Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Susan Whelan calls on fans to trust club's decision to replace Pearson

If I'm a customer who regularly gives a decent proportion of my time and money to your business and am emotionally invested in it, and the employee in question is the only competent person you've had in the role for ten years, then yes I'd like you go to give me a shout. That's why I feel entitled to a proper explanation. Or at least some explanation of why the person you've now employed in the role is specifically suited to the company and position.

Delusional mate. We are owed nothing. I actually think they have handled it proffesionaly

If I'm a customer who regularly gives a decent proportion of my time and money to your business and am emotionally invested in it, and the employee in question is the only competent person you've had in the role for ten years, then yes I'd like you go to give me a shout. That's why I feel entitled to a proper explanation. Or at least some explanation of why the person you've now employed in the role is specifically suited to the company and position.

Do you think because you use a supermarket you've got a right to know why a cashier was sacked? Ridiculous argument.

Expecting more than that is not expecting too much. Why would anyone be happy with clichés, generic platitudes and a host of patronising mumbo jumbo even if that is all football fans usually get?

For the record I'm not surprised, but I'm extremely disappointed.

I was expecting "Nigel Pearson - The Musical" A full explanation in song and dance.

Did nobody read this bit?

"I am sure people would like to go into the detail but there are confidential issues on both sides. This is normal in a departure situation.

"I am not at liberty or wish to go into the detail of what happened.

To expand as a yawn clearly isn't acceptable, this tells us absolutely nothing. Nothing substantial about why Nigel left, nothing substantial about the recruitment processes and nothing to give any genuine reassurance that Ranieri is more capable of pursuing 'the long-term objectives and vision the owners have for this club'. Pretty uninspiring all in all.

Pretty much this. It'll always be a mystery now and that's that. I just hope we aren't looking back in a couple of years yet again at what might have been.

I'm prepared to give Ranieri a chance, but the proof will be on the pitch. He's making the right noises to be fair to him, but you'd imagine someone with experience would know the right things to say.

Judgement reserved.

Contradicts itself a little does it not? Was Ranieri seriously their first choice even if they were approaching O'Neill & Hiddink as well? All seems slightly odd to me.

Do you think because you use a supermarket you've got a right to know why a cashier was sacked? Ridiculous argument.

You're asking us to treat football clubs like any other business. While I accept that they will function in a similar way it's incorrect to say the two are the same.  I take it you don't support a supermarket after all...

Not exactly comparable are they?

Sporting teams and supermarkets are very different, specifically because the people who support football teams have emotional attachments to those entities. Nor is a cashier fundamentally important to the business, unlike a football manager.

I read it, I wasn't satisfied.

It's amazing that this even needs to be stated. There are invariably confidentiality issues involved when people are sacked from their jobs. It's the same in all industries, including football. Being a Leicester fan entitles nobody to an explanation of why Pearson was sacked. It's astonishing to see how many people seem to be labouring under the bizarre misapprehension that they are somehow owed one.

Not exactly comparable are they?

Sporting teams and supermarkets are very different, specifically because the people who support football teams have emotional attachments to those entities. Nor is a cashier fundamentally important to the business, unlike a football manager.

You said;

If I'm a customer

She quite clearly explained what many have attempted to tell you on here that there are legal issues preventing the disclosure of specific details relating to Pearson's sacking. This is likely to protect Pearson as much as the club. I don't know why you're finding that so difficult to understand.

As for going into more detail about why ranieri is the right man, well that wouldn't mean a lot coming from Susan Whelan would it? Whatever she says about football can be criticised on the basis that she's not a 'football person'. We'll find out for real soon enough whether he's the right man or not and if he's not, then the board are open to criticism.

Personally I'm impressed how closely the club has played its cards to its chest.

Just about nothing seems to have gotten out regarding the circumstances of Pearson's sacking. And quite rightly.

Who knows, it could be that Pearson is going for unfair dismissal. There may have been a clause to not divulge anything to the press etc and let's face it, we've heard nothing from Pearson. He seems to have vanished.

I reckon the club has been highly professional in its dealings and that shouldn't be compromised just because certain fans feel the deserve an explanation.

All will be revealed..In good time.

business and am emotionally invested in it

Yes Webbo, I also said this. You can't just pick and choose, the example has to fulfill all of the criteria I mentioned really for you to use it to pick my argument apart.

You said;

Personally I'm impressed how closely the club has played its cards to its chest.

Just about nothing seems to have gotten out regarding the circumstances of Pearson's sacking. And quite rightly.

Who knows, it could be that Pearson is going for unfair dismissal. There may have been a clause to not divulge anything to the press etc and let's face it, we've heard nothing from Pearson. He seems to have vanished.

I reckon the club has been highly professional in its dealings and that shouldn't be compromised just because certain fans feel the deserve an explanation.

All will be revealed..In good time.

Pearson plays his cards as close to his chest as anyone

Yes, he could be going for unfair dismissal, especially as it's 'not for football reasons' or the legal issues could be in paying off his contract and the clauses attached, eg. not able to enter new contract for a period of time etc & etc.

We're very unlikely to hear any internal matters from his side either, employee of the clubs or not

Yes Webbo, I also said this. You can't just pick and choose, the example has to fulfill all of the criteria I mentioned really for you to use it to pick my argument apart.

So if you're emotionally invested in something you're entitled to know everything about it? 

So if you're emotionally invested in something you're entitled to know everything about it? 

No. If I'm emotionally invested, invest a decent proportion of my time and money to it. Am regularly told that the business couldn't exist without me and people like me (which they clearly don't mean but if they're going to say it to butter me up they should act like it's true), then I think I'm entitled to know the reasons behind important decisions that are on the face of it completely illogical. You clearly disagree, but I really highly doubt you'll convince me otherwise to be honest.

No. If I'm emotionally invested, invest a decent proportion of my time and money to it. Am regularly told that the business couldn't exist without me and people like me (which they clearly don't mean but if they're going to say it to butter me up they should act like it's true), then I think I'm entitled to know the reasons behind important decisions that are on the face of it completely illogical. You clearly disagree, but I really highly doubt you'll convince me otherwise to be honest.

Well there are legal reasons why they can't so what you feel entitled to is immaterial. 

Well there are legal reasons why they can't so what you feel entitled to is immaterial. 

Okay. No one in a position of authority has actually said they won't comment for legal reasons but my knowledge of the legal system isn't great so I'll take your word for it. The comments about Ranieri are still very generic, uninspired and not particularly comforting though.

I'm not sure I can trust them, I don't agree with what they've done, I don't think it's right for the club so to trust their decision just doesn't sit right with me.

That said I'll support the club and ultimately the owners have made their bed, the now have to deal with it, it could go fantastically well.

I hope I'm proved wrong and it does but they also have to deal with the consequences if it goes wrong, big consequences. I see that as more risk than reward scenario.

I can't see this issue simply flatlining, appeasing both views, it's gonna end well or awfully bad.

I am gonna bring up my conspiracy theory, sense of distrust and ask a few questions of a few things I find strange though;
No owners present at the press conference, Not being shown or broadcasted live - in fear of uneasy questions - possible to request them being edited out, not asked, or not answer them. I just think it speaks volumes they are keeping a low profile and seems they're avoiding something by not being present.

Okay. No one in a position of authority has actually said they won't comment for legal reasons but my knowledge of the legal system isn't great so I'll take your word for it. The comments about Ranieri are still very generic, uninspired and not particularly comforting though.

I literally think you are wanting too much here Mark. And I'm not surprised. You're probably smarting at Pearson's departure and looking for stuff to worry about.

Again, the club have been professional throughout. Whelan has said Claudio was the first choice and he has come across well today.

If this wasn't after Nige's departure, I doubt you'd be concerned.

You haven't listened to many press conferences, have you?

Can you give us an example of other clubs comments about their new manager that would make you happy?

I think all clubs come out with the same bollocks, same as players always sign because it's a big club going places.

Archived