Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Thommo

Has Anyone Booked a Holiday Yet?

3 hours ago, Finnegan said:

When Ireland and Scotland rock up in Cardiff its not "The Welsh" atmosphere, its OUR (as in you too) atmosphere. 

Learn Calon Lan* and Bread of Heaven because I promise you, most of Cardiff knows the Fields of Athenry and we WILL sing it with you. ESPECIALLY before / after the game, if not during. 

I went to the Scotland game in the autumn and my group were sat in the pub with a bagpiper (seriously, middle of Spoons) afterwards and he was alternating between playing Welsh and Scottish songs and we were all singing together as one big group. 

You're very much our cousins, our family and you'll be treated as such if you're not a dick. 

Honestly, Cardiff on a match day is some of the best pub atmosphere you'll ever soak up, especially if the weather is nice. I can't recommend a hotel, sorry, I've always just stayed with family or friends but almost all pubs and restaurants are going to be absolutely heaving so just get on it early and embrace the company more than looking for the best food or beer tbh. 

* first verse and the chorus, you will get MASSIVE Rugby Friend(!) points. If Stuart Hogg can anyone can:

Thanks for the advice, no arseholes on the trip so any banter will be in good spirit no doubt. As for Calon Lan, I'll struggle manage a good account of it sober let alone drunk but will give it a decent effort in August.

• Haha 1

Anyone ever taken the wife and kids on holiday to Italy?

We usually go to Orlando but I can't afford it this year so it looks like Italy is favorite.

I went to Sorrento with the missus many years ago but can't remember much about it. We did Pompeii/Mt Vesuvius etc. but I imagine that would be wasted on a 9 and 12 year old. 

I guess we're looking at 2 weeks self catering/apartment by a beach somewhere in August but I've no idea where to begin looking.

Any tips/experience/advice most welcome. 

1 minute ago, Izzy said:

We usually go to Orlando but I can't afford it this year so it looks like Italy is favorite.

I went to Sorrento with the missus many years ago but can't remember much about it. We did Pompeii/Mt Vesuvius etc. but I imagine that would be wasted on a 9 and 12 year old. 

I guess we're looking at 2 weeks self catering/apartment by a beach somewhere in August but I've no idea where to begin looking.

Take your credit card, i've always found it super expensive in Italy. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Suzie the Fox said:

Take your credit card, i've always found it super expensive in Italy. 

If it's gonna be expensive out there then we might as well go back to Orlando!

Good point though Suze, cheers :thumbup:

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Izzy said:

If it's gonna be expensive out there then we might as well go back to Orlando!

Good point though Suze, cheers :thumbup:

If its a 'cheaper' holiday you are looking for I've always found the Greek islands to be my goto, personally i love Crete, i love the food the beach's and there is plenty of historical stuff to look around. Also loads of water sports and not too expensive prices for the kids. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Suzie the Fox said:

If its a 'cheaper' holiday you are looking for I've always found the Greek islands to be my goto, personally i love Crete, i love the food the beach's and there is plenty of historical stuff to look around. Also loads of water sports and not too expensive prices for the kids. 

1 minute ago, Stadt said:

Not that I’ve been but Italy doesn’t strike me as a family beach holiday destination. Spain (and it’s islands), Greece or Cyprus are probably more suitable 

Yeah I'm with ya both.

Italy is the stupid fvckin wife's idea :rolleyes:

Thanks

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Izzy said:

On the Adriatic side, the coasts of Emilia Romagna and Marche are probably the most commercial. The Conero coast is lovely and there are some great bits of Marche further inland if you want some mountain scenery to get away from the heat. Bit further down there are some nice stretches in Abruzzo, a region which has some great food and drink and some spectacular mountain scenery in land. Puglia is probably your best bet, some stunning stretches of coastline, great food drink, wonderful people and well-enough organised for families. 

On the west coast, Liguria is very beautiful and Genoa is a great city. The Tuscan coast has some nice spots, the Costa D'Argento near Grosseto is really beautiful. Lazio and Campania are better known, especially if you have been to Sorrento before. Calabria is one of my favourite regions in Italy but not sure it's great for a family beach holiday. Sicily is stunning, one of the most amazing places in the World I think. West coast is incredible in parts. The area south of Messina is a bit more built up but has some beautiful places to see including Etna and could be a good bet. Sardinia I don't know so well but seems to be a good mix of gorgeous coastline and organised tourist areas. 

To cut a long story short, Veneto and Emilia Romagna may be your best bet for a well-organised, family package type place with some sites to see, but will be packed. Puglia a good option I think. 

Edited by bovril
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Grebfromgrebland said:

Malta for one week going on Sunday. Never been before but everyone I speak to says it's great. Can't wait I'm already in holiday mode at work.

One of my favourite places in the world, hope you love it too

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Costock_Fox said:

Off to Scotland in my camper in about 3 weeks. Doing a night in Carlyle,  3 nights on Skye, 2 on Harris and then a night in Edinburgh. Can’t wait.

Sounds great - I assume you’ve scheduled in a couple of distillery tours :thumbup:

11 hours ago, Suzie the Fox said:

Me too Suzie.  Been lucky enough to visit lots of Greek islands.  Crete is on the favourites list - as the largest Greek island it takes some exploring.  Love Chania.  The town is great, but it's good to explore the interior and the west and south coasts.  Roll on the summer!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Izzy said:

If it’s cheap you want, head for Turkey - the Lira is in serious trouble. 

Mind you, August would be baking. 

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Costock_Fox said:

Off to Scotland in my camper in about 3 weeks. Doing a night in Carlyle,  3 nights on Skye, 2 on Harris and then a night in Edinburgh. Can’t wait.

Harris is incredible. I'm not sure if I've ever been to a place that felt more remote. The landscapes are stunning. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, bovril said:

Harris is incredible. I'm not sure if I've ever been to a place that felt more remote. The landscapes are stunning. 

Nice, I can’t wait. I’ve been to the arse end of nowhere in Norway and Sweden so hoping it’s similar (obviously less snowy in May)

I’ve been to skye before but only for a day. 

Just now, Costock_Fox said:

Nice, I can’t wait. I’ve been to the arse end of nowhere in Norway and Sweden so hoping it’s similar (obviously less snowy in May)

I’ve been to skye before but only for a day. 

Skye's lovely and the north and south of the island have very different characters. Sligachan Inn has some good ales. 

20 minutes ago, bovril said:

Skye's lovely and the north and south of the island have very different characters. Sligachan Inn has some good ales. 

Yeah I drove up to that lighthouse in the north to see whales but didn’t spot any and the scenery up there was incredible.

Cheers for the beer recommendation, will see if it’s near to the campsite and check it out.