Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Thommo

Has Anyone Booked a Holiday Yet?

1 hour ago, Soup said:

Anyone been to Chicago?  Got an unexpected full day here due to a missed connection. Might as well see a little of the city instead of hanging around the airport. 

Yes. I really recommend the architecture river boat tour. Great way to see the city. 

• Like 1

Just now, Soup said:

Great thanks. Got plenty of time today so will try and jump on that.

We caught the subway from O'Hare to one of the main stops at the loop and then it was about a 20 minute walk from there. If you can do one which starts at dusk, that's the way to go! 

• Like 1

On 02/06/2019 at 16:49, rachhere said:

We caught the subway from O'Hare to one of the main stops at the loop and then it was about a 20 minute walk from there. If you can do one which starts at dusk, that's the way to go! 

Thanks for the tip. Didn't do the river tour as we over spent at lunch but jumped on a river taxi as it was cheaper.

Incredible way to see the city and in hindsight we should've booked a night there anyway as it was such a cool place. 

4 minutes ago, Soup said:

Thanks for the tip. Didn't do the river tour as we over spent at lunch but jumped on a river taxi as it was cheaper.

Incredible way to see the city and in hindsight we should've booked a night there anyway as it was such a cool place. 

That sounds like a good compromise! Yes it is definitely a city that needs to be seen from the river. I was fortunate enough to have a half day there recently after a work trip, and loved it!

I'm off to Vancouver in less than a month and have sorted feck all apart from flights and where I'm staying with a friend. We're planning to take a couple of trips out of the city (and maybe stay 1 or 2 nights in a couple of different places). Other than Victoria and Whistler, does anyone have any recommendations? 

On 04/06/2019 at 12:12, rachhere said:

That sounds like a good compromise! Yes it is definitely a city that needs to be seen from the river. I was fortunate enough to have a half day there recently after a work trip, and loved it!

In my. Good ol' days, I lived and worked in Chicago for over 2 years.....

Rivertours or from Navypier chicago-skyline boat tour....Riverwalk,use your legs!! Or rent a bike or walk the lakefront trail.

if you have time...go to an area called 'Devon"...some great Indian /Asian/ all world  restaurants,sometimes with good buffets.

American cuisine restaurants,can be a pleasant suprise,but one has to ask around,what's the new flavour of the month.

decent choice of steak,or Surf n turf restaurants...

fast food......your in chicago hot dog capital of the world !!! Then the various hot dog places are a must,hot dogs served in all its variants.Plus

they have other dishes..massive beef sandwhiches,gyros,pulled pork,etc...but it's an indulgence..

Another Indulgence...Cajun/Creole.. Heaven on Seven....to be found on the loop.(closed Sundays) choice of the hottest chille sauces available..

Hancock tower. 95th floor,eating or just drinking...super view.ignore the buffet...when one thinks how slow the lifts are in 3-4 storey buildings

,this tower lift is speed of light in comparison.

Then something different Shaws crabhouse...you like sea food,here you are!!?

Get down to one of sporting venues...cubs, Bears,  Blackhawks, or Wolves.

Look for Grant park festivals, ( taste of chicago) or Navypier festivities or concerts.

If in Chicago at the time the **blues & jazz festival a must and free..Millennium park food & Drink stalls...good prices. A great afternoon and night guarranteed.!!

Chicago mob of crime tours..make your own choice...

Breakfasts...choice of various Irish pubs.but also look around,there are some other great breakfast diners.There are so many,it's enjoyable confusing yourself.

Chicago blues...

" Blue Chicago"...Kingston Mines..Rosa's lounge. See also  **

some nice to great  rooftop-bars...but since I was there there might be new ones and some good old ones gone,so look on internet.

Go to little italy  some old mafia restaurants or modernised old speakeasy drinkies.

Not faraway Irish bar fados,but  a personal favourite,but many years ago. Met and had a lazy half hour speaking to Tom hanks,over English football,and

Ireland & England generally.  3 hrs later just off Navy pier,bumped into Goldie hawn.....in a supermarket her pineapple rolled across the floor and our palm trees met. Next to the market was a cafe for the residents & outside guests.I had picked up a brochure from the Towers,she again came walking through seen I had the broschure,and thought I was interested,I told her I am window shopping,for when I win the lotto...she laughed sat down,noticed I was English...then a 20 minute

Lazy talk over a cafe and American scone. She seemed to like my quiet demour,because I didn't become star struck....

So a nice afternoon-evening closed out.

Edited by fuchsntf

42 minutes ago, egg_fried_rice said:

I'm off to Vancouver in less than a month and have sorted feck all apart from flights and where I'm staying with a friend. We're planning to take a couple of trips out of the city (and maybe stay 1 or 2 nights in a couple of different places). Other than Victoria and Whistler, does anyone have any recommendations? 

Visited Vancouver around 10/12 years ago. We got the ferry over to Vancouver Island and took the Killer Whale watching boat trip which was incredible. Highly recommended.

16 hours ago, BrummieFOX said:

Nipping to Granada for a long weekend. Any suggestions other than the Alhambra (?) which we'll obviously check out.

Albaicín, the old Arabic quarter just over the river from the Alahmbra, is a must, as is Sacromonte, the gypsy quarter.

• Like 1

On 05/06/2019 at 15:37, egg_fried_rice said:

I was on Vancouver island for Canada day few years back which is 1st July it's a week long party really good atmosphere, also hired a car and drove to Seattle it's only 2.5hrs from downtown Vancouver then got the ferry back to Vancouver island much better than the drive as you get to see whales, dolphins etc.

Whistler good as this time of year you get to ride the cable cars meant for skiers and are only 20ft or so above black/brown bear family's.

On 06/06/2019 at 07:30, Buce said:

Albaicín, the old Arabic quarter just over the river from the Alahmbra, is a must, as is Sacromonte, the gypsy quarter.

Thanks mate, I'll check those out.

Edited by BrummieFOX

On 05/06/2019 at 14:37, egg_fried_rice said:

I was there in April this year. Amazing place. I would do the capilano suspension bridge and go to whistler. The walk around the sea wall is a must too. I know some good bars and restaurants too if that’s your thing.

Been nearly 30 degrees all week in Morocco, I was doing well up until this morning and now after getting brave with some factor 15 tanning lotion today I’ve had to come to terms with the fact I look like Alan Brazil. 

4 hours ago, Unabomber said:

I was there in April this year. Amazing place. I would do the capilano suspension bridge and go to whistler. The walk around the sea wall is a must too. I know some good bars and restaurants too if that’s your thing.

Would love to hear some recommendations!

13 hours ago, egg_fried_rice said:

Would love to hear some recommendations!

There’s a bar called steamworks which is near the station downtown which is good with great beer.

black and blue is an amazing steakhouse.

the templeton is a old school diner which is very cool.

cactus club coal harbour is worth going for either a drink or food. It’s a great spot near the water.

It is also worth going to gastown which is a cool area with loads of bars and restaurants. Another place is south of downtown Granville Island there you get s little boat taxi across and there is a food market with loads of nice stalls. Over this side of town is th brewing district and the are loads of bars that brew their own beer. One you have to check out is called Craft beer market it is huge.

Edited by Unabomber
Bar called steamworks
  • Like 1

Last Tuesday we decided on a week to Italy , but couldnt make our mind up between Lake Garda or Sardinia . After much umming and erring the wife said she'd look into it and choose one on wednesday. Iget home wednesday evening and shes booked a week in fu--ing Scotland.........

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, woznotwos said:

Last Tuesday we decided on a week to Italy , but couldnt make our mind up between Lake Garda or Sardinia . After much umming and erring the wife said she'd look into it and choose one on wednesday. Iget home wednesday evening and shes booked a week in fu--ing Scotland.........

Got a link to that groupon voucher?

Thinking of booking a villa holiday this summer-  my girlfriend went on one two years ago with her family-  they all stayed in Mijas and it was a mixture of chilling and day trips to likes of Ronda.   We are looking for something similar  (5 adults)   but are flexible on whereabouts in Europe as long it is hot and have some cool historical sites/small towns/beaches nearby.   I know it is bit vague but do anyone have any recommendations?  

Edited by The Blur

4 minutes ago, The Blur said:

Thinking of booking a villa holiday this summer-  my girlfriend went on one two years ago with her family-  they all stayed in Mijas and it was a mixture of chilling and day trips to likes of Ronda.   We are looking for something similar  (5 adults)   but are flexible on whereabouts in Europe as long it is hot and have some cool historical sites/small towns/beaches nearby.   I know it is bit vague but do anyone have any recommendations?  

Not long come back from one just south of Lisbon. Great beaches to both the west and south. The one we had would be too big for 5, but judging by how quiet it was loads of the gaffs round there must be holiday lets

• Like 1