Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
cityfanlee23

Pearson out?

Not even Einstein, with his imagination, could conceive of that being an attacking performance.

If we had one shot of any note in the first half I can't remember it. 

Our "attacking" was about as rousing as The Epilogue on days-past tv. 

Yes we might have selected some attacking players. But either they were guys in disguise or they'd forgotten where the target was.

At one stage they were more threat to our own rearguard with the number of players passing backwards.

Someone summed it up when he mentioned tempo - there was none. We drove forward like so many waves rippling gently into the seashore on a calm day. Everything was predictable and one wave looked just like the other while it lasted, which was never very long.     

For too many players, if they'd passed wind as badly as they passed the ball they'd have shit themselves.

If this was the great joy of playing in the Premiership for City's players, I'd wonder if they ever get excited even in the bedroom.

Where was the energy, the selfless runs, the imagination, the determination or the atttitude - right up to the point Swansea took the lead? Our whole demeanour was like so many tired troopers conducting a damage limitation exercise a million miles from the safety of their home barracks.  Even the normally warriorlike Vardy was made to look like he'd been abandoned in some distant field, too far from the action to fire anything that might have been deadly. Attacking wise we'd have been more threat with fairground rifles and cork bullets.

Top post well said Thrac agree with every word.

Can I make a few predictions.

We'll win a few, we'll lose a few.  We'll lose more than we win.  We'll bob around the bottom 6/8 all season.  We'll slip into the bottom 3.  We'll be outside the bottom 3.  We won't know which division we are playing in until next season until the final game of the season.  We'll lose to an awful side.  We'll get a point or win against "world beaters".

Did folk honestly think that the prem would be a stroll in the park?

The core of the side is good enough but most of the team are still learning.  They are going to make mistakes.

This season is about hanging on.  4th bottom and all that.  Next summer, it will be easier to sign players as an "established" prem club.  No one will be overawed by the "big boys" etc etc etc.

Pearson out ? er no. Anymore than "sack the board".

We've performed against the big boys. Our problem seems to be performing when we are expected to get a result.

Not even Einstein, with his imagination, could conceive of that being an attacking performance.

If we had one shot of any note in the first half I can't remember it. 

Our "attacking" was about as rousing as The Epilogue on days-past tv. 

Yes we might have selected some attacking players. But either they were guys in disguise or they'd forgotten where the target was.

At one stage they were more threat to our own rearguard with the number of players passing backwards.

Someone summed it up when he mentioned tempo - there was none. We drove forward like so many waves rippling gently into the seashore on a calm day. Everything was predictable and one wave looked just like the other while it lasted, which was never very long.     

For too many players, if they'd passed wind as badly as they passed the ball they'd have shit themselves.

If this was the great joy of playing in the Premiership for City's players, I'd wonder if they ever get excited even in the bedroom.

Where was the energy, the selfless runs, the imagination, the determination or the atttitude - right up to the point Swansea took the lead? Our whole demeanour was like so many tired troopers conducting a damage limitation exercise a million miles from the safety of their home barracks.  Even the normally warriorlike Vardy was made to look like he'd been abandoned in some distant field, too far from the action to fire anything that might have been deadly. Attacking wise we'd have been more threat with fairground rifles and cork bullets.

Yes we looked embarrassingly easy to defend against- flat back four and a couple in midfield forcing us to play in front of them until we give the ball away -genius

Well there's more to it than simply picking a line-up that a handful of FT posters find agreeable!

The side looked short of motivation and organisation - these amount to a manager's responsibility too. And, as far as the line-up is concerned, there are few out there who would put De Laet, Hammond and Nugent in ahead of Simpson, Cambiasso and James.

He has failed to settle his line-up so far, consistently picking 2/3 players per game ahead of more capable alternatives. Take the decision to leave Vardy out for Nugent or Schlupp on occasions, or stick with Hammond ahead of James. He has tinkered with the formation on a game by game basis, to the extent that players don't seem to know what system they are playing. While some of those stand-ins - Hammond especially - have done us proud, you can't persist with players on a 'if you do a job, you get the shout' basis to the same extent at the bottom end of the PL, as at the top end of the Championship.

He's got it wrong and he's going to have to put it right, and quick. But let's not go thinking that he can be defended on the grounds that a few FT posters more or less agreed with his team selection; or even that the only measurement of his decision-making should be his team selection when there's a lot more there for him to sort out.

Spot on, and well written. The manager is a person who does what his title says, and that is to manage to the best of his ability. He carries that responsibility He has made a good few bad calls, but I would stick by him, in the hope that he, like the players, will improve quickly through the current learning curve.

In the Premiership there is nowhere to hide, and the team and manager must dodge the flack by wholesale improvement, the sooner the better.

Out of the question that we should look to get rid of him yet. A fair few wanted this to happen not so long ago and look what happened. He deserves criticism for our recent blip but he's still a fantastic coach and seems very popular with the players.

If we were to go down I couldn't think of anybody better to take us back up. Not that I think we'll be relegated

Hardest opening ten games of any team in the division, not even in relegation area and unbeaten at home.

I think we'll stick with what we've got thanks.

Everything will be ok in the end, it always is with this management team.

I know what his achievements for us in the past have been nothing short of a master stroke and maybe he does deserve the time but I genuinly believe it's starting to look like he's taken the team as far as he can.

Sorry but this is utter garbage. So excellent performances against Everton, Arsenal, Chelsea and Manchester United - equate to Pearson not being able to take us any further. We aren't even at Christmas yet and you're writing him off?! Maybe those performances raised the bar of expectancy - but can you really expect them all to put in that level of performance 100% of the time? I don't think you can. It'd be great if they did but they're human beings.

Saturday we were poor - probably the wrong line-up, no pressing and we did look lethargic. 

I think we are doing well, really. Given our start, i'd have taken 4th bottom. Hell, on the last day of the season i'd take 4th bottom!

Amazed that some actually think we should get rid of Pearson just because we've hit stormy waters. If we'd ditched him last time that happened we'd probably be a mid table Championship side right now.

NP will get it right. There was always going to be tough times this season but I'm sure we'll stay up.

OH FFS GIVE THE BLOKE A CHANCE !!

It's only 9 games in and hell shit we've gade a few nightmares but give him a chance he's trying to sort it out but ffs who can we replace him with ??

I for one says keep PEARSON it always have a bad run and call for the managers head but let's just keep the faith with PEARSON all will be fine !!

I'd be worried if we were bottom with zero points on the board but it's early days we'll be fine !

It's only 9 games in and hell shit we've gade a few nightmares but give him a chance he's trying to sort it out but ffs who can we replace him with ??

I for one says keep PEARSON it always have a bad run and call for the managers head but let's just keep the faith with PEARSON all will be fine !!

I'd be worried if we were bottom with zero points on the board but it's early days we'll be fine !

It will be fine? 3 have to go down you know, and we don't look like picking 3 points up any time soon on current form.

Please explain where your optimism comes from?

Amazed that some actually think we should get rid of Pearson just because we've hit stormy waters. If we'd ditched him last time that happened we'd probably be a mid table Championship side right now.

NP will get it right. There was always going to be tough times this season but I'm sure we'll stay up.

I think we should keep Pearson. Until we are in the relegation zone, and on an inexorable slide without much of a chance of getting out of it (which, could, if we're truthful, be just 3 or 4 games away if things don't improve) then there's no meaningful argument for him to go. But the main reason for this is that he was a good second and third tier manager for us who deserves his chance.

But there are some reasons for keeping him which just don't add up:

a. That there are no alternatives (Moyes? Pulis?)

b. That all of our other managers have been rubbish since O'Neill (which makes the crazy assumption that, because Taylor, Bassett, Kelly, Allen, Megson and Holloway aren't much good, therefore hundreds of other managers, many of which have been relatively successful, must also be rubbish)

c. That we should give Pearson the whole season no matter what (boards simply don't sit back these days while managers get them relegated, regardless of how good they were last season or how limited the alternatives are - if they did Crystal Palace, Swansea, Southampton would probably be in the second tier now)

d. All will be fine (based on what aspect of NP's record in this league? Even in the Championship, we went on a run which - if replicated now - would see us relegated by Christmas)

The argument has to focus on which specific qualities of Pearson's make him the best man to keep us up. I believe that the stability he can bring (if he settles on a line-up), his rapport with the players, ability to potentially stabilise a leaky defence and eye for a bargain are those qualities. But we could do with less nonsense about there being no alternatives, or loads of other managers being rubbish, or Pearson deserving to be our manager until the end of time, or all our fans just needing to shut up and remind themselves that if you do nothing, everything will probably work out perfectly.

There's a lot of work to be done if we want to stay up. If he doesn't do it, then someone else will.

I think we should keep Pearson. Until we are in the relegation zone, and on an inexorable slide without much of a chance of getting out of it (which, could, if we're truthful, be just 3 or 4 games away if things don't improve) then there's no meaningful argument for him to go. But the main reason for this is that he was a good second and third tier manager for us who deserves his chance.

a. That there are no alternatives (Moyes? Pulis?)

b. That all of our other managers have been rubbish since O'Neill (which makes the crazy assumption that, because Taylor, Bassett, Kelly, Allen, Megson and Holloway aren't much good, therefore hundreds of other managers, many of which have been relatively successful, must also be rubbish)

c. That we should give Pearson the whole season no matter what (boards simply don't sit back these days while managers get them relegated, regardless of how good they were last season or how limited the alternatives are - if they did Crystal Palace, Swansea, Southampton would probably be in the second tier now)

d. All will be fine (based on what aspect of NP's record in this league? Even in the Championship, we went on a run which - if replicated now - would see us relegated by Christmas)

The argument has to focus on which specific qualities of Pearson's make him the best man to keep us up. I believe that the stability he can bring (if he settles on a line-up), his rapport with the players, ability to potentially stabilise a leaky defence and eye for a bargain are those qualities. But we could do with less nonsense about there being no alternatives, or loads of other managers being rubbish, or Pearson deserving to be our manager until the end of time, or all our fans just needing to shut up and remind themselves that if you do nothing, everything will probably work out perfectly.

There's a lot of work to be done if we want to stay up. If he doesn't do it, then someone else will.

Good post

Good post

No ****ing awful post. 

3 maybe 4 average/bad games, and this is a genuine suggestion?

I'd like to ask people if we'd had those 3/4 bad games at the start of the season and we'd just taken a draw from Everton, Arsenal and beaten Stoke and Man United. Would people still be talking like this? No, of course they wouldn't. Football fans are outrageously fickle these days, some of you lot are worse than the Leeds chairman.

I've put it before on another thread, I fully trust Pearson and hope he can change our fortunes and get us playing back to our strengths like at the start of the season.

My only worry is that IMO Pearson doesn't come across as a motivator and with our team looking very flat I'm hoping he can pick them up and raise their games again.

Just thinking back couple of seasons ago when we went on that abysmal run, we looked very flat and low on confidence then and scrapped into play offs, to me that season reminded that Pearson didn't have the answers how to pick them up.

Hope I'm wrong though

How about picking it apart and saying what's wrong in there?

Ok I shall. 

a. That there are no alternatives (Moyes? Pulis?) MEGALOLZ.

b. That all of our other managers have been rubbish since O'Neill (which makes the crazy assumption that, because Taylor, Bassett, Kelly, Allen, Megson and Holloway aren't much good, therefore hundreds of other managers, many of which have been relatively successful, must also be rubbish) Don't understand the point being made here, not ever sure he does.

c. That we should give Pearson the whole season no matter what (boards simply don't sit back these days while managers get them relegated, regardless of how good they were last season or how limited the alternatives are - if they did Crystal Palace, Swansea, Southampton would probably be in the second tier now)  Silly argument, I could give you a list far bigger of clubs that have sacked their manager and have been relegated (QPR/Warnock, Reading/McDermott, Norwich/Hughton, Fulham/Jol & Muelensteen, Cardiff/Mackay, and that is just in the last couple of years. Also to suggest Southampton would have gone down without sacking Adkins is clutching at straws to say the least. I genuinely believe a lot of people here think that because Southampton sacked him and are now second, that is the blueprint to success and we should do the same. 

d. All will be fine (based on what aspect of NP's record in this league? Even in the Championship, we went on a run which - if replicated now - would see us relegated by Christmas) This is what bothers me the most, why do people have absolutely no respect for the bloke? Are people just bored of him? People wanted him sacked after the Watford game, people wanted him sacked last December after losing a few. We've seen it all before, just give the guy a ****ing break. He is the reason we are in the Prem, he is the reason our team spirit is the best it's been for years, he is the reason we started the season so well.

When things are going well, (you know, like 3/4 weeks ago?), we watch the tunnel cam videos and he is an absolute god on here, now after a few bad results everything he does is wrong. Just piss off. 

It will be fine? 3 have to go down you know, and we don't look like picking 3 points up any time soon on current form.

Please explain where your optimism comes from?

Because the season has only really just started PEARSON won't let us perform too many games like Swansea (hopefully

Why are there so many doom and gloom merchants we play a few crap games and loose a few games but !!

ITS NOT THE END OF OUR SEASON YET WE KNEW it wouldn't be an easy league to compete in and who thought we would collect a point against Everton and arsenal we were unlucky against Chelsea we tired earlier than them and the quality showed and if Nuge would have put that goal away who knows how it would had finished? And then to think we would come back from 3-1 down and then beat Manchester Utd's galacticos and end up beating them 5-3 I for one saw those fixtures and thought great what a baptism of fire I didn't think we'd get much from those first few but hey we overachieved by some pundits but please have faith in PEARSON he'll get it right and we will survive then we can build on wherever we finish like I said no lower than 16th but I'm sure PEARSON has some January targets and yes I am optimistic but why worry until the new year if we're in a relegation scrap come January im sure the board and the owners will step in and do what's needed !!

But in the mean time lets just get behind PEARSON and the lads as ever !!

This whole thread is a storm in a tea cup. By answering the minority who are questioning if Pearson should be sacked all you are doing is giving the subject attention.

It's a non starter - this is well and truly his team which is built around team spirit, work ethic and respect. To change anything significant at this stage would have a hugely negative effect and condemn us to relegation.

Archived