Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Thommo

Has Anyone Booked a Holiday Yet?

8 minutes ago, ousefox said:

Can anybody give me anything other than the obvious they liked doing in Venice? We only have two nights there but would be nice to do something a little different if we have the time.

I'm not sure if it counts as 'other than the obvious' but Murano and Burano are nice islands. Murano is a teeny bit less touristy, has an amazing cathedral with Byzantine mosaic floors and is next to a great pizzeria / pub (drink Menabrea or Poretti, two semi-local half-decent beers). Torcello is another island away from the main city, and its cathedral is the oldest in the lagoon and contains amazing mosaics. 

Cannaregio is one of my favourite parts of the city, you can get away from the crowds and explore some parts that seem more authentic. Madonna dell'Orto is a great church to visit if you're into that kind of thing. Even if you're not, it's still a very atmospheric place. Contains the tomb of Tintoretto and his Last Judgement paintings. Go to a little Osteria for lunch, get tapas style portions of Italian food and a glass of white wine. Osteria al Ponte is a good one next to the church of Giovanni e Paolo (not the Beatles), which contains a pretty morbid memorial to General Bragadin (I'll let you google it).

The markets are quite colourful and you can hear the local dialect and get a bit of the working class flavour of the city. Also about eating, go to a restaurant on Fondamente Misericordia for a good meal by a peaceful canal without too much of the overpriced tourist shit you get in some. A La Papussa and Paradiso Perduto are good ones. 

Padova and Vicenza are good places nearby. Padova contains some real artistic treasures. 

I love Venice. Love to just wander the backstreets and see where I end up. It's a beautiful city. 

6 hours ago, bovril said:

I'm not sure if it counts as 'other than the obvious' but Murano and Burano are nice islands. Murano is a teeny bit less touristy, has an amazing cathedral with Byzantine mosaic floors and is next to a great pizzeria / pub (drink Menabrea or Poretti, two semi-local half-decent beers). Torcello is another island away from the main city, and its cathedral is the oldest in the lagoon and contains amazing mosaics. 

Cannaregio is one of my favourite parts of the city, you can get away from the crowds and explore some parts that seem more authentic. Madonna dell'Orto is a great church to visit if you're into that kind of thing. Even if you're not, it's still a very atmospheric place. Contains the tomb of Tintoretto and his Last Judgement paintings. Go to a little Osteria for lunch, get tapas style portions of Italian food and a glass of white wine. Osteria al Ponte is a good one next to the church of Giovanni e Paolo (not the Beatles), which contains a pretty morbid memorial to General Bragadin (I'll let you google it).

The markets are quite colourful and you can hear the local dialect and get a bit of the working class flavour of the city. Also about eating, go to a restaurant on Fondamente Misericordia for a good meal by a peaceful canal without too much of the overpriced tourist shit you get in some. A La Papussa and Paradiso Perduto are good ones. 

Padova and Vicenza are good places nearby. Padova contains some real artistic treasures. 

I love Venice. Love to just wander the backstreets and see where I end up. It's a beautiful city. 

Brilliant - thank you!

4 hours ago, bovril said:

If I remember correctly you're travelling around a bit? Where else you got planned?

Correct yes. In June I have the big trip with my mates. Going back to Philadelphia and NYC for my sister's graduation in May but find myself struggling to get excited about the states.

Munich

Hallstatt

Ljubljana

Trieste

Venice

Verona

Florence

Then fly back from Pisa.

I've been to Florence twice before (same with Pisa unfortunately!) but everywhere else will be new to me. Any advice Google wouldn't tell me is greatly received!

Also good tip on Menabrea - better than most beers you'll find definitely! Will have to try Poretti!

Edited by ousefox

18 hours ago, ousefox said:

Correct yes. In June I have the big trip with my mates. Going back to Philadelphia and NYC for my sister's graduation in May but find myself struggling to get excited about the states.

Munich

Hallstatt

Ljubljana

Trieste

Venice

Verona

Florence

Then fly back from Pisa.

I've been to Florence twice before (same with Pisa unfortunately!) but everywhere else will be new to me. Any advice Google wouldn't tell me is greatly received!

Also good tip on Menabrea - better than most beers you'll find definitely! Will have to try Poretti!

The funicular to Villa Opicina from Trieste is a nice thing to do. There are walks from there and you can visit some Osmiza, like a trattoria cum agriturismo type place. Trieste isn't thrilling but I love the atmosphere and it's a nice place to relax with a book for a few days which is always good in the middle of big trip. In terms of food, Buffet Da Pepi is an institution. 

Pizzeria Bella Napoli is a good place in Verona run by southern Italians. And it's quite central. Trattoria al Pompiere is also good (though expensive). I still know some people living there so I can ask them for good, cheap eats as I know when you're travelling you need to stretch the money further. Verona's a place worth staying in for a while as there are loads of good day trips nearby. 

Two places that are not so famous in Florence (but you probably know if you've been twice) are Santa Felicita church just over Ponte Vecchio and Museo di San Marco just north of the centre. Santa Felicita contains Pomtormo's Deposition which is a stunning painting, and San Marco is home to Fra Angelico's Annunciation. Trattoria da Benvenuto is one of my favourite places to eat. I tried the cow's stomach sandwich in the market but couldn't finish it, and I usually love shit like that. The only people woolfing it down were Chinese tourists. It was quite funny / depressing to watch them polish it off while the American students bought one, took a selfie, then threw it away whole. 

The patron saint of Pisa, as you may know, is St. Ranieri. Patron saint of travellers, and his feast day is in June. 

Edited by bovril

2 hours ago, bovril said:

The funicular to Villa Opicina from Trieste is a nice thing to do. There are walks from there and you can visit some Osmiza, like a trattoria cum agriturismo type place. Trieste isn't thrilling but I love the atmosphere and it's a nice place to relax with a book for a few days which is always good in the middle of big trip. In terms of food, Buffet Da Pepi is an institution. 

Pizzeria Bella Napoli is a good place in Verona run by southern Italians. And it's quite central. Trattoria al Pompiere is also good (though expensive). I still know some people living there so I can ask them for good, cheap eats as I know when you're travelling you need to stretch the money further. Verona's a place worth staying in for a while as there are loads of good day trips nearby. 

Two places that are not so famous in Florence (but you probably know if you've been twice) are Santa Felicita church just over Ponte Vecchio and Museo di San Marco just north of the centre. Santa Felicita contains Pomtormo's Deposition which is a stunning painting, and San Marco is home to Fra Angelico's Annunciation. Trattoria da Benvenuto is one of my favourite places to eat. I tried the cow's stomach sandwich in the market but couldn't finish it, and I usually love shit like that. The only people woolfing it down were Chinese tourists. It was quite funny / depressing to watch them polish it off while the American students bought one, took a selfie, then threw it away whole. 

The patron saint of Pisa, as you may know, is St. Ranieri. Patron saint of travellers, and his feast day is in June. 

Seems like I should consult you before every trip I make in the future ? thanks very much. I read about the funicular in Trieste and wondered whether it was worth doing. I was reading Paul Theroux recently and he didn't seem to think much of Trieste at all but it seems like a fascinating place to me.

I'll get Santa Felicita on my list. Did San Marco last time - managed to get about 5 minutes alone with the Annunciation. Truly beautiful painting. TBF I was actually shocked how impressed I was by David in real life. I just wasn't expecting it to be so perfect.

Yes I won't be going near cow stomach! Haha I went in October 2016 so was well aware of St Ranieri!

Thanks again - I'll write a list of the food places.

1 hour ago, ousefox said:

Seems like I should consult you before every trip I make in the future

Not if it's outside Italy or the Balkans.

I lived in Trentino for a while and it's quite a boring place to live when you're youngish and single, so I travelled almost every weekend and know Italy very well. I still go back as often as possible because pretty much every region and even every town is worth visiting. 

Edited by bovril
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, bovril said:

Thanks, but I think all of my posts are on the same four or five places. 

Oh stop being so modest :blush:

You're FT's very own Judith Chalmers :D

Just now, Izzy said:

Oh stop being so modest :blush:

You're FT's very own Judith Chalmers :D

It's true though. The most I can manage on a plane is about two and a half hours which is a shame because I'd love to go to the US, India and the Far East. 

1 minute ago, bovril said:

It's true though. The most I can manage on a plane is about two and a half hours which is a shame because I'd love to go to the US, India and the Far East. 

On a serious note, what's the reason you can't fly long haul out of curiosity? Must be gutting that you can't see the rest of the world :unsure:

Just now, Izzy said:

On a serious note, what's the reason you can't fly long haul out of curiosity? Must be gutting that you can't see the rest of the world :unsure:

I really don't like it, get very anxious, can't concentrate on anything. I looked into boats to the US but it's ludicrously expensive and takes at least a week one way. I'll manage to do it one day I suppose. 

4 minutes ago, bovril said:

I really don't like it, get very anxious, can't concentrate on anything. I looked into boats to the US but it's ludicrously expensive and takes at least a week one way. I'll manage to do it one day I suppose. 

Genuinely sorry to hear that. I'm sure you've considered sleeping pills, tranquilizers etc.

Seems such a shame that someone who clearly loves travel so much is restricted somewhat. I hope you manage to spread your wings one day mate.

10 hours ago, bovril said:

India overland is still just about doable if you have the time.

41 minutes ago, Buce said:

India overland is still just about doable if you have the time.

Yeah I would like to do a big trip like that. Hoping to go to Iran at some point in 2020 and considering doing it overland. Just costs so much though.

1 minute ago, bovril said:

Yeah I would like to do a big trip like that. Hoping to go to Iran at some point in 2020 and considering doing it overland. Just costs so much though.

It doesn't have to, mate. One of the reasons I travel the way I do is to minimise costs and get more miles/days for my money.

And if camping really isn't your thing there are still cheap options - have you ever come across this?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, bovril said:

bro the race across the world tele programme they went from london to singapore without using a plane for like 2 grand. looked well fun. 

21 hours ago, bovril said:

I was surprised to read this from a traveller. I really struggle with any amount of time on a plane and its so annoying as I would love to go to Iran and South America and Japan etc at some point but yeah having to spend an extended time on a plane feels like a living nightmare for me. No idea how I'll ever manage it but I hope you make it one day as its well shit feeling inhibited by it.