Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Thommo

Has Anyone Booked a Holiday Yet?

On ‎30‎/‎04‎/‎2019 at 20:16, Buce said:

That's the real irony.

When I fly somewhere, what I'm travelling to do is usually inherently more dangerous than how I'm getting there - yet I don't give those things a second thought. I guess that has something to do with feeling in control - whatever I do, I can mitigate the risks by the decisions I take anger

Ah! A new nickname " Danger Man"  :thumbup:

anyone struggling with flying - Valium / Xanax and beer.

took 3 vallies / drank 2 tinnies just after take off in Hong Kong; covered myself with 2 blankets - woke up 12.5 hours later on the runway at Heathrow. 

easy. 

I don't struggle with flying but I'd rather sleep the entire way than **** about with movies and shit plane food. 

top up at the other end if you want a nice wavy start to your trip. 

9 minutes ago, lifted*fox said:

anyone struggling with flying - Valium / Xanax and beer.

took 3 vallies / drank 2 tinnies just after take off in Hong Kong; covered myself with 2 blankets - woke up 12.5 hours later on the runway at Heathrow. 

easy. 

I don't struggle with flying but I'd rather sleep the entire way than **** about with movies and shit plane food. 

top up at the other end if you want a nice wavy start to your trip. 

Fair enough if this works for you however this is exceptionally dangerous and I would strongly recommend that you don't mix Valium/Xanax with alcohol. 

Doctor's may prescribe as a one off xanax for flying if you really need it. That alone should have a big enough effect.

32 minutes ago, Lionator said:

Fair enough if this works for you however this is exceptionally dangerous and I would strongly recommend that you don't mix Valium/Xanax with alcohol. 

Doctor's may prescribe as a one off xanax for flying if you really need it. That alone should have a big enough effect.

I'm a professional tbf but yeah, disclaimers for others is probably fair enough

Anybody been to Losinj? It's a part of Croatia I don't know and I'm thinking of going there for a week. Apparently there's a tiny island nearby with no roads just sandy beaches and a few houses. Which appeals. 

Also might combine it with Slovenia or Hungary if anybody knows any off-the-beaten-track places in those countries. 

Edited by bovril

14 hours ago, bovril said:

Anybody been to Losinj? It's a part of Croatia I don't know and I'm thinking of going there for a week. Apparently there's a tiny island nearby with no roads just sandy beaches and a few houses. Which appeals. 

Also might combine it with Slovenia or Hungary if anybody knows any off-the-beaten-track places in those countries. 

You’re asking about obscure Balkan places? lol 

No chance anybody on here has been if you haven’t!

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Stadt said:

You’re asking about obscure Balkan places? lol 

No chance anybody on here has been if you haven’t!

I thought we might still have some Hungarian foxes lingering from Gabor Bori times, or maybe some Rijeka locals still here after Kramaric. 

14 hours ago, bovril said:

The National Blue Trail in Hungary is Europe’s oldest long-distance path and passes through quiet rural areas of Hungary. You wouldn’t need to camp as there is plenty of cheap accommodation in the villages. I’m on my phone atm, but I’m sure you’ll find some info if you Google it. 

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Buce said:

The National Blue Trail in Hungary is Europe’s oldest long-distance path and passes through quiet rural areas of Hungary. You wouldn’t need to camp as there is plenty of cheap accommodation in the villages. I’m on my phone atm, but I’m sure you’ll find some info if you Google it. 

That sounds great. Cheers. 

2 hours ago, bovril said:

That sounds great. Cheers. 

Surprisingly, there doesn't seem to be a lot of info out there (though more than I had when I hiked it in pre-internet days - all I had was a map of Hungary with the trail drawn on it in crayon to the best of someone's memory lol). This is pretty informative though.

I'm pretty sure you'd like Hungary; the people - especially in rural areas - are very welcoming of travellers and I rarely found myself short of a bed and a meal, often for free.

There are loads of old churches (your kind of thing, I think?) and Ottoman-era castles dotted about and the countryside is pleasant, though not spectacular.

4 minutes ago, Buce said:

Surprisingly, there doesn't seem to be a lot of info out there (though more than I had when I hiked it in pre-internet days - all I had was a map of Hungary with the trail drawn on it in crayon to the best of someone's memory lol). This is pretty informative though.

I'm pretty sure you'd like Hungary; the people - especially in rural areas - are very welcoming of travellers and I rarely found myself short of a bed and a meal, often for free.

There are loads of old churches (your kind of thing, I think?) and Ottoman-era castles dotted about and the countryside is pleasant, though not spectacular.

Yeah that's what I intend to look for. All sounds seriously bucolic.

• Like 1

On 08/05/2019 at 18:27, ajthefox said:

Off to Valencia on a 4 day stag (4 days, yeah I know...) tomorrow.

First holiday I've been on since I went to Madrid for the CL so I'm buzzing for some sunshine and beers :beer::knockyhat:

Stag was a life affirming trip for me and although that's a slightly complex issue, what I saw of Valencia was pretty cool.

I seem to remember @StanSP and maybe someone else going soon. If you want any tips PM me.

On 14/05/2019 at 21:01, bovril said:

What's the name of the small island? Read this the other day and am now as a result legit looking at Losinj (looks fab) and maybe Krk for July. Train actually looks viable.

Edited by Kopfkino

Just now, Kopfkino said:

What's the name of the small island? Read this the other day and am now legit looking at Losinj (looks fab) and maybe Krk for July. Train actually looks viable.

Susak. 

In September I'm going London - Paris - Venice - Trieste - Rieka then boat to Losinj. The only bit you can't really do by train is Trieste to Rijeka so I'll bus it, which feels a bit like cheating. After that I might go back up to South Tyrol for a week or further into Hungary and maybe Romania. 
Managed to get an overnight train from Paris to Venice for 30 quid, and fancied a few nights in Venice anyway. 

• Like 1

In the early stages of planning a family holiday next year (May bank holiday week). Thinking a warm weather beach/pool type place but with something interesting to see. Currently thinking about Croatia (Dubrovnik).

Have seen some nice places on Airbnb. Villa with pool for £600 for the week.

But also looking for recommendations from anyone about this. Croatia sounds great, but is Dubrovnik the best bet? Would also even consider maybe Greece too. Needs to be somewhere we can get about on foot or bus to local bars and restaurants etc.

Any ideas or experiences most welcome!

On 14/05/2019 at 14:17, goose2010 said:

Off to Singapore and Bali (UBUD and Seminyak) in a few weeks, if anyone's been any tips appreciated.

My daughter has just left Bali for Australia and absolutely loved it.

cheap too.

She stayed in both of those places mentioned and travelled with STA 

ive got the itinerary at home and the days were packed but she enjoyed every minute,I will look this evening and PM you.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, stripeyfox said:

In the early stages of planning a family holiday next year (May bank holiday week). Thinking a warm weather beach/pool type place but with something interesting to see. Currently thinking about Croatia (Dubrovnik).

But also looking for recommendations from anyone about this. Croatia sounds great, but is Dubrovnik the best bet? Would also even consider maybe Greece too. Needs to be somewhere we can get about on foot or bus to local bars and restaurants etc.

Dubrovnik is great, but don't expect sandy beaches. There are lovely seafront places to relax and steps into the sea if you want to swim, but not sand. The only sandy beach I can recall in the area is on a little island a short ferry ride away.

That said, I wouldn't let a lack of sand be a dealbreaker for you. Dubrovnik is an amazing place with lots to enjoy, and plenty of places for relaxation too.

4 hours ago, stripeyfox said:

We stayed within the Dubrovnik walls for 3 nights then got boat to Lopud about half hour away. Stayed there for about 10 nights. Well chilled out there. sunj beach is nice on the island.