Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Messi

Derby Player Ratings!

Weale 7

Naughton 7 - Not so great first half, fantastic second

Davies 9 - Rock. Solid

Hobbs 8 - The Jack Hobbs of last season

Cunningham 8 - Very impressed, got forward well but had to pace to get back

Gallagher 8 - Creative and confident

Wellens 8 - Won the ball, kept the ball and great pass for Kings goal

Abe 7 - Worked his arse off and covered well at the back

King 7 - Great finish, good runs but not as involved as I'd like

Vassell 6 - Good finish for his 'goal' but apart from that he did little

Howard 8 - Held up the ball well and looked strangely mobile

Subs:

Dyer 7 - Better than Vassell

Waghorn n/a

Weale 7

Naughton 7

Davies 8

Hobbs 7

Cunningham 8

Gallagher 8

Wellens 9

Abe 6

King 8

Vassell 6

Howard 9

Subs:

Dyer 7

Waghorn n/a

Great Team Performance Overall :)

I think a 6 for Abe is a bit harsh. I thought he was great today. At least an 8.

Weale 7.5 confident display, not that much to do.

Naughton 8 Sign him up (as if)

Davies 8 Class

Hobbs 8 Back to his best

Cunningham 8 Sign him up (you never know :ph34r: )

Gallagher 8 Worked really well, always available.

Wellens 8 Midfield general

Abe 7.5 Meh

King 8 MOTM

Vassell 7.5 looked sharper than on Wednesday.

Howard 8 Won a lot in the air, put himself about.

SUBS;

Dyer 7.5 Immediate impact, would have got an 8 if he'd been on longer

Waghorn N/A

Weale 7

Naughton 7 - Not so great first half, fantastic second

Davies 9 - Rock. Solid

Hobbs 8 - The Jack Hobbs of last season

Cunningham 8 - Very impressed, got forward well but had to pace to get back

Gallagher 8 - Creative and confident

Wellens 8 - Won the ball, kept the ball and great pass for Kings goal

Abe 7 - Worked his arse off and covered well at the back

King 7 - Great finish, good runs but not as involved as I'd like

Vassell 6 - Good finish for his 'goal' but apart from that he did little

Howard 8 - Held up the ball well and looked strangely mobile

Subs:

Dyer 7 - Better than Vassell

Waghorn n/a

Agree with the rest, but slightly harsh imo, he got in behind the Derby defence 3 times early on and their defence seemed unsettled by the Howard and Vassell (although from the right) combination. He did howvere fade in the second half, but I suppose that will come with time.

I did however like it when Dyer came on Vassell also.

Weale 7 - Largely untroubled

Naughton 8 - Bombed up and down the touchline all game and linked up well with both Vassell and Dyer

Davies 8 - Immense in the air and on the ground, Moore never really had a sniff

Hobbs 8 - Back tohis best

Cunningham 8 - Like Naughton with his constant running and laid a goal on a plate for King who messed it up

Wellens 9 - Got stuck in was composed on the ball and ran the midfield. Great ball for King's goal

Abe 8 - Made sure Commons ' threat was nullified, worked his socks off and made a couple of good breaks forwar

King 8 - Good finish for the goal and was crucial to most of our build up play today, his touch seemed at bit off at times though

Vassell 7 - Had what looked like a perfectly legitimate goal ruled out and beat their full back a number of times

Howard 9 - Worked his socks off and looks a lot sharper since the new regime came in. Great tackle in the build up to King's goal, confident finish for the penalty always a threat and was unlucky not to score more

Gallagher 9 - Had the beating of thier right back everytime, worked well with Wellens and gave good support to Cunningham. The teams set-up seems to really suit his game

Subs:

Dyer 8 - Was unplayable when he came on including a brilliant 40 yard one-two with Gallagher, came close with a couple of chances

Waghorn N/A

Weale 6.5 (Had little to do but did it simply and effectively).

Naughton 8.25 (Showed his focus by driving forward late in the game to win the penalty that settled the game. In control throughout and a constant support to those around him ).

Davies 8 (Sound, reliable and always involved).

Hobbs 7.5 (Much better than against Sheffield United. Some timely interceptions and kept it simple in other areas. Pleased for the guy)

Cunningham 7.5 (Another who was much better than on Wednesday and well in contol defensively).

Gallagher 7.75 (Another worthwhile 90-minute contibution. His ability to help the team seems such a plus now and does so much tohelp the flow of the side and emphasised in the last 10 minutes when he was involved in so many things).

Wellens 8.5 (Took contol in midfield and not only worked like a trojan but kept it quick and simple where possible. Believe he had an assist as well. Excellent.

Abe 7.25 (Still a bit up and down but that's understandable for a while yet. Decent shift though. Very industrious.).

King 8 (Another vital goal - made to look so simple by his hitting the target. Lots of threatening runs into the box too which didn't quite attract the perfect pass necessary).

Vassell 6 (Still settling and, for now, looks to be quite fortunate to be keeping Dyer out although the latter seems to relish attacking tired defenders. Unfortunate to be denied a tidily-taken goal for offside )

Howard 8.75 (Another coolly taken spot kick, should probably have scored with a header and a shot but was always a nightmare for the Derby rearguard and won the ball for our first goal. Enough that to edge MoM from the midst of some good contenders.).

Subs:

Dyer 7 (Excellent. So close to scoring from a run to the near post when he turned the ball over and was a constant menace as City's runners tore holes in Derby as they tried to press forward towards the end).

Waghorn 6 (Lively enough and a formidable subsitute)

Eriksson: Whatever he likes. 2-0 against Derby represents the holy grail for City fans and it was well earned.

Swan Lestas: Singhy 10 (Witty, intelligent, insightful and always quick to buy a decent beer).

Carl and Alex (10 each for some quality football banter).

Gonna have a good time tonight :scarf::trumpet::beer:

Weale- 7 Had very little to do thanks to those around him

Naughton- 8 Defensively good, and had a major contribution for the penalty with his lung burstinng run

Davies- 8 Wins so many aerial balls, his positioning is brilliant, he's strong as an ox, and he'll even burst out from the back and join an attack! Premier class

Hobbs- 8 Did brilliantly for stepping in at the last minute and looked like the Jack Hobbs were used to seeing

Cunningham- 8 Made lots of strong challenges, brave headers

Vassell- 7 Getting fitter, and used his pace to good affect well to trouble Derbys left back, particularly in the second half before he was took off. Took his 'goal' well

Abe- 7 Performed a valuable roll today mopping up and snuffing out attacks before they developed. Did a good job of keeping Commons quiet, improving week by week

King- 8 What can you say about this lad? Gets into unbeieveable areas when breaking into the box late. Great finish

Wellens- MOM 9- Absolutely ran the show today. The complete performance

Gallagher- 7 Good touch and deliveries into the box

Howard- 8 Took his usual battering, but was an absolute focal point up front. Deserved a goal for his hard work too.

Dyer- 7 Quiet, Leicester well on top and didnt really need to break sweat

Waggy- N/A, He was only on the pitch for 5 mins

Sven- 10. The guy is the MAN.

Clough- 0 An overrated manager who's changes made no impact on the game whatsoever

FC Betz- 0. Cruelly took my money on a useless bet

Concourses- 8 Nice to be able to get cornish pasties in and bovril in time for freezing winter games

Birch- 6 Good at half time, but caused confusion for the silence, not good.

Filbert- 6 was great in the kop in the second half

Leicester Fans- 9 Were brilliant today and kept the atmoshere going

Derby Fans- 0 Idiots

Weale 7 - Nothing to do really.

Naughton 9 - Up and down the right side constantly.

Davies 8

Hobbs 8 - Back to his best.

Cunningham 8

Gallagher 8

Wellens 9 - MOTM - Ran the midfield.

Abe 8

King 7.5 - Scored the goal but other than that goes missing some times.

Vassell 7

Howard 8 - Battering ram.

Weale 6 - Had very little to do but coped with everything well enough.

Naughton 8 - Supported well and won the penalty. I like him a lot.

Hobbs 8 - Dominant and a big confidence boost for him.

Davies 8 - Like Hobbs was excellent and dealt with everything well.

Cunningham 8 - See Naughton.

Abe 6.5 - Fairly weak game I thought, took too long on the ball and didn't seem to want it very often. That said he was always back to help clean up Derby breaks and I'm sure he'll get to grips over the season.

King 7.5 - Another game, another goal. Such an asset.

Wellens 8.5 - Pushing Howard close for MOTM, he was combative in midfield and set up King's goal with a lovely ball.

Vassell 6.5 - Did well to get in behind the Derby backline on a couple of occasions, would have been nice to see him get that goal. He'll be fine.

Howard 9 - Great penalty, held the ball up superbly and won everything everywhere.

Gallagher 7.5 - Worked so hard on the wing and always looks like a useful source of creativity. I'm glad he's in the side, we genuinely look more threatening with him.

Some people are under-estimating Derby, who looked a decent side in possession. The fact that they created very little when they had the ball was mainly down to our good organisation, shape and cover. That's the single most pleasing thing about that performance.

Weale 7 Had little to do, did nothing wrong

Naughton 8.5 Sound defensively, great contribution to attacks, passing, overlaps etc.

Hobbs 8.5 Solid as a rock. Showed great bottle after a stinker on Weds and last minute call-up. Really pleased for him.

Davies 7.5 Stood off occasionally, but generally good in defence & possession

Cunningham 7.5 Good team performance, improving all the time

Abe 8 Great positional awareness, team effort & passing (was Commons playing?); wrongly under-estimated by some

Wellens 8.5 On a great run of form just now

King 7.5 Several well-timed runs as ever (inc. goal) & good passing

Gallagher 8.5 His best LCFC performance? Some great passing & seems to have found more fitness & commitment

Vassell 7 Some hints that he'll come good - ghosted past his man several times...improving

Howard 8.5 Led the line superbly, decent passing, must boost team confidence with positive attitude

Overall, best team effort I've seen this season. Long may it continue. Would love to see 1 or 2 of the loanees signed up on permanent deals...it'd be a shame to have to restart teambuilding in Jan....

Weale 7

Naughton 8.5 - Superb going forward, good at the back.

Davies 8

Hobbs 7.5

Cunningham 8 - Kept their winger quiet.

Vassell 7

King 8 - Neat finish, some good breaks from midfield.

Abe 7

Wellens 8.5 - Hero, battled all game, great assist.

Gallagher 8

Howard 9 - Monster, great penalty aswell.

Subs;

Dyer 7 - Impacted the game well, against tiring legs.

Weale 7 - Did what he needed to do well.

Naughton 8 - Always dangerous going forward and looking increasingly solid defensively.

Hobbs 7.5 - Looked more like the Hobbs of last season.

Davies 7.5 - Also looked like the Hobbs of last season, if more composed on the ball.

Cunningham 6 - Still unconvinced.

Abe 7.5 - Worked his socks off. Good positional discipline and his passing awareness at short range is excellent. Still needs to release it quicker sometimes.

Wellens 8.5 - Man of the match. Was all over the pitch and won loads of tackles. His pass to King was through the eye of a needle.

King 8 - Always dangerous going forward. Another well-taken goal but could easily have had a hat trick in the first 25 minutes.

Vassell 6 - Infuriatingly kept turning back inside when he had the full back beaten for pace. Worked hard but should not be starting ahead of Dyer.

Howard 8 - Held the ball up well and worked hard. Decent enough penalty. Wasteful finishing might cost us on another day.

Gallagher 8 - Mixed delivery but always available and close control was good. Seems to have developed something of a work ethic since Sven took over too.

subs:

Dyer 8 - Scared Derby shitless on the break.

weale - 7

Naughton - 7.5 - Good work, kept bombing forward and won the penalty, not had a full back do that much in recent years

Davies - 8

Hobbs - 7.5 - solid performance and even better considering he wouldn't have known he was playing till 5-10 minutes to kick-off

Cunningham - 7

Abe - 7.5

King - 8

Wellens - 8

Vassell - 7 - looked better than wednesday but still clear to see he hasn't played much this calander year

Gallagher - 7.5

Howard - 8.5 - MOTM. Hard working, had the better of the derby defence all game long.

subs:

Dyer - 7.5

Waghorn - Not on long enough for rating

Weale 7 - I don't remember him having to make a save?? His kicking was much better than Wednesday and looks more assured.

Naughton 8 - Fantastic. Won some cracking headers and has a bigger throw than we all thought! Much better than Neilsons! Looked a threat going forward as well.

Davies 7.5 - Solid.

Hobbs 7.5 - Solid.

Cunningham 7.5 - Always provided an attacking outlet. Quite solid defensively, got caught out once though but put a quality tackle in.

Abe 8 - Broke so much of the play up and rarely gave the ball away. Improving.

Wellens 9 - Best match I think I've seen him play in a City shirt. Won everything in midfield, made forward runs and defended well.

King 9 - Well taken goal and a great run for the goal. Was instrumental in the middle and got on the ball more than he usually does - which often means trouble for the opposition.

Vassell 7 - Wasn't at his best. Still doesn't look 100% fit but was a threat in the opening exchanges and was unlucky to have a goal disallowed.

Gallagher 8 - Frustrating performance as usual but that's just his style. He has so much quality on the ball and can be lethal with it at his feet. Just his work ethic and lack of crunch in the tackle lets him down.

Howard 8 - True captains display today. Linked the play up well, got stuck in and won his fair share of headers. Well played Super Steve.

Subs:

Dyer 7.5 - Massive threat when he came on. His pace really threatened a tiring Derby team.

Waghorn n/a - Didn't really do much.

Sven 9 - Got everything spot on. He's playing the formation that Sousa wanted to but he knows how to play. For a start, you don't drop your best players (i.e King) and you make sure that your team can last for 90 minutes.

There's a first time for doing match ratings so here goes

Weale - 7 - Had nothing to do only to pluck a few crosses out of the air, steady performance

Naughton - 8 - Never gave up showed alot of desire to help the attackers, defending was super and all work ethic, could he be one of our best right back this decade?

Davies - 8.5 - At this moment in time he could walk into a fair few prem teams, quality desplay, always looking to attack and is so assured on the ball

Hobbs - 8 - reminds me of last season, so good today im pleased by his performance after what i can gather a nightmare on wednesday

Cunningham - 8 - Man City o have good LB's i there reserves, supported the attackers well and basically the same as naughton

Abe - 8 - Although i like the look of him, he seems a tad slow on the ball, when he got into the game he broke everything up and played some nice little balls, will definatly be an asset when he learns the language

Wellens - 9 MOTM - I dont understand the haters, he was the mid-field boss, played great balls (King's goal) worked his socks off and i feel our mid-field would be lost without him

King - 8 - What mroe can be said he's probably the best finisher at the club, always finds ways of getting into dangerous areas and doesnt seem to waste chances. owever he does seem to go missing in games, be that whethers he's trying to defend, im not sure.

Vassell - 7 - Showed glimpses of quality and his "goal" was superbly taken, will be very good for us when he's fully match fit.

Gallagher - 8 - Again he's playing with confidence and this seems his favourite position, im sure with more games he'll get even better, played some fantastic balls.

Howard - 8.5 - Battering ram, a quality performance even for his age, always tried to close down and worked hard for the team, very cooly taken penalty. Wells done sir.

Sub's

Dyer - 7 - With more time on the pitch he could have caused even more problems, always looked like getting past their deffenders has soo much pace.

Waghorn - N/A -

Sven - 9 - I wasn't too sure about him becoming our manager, thought it was all hype, but the man has won me over, he makes all the right moves and long may this continue

Weale 7- Didn't have a lot to do, claimed a few crosses easily.

Naughton 8- Drove forward down the right and overlapped well. Defended solidly as well.

Davies 8- Pretty much solid and composed on the ball.

Hobbs 8- Massively improved, pretty solid and good in the air.

Cunningham 8- Defended well- put in some good challenges and brave headers. Got forward and overlapped well.

Gallagher 8- Played a few quality diagonal and cross-field balls, decent deliveries, showed good touches and control, even some pace.

King 8- Well taken goal, made some good runs from midfield. Disappeared for a short spell, but overall had a really good game.

Abe 7.5- Started off quite slow- was caught in possession a couple of times, but improved as the game went on.

Wellens 9- Dominated the midfield, split the Derby defense with one superb killer pass for King's goal.

Vassell 7- Got in behind a couple of times and is improving.

Howard 9- Worked really hard. Great performance, great penalty and great in the air.

Dyer 7.5- Deadly pace! Caused problems and threatened the Derby defense.

Waghorn- Wasn't on long enough.

Weale - 7 Not terribly busy, but handled everything solidly and dealt with a few ropey back passes well.

Naughton - 8 Sign him up. Everything you want from a full back, and an excellent overlap to earn the penalty. Top drawer.

Davies - 8 Sign him up. Dealt with everything superbly when Derby started to put us under the cosh in the first half. Loved his bursting run to the edge of the Derby box in the second half, when he was the furthest man forward

Hobbs - 8 Stepped in at the last minute, and shook off the cobwebs of the midweek game to find the good old rock solid centre-back we know. Sell him? No****ingchanceinhell

Cunningham - 8 Sign him up. Similar in style to Berner, he is very promising for a youngster with so little first team experience. Will only get better and better, if we can steal him away in Jan it will be a superb bit of business

Vassel - 8 I was impressed. Worked his socks off, and he still isn't fully fit, but he threatened on several occasions, especially in the second half. Cruely denied an (onside looking) goal that was about to errupt into an epic Darius on Filbert celebration.

Abe - 8 Never stops running, never stops closing down, his marking and covering is exceptional. If we want to play attacking attractive football, it's vital to have a player like this who can mop up and restrict the opposition to set up counter attacks.

King - 8 He gets the ball he scores a goal. He is stepping up this season, has added driving runs with the ball to his arsenal, and is taking more responsability to make things happen. Huge prospect.

Wellens - 9 In midweek he was playing terrible hospital balls, today he was different gravy. Lovely assist for the first goal, spreading the ball all over the pitch and created plenty.

Gallagher - 8 Looks a different player under Sven. Unlucky not to score when Fielding pulled off a super stop to deny his deflected drive. Creative and fiesty today. If only he could take a corner.

Howard - 9 Joint MOTM with Wellens. Rolled back the years, fought like a Trojan as Derby climbed all over him in futile efforts to stop him. Smashed his penalty home with aplomb and received a well deserved standing ovation.

Subs

Dyer - 8 Just as Derby's fullback thought he was getting a break from dealing with Vassel's pace, Lloyd came on and tore him to bits. Another unlucky not to score after a Fielding save.

Waghorn - Not on long enough for a rating, but played well in his short cameo.

Sven - Picked his team up after Wednesday's disapointing performance, and sent it out firing on all cylinders. Looks like the real deal. To think it's not too long since we had the likes of Megson, and now we've got one of the most respected managers in World football, and with good reason.

Derby - hands up here, they have improved massively over their last visit to the Walkers, when they couldn't pass 10 yards without sticking the ball into touch, and camped all 11 players in their own half to scrape a draw in the most negative display I have seen in yonks at the Walkers. Clough has managed to turn them from plodders into a passing team, so kudos. But they came out and tried to attack us, and left themselves open to be torn apart. Perhaps they should have just sat back this time, they might have got something out of the game :P

Weale: 7 : had nothing to do.

Naughton: 10 : absolutely fantastic! always going up and down the line giving support to our attack, and won the penalty.

Hobbs: 9 : solid at the back. when needed, was solid.

Davies: 9 : as above.

Cunningham: 9 : Solid, gave support to attack.

Abe: 9 : Full of energy. A bit shakey at the start, but played well.

King: 9 : Great goal. Always threatening.

Wellens: 10 : MOTM. always gets stuck in, and a great assist.

Gally: 8 : Decent performance. However, one criticism; delivery from free-kicks and corners.

Howard: 8 : Again decent. However, needs to make more of an effort to close opposition down.

Vassell: 9 : Great. Goal disallowed (don't think he was off imo, not seen replay though).

Dyer: 8: Great performance when coming on. destroyed them with his pace and runs, with help from Naughton, constantly overlapping.

Waggy: n/a : can't really judge a performance over 2-3 mins.

Weale- 7 (Not a lot to do but did his job comfortably and without panic)

Naughton- 7 (Gets forward so well, won the penalty)

Hobbs- 8 (Very strong, very assured)

Davies- 8 (Just oozes class and composure)

Cunningham- 7 (Good display)

Vassell- 6 (Had a goal ruled out, did okay)

Abe- 7 (Gets better with every game)

Wellens- 8 (Lovely ball for King's goal, got stuck in)

King- 8 (Great run and finish, always supported the attack)

Gallagher- 7 (Worked hard and showed some nice touches)

Howard- 7 (Excellent tackle in the build-up to the first, good penalty, tested the Derby defence)

Archived