was good at getting us into the Prem, does that mean he is going to be any good at keeping us there? His future at the club depends on what happens now, not what happened one, two, three, four or five years ago,

When things are going well, (you know, like 3/4 weeks ago?), we watch the tunnel cam videos and he is an absolute god on here, now after a few bad results everything he does is wrong. Just piss off. 

Thank you for your elegant response. And if the club is ever in doubt as to whether the right man is in charge, then clearly they need only look to Tunnel Cam. I never knew that was the secret.

This is hardly picking my argument apart, is it?

And I'd like to point out that I'm arguing that we shouldn't be thinking about sacking the manager, and that we'll turn things around under his management. You appear to have taken offence with the notion that, right or wrong, he might be fired if it looks like we're going down. And history not only suggests, but confirms that I'm right.

Even Jesus went through some tough times, you know.

So I think vs west brom

KS

PK

LM

WM

DS

MA

MJ

DD

RM

JV

LU

Away from home even go DS right back and RDL right midfield

Wow. You are the first person who has man for man picked my XI in the right formation. I thought it was worth pointing that out.

Critisising Pearson for our past 3/4 games is absolutely fine, alluding to the fact you think he should be fired is just being a dumb dumb though. If anyone has shown he learns lessons from bad experiences it's Nigel. I don't for one moment doubt that with time he will continue to improve and know what is required to do at this level.

Patience with Nigel will pay off, I'm fairly confident of that. If we were to go down, I'd want nobody else in charge to get us back up and I'd fully expect he'd have learned from this season and have us stay up comfortable the following season.

What everyone seems to be overlooking here is that football more so the premier league is a business and no longer a sport.

Believe me there is no love lost in business especially at boardroom level.

It will all boil down to whether our owners can sustain the loss of us getting relegated again? It will mean millions of pounds of losses and financial fair play provisio which is even harder in the Championship with the added penalties if you do not concur.

I will say it again, I do not want Pearson sacked. However, if the thais can't sustain the loss, if we get relegated, no matter how good a bloke or how good a manager he maybe he will be gone.

Mark my words there is no such thing as loyalty, friendships in business its dog eat dog.

One minute you can be dining out at the top table the next if the hirearchy dont like your financial results you are out.

Thats life the premiership is no different.

For that reason because of our last four results like it or not the manager is on borrowed time.

It will all boil down to whether our owners can sustain the loss of us getting relegated again? It will mean millions of pounds of losses and financial fair play provisio which is even harder in the Championship with the added penalties if you do not concur.

I would imagine that very much depends on what relegation clauses we have in the players contracts. We would also lose GTF, Was, Cambiasso, Gallagher, Konch, Hammond.  I think Knockaert and King are also out of contract (need to check that). With Nugnet only having one more year left on his.

Add together the reduction in players wages, the loss of a lot of squad players and the increase in revenue from parachute payments and I would hazard a guess that we'll be absolutely fine until the end of the parachute payments.

You can criticise Pearson. I think even biggest fans of his would admit he's got things wrong last couple of games. But surely you can see that calling for his head after said games is a bit far-fetched, no? 

At this stage of the season, it would be ridiculous to call for his head, but has anyone actually called for his head now? If we continue to struggle with results, and poor performances, it will be inevitable that some will.

I've responded to your responses.

inckley fox, on 28 Oct 2014 - 2:15 PM, said:snapback.png

This is hardly picking my argument apart, is it?

And I'd like to point out that I'm arguing that we shouldn't be thinking about sacking the manager, and that we'll turn things around under his management. You appear to have taken offence with the notion that, right or wrong, he might be fired if it looks like we're going down. And history not only suggests, but confirms that I'm right.

Even Jesus went through some tough times, you know.

Good post.

shocking that some of u think pearson should go alredy its the premier leaugue he needs time 

i think Pearson should go. Clearly isnt capable of keeping us up. Man U game was a fluke. Bring in Pulis

:fishing:

I can not believe there is a thread even asking this. We all new that we were going to expect a long and difficult season and anyone who thought we would romp it and be in the top half must be plain stupid. its a big step up from the championship to the premier league. Yes we surprised a few teams in our first 5 games and teams did not no how to play against us but now we have played a few teams have been able to see what problems we can cause and they have played a system where we have not been able to create much.

I do think we need to do something but that is on the pitch not with the staff. i.e. dropping players that don't play well and giving others a chance to shine as we have top quality players sitting on the bench week in week out.

IN PEARSON WE TRUST!!!!!!!!!! STOP CALLING FOR HIM TO GET THE SACK!!!!!

I can not believe there is a thread even asking this. We all new that we were going to expect a long and difficult season and anyone who thought we would romp it and be in the top half must be plain stupid. its a big step up from the championship to the premier league. Yes we surprised a few teams in our first 5 games and teams did not no how to play against us but now we have played a few teams have been able to see what problems we can cause and they have played a system where we have not been able to create much.

I do think we need to do something but that is on the pitch not with the staff. i.e. dropping players that don't play well and giving others a chance to shine as we have top quality players sitting on the bench week in week out.

IN PEARSON WE TRUST!!!!!!!!!! STOP CALLING FOR HIM TO GET THE SACK!!!!!

great post mate absolutey sickening people are calling for his head forgetting what hes done for us in the last 7 years disgusting really

It wouldn't be if people didn't keep posting that they can't believe this conversation's happening.

Maybe if we let it die, cityfanlee will take the hint and do one...

For f---s sake look closer at the thread title. cityfanlee only asked the question. Can't you bloody well understand English?

Don't know, or really care if this was a serious suggestion, but let me tell you, it shouldn't even be seriously discussed until we are getting cut adrift like Burnley.

I wouldn't say that he 'deserves' time, more that he demands it given his record at LCFC, it makes sense as he is a proven winner.

Some managers just fit well with with certain club, like Eddie Howe at Bournemouth or Mou at Chelsea and NP - Leicester is one of those. The man knows our players and has started to implement a legacy here.

Getting rid of him should only be a last ditch resort in desperation, and I have every faith that the owners know this too.

Archived