Jump to content
Thommo

Has Anyone Booked a Holiday Yet?

Recommended Posts

14 hours ago, Samilktray said:

As a follow up to this I’ve nailed down Valencia and the south of France. Valencia is a straight forward 1 but the south of France seems to have a lot of options so if anyone has any advice on where to go I’d appreciate any help 

go to monaco for a day just cos it’s close and it’s pretty much like nowhere else you’ll probably ever go 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 20/04/2019 at 08:03, slymunn said:

We have the following holidays booked this year. 

 

Lisbon in May

Zadar in September

Budapest in November

 

Any recommendations would be a good help as we've done the usual and looked at too much for a set plan! :)

For Budapest try the pinball museum. 130 pinball machines all free to play. Think it's about £6 to get in and you can stay all day. Has arcade games and table football too. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 20/04/2019 at 08:03, slymunn said:

We have the following holidays booked this year. 

 

Lisbon in May

Zadar in September

Budapest in November

 

Any recommendations would be a good help as we've done the usual and looked at too much for a set plan! :)

I love northern Croatia / Istria. The lakes are a must. There are two sets....one you can't swim in (in the north) the others you can (near the stunning yacht town of Sibenek)....you must do those.

 

Buy those sea shoe things!!!

 

Zadar has no beach as such, but beach clubs with decked areas and diving boards. Nothing much to look at...but I loved the fact you are straight into deep blue sea. No p*****g about.

 

Food is very Italian. Except cheaper. Buy as with anywhere, avoid the obvious restaurants with tourist menus. Get in small places off the main drags. They don't bite.

 

If locals are over 40 they'll speak German. Under 40, all English 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Paninistickers said:

I love northern Croatia / Istria. The lakes are a must. There are two sets....one you can't swim in (in the north) the others you can (near the stunning yacht town of Sibenek)....you must do those.

 

Buy those sea shoe things!!!

 

Zadar has no beach as such, but beach clubs with decked areas and diving boards. Nothing much to look at...but I loved the fact you are straight into deep blue sea. No p*****g about.

 

Food is very Italian. Except cheaper. Buy as with anywhere, avoid the obvious restaurants with tourist menus. Get in small places off the main drags. They don't bite.

 

If locals are over 40 they'll speak German. Under 40, all English 

 

 

Thank you for that! Sounds very similar to Cavtat/Dubrovnik which we did a few years ago.

 

No real beaches there so you had to go island hopping for one if you wanted :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, slymunn said:

Thank you for that! Sounds very similar to Cavtat/Dubrovnik which we did a few years ago.

 

No real beaches there so you had to go island hopping for one if you wanted :)

Zadar is a cracking little place. We stayed in a hostel and had a right laugh meeting people there. Some really cool bars at night. Became good friends with girl I met in a bar there 2 years ago! 

 

One of the highlights though was seeing a huge lorry get stuck in the beautiful Venetian main gate into the city ?

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Booked up for Benidorm in summer for 2 adults 2 kids for £2500,

paid £240 deposits last summer with 2260 left to pay this week,

so logged on to have a look and the exact same holiday was £1731?,

rang Jet2holidays and got the supply and demand crap,

so decided to cancel my holiday and lost £240,

and re book the holiday plus get £60 extra off,

so saved myself £580,if I hadn’t paid my deposit last year would have been £800 cheaper,

so lesson learned,will save up and book last minute next year

Edited by Russell sprout
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 20/04/2019 at 09:38, EastAnglianFox said:

Dubrovnik for a week early June, have a feeling after day 3 or 4 we may have seen most of what we want to see. Looking online their seems to be quite a few longish day trips into Montenegro and/or Bosnia, has anybody taken any of these? Would you recommend?

Doing the same, fly into Dubrovnik early June will do the old town then have a hire car to go into Montenegro for 4 nights read that the border checks are a bit of a mare but mainly in July/August time so fingers crossed. 

Edited by BKLFox
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎19‎/‎04‎/‎2019 at 16:19, jonthefox said:

Looking at Krakow for late August.

I think I’m the only person who’s never been.

I was also looking at this for August time, but doubt I will be able to go ahead with it as I have other commitments.

 

Will have to let me know about it and pass on tips!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Anyone been to Rhodes recently? Looking at booking a last minute holiday on a tight budget, and it will be my first holiday on my own.

 

Or if anyone has anywhere as a recommendation for about £400 (flights and hotel, 7 nights), I'm open minded, just not Spain or Turkey. Not bothered about beaches or clubbing, just like interesting sights/landscapes and a bit of relaxing. Cheers

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Julian Joachim Jr Shabadoo said:

Anyone been to Rhodes recently? Looking at booking a last minute holiday on a tight budget, and it will be my first holiday on my own.

 

Or if anyone has anywhere as a recommendation for about £400 (flights and hotel, 7 nights), I'm open minded, just not Spain or Turkey. Not bothered about beaches or clubbing, just like interesting sights/landscapes and a bit of relaxing. Cheers

https://www.jet2holidays.com/greece/rhodes/kalithea-rhodes/eden-roc-hotel

 

We stopped at the Eden Roc, food was great in the Ala-Carte restaurants. Some great scenery nearby, Kalethea springs well worth a visit, it’s a great location.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 23/04/2019 at 22:40, Russell sprout said:

Booked up for Benidorm in summer for 2 adults 2 kids for £2500,

paid £240 deposits last summer with 2260 left to pay this week,

so logged on to have a look and the exact same holiday was £1731?,

rang Jet2holidays and got the supply and demand crap,

so decided to cancel my holiday and lost £240,

and re book the holiday plus get £60 extra off,

so saved myself £580,if I hadn’t paid my deposit last year would have been £800 cheaper,

so lesson learned,will save up and book last minute next year

Benidorm for £2.5k?!

How long are you staying?? 

  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Strokes said:

https://www.jet2holidays.com/greece/rhodes/kalithea-rhodes/eden-roc-hotel

 

We stopped at the Eden Roc, food was great in the Ala-Carte restaurants. Some great scenery nearby, Kalethea springs well worth a visit, it’s a great location.

 

Cheers, but it's fully booked for the time I'm off work

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Julian Joachim Jr Shabadoo said:

Anyone been to Rhodes recently? Looking at booking a last minute holiday on a tight budget, and it will be my first holiday on my own.

 

Or if anyone has anywhere as a recommendation for about £400 (flights and hotel, 7 nights), I'm open minded, just not Spain or Turkey. Not bothered about beaches or clubbing, just like interesting sights/landscapes and a bit of relaxing. Cheers

Have you looked at Malta? 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, StanSP said:

Benidorm for £2.5k?!

How long are you staying?? 

 

3 minutes ago, Julian Joachim Jr Shabadoo said:

That's a three-year lease for an apartment block I think

 

I think you've misunderstood.

 

That's how much they're being paid to go.

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Julian Joachim Jr Shabadoo said:

 

Cheers, but it's fully booked for the time I'm off work

That’s a shame, make sure you take a look at kalethea springs if you do go to the island though pal. It won’t disappoint.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Julian Joachim Jr Shabadoo said:

 

Not properly, had a quick look but will do a bit more research later. Cheers

I don't know when you're thinking of going, I've been out of season so it's been really cheap, but yes it's definitely worth a look. Lots of history and scenery, lovely weather and great people. I've been on my own a few times too and never felt out of place. I can't help with Rhodes as I haven't been for years, but I did go to Kefalonia a couple of years ago and would recommend there too ? 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, South Shire Fox said:

Going to Negril in Jamacia next month if anyone knows any good excursions to do? 

Spelling lessons are pretty decent over there I’ve heard.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 23/04/2019 at 21:03, ousefox said:

Zadar is a cracking little place. We stayed in a hostel and had a right laugh meeting people there. Some really cool bars at night. Became good friends with girl I met in a bar there 2 years ago! 

 

One of the highlights though was seeing a huge lorry get stuck in the beautiful Venetian main gate into the city ?

 

Haven't been to Dalmatia or Dubrovnik but I have been further up to Istria, town called Rovinj. 

 

One of my favourite holidays, absolutely beautiful place, would recommend to anyone. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

 

Haven't been to Dalmatia or Dubrovnik but I have been further up to Istria, town called Rovinj. 

 

One of my favourite holidays, absolutely beautiful place, would recommend to anyone. 

Rovinj is lovely.

I like Istria. There are some quite untouched parts of the interior and a lot of interesting history, especially from the first half of the 20th century. I've stayed a couple of times in Cres which is quite beautiful and very calm during the off season.

The Slovenian part also holds some treasures. If you ever go back drive up to the medieval church at Hrastovlje, probably about 90 minutes drive from Rovinj. Piran is another lovely town.

And Trieste is one of my favourite cities. I love walking in the hills above the city and seeing signs in both Italian and Slovenian. 

Edited by bovril
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've considered Trieste before but a colleague who's usually pretty reliable pulled a bit of a face. What do you like about it and why would you recommend? 

 

The port is a functional commercial port isn't it? Is it less touristy and more functional as a city? Or still plenty to do? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

I've considered Trieste before but a colleague who's usually pretty reliable pulled a bit of a face. What do you like about it and why would you recommend? 

 

The port is a functional commercial port isn't it? Is it less touristy and more functional as a city? Or still plenty to do? 

It has a kind of pre-war faded glamour that I like. It's one of those places that doesn't belong to one country or ethnicity. It's right where the Latin, Teutonic and Slavic parts of Europe meet and, of those, the Latin, Italian influence is probably the weakest, even considering it's part of modern day Italy. Plus I have a kind of nostalgic connection to it as it's been the beginning, end or transit point of quite a few journeys I've done including the first time I travelled round Europe. 
There are things to do and see, though not loads. And good day trips. You can sit in an osmica in the hills above the city getting pissed on local white wine. But your colleague is probably right, it's quite an esoteric place, a bit of a sleepy backwater. You could combine it with Venice but on it's own I guess it's not the best for a weekend break.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...