Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Susan Whelan calls on fans to trust club's decision to replace Pearson

Without wishing to be inflammatory, why did we trust them for the past years when they brought NP back and got us promoted and now we don't?

You're putting the emphasis on the wrong person(s) here.

Pearson was the man I put my trust in first and foremost because he had a consistent record of success. As a result of their decision to continue employing him I trusted the owners too. I could be confident with Pearson in charge that we were going to progress. I cannot say the same for Ranieri because I don't know him yet. Unless there were good reasons it seems an unnecessary risk to change managers, as such I've become less trusting of our owners.

Without wishing to be inflammatory, why did we trust them for the past years when they brought NP back and got us promoted and now we don't?

This is what is most baffling, there was a point last season when they wanted to sack Pearson, they even did, and I don't think anyone would have blamed them. They wanted him gone and the only reason he didn't go was because there were no candidates to replace him and it was in the best interests of the club to keep him on. They were rightly praised for sticking with him throughout the season and in doing so the miraculous escape happened.

Here's the kicker if they had sacked Pearson after the Hull game nobody would have stopped trusting them, some would have been happy, most would have been upset, but understanding why. Some would have criticised for not doing it sooner others would have claimed Oearson could still keep us up and been laughed at for being deluded...

The point is Pearson was on thin ice with the owners and his outbursts after the sacking incident didn't help and his son's antics might have been the final straw. We'll probably never know, but he gave them plenty of opportunities to sack him in his 3 and a half years here. The fact they did it preseason giving themselves time to replace him, the new manager time to assess the squad and a transfer window, then this is infinitely better than waiting for the next outburst/run of relegation form and making changes in the middle of the season.

Of course we could have finished top 10 under Pearson, but we could have also bombed in the first 5 games and had everyone calling for his head again. Whether Ranieri is the right appointment we will soon find out, but we will never know if sacking Pearson was the wrong one so we have to trust the owners, support the new manager and the team.

This is what is most baffling, there was a point last season when they wanted to sack Pearson, they even did, and I don't think anyone would have blamed them. They wanted him gone and the only reason he didn't go was because there were no candidates to replace him and it was in the best interests of the club to keep him on. They were rightly praised for sticking with him throughout the season and in doing so the miraculous escape happened.

Here's the kicker if they had sacked Pearson after the Hull game nobody would have stopped trusting them, some would have been happy, most would have been upset, but understanding why. Some would have criticised for not doing it sooner others would have claimed Oearson could still keep us up and been laughed at for being deluded...

The point is Pearson was on thin ice with the owners and his outbursts after the sacking incident didn't help and his son's antics might have been the final straw. We'll probably never know, but he gave them plenty of opportunities to sack him in his 3 and a half years here. The fact they did it preseason giving themselves time to replace him, the new manager time to assess the squad and a transfer window, then this is infinitely better than waiting for the next outburst/run of relegation form and making changes in the middle of the season.

Of course we could have finished top 10 under Pearson, but we could have also bombed in the first 5 games and had everyone calling for his head again. Whether Ranieri is the right appointment we will soon find out, but we will never know if sacking Pearson was the wrong one so we have to trust the owners, support the new manager and the team.

The reasoning you've given here is that 1. We don't know how Pearson would have done 2. We don't know how well Ranieri will do. Therefore we ought to trust the decision to bring in Ranieri in place of Pearson. This doesn't follow at all. If you aren't sure either way then you can't just pretend that the option we've gone with now is a good one. I agree about supporting the manager, just not we should back a decision we feel unsure about.

In any case I disagree that it's a case of picking between "don't know" and "don't know". I was fairly confident going into this season with Pearson. He'd sorted out our problems, nailed down a gameplan, had our squad fighting hard and was making good additions in the summer. To me Pearson looks like a better bet than "don't know".

The reasoning you've given here is that 1. We don't know how Pearson would have done 2. We don't know how well Ranieri will do. Therefore we ought to trust the decision to bring in Ranieri in place of Pearson. This doesn't follow at all. If you aren't sure either way then you can't just pretend that the option we've gone with now is a good one. I agree about supporting the manager, just not we should back a decision we feel unsure about.

In any case I disagree that it's a case of picking between "don't know" and "don't know". I was fairly confident going into this season with Pearson. He'd sorted out our problems, nailed down a gameplan, had our squad fighting hard and was making good additions in the summer. To me Pearson looks like a better bet than "don't know".

Really? As successful as Pearson ultimately was last season he also oversaw what was a truly terrible 6 months of results. We survived last season on momentum, spirit and lacklustre opposition rather than tactical genius. This not to take anything away from Pearson's involvement, but he tried enough unsuccessful formations throughout the season, including changing the successful one of the season before and from the early season successes to the most ineffectual formation ever known.

Ranieri first choice. Who are you kidding? Must think we're stupid.

Everyone knows Preki and Graham Smith were first choice but turned us down.

Really? As successful as Pearson ultimately was last season he also oversaw what was a truly terrible 6 months of results. We survived last season on momentum, spirit and lacklustre opposition rather than tactical genius. This not to take anything away from Pearson's involvement, but he tried enough unsuccessful formations throughout the season, including changing the successful one of the season before and from the early season successes to the most ineffectual formation ever known.

It's easy to select the worst parts (however long they may be) and make it look like we had a bad season. Personally think it's quite a bit fairer to assess the season in full. We finished 14th.

As I said previously, Pearson appeared to have dealt with the problems that we had in mid-season and had made a good start to the summer transfer window. Both of those things gave me good reason to be optimistic that we were progressing, a lot of people agreed with me. I'd pick that over the current flip of a coin, no question.

(1) "At the time of his departure we made a statement and it was quite clear that the board felt its relationship with Nigel was just no longer viable and we had to make a change".

(2) "In the pursuit of the long-term objectives and vision the owners have for this club, a change was necessary".

These are the 2 statements that are hard to reconcile. On the one hand, the working relationship had broken down so a change was needed. On the other, a change was needed to pursue the owners' long-term objectives and vision. Figure that one out!

Maybe it's just a load of flannel designed to keep the waters muddied, or a load of poorly-expressed guff, Maybe, on the other hand, the working relationship broke down, at least in part, because of "fundamental differences in perspective" (first statement) over "the owners' long-term objectives and vision"? So, disagreements over football development strategy might be more central than some believe.  :dunno:

Of course, that might only be part of the story. Maybe their patience had been stretched by the media incidents, culminating in the Thai holiday fiasco....and then a dispute arose over wage structure, transfer policy, achievement targets or whatever.

The bit about legal issues sounds genuine to me. If there had been no legal issues pending and NP had been sacked without justification, surely he'd have made a few acerbic comments to the media, as he did in the wake of his 2010 departure: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/l/leicester_city/9055151.stmInstead, he seems to have completely gone to ground. The alternative is that he was sacked with very good justification - not just differences of opinion, but downright abuse or insubordination - but then surely there'd be no legal issues and it would be in the board's interest to get the fans onside by making clear that NP had done something completely out of order?

As Thracian and others have rightly said, none of this is Ranieri's doing, so we need to give him a fair chance. He seems a likeable man, with a lot of experience and I hope he takes us forward. Now, though, I'm approaching this season "fingers crossed" that we get lucky with him and curious about how this massive gamble will work out....whereas I'd have been fired up with (controlled) optimism and fierce commitment if this managerial change hadn't happened. Hopefully, it'll work out well and we'll all be singing Ranieri's praises in a few weeks time, delighted at how he's building on Pearson's legacy and taking us further. Unfairly, though, he'll be in for a tough time if we're struggling.

My main hope now is that we don't see wholesale changes in the squad. Maybe 3-4 players (preferably including Cambiasso) to improve the 1st team squad, plus the odd talented youngster capable of making an impact in 1-2 years time. I hope Ranieri can motivate, work with and slowly improve the existing squad.  :/  :fc:

FOOTBALL LEAGUE.

This is the Barclays English Premier League!!

Have you heard about second season syndrome?...Your statement is wildly speculative at best.. So much so that I'm now going bed!!!

The irony. You call him for 'speculation' (which was actually based on something perfectly valid) whilst tackling it with genuine 'speculation' in second-season syndrome (which is an unproven myth).

I wasn't expecting any answers from the conference so I wasn't disappointed. What I did take from it was Ranieri saying the right things. Targeting 1 more point than last season, improving season after season. That's really the Pearson way of building a club (makes you wonder even more why they fired him but hey ho, what's done is done). As long as we carry on not setting silly targets, building slowly but surely, not trying to run before we can walk and not trying to fly before we can run to take off speed, there's a good chance we'll be in the division a good long while and maybe, just maybe, better the O'Neill era. I still think we'd have achieved that under Pearson though.

I read the other day that Ranieri doesn't get involved in transfers, he describes the profile of the player he wants and leaves it to the scouts to identify them and the board to get them in. Not sure I'd be comfortable with players coming in that I hadn't at least spoken to personally but at least it's better than the board bringing them in without the managers knowledge or consent.

The irony. You call him for 'speculation' (which was actually based on something perfectly valid) whilst tackling it with genuine 'speculation' in second-season syndrome (which is an unproven myth).

Your just speculating about the speculations.

You've used caps and loads of exclamation marks.

You've certainly convinced me to see things the other way.

I'm sorry for ever suggesting the opposite opinion to your 'second season syndrome' cliche.

I'll let you off just this once!!!!! X x lol

The bottom line is that we have no alternative to trusting the owners in fact we never have had.

They have always made the decisions maybe pressurised by the odd protest even then they were never  to keep a manager that the owners  were trying to get rid of.

We as always will blindly follow with the odd moan and protest hoping that they get it right, our continued support is unconditional.

It came across as a standard diplomatic press conference and disclosed about as much as they could, really.

I was more interested in what Ranieri had to say. To me, he's saying all the right things so far, even complimenting the previous manager's spirit as a factor that contributed to the end of season run.

It appears to me that some people aren't even prepared to give him a chance for the only reason that he's not Pearson. It isn't Ranieri's fault that he's replaced him, he's now in charge and we should support him. However you feel about Pearson's sacking should be aimed at those that made the decision not his replacement.

I'm prepared to give Ranieri a chance and to be honest, I'm not expected too much in this first year as, despite what he says, his playing style as well as management style in general will be different to what the players are used to. To improve on last year's position and points tally would be nothing but miraculous.

I don't think we can really compare this appointment to Sven's appointment other than us employing someone who comes with a huge reputation. Sven's appointment wasn't at the right time, being still in the Championship. The player purchases were poor as no one decent wanted to drop down to that level and any player that had a decent reputation cost us a fortune as clubs realised we had money. Let's face it, most of the players Sven brought to the club had been having relative success at their previous clubs.

Even the appointment of Sousa wasn't too left-field. He'd had relative success at Swansea and had a reputation in the game due to his playing career. He's also gone on to have some success at other clubs. He just tried too change too much, too soon.

In a time when people complain about managers not being given enough time to turn things around, we should stick with the new manager the same way we stuck with Pearson. Let's face it, without Pearson's previous success here, taking last season only into consideration, he would have been sacked properly on that crazy Sunday night as results and performances were below par. The club remained faithful and we're enjoying the rewards.

It's a shame Pearson had to go, he had improved year on year and as a relatively young manager, he was also learning the job himself, particularly at this level, but he's gone now and we must move on.

The bottom line is that we have no alternative to trusting the owners in fact we never have had.

They have always made the decisions maybe pressurised by the odd protest even then they were never  to keep a manager that the owners  were trying to get rid of.

We as always will blindly follow with the odd moan and protest hoping that they get it right, our continued support is unconditional.

I take a slightly different view.

My support to the club is unconditional, regardless of the owners, success or otherwise, which league we are in, etc.  It's in my blood and there's nothing I can do about it, I couldn't support another club. 

The owners, however, are a different matter.  I do support the current owners, they have backed the club with significant finances and appear to be committed to our progress.  I am thankful that we have our current owners; however I only have to speak with fans of some other clubs to realise that having decent owners is not a right and can be a burden (e.g. in the recent past Birmingham, Blackpool, even Newcastle).  So I personally won't blindly support owners, and if I feel that they are taking actions that are not in our club's interest, will express my opinion accordingly.

I take a slightly different view.

My support to the club is unconditional, regardless of the owners, success or otherwise, which league we are in, etc.  It's in my blood and there's nothing I can do about it, I couldn't support another club. 

The owners, however, are a different matter.  I do support the current owners, they have backed the club with significant finances and appear to be committed to our progress.  I am thankful that we have our current owners; however I only have to speak with fans of some other clubs to realise that having decent owners is not a right and can be a burden (e.g. in the recent past Birmingham, Blackpool, even Newcastle).  So I personally won't blindly support owners, and if I feel that they are taking actions that are not in our club's interest, will express my opinion accordingly.

I think that is pretty much what i said, unconditional but with the odd moan or protest which in reality gets you nowhere even more so if your opinion is just expressed on an internet forum rather than directly to the club.

It appears to me that some people aren't even prepared to give him a chance for the only reason that he's not Pearson. It isn't Ranieri's fault that he's replaced him, he's now in charge and we should support him. However you feel about Pearson's sacking should be aimed at those that made the decision not his replacement.

Exactly. Some are behaving like children who are angry that mummy left daddy and are taking it out on mummy's 'new friend'. Irrespective of whatever qualities the new man on the scene has, he'll never be daddy and is therefore to be despised.

It came across as a standard diplomatic press conference and disclosed about as much as they could, really.

I was more interested in what Ranieri had to say. To me, he's saying all the right things so far, even complimenting the previous manager's spirit as a factor that contributed to the end of season run.

I'm prepared to give Ranieri a chance and to be honest, I'm not expected too much in this first year as, despite what he says, his playing style as well as management style in general will be different to what the players are used to. To improve on last year's position and points tally would be nothing but miraculous.

I don't think we can really compare this appointment to Sven's appointment other than us employing someone who comes with a huge reputation. Sven's appointment wasn't at the right time, being still in the Championship. The player purchases were poor as no one decent wanted to drop down to that level and any player that had a decent reputation cost us a fortune as clubs realised we had money. Let's face it, most of the players Sven brought to the club had been having relative success at their previous clubs.

Even the appointment of Sousa wasn't too left-field. He'd had relative success at Swansea and had a reputation in the game due to his playing career. He's also gone on to have some success at other clubs. He just tried too change too much, too soon.

In a time when people complain about managers not being given enough time to turn things around, we should stick with the new manager the same way we stuck with Pearson. Let's face it, without Pearson's previous success here, taking last season only into consideration, he would have been sacked properly on that crazy Sunday night as results and performances were below par. The club remained faithful and we're enjoying the rewards.

It's a shame Pearson had to go, he had improved year on year and as a relatively young manager, he was also learning the job himself, particularly at this level, but he's gone now and we must move on.

That is a bit myth building as he was good season one (promotion) and improved a bit further season 2 - season 3 he was pants at Hull and finished below Sven's City side and season 4 got back to where he was after season 2 which included the worst run we have had for years - season 5 he did very well (improved) and season 6 did well for 9 games at the end and 5 at the beginning but otherwise was poor - 6 seasons without ever really getting above the lower third of the Prem and then only for 2 weeks at the end of the season - it was OK but not as great as the faithful believe - or do I expect too much?

Everytime I have used the term 'Trust me' it usually means I'm completely unsure about what has just came out of my mouth and am trying to convince myself as well as the person I'm speaking to. 

The thing about trust is that it takes a long time to build up but only a second to lose. Having made glaring errors during their ownership, they seemed to be building the club in the most successful way. However this complete change of direction and they are asking us to trust them on faith rather than any convincing evidence that it is going to be okay.

That is a bit myth building as he was good season one (promotion) and improved a bit further season 2 - season 3 he was pants at Hull and finished below Sven's City side and season 4 got back to where he was after season 2 which included the worst run we have had for years - season 5 he did very well (improved) and season 6 did well for 9 games at the end and 5 at the beginning but otherwise was poor - 6 seasons without ever really getting above the lower third of the Prem and then only for 2 weeks at the end of the season - it was OK but not as great as the faithful believe - or do I expect too much?

We could give you some input if you finally spilt the beans and let us all know what your expectations were at the beginning of last season, for instance - unless you saw it all coming the way it did like you usually do with you fancy crystal ball and all that schpiel.

I'll sum up my feelings on the press conference with the following analogy:

Imagine my sister has this fella, and I really get on with him... He's a bit of a twat sometimes but essentially he's a really good mate who I've known for ages.

Then one day I find out he's been dumped, and the next time I see her she turns up with another bloke and he's nice, he's suave, he says all the right things and I'm sure I'll get to know him better...

Then she's all like "I'm SO into him, he's the one" and I know she's my sister and I'll support her decision no matter what.

...But I still can't help but think she's been a bit of a bitch.

Sorry just seen this..nearly choked on my tuna sandwich, laugh oh I did laugh..

You'll be asking your sister next if you could sleep with her potential 'The right man', spend intimate soul searching exchange moments. Never put a woman whos your relative, to explain any logic or comparisons in football emotions.

Now you could opinionate, and point out / question giving your thoughts why this woman is fronting up to the media, and discussing board descisions.I would of thought it would be pertinant to ask, why the owners are not facing the media.

Is she the front for the Owners?? I have heard her 3 times, not once as she spirrted out somthing relevant to fans or media's interest.Shes a blank wall, I'd even feel sorry for her if she ever faced the Dragons Den Clan.

I have no idea if thats good or not, but as a fan, would appreciate the owners if they stood in the front line somewhat more.

You know... the board/owners were the people who, for the benefit of the club...appointed Pearson, and according to all reports, that was a very successful appointment. Therefore, we must assume that this appointment (by the same people) for the benefit of the club might be very successful also?

Archived