Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Thommo

Has Anyone Booked a Holiday Yet?

1 hour ago, Unabomber said:

Has anyone ever been to norway before in the fjords or mountains. I fancy it but have no idea where to start,

Bergen is a great starting place.

The Lofoten Islands are stunning. We flew to Bodø which was a nice small town. Crackers being there at 2.00am in bright sunlight.

3 minutes ago, Lcfc_lass10 said:

Has anyone been to Budapest? Never really considered it before but looking for a city break in July. 

Fantastic city, so much to do and see. Great public transport and everythings really cheap. I can't wait to go back.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Stuntman_Mike said:

Anyone been to Rio? 

I've found flights and accommodation for £450 for a week in September.  

I'm doing a bit of research on it but always nice to hear from personal experiences. 

Think @ScouseFox is currently out there so he should have some decent info once he's back id imagine.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Stuntman_Mike said:

Anyone been to Rio? 

I'm doing a bit of research on it but always nice to hear from personal experiences. 

Yes. Enjoyed it. So much more to do than sit on the Copacabana. Great people and food. Highlights were a favela night time drive (not for the faint hearted) and a game at the maracana

13 hours ago, Stuntman_Mike said:

Anyone been to Rio? 

Yes…. 

Impanema is the best area and Leblon is good 

However, You only need a couple of days in Rio…. Go up to Buzios and  go diving…. It’s such a cool little town - Bridgette Bardot used to holiday there- Stay In a Pousada

2 minutes ago, Lcfc_lass10 said:

Ah great! Is the city walkable? 

Most of the good stuff is pretty central and easy to navigate and walk to. To be honest one of my favourite things was just walking down the Danube after dark, seeing all the bridges and parliament lit up. Depends a little where you stay really but walking everywhere is fine. One thing I will mention is that just because the green man is on, still be careful crossing as cars can still turn right onto roads and a lot ignore zebra crossings. Took us by surprise the first time. We chose to use the public transport just to fit more in and go further afield as it was about £5 for a week ticket, that you can use on all trams, buses and the underground.

• Like 1

On 12/06/2019 at 07:19, Kopic said:

Most of the good stuff is pretty central and easy to navigate and walk to. To be honest one of my favourite things was just walking down the Danube after dark, seeing all the bridges and parliament lit up. Depends a little where you stay really but walking everywhere is fine. One thing I will mention is that just because the green man is on, still be careful crossing as cars can still turn right onto roads and a lot ignore zebra crossings. Took us by surprise the first time. We chose to use the public transport just to fit more in and go further afield as it was about £5 for a week ticket, that you can use on all trams, buses and the underground.

That’s brilliant, thank you for that! 

Likely to miss the Wolves match when it’s moved to the Sunday as I’m going to go away for 5 nights and probably looking at Majorca.

Has anyone got any recommendations for a nice hotel with a few bars/restaurants around near a beach? To be honest if it meets that criteria it doesn’t necessarily have to be Majorca. Cheers.

3 hours ago, Lcfc_lass10 said:

That’s brilliant, thank you for that! 

Went a couple of years ago and walked many miles. It's a great city for walking although it's very humid mid summer. The citadella is cool to explore and worth walking up if you're in good shape. The bars are amazing, Szimpla Kert and Grandio were the best. Also Szchenyi Baths are worth a morning or afternoon at as is the stunning Margaret Island. All in all an amazing city.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Costock_Fox said:

Likely to miss the Wolves match when it’s moved to the Sunday as I’m going to go away for 5 nights and probably looking at Majorca.

Has anyone got any recommendations for a nice hotel with a few bars/restaurants around near a beach? To be honest if it meets that criteria it doesn’t necessarily have to be Majorca. Cheers.

https://www.hotelcalador.com/en/

Decent hotel next to the beach in the best resort in Majorca.

Also, it's a shortish local bus ride from Mondragó natural park which, as well as having a beautiful sheltered beach with good swimming, also has several waymarked walks through the juniper forest there.

46 minutes ago, Buce said:

https://www.hotelcalador.com/en/

Decent hotel next to the beach in the best resort in Majorca.

Also, it's a shortish local bus ride from Mondragó natural park which, as well as having a beautiful sheltered beach with good swimming, also has several waymarked walks through the juniper forest there.

Cheers, looks decent.

Edit- I’ve actually suggested this one as a favourite but the O/H wasn’t keen. How big is the beach in front of the hotel? It looks a bit rocky.

1 hour ago, Costock_Fox said:

Cheers, looks decent.

Edit- I’ve actually suggested this one as a favourite but the O/H wasn’t keen. How big is the beach in front of the hotel? It looks a bit rocky.

Actually, I had a brain fart and linked you to the wrong hotel (and the wrong beach): this is the one I meant. The beach is Cala Gran beach, which is a soft, white sand beach in a sheltered cove (Google images 'Cala Gran beach'). That said, there are four or five beaches around the headland, all nice, all within twenty minutes walk. If you prefer the hotel I originally linked you to, it's literally a five minute walk from Cala Gran beach.

The resort itself is very classy* - good restaurants and bars and no nightclubs, so it attracts families and couples rather than groups.

*I'm sure you'll do your best to lower the tone... :D

Edited by Buce

5 hours ago, Buce said:

Actually, I had a brain fart and linked you to the wrong hotel (and the wrong beach): this is the one I meant. The beach is Cala Gran beach, which is a soft, white sand beach in a sheltered cove (Google images 'Cala Gran beach'). That said, there are four or five beaches around the headland, all nice, all within twenty minutes walk. If you prefer the hotel I originally linked you to, it's literally a five minute walk from Cala Gran beach.

The resort itself is very classy* - good restaurants and bars and no nightclubs, so it attracts families and couples rather than groups.

*I'm sure you'll do your best to lower the tone... :D

So this is one of the pictures on their website but it’s me that lowers the tone? 

8AAD2F3D-4FD5-4675-A9D8-332B9BDBDA0B.png

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, lifted*fox said:

just got back from another 2 weeks in the Philippines, beautiful place. 

found out I've got a £2000 tax credit incoming in next few days so I think I'm going to **** off to Vietnam for a month or two.

Cool, Philippines is next on my list now that Sri Lanka is ruled out. Any reccomendations?

Just now, Nalis said:

Cool, Philippines is next on my list now that Sri Lanka is ruled out. Any reccomendations?

check out an island called Bohol - visited twice. you'll probably want to stay in Alona, Panglao initially. I can link you with a couple of great accommodation options. 

if you're happy driving a motorbike / automatic scooter then you'll want to rent one. I can also link you with a guy who looks after me very well on prices for that.

check out Alona for a couple of days, head up to Carmen for the Chocolate Hills then stay somewhere in Anda for the white beaches and snorkelling / diving - if you're into that. Snorkelling is great, I swam with a giant turtle for several minutes - it was amazing. 

Once you're done in Anda you can get the ferry across to Camiguin which is a dormant volcano island. There's some cool waterfalls and springs to check there. You can either take the bike with you (tickets are a bitch to get from the port in Jagna) or you can ditch your rental bike and re-rent on the other side. 

The Philippines are beautiful and the people are friendly. You'll have no issues riding on their roads - mostly quiet and easy. Lemme know if you need any info / links. 

• Thanks 2

On 11/06/2019 at 08:56, Stuntman_Mike said:

Anyone been to Rio? 

I was there for a few days last year, amazing city... 

- Highlights included Christ The Redeemer, Sugarloaf Mountain, Football and drinks on Copacabana & Ipanema, sunset on Arpoador rocks overlooking Ipanema, watching Flamengo at the Maracana, nights out in Lapa, Selaron steps (all the typical things really.) 

A few tips... 

- It's a bit crazy coming out the airport, just head straight past everyone offering you a lift to the licensed taxis at the end on the left. 

- Don't be put off by all the doom & gloom stories and just apply common sense like you would anywhere. 

- Use uber, it's cheap and safe. 

- We did a game at the Maracana via Be A Local tours, hotel pick up and match ticket included in the price. I wouldn't really have wanted to get to this area on my own. 

-  Eat Acai in the morning and drink plenty of Caipirinhas & Antarctica beers! Especially out in Lapa 

- Look out for the city badge graffitied on the wall at the bottom of the Selaron Steps alongside a few brazilian clubs and Marseille. It's above a map of Brazil with a lot of names on it. I've no idea why this was here but loved to see it! 

- If you're doing the two brothers hike, make sure you pick a nice day! The hike is meant to have amazing views across Rio but we couldn't see through the clouds. In order to start the hike you have to get to the bottom of the Vidigal favela and take a moto-taxi up the favela. I'd be cautious doing this, as we went on a bad day, it wasn't very busy and we ended up in the Favela waiting for a moto-taxi and happened to see kids with assault rifles (thankfully two bikes arrived just as they were coming down the hill.) It's rated as one of the top things to do on TripAdvisor and it seems 99% of people have no issues but I'm just going off my own experiences. It might be worth taking a tour with a local. 

- If you've got time, head to Paraty & Ilha Grande for a slice of paradise! 

- It's a bucket list city and really doesn't disappoint. I paid nearly double for my flights so on that basis I would say go for it! 

1 hour ago, Dr Marco said:

Going for the first time in Manchester for a few days in July

any pubs/museums/recordstores.... to recommend please?

The National Football Museum is well worth a visit, and it's free! Also, Sinclair's Oyster Bar is a good Sam Smith's pub (dirt cheap and good beer) round the corner.

• Like 2