Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Merging Cultures

Blue Friday #backingtheblues

I like this Backing The Blues campaign. It's great for publicity and great that companies/organisations/schools etc feel like joining in.

But do it everyday! Not just when the Premier League trophy is near you. Not saying that everyone taking part is just joining the bandwagon today, but there's bound to be someone/some people who are just joining in today then disappear.

Backing the Blues - So so close but not a celebration - not yet

By Leicester Mercury  |  Posted: April 29, 2016

14151362-large.jpg

#backingtheblues

Comments (0)

Today blue is most definitely the colour – today we are all #backingtheblues.

Our public buildings will be blue, well-known landmarks will be blue, schools will be blue, businesses will be blue.

In fact, almost everything will be blue except the mood around Leicester and Leicestershire.

The reason for this is, as if we needed reminding, that one of the most amazing sporting stories of all time is coming to a potentially spectacular conclusion.

Claudio Ranieri's unfancied Leicester City are so, so close to clinching the Premier League title.

Let's be clear, nothing has been won yet.

Mahrez, Morgan, Drinky, Kasper and City's other heroes still have to march out at Old Trafford on Sunday and do a job.

But as they do they'll have no doubt that tens of thousands of Foxes fans will be willing them towards the finish line.

All through the season the crowd at the King Power has been a twelfth man for the team.

The players and the manager have acknowledged the supporters' role in this remarkable run from relegation certs to champions elect.

Backing the Blues, the campaign of the Leicester Mercury and BBC Radio Leicester, will hopefully give the Foxes the last little push they need towards the trophy.

Tantalisingly, that trophy will be in the city today for fans to see and, if all goes well, it will be back hoisted high above Wes Morgan's head in eight days' time at the King Power.

So now is the time to focus on City and on the prize.

Now is the time to ignore the recent glut of whiny articles by London journalists stating Tottenham are the prettiest side and somehow deserve the title more, as well as the pundits who have been writing Leicester off all season and still trumpet the entitlement of the "big four" teams.

Regardless of Leicester's incredible achievements so far, Backing the Blues is not a celebration – not yet.

But this is the fans' chance to set up a special end to a sensational season.

Read more: http://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/Backing-Blues-close-celebration/story-29198179-detail/story.html#ixzz47CmQ5lwO 
Follow us: @@leicester_Merc on Twitter | leicestermercury on Facebook

You realise it's not the club organising it right?

Where did I say it was?

It's a stupid idea to parade the trophy around the City regardless of who's organizing it (I'm guessing it's RL). 

Can they not wait a week or two?

I can't see why this couldn't have been done in a couple of weeks' time.

I see the blue Friday thing as being about supporting the team and encouraging them to go on and win. Not celebrating winning the league. I remember the excitement before all the Wembley play-off finals. It really got me into Leicester as a kid. I see it as the same. It's about building excitement. Getting kids to back the team. Letting the team know we are all behind them.

(The trophy tour can wait).

I see the blue Friday thing as being about supporting the team and encouraging them to go on and win. Not celebrating winning the league. I remember the excitement before all the Wembley play-off finals. It really got me into Leicester as a kid. I see it as the same. It's about building excitement. Getting kids to back the team. Letting the team know we are all behind them.

(The trophy tour can wait).

This

Where did I say it was?

It's a stupid idea to parade the trophy around the City regardless of who's organizing it (I'm guessing it's RL). 

Can they not wait a week or two?

Pretty sure the Premier League would have organised it.

Then the #BackingTheBlues thing has come off the back of it.

Pretty sure the Premier League would have organised it.

Then the #BackingTheBlues thing has come off the back of it.

Not according to this article Stan. 

http://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/Barclays-Premier-League-trophy-set-tour-Leicester/story-29180594-detail/story.html

The trophy is being paraded around the city as part of the Backing the Blues campaign, being run by the Leicester Mercury and BBC Radio Leicester.

Wtf NOT won anything yet omg

What's your point here mate? People are wearing blue to back the team so that they do go on to win.

Some of the people on this forum, strike me as the type who will celebrate by having a fish supper. I fully plan to go on a bender when we get the job done!

Really are some miserable people out there lol we're all getting behind our city...wtf is with the negativity?

It's just people somehow convinced this is going to bite us in the arse.

Even if we do lose the title from here, it won't be because the casuals and the plastics in the city are getting carried away lol

But football fans are superstitious like that. Stevie 'Slippy' Gerrard probably doesn't help things.

Been in town today and I'm loving this. There's such a great feeling and a buzz in the city, and contrary to the belief that this is tempting fate, I get the feeling this is part of the last big push to get the lads over the line.

However, it was all a bit cringeworthy at Uni of Leicester this morning. I thought I'd go and check it out after a lecture and get involved, but my God, it was so fake! People there who clearly knew nothing about football pretending to be massive fans. I felt oddly out of place at my own uni in my home city. lol The support is great, don't get me wrong, I love it that people now pay attention to our club; but that wasn't for me. I get the sense it was all one big media attention seeking fest than anything else. I really hope they enjoy the party, because the feeling in the city right now is amazing. I also hope they do stick with us and "back the blues" for years to come through thick and thin. 

But oh well, I can't wait to enjoy the end of this season with fellow fans who this means the world to.

Not that it's done yet... But this is the season for Leicester!

I can understand people that feel like it's all a bit premature but you're not gonna stop other companies /media outlets etc running with the campaign / story (just as they have done all season) so it's a bit pointless working yourself up over it IMHO.

Archived