Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Bilo

Southampton away

Can we do the 'Lets pretend we've scored a goal' thing, and go properly mental? Looked class last time Spurs did it, will lighten the mood when we're 3-0 down on the hour, will pick up the whole away end and will be the closest thing to celebrating a goal we will be doing for a while.

Should start the "Ole!"'s when we complete a pass.

I don't think Southampton should be worried about Nugent. He apparently "loves a goal" against most clubs, but then comes on and looks less of a goal threat than Kasper.

I can believe that. I've mentioned in another thread that I wouldn't mind if Nugent plays this weekend. Purely because he will be bang up for it against Southampton being a former Pompey player. He's had quite abit of stick from their fans in the past too and we saw what happened last time he played there.

Yeh remember the last game, had a great time at work.......think we got a free pie and scarf as well. top night , same again ..... coyb's

Slightly different circumstances but I fancy an upset a bit like when we beat them few years back with Mills and Nugent scoring. Nugent, I would imagine will be getting booed due to his Pompey days (well did when we beat them and he scored) and I can quite imagine he will thrive off that a lot more.

I do fancy us to get a result, but I am going with low expectations. A full committed performance, unlike the Swansea mess I would expect as a minimum. Hopefully Nige will get his team right this time, I think Schlupp and Mahrez back in to add some width and pace from the team that played WBA.

Kasper

Simpson Morgan Was Konch

James Hammond

Mahrez Powell* Schlupp

Vardy

Start the game with Simpson instead of RDL, James and Hammond sitting in front, set up with a solid defensive 6, with Mahrez and Schlupp supporting the full backs and breaking quickly. I know Schlupp is a bit of a liability going forwards, but him and Konch are defensively solid and he may do something brilliant going forward and nick a goal.

Powell I have gone for as he looked hungry and full of energy went looking for the ball and could do the job of Nugent, his movement and attitude in his cameo on Saturday showed promise, although I would understand playing Nugent there.

I would have people looking for the ball over the top for Vardy, but not have that as our sole attacking outlet, we were too one dimensional against West Brom, either going wide or trying to play it in behind them, we had nobody capable of taking a player on beating a man and creating space for himself and others, which is why I think Mahrez must start, if he beats the full back then the centre half has to come across and cover Mahrez giving us more space in the middle. He is also more direct and will come inside and go for goal instead of putting a shit cross in.

Kasper

Simpson Morgan Was Konch

James Hammond

Mahrez Powell* Schlupp

Vardy

Start the game with Simpson instead of RDL, James and Hammond sitting in front, set up with a solid defensive 6, with Mahrez and Schlupp supporting the full backs and breaking quickly. I know Schlupp is a bit of a liability going forwards, but him and Konch are defensively solid and he may do something brilliant going forward and nick a goal.

Powell I have gone for as he looked hungry and full of energy went looking for the ball and could do the job of Nugent, his movement and attitude in his cameo on Saturday showed promise, although I would understand playing Nugent there.

I would have people looking for the ball over the top for Vardy, but not have that as our sole attacking outlet, we were too one dimensional against West Brom, either going wide or trying to play it in behind them, we had nobody capable of taking a player on beating a man and creating space for himself and others, which is why I think Mahrez must start, if he beats the full back then the centre half has to come across and cover Mahrez giving us more space in the middle. He is also more direct and will come inside and go for goal instead of putting a shit cross in.

Think I pretty much agree with that team, though I'd go for Schlupp LB and Albrighton LW. Would be nice to have a possible attacking presence on both sides of the pitch. Something for Southampton to think about. Could see Clyne having a field day on the overlap against the magic Konch shell.

Yeh remember the last game, had a great time at work.......think we got a free pie and scarf as well. top night , same again ..... coyb's

Yep, it was a gift from the owners to the fans who traveled down for the Monday night fixture. We had unreserved seating and the atmosphere was brilliant. It was also the birth of the We Love You song with the scarf thing for us.

Think I pretty much agree with that team, though I'd go for Schlupp LB and Albrighton LW. Would be nice to have a possible attacking presence on both sides of the pitch. Something for Southampton to think about. Could see Clyne having a field day on the overlap against the magic Konch shell.

Konch has looked shit since we stopped playing Jeff in front of him, it may be the formation, but I think Jeff gives him an easy out, and is always back supporting him so he doesn't get outnumbered. To be fair defensively isn't the problem with Konch, it is his brain freezes when he has the ball, some of his passing is woeful and as the most experienced player in the squad you would think he would be the most able to adapt to the prem.

Konch has looked shit since we stopped playing Jeff in front of him, it may be the formation, but I think Jeff gives him an easy out, and is always back supporting him so he doesn't get outnumbered. To be fair defensively isn't the problem with Konch, it is his brain freezes when he has the ball, some of his passing is woeful and as the most experienced player in the squad you would think he would be the most able to adapt to the prem.

He's probably a bit better defensively that Jeff but I think that it's a position where having physical attributes helps overcome lacking a little in terms of defensive ability. Glen Johnson has made a decent career from it. It'd just be nice to have the option of attacking down the left or right,

I'm sure De Laet would love to not be the only outlet as well. He's been a decent servant but it's got to be the number position to replace. Maybe Schlupples can step up to the plate, if not then I'm sure there are plenty out there capable of doing the job.

Wouldn't play Hammond in games against teams in and around us but like against Arsenal, Chelsea, etc I think he'd be effective in this game, wouldn't mind seeing him in and I think he may well be. I don't believe you should just 'play your best players' in every situation, some games and scenarios demand different types of players and Hammond is good at what he does when we're underdogs. Results and performances of the first 5 games speak for themselves. 

Wouldn't play Hammond in games against teams in and around us but like against Arsenal, Chelsea, etc I think he'd be effective in this game, wouldn't mind seeing him in and I think he may well be. I don't believe you should just 'play your best players' in every situation, some games and scenarios demand different types of players and Hammond is good at what he does when we're underdogs. Results and performances of the first 5 games speak for themselves.

You obviously havent been on the Southampton fans forum. Even their fans are saying we will give both Pearson and Hammond a great reception. I hope Hammond plays though, cos he aint very good.

Pubs before the game

Here's what you've all been waiting for. See you all in one of these, your round.

Yates Wine Lodge in the central shopping area. There were also a lot of away fans in the Slug & Lettuce next door'. Away fans should avoid pubs along St Marys Street such as the Kingsland Tavern, Joiners and Isobar. Please remember though that if you do drink in the centre, that the stadium is a good twenty minute walk away.

Yates's, Southampton

113-117 Above Bar Street

Southampton

Hampshire

SO14 7FH

The Slug And Lettuce, Southampton

103–105 Above Bar Street

Southampton

Hampshire

SO14 7FG

Saints fan - in my house FFS! - has just said both pubs are about a 10 minute walk from the ground - and she's a girl!!

And the whole of their Northam End stand, so any crap from the stewards, we give it "When they sit we sit"

Looking on Saints web for anyone travelling on Saturday you should be able to pick up a Saints Foxes alliance badge.

Some of them have a real love in for us lol lol

What the hell? didn't they hate us cause of nuge when we beat them home and away 2 seasons ago?

Can't believe people are actually thinking about playing Hammond as well, must be the ultimate example of becoming better while you're not playing, somehow he's turned into Lahm.

Kasper

Simpson

Was

Morgan

Jeffrey

Mahrez

James

Drinkwater

Albrighton

Ulloa

Vardy

Simpson to anchor the right hand side defensively to let Riyad do what he wants. Reckon Albrighton and Jeffers would complement eachother well, overlapping a la Konch and Dyer in better times. Should lead to good service to Ulloa, while Vardy causes trouble.

Hammond is reliable on what he does he wins the ball breaks up attacks and passes on the ball. Drinkwater has been poor his decision making has been poor and he has been giving away possession too easily. I think he needs to be dropped to sort his head out. Cambiasso I'm still bit unsure on how best to use him, in theory our best midfield is James Drinkwater and Cambiasso but at the moment it isn't working, Hammond who isn't as good as the other players has been more effective and more importantly reliable than any of our other midfielders. He has his limitations but they are known and can be accounted for as long as every other player performs reliably and as expected.

I swear now, if Nugent starts this game, I have lost complete faith in the selection process... We need to start playing with flair, as much as I admire and respect Nugent, his role this game is reduced to rubble. Feed Vardy more through balls please, let him link with Mahrez too, stop separating them. This pair will cut formations up!!!

Archived