Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Thommo

Has Anyone Booked a Holiday Yet?

11 minutes ago, Voll Blau said:

Dubrovnik is great, but don't expect sandy beaches. There are lovely seafront places to relax and steps into the sea if you want to swim, but not sand. The only sandy beach I can recall in the area is on a little island a short ferry ride away.

That said, I wouldn't let a lack of sand be a dealbreaker for you. Dubrovnik is an amazing place with lots to enjoy, and plenty of places for relaxation too.

1 minute ago, Filbert_Ross said:

We stayed within the Dubrovnik walls for 3 nights then got boat to Lopud about half hour away. Stayed there for about 10 nights. Well chilled out there. sunj beach is nice on the island. 

Thanks both. It looks great although I am reading some horror stories about it being too crowded in the peak months. Hopefully our plan to go end of May will mitigate this somewhat.

1 hour ago, stripeyfox said:

Thanks both. It looks great although I am reading some horror stories about it being too crowded in the peak months. Hopefully our plan to go end of May will mitigate this somewhat.

May you should be fine I think, we went early May and had no trouble. We did a walking tour of the Old Town and our guide told us they operate a "one in, one out" person policy there in the summer sometimes, which I can imagine would be horrific. If you can see in the port (new one, not old one) that there are two or three cruise ships in on the same day, I'd definitely avoid the centre and chill out elsewhere.

Edited by Voll Blau

47 minutes ago, Voll Blau said:

May you should be fine I think, we went early May and had no trouble. We did a walking tour of the Old Town and our guide told us they operate a "one in, one out" person policy there in the summer sometimes, which I can imagine would be horrific. If you can see in the port (new one, not old one) that there are two or three cruise ships in on the same day, I'd definitely avoid the centre and chill out elsewhere.

Yes I think the cruise ships are the problem. If three arrive at the same time (which they do apparently) then that can dump 10000 people in the town in one go. But they bugger off back to the ship by teatime so the evenings should be quieter hopefully!

1 hour ago, stripeyfox said:

I went to Dubrovnik in early May a few years ago and it wasn’t too busy.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Costock_Fox said:

I went to Dubrovnik in early May a few years ago and it wasn’t too busy.

that's good then. Don't like it too crowded. Also July and August would be too hot for me.

Anyhow, booked a nice airbnb villa with pool in a place called Mlini, a few km from the old town. £ 600 for 10 nights! Just need to book the flights now!

On 21/05/2019 at 11:04, stripeyfox said:

that's good then. Don't like it too crowded. Also July and August would be too hot for me.

Anyhow, booked a nice airbnb villa with pool in a place called Mlini, a few km from the old town. £ 600 for 10 nights! Just need to book the flights now!

That seems a ridiculously cheap price mate :o

I've never used airbnb before but considering it this time around. Have you had good experiences with it in the past and is there anything to look out for?

I'll just add I've stayed in probably about 15 Airbnb's in the past 2 years all over Europe and not had a bad experience. In fact it's been brilliant. Great prices and superb flats/homes. Like any holiday just do a bit of research, check reviews etc and its hard to go wrong. Any time I've found a dodgy one whilst searching, quick report to Airbnb support and it's gone.

Edited by Kopic
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Kopic said:

I'll just add I've stayed in probably about 15 Airbnb's in the past 2 years all over Europe and not had a bad experience. In fact it's been brilliant. Great prices and superb flats/homes. Like any holiday just do a bit of research, check reviews etc and its hard to go wrong. Any time I've found a dodgy one whilst searching, quick report to Airbnb support and it's gone.

Same and I trust it that much that I stayed in one in Cape Town. Never had an issue.

12 hours ago, Izzy said:

That seems a ridiculously cheap price mate :o

I've never used airbnb before but considering it this time around. Have you had good experiences with it in the past and is there anything to look out for?

12 hours ago, Buce said:

I've never used Airbnb before! So very nice to read the nightmare that some people have had. 

But in fairness I've had shit holidays from package companies in the past. As well as dodgy hotels and cottages. I even booked an apartment in London on Booking.com with grand views of the Thames which turned out to not exist and we were "upgraded" to a flat in Millwall! So I guess it's not only Airbnb that can be dodgy. Hopefully..... 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, stripeyfox said:

I've never used Airbnb before! So very nice to read the nightmare that some people have had. 

But in fairness I've had shit holidays from package companies in the past. As well as dodgy hotels and cottages. I even booked an apartment in London on Booking.com with grand views of the Thames which turned out to not exist and we were "upgraded" to a flat in Millwall! So I guess it's not only Airbnb that can be dodgy. Hopefully..... 

Also tbf mate, Airbnb is used millions of times a month and some people of those nightmares were already getting a bit whiny by the last few. The one in Venice for instance, she got shouted at in Italian for being to early. Has she met Italians before? I love Italy but that’s just how they are in my experience, it’s not personal.

6 minutes ago, stripeyfox said:

I've never used Airbnb personally, and I note that many people use them without issue, but in researching it I have come across more bad stories than I would consider statistically acceptable.

Take a look at this, for example, https://www.asherfergusson.com/airbnb/

Stayed in airbnbs all over the world. Hit and miss, some great value but some where I wish I'd just forked out for a hotel. I prefer hotels as I like the trappings, room cleaning, privacy etc. Personally I wouldn't trust airbnb reviews, even mediocre places with normal hosts seem to have five star 'sooooo awesome Cara a was a great host love it!!!' type reviews

1 hour ago, Strokes said:

Also tbf mate, Airbnb is used millions of times a month and some people of those nightmares were already getting a bit whiny by the last few. The one in Venice for instance, she got shouted at in Italian for being to early. Has she met Italians before? I love Italy but that’s just how they are in my experience, it’s not personal.

I remember being sat in a bar in Greece one time and I was convinced that two of the customers were about to kill each other, they were shouting and gesticulating so much. It turned out they were just discussing football. lol

On 16/02/2019 at 05:16, CollinsLCFC said:

Returned from Vegas just over 2 weeks ago and still having deep holiday blues. 

What an amazing place. Stayed at the Strat for 4 nights and moved on to the Venetian for the remaining 3. Loved every second and will definitely go back in the future. 

Now I'm looking to book a summer holiday, we are debating an all inclusive as we have never been. I'm not a stay by the pool all day type of person and like to get out and about, is an all inclusive worth it? Any recommendations? 

I Jumped off the Strat  :) Fun 

On 18/02/2019 at 07:05, Dr The Singh said:

Thinking about going Washington DC in summer, anybody been,?

Went last year, amazing place with a million places to see, highly recommend the MLK memorial. Also... you can go for a tour of the White house, its amazing but quite a hassle, but well worth it in my opinion.. if youd like to know more about it... drop me a message ill try to help :)

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Buce said:

I remember being sat in a bar in Greece one time and I was convinced that two of the customers were about to kill each other, they were shouting and gesticulating so much. It turned out they were just discussing football. lol

Tell me about it, Mediterranean’s love a good heated debate :D

2 hours ago, Costock_Fox said:

Nutters.

Whats the city itself like? Other than expensive, obviously.

Really cool, great mixture of traditional and interesting modern architecture. The hills all around it are nice as well. Never been anywhere so pro-British either 

• Like 1