Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Thommo

Has Anyone Booked a Holiday Yet?

Recommended Posts

37 minutes ago, Kopfkino said:

I was surprised to read this from a traveller. I really struggle with any amount of time on a plane and its so annoying as I would love to go to Iran and South America and Japan etc at some point but yeah having to spend an extended time on a plane feels like a living nightmare for me. No idea how I'll ever manage it but I hope you make it one day as its well shit feeling inhibited by it. 

It's ridiculous really because I'm sure long haul flights are safer than short haul (which are obviously also perfectly safe). I reckon I could manage a flight to Tehran which is about 5 hours and not over any ocean, then come back over land. 

Edited by bovril

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, bovril said:

It's ridiculous really because I'm sure long haul flights are safer than short haul (which are obviously also perfectly safe). I reckon I could make it to Tehran which is about 5 hours and not over any ocean, then come back over land. 

 

You said you are ok with under 2/3 hours - have you considered short hops?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Buce said:

 

You said you are ok with under 2/3 hours - have you considered short hops?

Nah that would be worse, rather just get through it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, bovril said:

Nah that would be worse, rather just get through it. 

 

Tbh, mate, I hate flying too. Scares me shitless. But if I couldn't travel, life would be so crap that I might as well be dead anyway, so I take a valium, shut my eyes and brave it.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Buce said:

 

Tbh, mate, I hate flying too. Scares me shitless. But if I couldn't travel, life would be so crap that I might as well be dead anyway, so I take a valium, shut my eyes and brave it.

Exactly. And I regularly do things that are much higher health risks than flying so avoiding it completely seems would be absurd. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, bovril said:

Exactly. And I regularly do things that are much higher health risks than flying so avoiding it completely seems would be absurd. 

 

That's the real irony.

 

When I fly somewhere, what I'm travelling to do is usually inherently more dangerous than how I'm getting there - yet I don't give those things a second thought. I guess that has something to do with feeling in control - whatever I do, I can mitigate the risks by the decisions I take but on a plane, I can't.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Buce said:

 

That's the real irony.

 

When I fly somewhere, what I'm travelling to do is usually inherently more dangerous than how I'm getting there - yet I don't give those things a second thought. I guess that has something to do with feeling in control - whatever I do, I can mitigate the risks by the decisions I take but on a plane, I can't.

I've travelled by bus many times in the Middle East and Turkey. Now that's a dangerous way to travel - see the recent crash involving the Turkish football team. I remember one time travelling from Antakya to Ankara being convinced we were about to crash and remaining pretty calm about it. Yet I get anxious just booking plane tickets. Ironic, as you said. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I travelled by bus a lot in Cambodia and that’s something I really don’t fancy replicating. Driver going on the wrong side of the road... in the dark... in the hills... at about 70 miles an hour... on things you would barely class as roads. We were meant to do the sleeper bus for the same leg but we were strongly advised against it and this was classed at the safer option.

 

It was also their equivalent of a Yodel as well as a public transport which was pretty cool for 10 hours with no room. Some poor bloke ended up sat on a kids pink plastic seat in the isle as it was oversold! Lol.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, bovril said:

I've travelled by bus many times in the Middle East and Turkey. Now that's a dangerous way to travel - see the recent crash involving the Turkish football team. I remember one time travelling from Antakya to Ankara being convinced we were about to crash and remaining pretty calm about it. Yet I get anxious just booking plane tickets. Ironic, as you said. 

 

Wait till you ride on the roof an Indian train, mate - flying doesn’t seem quite so bad after that... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Halfway up an Ecuadorean mountain going over a wooden bridge on a coach was pretty scary. Especially as the original bridge adjacent to it had fallen apart in a landslide  lol 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Off to Valencia on a 4 day stag (4 days, yeah I know...) tomorrow.


First holiday I've been on since I went to Madrid for the CL so I'm buzzing for some sunshine and beers :beer::knockyhat:

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Been to Malta and a four day wedding in Ireland and have nothing else booked.

 

Am thinking of taking the kids age 3 and 8 to a kid friendly small festival. 

 

Does anyone have any experience of this? I'm paranoid I'll lose a child or spending the whole time wishing I never bought them.

Edited by Grebfromgrebland

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Costock_Fox said:

Fully recommend a trip to Skye and Harris, absolutely stunning (the pic is Harris)

65ED8A90-7438-4798-A4DE-07A5C65DDBFB.jpeg

 

Stunning, mate.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Buce said:

 

Stunning, mate.

Have you been? The beaches are madness, got some cracking footage on my drone.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Costock_Fox said:

Have you been? The beaches are madness, got some cracking footage on my drone.

 

I haven't mate.

 

In fact, apart from hiking the Highland Way, I've seen barely anything of Scotland.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 29/04/2019 at 22:57, bovril said:

I really don't like it, get very anxious, can't concentrate on anything. I looked into boats to the US but it's ludicrously expensive and takes at least a week one way. I'll manage to do it one day I suppose. 

I believe has a traveller,if you have any decent " time " on your hands. Then busses ,trains & boats,can still take you a long way...one can

mix with the locals,always great sources for the unknown & pleasantly suprising

 

Though Post-ships in known areas,have become expensive,there are other "untouched" parts of the world & Europe that can "give" if one is preparedt o do the graff/ leg work of looking,asking,using both the negative as well as the positive as part of the journey/travelling experience.

 

Even in Western Europe,many countries have budget bus/train travel. or just local trains/busses...

  One can use the rivers,to traverse parts of many of the various  countries.

Locals sometimes use the small passenger vessels,as their taxis...Or has a picnicking/visiting day trip...where few foreign tourists wouldnt even bother.

 

Because I had to pullback on my travelling a few years ago,I haven't bothered with links,things change rapidly ( not always negative).

Even being prepared to 1) hiring bikes,2) Shanks's pony...3) local organised car sharing. Even across borders..!!

it's more about,open up your mind to "your own" ideas...

jump on a plane...take your 1-2 hours. Get yourself out of the airport(must not be the next big city!!!) ...Now start your travels,without booking a thing!!

Or..pre-book. 1/2/3 nights to kick start your travelling. It can be more relaxing not knowing what to expect!!

the possibilities are endless,and kids are more flexible as we give them credit for.

 

Edited by fuchsntf
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

New Orleans two weeks tomorrow, mega excited. Three gigs lined up plus a second line parade through the streets on the Sunday. Also booked a Bayou swamp tour and a grave yard tour at night that says bring beer. The rest of the tine spent eating and listening to more of the music there.. Not been this pumped for a trip in ages. 

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dubrovnik for a week in July,looking forward to visiting Kings Landing

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Prague with the lads in October for a weekend. Nothing yet planned with her indoors... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 29/04/2019 at 21:57, bovril said:

I really don't like it, get very anxious, can't concentrate on anything. I looked into boats to the US but it's ludicrously expensive and takes at least a week one way. I'll manage to do it one day I suppose. 

 

On 30/04/2019 at 19:07, Kopfkino said:

I was surprised to read this from a traveller. I really struggle with any amount of time on a plane and its so annoying as I would love to go to Iran and South America and Japan etc at some point but yeah having to spend an extended time on a plane feels like a living nightmare for me. No idea how I'll ever manage it but I hope you make it one day as its well shit feeling inhibited by it. 

Do you drink? I know it's cliché but a drinking session really is the best way to get a long haul done if you do.

 

I did London to Auckland a few years back straight with Hong Kong and Melbourne on the way (about 30 hours all in) and you can just get yourself into a daze if you can drink heavily and still pass off being soberish.

Edited by MattP

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 09/05/2019 at 19:24, adam1 said:

Prague with the lads in October for a weekend. Nothing yet planned with her indoors... 

Good to see you've got your priorities right :thumbup:

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Buce said:

 

Hey, @bovril.

 

I think you may be interested in this.

Thanks!

I've looked at this before, and I'd love to do it. Was going to go to do it when I lived in Sofia but never did. Furthest I got was to Eastern Anatolia which is incredible anyway. Little valleys on the way to the Caucasus with ruined Armenian and Georgian churches hidden in the overgrowth. Landscapes like something out of a late 19th century engraving of the Middle East. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...