Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Thommo

Has Anyone Booked a Holiday Yet?

4 hours ago, kingcarr21 said:

Heading to Thomas Cook today to look into a holiday to Cuba in October 2020. Anybody been to Cuba? Is it worth the money?

I went to Mexico last year and although it was a great holiday I was disappointed with the lack of Mexican food in the hotel. I even went out to a local Mexican restaurant and it wasn't great, was ok but when you go to the country you expect the local delicacies to be top notch and it just wasn't.

Is a trip to Havana worth it? Is it even safe for the kids or is it a place to just stay in the hotel?

Thanks

Been to cuba in 2012. From my experience and those of close friends and family cuba is essentially the safe bet in the Caribbean and most affordable .  The people on resorts are fantastic, super nice.  Thst might also be due to the lack of americans in cuba lol.

You will feel safer in cuba then mexico, dominican or a place like jamaica for sure. The thing is they have some of the best beaches in the whole caribbean but the food is not great at all.  Always go to a 5 star in cuba  but dont expect great food at all.  If you want good food mexico or jamaica are better options  (and looks like mexico wasnt all that for you).

Crime does exist but it does anywhere in the caribbean and cuba is probably the safest of them all. Use common sense when out and about. 

Would i go back to cuba? Yes, loved it outside of the food. Its safe for the family. Having said that I'd rather go to a different island everytime i go before going back to the same island but thats just me.

Is it worth the money.....yes and no. Again if you want safe, more affordable, better beaches then mexico and relaxing no doubt.   If you want to step it up a notch then another island would be better .  Seeing as it only costs about $1000+ canadian from here to 5 star cuba its not like i spend a load to go there. Not sure about flying across the pond though.

If you go more money to spend then ball out!

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Samilktray said:

Just booked to go Krakow in the summer and I’m now looking at another city break for September that’s guaranteed some sun and interesting things to see 

I’m off to Krakow in July. Stopping close to the square. Can’t wait. Definitely planning to go to Auschwitz, although not sure about booking it. A Polish girl from work reckons it's easy to sort it when out there, as the hotels will book trips etc. 

On 12/03/2019 at 10:21, ScouseFox said:

looks like we’re going rio for a few weeks this year, should be certainly sexy 

Cool place, but, have your wits about you…. See if you can get up the coast to Buzios (it’s where Bardot used to holiday)…. You can go diving too (I saw a huge Manta Ray and a giant turtle )

I went to see a game at the Maracana…. It was the equivalent of their league cup final… One of the worst games I ever saw! 0-0 and then they kept missing penalties!

Stick to impanema or Leblon for places to stay…. Copa Cabana was a bit meh 

cristo de redentor is a must

enjoy…

• Thanks 1

On 12/03/2019 at 10:05, Costock_Fox said:

Off to Athens on Thursday, has anyone been? Any tips?

I found it a weird place tbh. It seemed to be absolutely dead at night in the centre. I couldn't get my head around it. 

Just visit all the places a normal tourist would. They really are incredible. Sorry that's such a shit tip ?

Just now, ousefox said:

I found it a weird place tbh. It seemed to be absolutely dead at night in the centre. I couldn't get my head around it. 

Just visit all the places a normal tourist would. They really are incredible. Sorry that's such a shit tip ?

Lol others have said it’s a strange place. I’m just looking forward to visiting a new city that I wouldn’t have thought about going to myself really.

Any decent bars etc? 

On 12/03/2019 at 12:01, Samilktray said:

Just booked to go Krakow in the summer and I’m now looking at another city break for September that’s guaranteed some sun and interesting things to see 

@Jackubu Should have plenty of advice by then

15 hours ago, Costock_Fox said:

Lol others have said it’s a strange place. I’m just looking forward to visiting a new city that I wouldn’t have thought about going to myself really.

Any decent bars etc? 

Asking for decent bars,from tourists seems to be a denial situ...Why not wait,be adventurous...and communicate with locals.chat up the receptionist.

Speak to guys or even girls...ask them where the bars and night life is...or just a pleasant bar with music to drink......Look for a cafe in the day,ask the waiter, or a customer.. 

A young Greek friend..living in Germany sent me this...she said when she goes back home 4-5 times a year....She gets asked also..but these

are a good choice...    

https://whyathens.com/athens-nightlife/...

She also goes to the ports...Piraeus...

Edited by fuchsntf

18 minutes ago, fuchsntf said:

Asking for decent bars,from tourists seems to be a denial situ...Why not wait,be adventurous...and communicate with locals.chat up the receptionist.

Speak to guys or even girls...ask them where the bars and night life is...or just a pleasant bar with music to drink......Look for a cafe in the day,ask the waiter, or a customer.. 

A young Greek friend..living in Germany sent me this...she said when she goes back home 4-5 times a year....She gets asked also..but these

are a good choice...    

https://whyathens.com/athens-nightlife/...

She also goes to the ports...Piraeus...

To answer your questions, because I’m a huge hipster that has to find the best drinks in the best places. I’m asking the question but will disregard the answer if it doesn’t fit what I already want to do. And I’m definitely not speaking to locals.

This a joke btw, someone who I’m going with is actually from Athens.

Edited by Costock_Fox

20 hours ago, Costock_Fox said:

Any decent bars etc? 

I remember going to some decent bars with mates and people we recruited at the hostel. I was quite drunk but they were all fairly good. Just checked my Google timeline and Bios had a great rooftop bar. Other ones we went to were Baba au Rum and Kuko's which were both pretty cool.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, ousefox said:

I remember going to some decent bars with mates and people we recruited at the hostel. I was quite drunk but they were all fairly good. Just checked my Google timeline and Bios had a great rooftop bar. Other ones we went to were Baba au Rum and Kuko's which were both pretty cool.

Cheers, will check them out.

9 hours ago, ousefox said:

Got 3 days there in June if you have any tips.

The English Garden will be great in June, you can watch the surfers riding the waves there, the Glockenspiel is good, be there at 11am or noon to see it working, plenty of museums and churches (if you like that sort of thing) as for the Beer the HB beer Keller is a must, traditional band playing there and there is another good beer hall on the Main Street. it’ll be fantastic there in June as there are so many places to eat and drink outdoors 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Mark 'expert' Lawrenson said:

The English Garden will be great in June, you can watch the surfers riding the waves there, the Glockenspiel is good, be there at 11am or noon to see it working, plenty of museums and churches (if you like that sort of thing) as for the Beer the HB beer Keller is a must, traditional band playing there and there is another good beer hall on the Main Street. it’ll be fantastic there in June as there are so many places to eat and drink outdoors 

biergarten Pullach Waldhauschen.....became a short cult group....!!   

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I've spontaneously just booked a 2 night trip to Faro as it was dirt cheap. Travelling Solo. 

I can be very socially anxious, so I've done this to try and get out my comfort zone! Will either hate every minute or love it, we will see. 

Anyone ever been? 

3 minutes ago, CollinsLCFC said:

I've spontaneously just booked a 2 night trip to Faro as it was dirt cheap. Travelling Solo. 

I can be very socially anxious, so I've done this to try and get out my comfort zone! Will either hate every minute or love it, we will see. 

Anyone ever been? 

Not been but good luck mate with your challenges.

• 2 weeks later...
On 27/03/2019 at 19:54, CollinsLCFC said:

Anyone ever been? 

Well done for taking the plunge! I travel a fair bit for work and always try and make the most of it by adding a few (solo) days on at the end. If you like reading, my top tip would be to have a good book with you. I never head out without my kindle. Obviously I am not completely antisocial, but when you are at restaurants and things it can stop you feeling less self conscious. 

25 minutes ago, Nalis said:

More of a weekender than a holiday but going to Cardiff for Wales v Ireland (rugby) in the summer with mates and our other halves. Any reccomendations on hotels, food, bars etc, @Finnegan and everyone else?

You will have a blast, I went to watch WAL v SA @ the Principality about 6 years ago and I've never experienced an atmosphere like it and speaking as an Englishman that stadium and crowd are a amazing.

I went down on the train mixing with all the SA fans fully intent on supporting SA but once in the stadium and with pre-match entertainment underway and when the players came out it was a true hairs standing up on the back of your neck moment, it certainly tested my new found SA loyalty, thankfully I gave my head a shake and managed to keep the faith.

Whilst it was alcohol fuelled it was a better experience than any I have had @ Twickenham to date.

Anyway I stayed at the Royal Hotel a modern boutique style hotel which might appeal to the other half as a bit different to the standard chains this is on St Mary's Street & you can't get anymore central than that, whilst a little pricey (I'm sure I got a deal) there are a few other hotels on that Street. I'd suggest booking early over a Rugby w/end thou.

The good thing is the Stadium is only a 5-10min walk from the centre so it makes sense to stay close and unlike places like London all the bars restaurants are tightly packed around that area in the main.

It has the usual big chains with regards to bars, Tiger Tiger, Walkabout and such like but all get packed before and after so Top Tip book a restaurant for just after the match otherwise the 70k people or so making that short walk across soon fill those many bars up. I booked an Indian restaurant which had people queuing out the door when I arrived but my group just walked to the front and got seated and they didn't mind that we just ordered beers and some starters giving us an hour in there for the rush outside to die down.

Im smiling as I type remembering the w/end it was rowdy yes but with that amount of bodies in a smallish area it will be yet I didn't witness much trouble to speak of and felt safe the entire time we also had a few females in the group if you thinking about the other half, everyone's just out for a good time, even the locals they lost btw, but were superb in defeat. 

I feel like I've written that for me but hopefully started you off with a few ideas of what to expect, I'm sure you'll have a great time enjoy ? 

• Thanks 1